Facebook Twitter MySpace YouTube

Forum Search   Advanced Search
April 23, 2014, 08:24:15 PM
Welcome, Guest.
Please login above or register.
News: OIAM!

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 51

Author Topic: One In A Million NYC  (Read 78872 times)
The Muffin Man
Rep: -18

Ignore
« Reply #1170 on: March 30, 2012, 05:58:49 AM »

Reagan, have you read Taylor Mali's poem "What Teachers Make"? I feel like this would apply perfectly to that little spat earlier.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.
Zurg
SLAP Pal
Rep: 452
PARRR

Ignore
« Reply #1171 on: March 30, 2012, 08:27:29 AM »

i dont think its strictly because its in ny, but the footage hasnt been nearly as good this year. watching all those lines last episode was boring as fuck, i almost missed seeing the corniness
I appreciate my own frontside noseslides

@zurgvision
Brooklyn Zoo
Rep: 40

Ignore
« Reply #1172 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:34 AM »

I am referring back to the original "OIAM is going to be in NYC!" thread where half the posts were about how west coast kids were going to come to New York and sit on their asses half the time because they couldn't skate the super rough east coast spots

I think people meant or at least I did, that it would funny/interesting to see a cali/midwest rail and stair jumper or ledge dancer try and figure out a cellar door spot, but they didn't go to any of the "typical" east coast spots on the show, pretty much all the ones they went to that weren't skateparks have really nice ground and are pretty conventional spots. There have been times I would be showing cali people around and half of them would kill it on "urban spots" and the other half would be like "not for me" or "I dont got shit for this"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:36:30 AM by Brooklyn Zoo » Logged
I cannot convey the hate clearly enough.
Walk that bag over to Bed Stuy so you can get your head bounced off the curb while your rolling purse gets set on fire.
Ronald Wilson Reagan
SLAP Pal
Rep: -155
I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.

Ignore
« Reply #1173 on: March 30, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »

Reagan, have you read Taylor Mali's poem "What Teachers Make"? I feel like this would apply perfectly to that little spat earlier.

Yeah, they've shown us the def poetry jam reading of it every year at professional development meetings at the beginning of the year at both schools I've worked at. At first I thought it was cool, but after being forced to hear it so many times in rooms full of teachers I kind of find it cheesy.

A student boasting about the job he's going to have is pretty funny actually.

Especially in Law. This is an old article from a quick google job, but things haven't changed much since then:
http://www.professorbainbridge.com/professorbainbridgecom/2009/09/too-many-law-schools-and-too-many-lawyers.html

Law students DEFINITELY don't automatically get jobs. Not even close. If the kid is at year 2 and doesn't realize it he's probably fucked. At this point he should be working desperately to find a summer clerkship that MIGHT lead to a job if he kills it. Of course, a lot of defense lawyers do clerkships with the public defender's office, which is not really the road to riches. If he's just sitting there thinking about all the money he is "guaranteed" in a year he's probably not in the right mindset and is fucked.
SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #1174 on: March 30, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »

Even the "raw" street skating was lame, and I'm definately better as poor as I am than being any of those judges. It would be cool if the whole thing was intended to show kids that it is funnier to skate by/for yourself than trying to get sponsored through "marketing yourself, but it's nothing but a massive fail. Anyways that Finucan kid is pretty good.

That being said, I'm with Reagan in the teacher > lawyer thing.
shit_for_brains
SLAP Pal
Rep: 97

Ignore
« Reply #1175 on: March 30, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »

Being from the East Coast and having skated the Gulf Coast (MS) pretty hard, I can whole heatedly say that the South does dwarf us on hard shit to skate. You guys have even less than us, worse ground, and insane humidity. Only up side you guys got is relatively mild winters. PS: I don't understand why there arn't more DIY spots on the Gulf Coast. After Katrina it seems like there are an endless supply of foundation spots in the form of leveled houses. We used to skate like people old steps and shit where there houses were, but I never saw anything get built.

my mom lives in the gulf coast region, has for the past ten years, and on my annual visits the areas are vastly different every time. i think the lack of DIY spots are because there aren't areas like being under a bridge or anything like that. everything is flat and far apart from each other. there aren't corners you can tuck something away under, you know? the areas are either pretty populated, or totally empty. there's also so much constant expansion and development that for things to be built in a practical, accessible area, they would disappear really quickly.
How do these young kids get so good at skating when they're jacking off all the time.
Ronald Wilson Reagan
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #1176 on: March 30, 2012, 01:50:47 PM »

I am referring back to the original "OIAM is going to be in NYC!" thread where half the posts were about how west coast kids were going to come to New York and sit on their asses half the time because they couldn't skate the super rough east coast spots

I think people meant or at least I did, that it would funny/interesting to see a cali/midwest rail and stair jumper or ledge dancer try and figure out a cellar door spot, but they didn't go to any of the "typical" east coast spots on the show, pretty much all the ones they went to that weren't skateparks have really nice ground and are pretty conventional spots. There have been times I would be showing cali people around and half of them would kill it on "urban spots" and the other half would be like "not for me" or "I dont got shit for this"

The thing is, those spots are everywhere. I live in LA and raw spots like that exist out here too, but on the same token, NYC has plenty of amazing perfect ground spots. One thing to point out is that in the OIAM's in SF, they barely took them to any hill spots at all. Thats how these things work.
Fenzadill
SLAP Pal
Rep: 41
lemme get the 4 dollar one

Ignore
« Reply #1177 on: March 30, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »

The thing is, those spots are everywhere. I live in LA and raw spots like that exist out here too, but on the same token, NYC has plenty of amazing perfect ground spots. One thing to point out is that in the OIAM's in SF, they barely took them to any hill spots at all. Thats how these things work.

Yeah  but it's the ratio of good to bad spots.
gutterhead.
SLAP Pal
Rep: -19

Ignore
« Reply #1178 on: March 31, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »

fucking weird seeing dudes referring to the gipster as reagan
victor333

« Reply #1179 on: March 31, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »

Yea, I was gonna say aren't lawyers and such in really low demand right now? I've heard many people say law is a pretty shitty field to get into for the past few years
Ronald Wilson Reagan
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #1180 on: March 31, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »

Ratio? NYC has more nice ledge spots than you could skate in a month. Go to San Francisco and try to skate a smooth plaza there. There aren't any.  NYC is not rough like people claim, but it is an amazing skate city.
mcpeepants
SLAP Pal
Rep: -18

Ignore
« Reply #1181 on: March 31, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »

FWIW, a few of my buddies said NYC roads/spots are pretty smooth for the most part compared to Pittsburgh.
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

Fenzadill
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #1182 on: March 31, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »

Ratio? NYC has more nice ledge spots than you could skate in a month. Go to San Francisco and try to skate a smooth plaza there. There aren't any.  NYC is not rough like people claim, but it is an amazing skate city.

I mean the East Coast as a whole.  It's just environmental man, our streets are shittier due to weather.
Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace
SLAP Pal
Rep: 176

Ignore
« Reply #1183 on: April 01, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »

by the sound of the results they should re-name this year's show 'None in a million'

*rimshot

The Blunder Games
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too
Brick
Rep: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1184 on: April 02, 2012, 09:12:50 AM »

FWIW, a few of my buddies said NYC roads/spots are pretty smooth for the most part compared to Pittsburgh.

quite true
KoRnholio8
SLAP Pal
Rep: -106
GNARBUNGA!

Ignore
« Reply #1185 on: April 02, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »

Mr. Torres starting a company while his rep is at it's lowest and sinking fast:
http://www.torronyc.com/index.html
Gomez
SLAP Pal
Rep: -431

Ignore
« Reply #1186 on: April 02, 2012, 05:52:15 PM »

you just know dude was banking on this show putting him into the limelight in the skate industry so he could drop his clothing line and have kids eat it up. i'm assuming that by the time he realized how lame the show made him look it was already in the works and he had to stick with the plan.
you clearly lack the proper brain power to piece together informed thoughts, i have a lil cousin with the same disease, and its no joke so ima leave it at that.
Gnarwhal
SLAP Pal
Rep: -21

Ignore
« Reply #1187 on: April 02, 2012, 07:08:25 PM »

5Toro?
ice nine
SLAP Pal
Rep: 358

Ignore
« Reply #1188 on: April 02, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »

does anyone over the age of 15 really have any ill will towards the judges? skating is full of awkward corny idiots, and dudes that have gone through with shitty deals only to feel remorseful after.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here
pica
SLAP Pal
Rep: 66

Ignore
« Reply #1189 on: April 03, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »

5Toro?

i don't wanna hate on rodney torres, but he literally named his company after himself and made his picture in the teamsection bigger than the rest of his teammates. dude....
Red
Rep: 33

Ignore
« Reply #1190 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »

Q: What's the difference between God and a lawyer?

A: God doesn't think he's a lawyer.
PsychOut

« Reply #1191 on: April 04, 2012, 05:14:01 AM »

Lurker Lou Strikes Again in this Round of Eliminations - One in a Million Episode 11
Mad Max
Rep: -1

Ignore
« Reply #1192 on: April 04, 2012, 05:17:54 AM »

I'll save you the pain. Kennedy's out.
Even though Lurker Lou hooked him up on Iron Claw? Go figure...

The best bit is next weeks teaser which looked like go pro helmet cams were the straw that broke the camel's back. Tension mounts...

@Mandible - Is this the beginning of the end?

P.s. I feel sorry for Cairo being pulled into this. I like the way he stood up for a couple of the dudes when wack judgements were being made.
HATE!
Administrator
SLAP Pal
Rep: 774

« Reply #1193 on: April 04, 2012, 05:27:43 AM »

Looks like the pizza helmet cam immunity value plus challenge is next!
Kristi Yamaguchi
Rep: -17

Ignore
« Reply #1194 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51:44 AM »

"Bam did that before you were born"  Roll Eyes
What's his point? Most of the tricks done on here are abd.
SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #1195 on: April 04, 2012, 06:01:03 AM »

Lurker Lou breaking board first try?

Giorgio Tsoukalos on exoskeletons

Fenzadill
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #1196 on: April 04, 2012, 07:00:44 AM »

How fucking dare they insult the hot foot hippie jump?

Also:

"It always feels, like, so wrong when that happens."  First genuine thing out of any judge's mouth.
Slowerpide
Rep: 1
yeah

Ignore
« Reply #1197 on: April 04, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »

I can't wait for next week's episode
truthislie
Rep: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1198 on: April 04, 2012, 09:49:44 AM »

How fucking dare they insult the hot foot hippie jump?

Thats what I thought. This shit doesnt look easy.

Do you guys think Slap is going to do another OIAM after this shit? Maybe without too much influence of mountain dew and fuel tv or whoever made this such a drama-fest? I would certainly hope so.
thecandidness.tumblr.com
Brooklyn Zoo
Rep: 40

Ignore
« Reply #1199 on: April 04, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »

i cant wait for the pizza episode, I've been waiting for just that one since colin told me about it I almost didnt believe him.
I cannot convey the hate clearly enough.
Walk that bag over to Bed Stuy so you can get your head bounced off the curb while your rolling purse gets set on fire.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 51

Jump to: