Facebook Twitter MySpace YouTube

Forum Search   Advanced Search
June 30, 2015, 12:23:24 AM
Welcome, Guest.
Please login above or register.
News: OIAM!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: True Detective Season 2  (Read 3150 times)
Monty Burns
SLAP Pal
Rep: 0
Release the hounds

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2015, 10:47:07 AM »

Can you explain the astronauts quote then because I sure as fuck don't get it. 

I think everyone involved will try to force the square peg that is colin farrell into the round hole that McConaughey's character left unfortunately. 

I think he's saying as kids we romanticize and dream about things that no longer exist. Of doing something badass and heroic and incomprehensible but the most badass part about it has been taken away. Literally and figuratively "reaching for the moon" when there is no moon to reach for. Probably echoing what he though his career in law enforcement would be.

Or in a less profound way it's like becoming a pro skateboarder in an era with no videos. Or saying you want to be an NFL Linebacker when tackling is essentially illegal these days.

I think the writer thought of that line one day, and probably forced it into the script, but its still a great line.

And as far as Farrell being a "square peg", a few years ago every person on the planet would have said the same thing about McConaughey.

Watch "In Bruges". Dude can act.

Yes he can act .  In bruges and Triage are great examples of that . But if you see alot of movies with him you will notice its abit hit and miss .  Compare him to Robert De Niro where about 90% of his acting is amazing . Farrell is more 50 50

Hoping Rachel McAdams char will get good , not sure if its cause I find her / her char really attractive , but whatever

Anyways yeah , one episode and 3 or 4 pages ...  I guess we all want it to be good
ill_Murray
SLAP Pal
Rep: 228

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »

I think everyone involved will try to force the square peg that is colin farrell into the round hole that McConaughey's character left unfortunately. 

I think he's saying as kids we romanticize and dream about things that no longer exist. Of doing something badass and heroic and incomprehensible but the most badass part about it has been taken away. Literally and figuratively "reaching for the moon" when there is no moon to reach for. Probably echoing what he though his career in law enforcement would be.

Or in a less profound way it's like becoming a pro skateboarder in an era with no videos. Or saying you want to be an NFL Linebacker when tackling is essentially illegal these days.

I think the writer thought of that line one day, and probably forced it into the script, but its still a great line.

And as far as Farrell being a "square peg", a few years ago every person on the planet would have said the same thing about McConaughey.

Your explanation of the quote certainly makes sense, can't argue with you there.  The whole "I'll spank you in front of the cheerleaders" line must've thrown me more than I thought. 

I was in in way criticizing Farrell's acting, I really like him.  I'm just saying Rust Cohle was an epicly written and portrayed character that really solidified how good season 1 actually was and they(writers/director/even some audience members) are trying too hard to make Velcoro into another Rust Cohle instead of just letting him be his own person.   
Tracer
Rep: -65480

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2015, 05:49:44 PM »

Awesome movie, but sooo sad. Farrell is the best actor
The Woodsman
Rep: 9

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »

I agree there is just way to much going on, way more characters than last time but I am hoping that a few things will happen to make it easier to follow.

1. One of them will die less than half way through the season, probably Vince Vaughn not cause I don't like him it just seems the most likely.
2. Two of them team up, probably McAdams and moto-cheeks
3. Two of them clash and cause big problems for one another, probably Velcoro and McAdams
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi
QUIT SINNIN
Rep: 16
PATSY

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2015, 11:35:20 PM »

Your explanation of the quote certainly makes sense, can't argue with you there.  The whole "I'll spank you in front of the cheerleaders" line must've thrown me more than I thought. 

I was in in way criticizing Farrell's acting, I really like him.  I'm just saying Rust Cohle was an epicly written and portrayed character that really solidified how good season 1 actually was and they(writers/director/even some audience members) are trying too hard to make Velcoro into another Rust Cohle instead of just letting him be his own person.   

Hahaha yeah that was pretty over the top. It almost felt like a scene out of the Nic Cage/Werner Herzog remake of "Bad Lieutenant." Which isn't a bad thing.

I can see youre point about Farrell's character being a little too similar to Cohle.
castillo's curls
Rep: 61

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2015, 11:42:04 PM »

If you don't like Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen then fuck off.

brycickle
SLAP Pal
Rep: -18

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »

Ummmmm...That was bold.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing
SLAP Pal
Rep: 419

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2015, 08:06:20 PM »

caw caw caw caw caw

Pro model Dildos.  Now you can really ride your favorite pro's dicks as hard as you do in every other aspect
augustmoon
SLAP Pal
Rep: 68

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »

very "To Live and Die in LA"
HATE!
Administrator
SLAP Pal
Rep: 894

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2015, 09:16:40 PM »

Still not to the level of the first season's stuff, but this episode was much better for me.  Vaughn was the best part of it.  Also, more McAdams and Farrell in a car, please.
Bobby Peru
Administrator
SLAP Pal
Rep: 352
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2015, 09:22:27 PM »

Ummmmm...That was bold.

Definitely. I'm pleasantly surprised with how bold it was.

I rewatched the pilot yesterday and remembered how great the show was right off the bat. While this season isn't living up to that so far, I welcome the departure. Keep the vibe and experiment in other aspects.

One thing to consider. Last season didn't get particularly political until a ways into the show, and even then it was peripheral, whereas this is overwhelmingly political. I'm hoping the rich creeps here tie into the rich creeps in season one later on.
Greg Road
Rep: -21

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »

This is so China Town. It's awesome for sure. There's no way Velcoro is dead already. If he was going to die that guy would've blown his head off - instead he shot him in the stomach - the way you shoot someone when you want them to suffer for a while and or, die slowly. Vince Vaughan rules in this - I love how television is the way for disgruntled type cast actors to redeem their careers now. I still think they're all a bit weird when in the same room together - not really feeling that chemistry but it could be a lot worse. So far so good!
teh canadian suit
Rep: -3
Always lurking.

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2015, 07:06:06 AM »

It's getting better, I think. Vince Vaughns story about his dad was pretty chilling. They all might be too deep though?

So cheeks is a closeted homosexual who was a mercenary or something? Have they clarified was he in the army or he was a killer for hire?
Colin Farrell is fucked up because his wife got raped and he killed the rapist.

I doubt Farrell is dead solely because I think he's going to break open the whole story fully

The shot of that dudes mutilated dick area was gnaaaarly
p-shuvs and v-flips
ill_Murray
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2015, 07:15:51 AM »

Last season didn't get particularly political until a ways into the show, and even then it was peripheral, whereas this is overwhelmingly political. I'm hoping the rich creeps here tie into the rich creeps in season one later on.

I really enjoyed watching each characters' superiors defining their parameters for the case.  

I'm almost positive it was said there'd be no connection between the two seasons.  

There's no way Velcoro is dead already. If he was going to die that guy would've blown his head off - instead he shot him in the stomach - the way you shoot someone when you want them to suffer for a while and or, die slowly.

I don't know how this could even be the case.  Two hits from a shotgun are bad news for anyone, let a lone a point blank gut shot.  That shit would leave a fist sized hole even with a choke on the barrel.  But this is TV and CF probably doesn't come cheap...

What the fuck was up with Taylor Kitcsh's weird incestuously inclined mother and his desire to fagbash?

If Velcoro is dead, I can only find myself rooting for his partner Teague Dixon, who has a hilarious IMDB page description by the way.

The show feels over-written, like they saw what made season 1 successful and tried to amplify it.  

An e-cig? C'monnnnnnnnn
Sleazy
SLAP Pal
Rep: 339
tiger style

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2015, 07:33:37 AM »

maybe colin had a vest on

i'm probably not a picky as most are about these shows. as long as i'm entertained then it's good to me. has an old school twin peaks kind of vibe too it, acting is good, story is interesting enough to have me wondering. music and editing are good. i like how they are focusing on the crusty side of LA. down to keep watching. i guess my wife and i sometimes have a hard time finding shows to fill the hour we have for tv each day so whatever the best option is, is good enough.
Fongstarr.
SLAP Pal
Rep: 71

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »

^^^^^I thought vest to. Unless it's a gunshot to the face in movies, they can always seem to stay alive in some sort of unrealistic scenario.

Something about this makes me hate the new season and I think it has to do with it even being taken place in LA. I loved the whole Louisiana feel in the first one. This just makes it feel like another LA cop movie with like a gritty movie filter over it.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!
brycickle
SLAP Pal
Rep: -18

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »

My guess is bean bag rounds, or salt.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.

ice nine
SLAP Pal
Rep: 116

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »

Last season didn't get particularly political until a ways into the show, and even then it was peripheral, whereas this is overwhelmingly political. I'm hoping the rich creeps here tie into the rich creeps in season one later on.

I really enjoyed watching each characters' superiors defining their parameters for the case.  

I'm almost positive it was said there'd be no connection between the two seasons.  

There's no way Velcoro is dead already. If he was going to die that guy would've blown his head off - instead he shot him in the stomach - the way you shoot someone when you want them to suffer for a while and or, die slowly.

I don't know how this could even be the case.  Two hits from a shotgun are bad news for anyone, let a lone a point blank gut shot.  That shit would leave a fist sized hole even with a choke on the barrel.  But this is TV and CF probably doesn't come cheap...

What the fuck was up with Taylor Kitcsh's weird incestuously inclined mother and his desire to fagbash?

If Velcoro is dead, I can only find myself rooting for his partner Teague Dixon, who has a hilarious IMDB page description by the way.

The show feels over-written, like they saw what made season 1 successful and tried to amplify it.  

An e-cig? C'monnnnnnnnn

i agree its over written. a lot of lines were terrible. still enjoyed last nights epsiode, even tho the sound was so bad that i couldn't make out a bunch of lines. please don't put stupid spoilers in here tho, looking on IMDB to see who is in what episode? why would you do that? its fun to speculate and guess. do you read the last chapter of a book first? also no one gives a fuck about your low standards sleazy.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here
ill_Murray
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2015, 02:08:10 PM »

stuff
i agree its over written. a lot of lines were terrible. still enjoyed last nights epsiode, even tho the sound was so bad that i couldn't make out a bunch of lines. please don't put stupid spoilers in here tho, looking on IMDB to see who is in what episode? why would you do that? its fun to speculate and guess. do you read the last chapter of a book first? also no one gives a fuck about your low standards sleazy.

I apologize, I got a little over-excited at the potential death of the only character of the show I found interesting, for sure could've kept it too myself. I only looked on IMDB to see how many episodes were going to be in the season, that was just an unfortunate side effect.  Regardless, it seems just from the trailers for the show that there are scenes containing Farrell we haven't seen yet so...
Fongstarr.
SLAP Pal
Rep: 71

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2015, 02:36:27 PM »

I wonder if IMBD even knows these things in advance and updates it as the show goes. There is now way they get total scripts of the show.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!
HATE!
Administrator
SLAP Pal
Rep: 894

« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »

People who review shit were sent the first three episodes.
ill_Murray
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2015, 02:55:08 PM »

I wonder if IMBD even knows these things in advance and updates it as the show goes. There is now way they get total scripts of the show.

IMDB for sure gets a decent amount, especially when it's a big production like an HBO show.  I was just looking through the character list and there were a couple pretty specific details about the show.
hufs calve muscles
SLAP Pal
Rep: -24

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2015, 05:50:34 PM »

I like it. Yeah it's corny but so are most shows ATM (the women camp in Top of the lake anyone?)

Nothing will ever be as good as season 1 so I lowered my expectations from the jump.

Watched the first Ep 3 times now and it reminds me heaps of twin peaks. I want to marry the chick singing in the bar.

Second Ep was a flat out fizzer/set the next 3 eps up episode. 

The only thing I haven't liked so far is the intro song and vinces trapped in the closet story. I almost burst out laughing.

Overall... It's good IMO and will get better.
Sleazy
SLAP Pal
Rep: 339
tiger style

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2015, 05:58:14 PM »

An e-cig? C'monnnnnnnnn

Agreed on the spoilers.

Low standards for TV shows??? Haha, yeah ok man.
DMH
SLAP Pal
Rep: 66

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:35 PM »

The only thing I haven't liked so far is the intro song and vinces trapped in the closet story. I almost burst out laughing.

Holy shit, man. That was unbearably bad. I feel like every character this season is constantly having those "remember when" moments. I don't mind that in small doses, but when it happens this often it comes off as a cheap, elementary way to build a character's backstory.

Plus I don't really give a shit about Vince's childhood. He just lost 5 million dollars. That's way more fucking interesting.
Bobby Peru
Administrator
SLAP Pal
Rep: 352
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »

Holy shit, man. That was unbearably bad. I feel like every character this season is constantly having those "remember when" moments. I don't mind that in small doses, but when it happens this often it comes off as a cheap, elementary way to build a character's backstory.

Plus I don't really give a shit about Vince's childhood. He just lost 5 million dollars. That's way more fucking interesting.

Agreed about the writing in general, but I think the story was more to demonstrate his tenacity when backed into a corner, given his current situation, rather than just fill in a backstory.

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that it's a totally new story, but some more similarities between seasons I thought up include animal masks on the killers, as well as (far fetched, but) the burn scars on motorcycle guy and the second killer in season one.
ill_Murray
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »

The Mayor seemed to be privy to more information than he was letting on as well, also had a painting with an anthropomorphic bird chillin with some people. 
hufs calve muscles
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2015, 09:55:36 PM »

In the intro in season one didn't they have have clips/backgrounds of the LA roads/freeways meshed into it?? I can't remember but I think they did. (Even though it was set down south)

hufs calve muscles
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »

Just watched the intro again. Could be anywhere. Carry on.  Cheesy
Nallid
SLAP Pal
Rep: -256

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2015, 11:17:58 PM »

I thought salt round, no way he's dead. And that bird mask is straight up Hotline Miami.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Jump to: