Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 31802 times)
Rusty_Berrings
SLAP Pal
Rep: 198
I'm an animal I beast the booth

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: July 20, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »

Would be dope if that's the LA Fitness in OC with the drainage ditch behind it. Lunch break would never be boring.
shit_for_brains
SLAP Pal
Rep: 114

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: July 20, 2015, 09:31:42 PM »

Does anyone have two careers? I've been doing it for a while now and I'm really into it. It's a lot of hours but my wife works about the same and we are in a whole new station. I might get a pinky ring. I'm just bragging.
baroque_0bama
Rep: 6
Lyme disease gave me a crooked smile

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: July 21, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »

I toss salads at a nice italian restaurant
Will that cost me extra?

nah, brah. I gotchyu.
Rusty_Berrings
SLAP Pal
Rep: 198
I'm an animal I beast the booth

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: July 22, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »

I don't really make much money at it- and I'm maybe sure I break copyright laws more than I'd want to but I do get a kick out of designing enamel pins and wholesaling em to homies. I'm thinking I'll maybe move onto embroidered clothes though.
essal
Rep: 13

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: July 24, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »

I work at a company that makes machine guns for the US military and our allies. I'm sure you'll notice the Vans in the video.

https://vimeo.com/132001207
Are you with GD, US Ord or FNH? And what's your job?
Anyway, if anyone don't love the M2 then they can eat it, especially shooting "Raufoss" rounds at night is a pretty cool experience.

I am just in the process of starting an internship at a company that makes yoga pants and stuff. Not really my thing, but when an S&P 500 company wants you to intern for them you don't really decline. I'll be working in their R&D department.

As a fun fact, at 26 I still haven't had a proper job interview yet... Before I started my own company I kinda just always worked for people I knew, then as my own company for 5 years and now this intern thingy without showing anyone my resume. Life goal is to never show anyone my portfolio or resume but still always have jobs that I want.
4LOM
Rep: 49

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: July 24, 2015, 08:27:16 AM »

Used to think of myself as a concept mechanic, but now I see my job is to break them.
John Wick 3:16
Tufty
Rep: -3

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:07 AM »

What job should someone who wants a communist revolution follow?
ROCKxADIO420
SLAP Pal
Rep: 686
√+

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: July 27, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »

you can jerk off punks under the bridge for 15 bucks a pop
.CHET THOMAS.
Adam Abbas
Rep: 7

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: July 27, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »

Any of you guys work 3rd shift jobs? I may be getting a nightshift job soon and I'm not sure how I feel about the shift.

How do you reconcile your sleep schedule on weekends/days off?

Not sure if you're still about to take the job, but I recently left my night shift position as a proofreader/disseminator of press releases. Worked nights for two years out of a two-and-a-half year tenure.

It wasn't as bad as they say, I worked 10:30 PM to 6 AM Mon-Fri and midnight to noon on Sundays. I didn't believe what people told me as far as it negatively affecting my health; I just saw it as another time to sleep and wake up.  I slept from 7:30 AM - 1 PM and took a 1-2 hour nap before my shift, so I averaged the regular 6-8 hours of sleep.  I never took any pills or aids or anything. Still though, I was concerned about my health.

Weekends were odd b/c I had Friday nights off, had to work Saturday nights, and had some Sunday nights off (long story). I was actually able to sleep at night during my weekends, it was just a matter of staying awake enough.  My body was probably trying to retain its circadian rhythm.

It was also definitely difficult to keep the same sleep schedule if I went on vacation or anything like that, and toward the end of my job, I wasn't getting enough sleep. That's a downfall.  Plus I would periodically get cluster headaches behind my left eye as a result of my sleep being disturbed/warped. I think I got out in time - if I had done it for a few more years, I could very well have started to suffer health issues.

I left the job two months ago and have been sleeping fairly normally since.  It's still a bit hard to get a solid eight hours' sleep every day - sometimes I wake up after 5 hours and then go back to sleep, which could be my body shaking off the old pattern. I bought melatonin pills but haven't used them. It does feel great/natural to go back to the regular circadian pattern.

Hope things work out for you! The night shift affects everyone differently.

Also, now I work part-time as a background actor which is horrible. But I have a good amount of savings, so it's not too bad. Definitely exploring other options, though.
"No hope gives me guts." - D. Boon
Jim and Dan
Rep: 133

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: July 27, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »

ANALyst & ASSt. Operating Officer for a large scale direct-sales company specializing in chemical-free cosmetics, household items, etc...

I basically had to set aside most morals I had (which probably wouldn't have even let me have a job) & except the ride.

It's fun to be smart & high most of the time there, get to work with a large amount of nitwits with fancier degrees than mine!

But in all fairness, I take my job pretty darn serious & do a good job!

All that being said, I truly hate my job & all the things it entails (like I said, the drugs help).

It's really a means to an end in the experience department, I am still relatively young!
drunk guy
Rep: 60

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: July 27, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »

I was the buyer for a online retail store that sells band merch (job kind of fell into my lap, not a fan at all of hardcore music and pop punk) Now I manage the whole gig. I really really am not into the music or the scene that we cater to and am looking for a way out. I would like to work for a brand or a online store, or even manage (or buy for) a brick and mortar store. Anyone have any advice on making a transition like this???
Pabst
SLAP Pal
Rep: 137
USA!

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: July 27, 2015, 05:46:25 PM »

Does anyone have two careers? I've been doing it for a while now and I'm really into it. It's a lot of hours but my wife works about the same and we are in a whole new station. I might get a pinky ring. I'm just bragging.

I got an offer today with a soils analysis company to do consulting on the side. I'd get to make my own hours, and it would be fun to do when school is in-between semesters/the pay is retarded good for very little actual work. What worries me is exactly what you just said. I'm working full time+ with USFS/BLM right now on restoration projects and I'd be afraid if I picked up those side gigs that I would only skate like twice a week, and could see it fucking up the way I cook/eat/live/plan/mental health.
How often are you getting time in to shred?
colin
SLAP Pal
Rep: 169

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: July 27, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »

I work for a non profit. I work in a day program for handicapped adults and I also drive the buses for our outings, volunteer sites and work programs. I don't get paid enough, but I leave work feeling like I did something good.

I have a buddy who says that people who do work to serve society, like you, are underpaid because the people that control the pay know that they are intrinsically rewarded for their work.

I think it is because people don't have any margin in them and don't generate capital being handicapped.

I think you've got a point - firefighters, teachers - they don't really generate capital, either. Although, you might say the opposite is true, for some who generate enormous deficits are paid extraordinarily well.
To be quite literal teachers generate human capital which is the set of skills and knowledge an individual has in the workforce.
I was thinking today about the common core state standards: who wrote them, what the purpose is. I'm trying to read Pedagogy of Freedom right now, and the guy who wrote the forward made the argument that the current educational system is designed to benefit the bankers.
So, I'm thinking today, is it designed to benefit the 'bankers' in the sense that they will have better workers to feed into their pipelines, or is it that they want people to be just smart enough to consume, and work, so they have more money to consume?
Mouth
SLAP Pal
Rep: -190

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: July 28, 2015, 05:03:46 AM »

Bankers are not rich and powerful by default.

But you're right, the people with real power need to maintain a middle class that's skilled enough, big enough and rich enough to make and buy the products the elite are peddling if the rich are going to keep getting richer. The education system has evolved in part to maintain this system.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'
Yushin Okami
Rep: 60

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: July 28, 2015, 04:06:13 PM »

Are there no Uber or Lyft drivers here? I would think we'd have at least one and I imagine they would have some great stories.
staining niggas homework wit his buttjuice
HyenaChaser
Rep: 5

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: July 28, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »

My college degree got me a job smoking pot, jerking off, and hitting up Slap.
4LOM
Rep: 49

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Today at 07:47:13 AM »

What job should someone who wants a communist revolution follow?

Something that exploits workers, exploits markets, and spreads capitalism and democracy across the globe.
John Wick 3:16
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Jump to: