Facebook Twitter MySpace YouTube

Forum Search   Advanced Search
September 21, 2014, 12:08:33 PM
Welcome, Guest.
Please login above or register.
News: OIAM!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dylan Rieder Monster Children Interview  (Read 12368 times)
ian lowe
SLAP Pal
Rep: 7

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »

this is fucking awesome. and the juliette lewis quote about the "backside lipslide down a double kinked handrail" made me laugh so hard.
Didn't berra try to backlip that double kinker that arto backlipped in Mindfield like years before arto did it? I feel like I heard about that somewhere.

i have no idea. i just thought the way she worded it in that picture caption somewhere earlier in the thread was really funny.
dadbald.tumblr.com
starwars

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »

...Can someone put up a real scan? I don't see how you guys are reading that. Thanks
buttpirate
Rep: 31

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »

...Can someone put up a real scan? I don't see how you guys are reading that. Thanks
go buy it, fuckface.
CNieratko
Rep: 247

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2012, 03:03:25 AM »

It's a 2-parter and quite long but i think the pay off is worth the wait if you're into WWII humor:

Fuggedabuddies Part 1 Small | Large

Fuggedabuddies Part 2 Small | Large

Robbie Hamilton
Rep: -4

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »

Steve berra is the fucking anti-christ of skateboarding! Thank fuck for people like Dill/AVE and Dylan Rieder! Keeping skateboarding true.
oyolar
SLAP Pal
Rep: 165

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »

I have my sketpticism of Berra as well, but I gotta say- about two years ago he sent me a hoodie for pretty much nothing, for coming in 3rd or 4th in one of his silly little trivia things when their site was just starting up.  I didn't even win and he sent me some free shit.

I know it ain't much, but it was one of the coolest things I've ever had a pro do for me.  Most of them are too busy talking about their jaguars, BMWs, stories of model girlfriends, bragging about buying multiple houses & property, etc.  It's so far delusional from the life of the average skate rat like us that actually fuels the industry, and the majority of the new kids take so much of it for granted.  I'll give him a few points for at least trying to give something back at the end of a somewhat charmed career.

If that's what you're reading, then you are into very different skaters than I am. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear Berra talk about that stuff if he actually, you know, got any skating coverage. Oh wait! Sorry, he won't talk about that stuff because he's broke for putting every dime of his personal money (as well as making several other sacrifices) into making the Berrics what it is today--a fact that he has no problem bringing up as often as possible. I'd rather hear about buying houses than listen to Berra nail himself to a cross and then ask me to be thankful for all he's done for skateboarding.

Also, if you're surprised that a skater in the industry would do something nice for another skater, then you must not have interacted with a lot of people. I've had a bunch of positive experiences with people in the industry, some of whom I've never met in person, so getting a hoodie for coming third in a contest does not seem too outrageous to me.
starwars

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2012, 04:16:22 PM »

go buy it, fuckface.
You sound like a terribly unhappy person
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:20:20 PM by starwars » Logged
darrin649

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »

I have my sketpticism of Berra as well, but I gotta say- about two years ago he sent me a hoodie for pretty much nothing, for coming in 3rd or 4th in one of his silly little trivia things when their site was just starting up.  I didn't even win and he sent me some free shit.

I know it ain't much, but it was one of the coolest things I've ever had a pro do for me.  Most of them are too busy talking about their jaguars, BMWs, stories of model girlfriends, bragging about buying multiple houses & property, etc.  It's so far delusional from the life of the average skate rat like us that actually fuels the industry, and the majority of the new kids take so much of it for granted.  I'll give him a few points for at least trying to give something back at the end of a somewhat charmed career.

If that's what you're reading, then you are into very different skaters than I am. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear Berra talk about that stuff if he actually, you know, got any skating coverage. Oh wait! Sorry, he won't talk about that stuff because he's broke for putting every dime of his personal money (as well as making several other sacrifices) into making the Berrics what it is today--a fact that he has no problem bringing up as often as possible. I'd rather hear about buying houses than listen to Berra nail himself to a cross and then ask me to be thankful for all he's done for skateboarding.

Also, if you're surprised that a skater in the industry would do something nice for another skater, then you must not have interacted with a lot of people. I've had a bunch of positive experiences with people in the industry, some of whom I've never met in person, so getting a hoodie for coming third in a contest does not seem too outrageous to me.

I was referring to Apples talking about the Jaguars, beamers etc.  Apples was something of a hometown hero around Toronto not far from where I grew up, I was a regular at Oakville's 'Shell Park' and so was apples, I bumped into him at Tampa Pro less than two years after I last saw him in Canada and he acted like quite a dick, mentioning how glad he was to be out of Canada and not ever wanted to go back.  I was just disappointed.  He is a true skater, just clearly not reppin' Canada at all anymore, more concerned about financial investments and "ballin'". I believe he may even be a full-fledged U.S. citizen now.  Of course, not all Canadian pros are like that.

Yeah I don't believe for a second Berra actually went broke financing the Berrics, nor that he doesn't take a fairly handsome salary home from it.  I just wanted to add to the conversation at least one true example of something I've known him to do, seems like most people in the thread were just hopping on the bandwagon and following message board trends without actually forming their own opinion.

Anyone ever seen the film the last film he wrote/directed?  "The Good Life?"  I vaguely recall seeing it a few years ago, it was strange, but I'm sure he collected some decent hollywood money from it.  At least it had Harry Dean Stanton in it, that old dude is so gnarly.  haha

Worst experience I had from an industry person was Skin Phillips.  I used to run a small town skatepark out here in the country in Ottawa during school and Flip came to the larger park downtown to do a demo.  I shot loads of photos for our old skatepark blog.  After it was finished, I just wanted to get one photo with Lance Mountain, dude's a legend.  All the kids were swarming to Rodrigo, Penny etc.  I was trying to find Lance during all the commotion after the demo and Skin seemingly purposefully sent me in the wrong direction Lance had headed, as he was just standing with him prior to.  If you're not down to be cool with true skateboarding fans every now and again, what the fuck are you doing as editor in chief of one of the industry's biggest mags, let alone going to demos with a team?

But, yes, some industry people HAVE been super cool.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2012, 08:18:15 PM »

I was referring to Apples talking about the Jaguars, beamers etc.  Apples was something of a hometown hero around Toronto not far from where I grew up, I was a regular at Oakville's 'Shell Park' and so was apples, I bumped into him at Tampa Pro less than two years after I last saw him in Canada and he acted like quite a dick, mentioning how glad he was to be out of Canada and not ever wanted to go back.  I was just disappointed.  He is a true skater, just clearly not reppin' Canada at all anymore, more concerned about financial investments and "ballin'". I believe he may even be a full-fledged U.S. citizen now.  Of course, not all Canadian pros are like that.

Yeah I don't believe for a second Berra actually went broke financing the Berrics, nor that he doesn't take a fairly handsome salary home from it.  I just wanted to add to the conversation at least one true example of something I've known him to do, seems like most people in the thread were just hopping on the bandwagon and following message board trends without actually forming their own opinion.

Anyone ever seen the film the last film he wrote/directed?  "The Good Life?"  I vaguely recall seeing it a few years ago, it was strange, but I'm sure he collected some decent hollywood money from it.  At least it had Harry Dean Stanton in it, that old dude is so gnarly.  haha

Worst experience I had from an industry person was Skin Phillips.  I used to run a small town skatepark out here in the country in Ottawa during school and Flip came to the larger park downtown to do a demo.  I shot loads of photos for our old skatepark blog.  After it was finished, I just wanted to get one photo with Lance Mountain, dude's a legend.  All the kids were swarming to Rodrigo, Penny etc.  I was trying to find Lance during all the commotion after the demo and Skin seemingly purposefully sent me in the wrong direction Lance had headed, as he was just standing with him prior to.  If you're not down to be cool with true skateboarding fans every now and again, what the fuck are you doing as editor in chief of one of the industry's biggest mags, let alone going to demos with a team?

i find it absolutely hilarious when people take the time to properly type up some very in-depth response and its all just a bunch of unnecessary bullshit
darrin649

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »

i find it absolutely hilarious when people take the time to properly type up some very in-depth response and its all just a bunch of unnecessary bullshit

That took all of 2-3 mins.  Some people like to use their head...
Beer Keg Peg Leg
SLAP Pal
Rep: 349

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »

apples is a dick because he'd rather live in southern california than canada...yeah you're a real thinker.
gutterhead.
SLAP Pal
Rep: -18

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »

c'mon guys, we're talking to someone with kurt cobain as his avatar
Box of Frogs

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »

I dont remember all the details but Kareem Campbell mentions something about punching Berra in the face and leaving som tour a long time ago. Havent read it in years but there was something about stolen boards and Berra dropped something along the lines of "thats easy for a black guy to say" so Kareem punched him and left the tour.

I need to dig up that magazine

Erica's boyfriend is stealing our erica and our dylan! fuck that guy!
darrin649

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2012, 11:38:28 PM »

apples is a dick because he'd rather live in southern california than canada...yeah you're a real thinker.

He's a dick because he tried to brag how he was finished his Extremely Sorry part years before release and yet was the only Globe Pro that never put out a UBF.  Ams Luan and Louie Lopez managed to pull one off, what the hell was his problem then?  And in every interview he has to make mention of his love for BMWs and Jaguars.

This was already more than covered here:  http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=54212.30

Of course any skater would prefer SoCal to Canada, eastern Canada at least (Crankers still lives and runs the shop in BC), but Apple's has completely forgotten where he came from.  He talks about being a skate rat and then just bitches non-stop about money, he's lost his roots.
darrin649

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2012, 11:47:47 PM »

The truth will be shown when this new "Berrics street" part from him comes out...  Hopefully I'm wrong and he's motivated again.

In the Skateboard Mag interview he said it was gonna be out in February...

We'll see..
SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2012, 01:20:36 AM »

He's a dick because he tried to brag how he was finished his Extremely Sorry part years before release and yet was the only Globe Pro that never put out a UBF.  Ams Luan and Louie Lopez managed to pull one off, what the hell was his problem then?  And in every interview he has to make mention of his love for BMWs and Jaguars.

This was already more than covered here:  http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=54212.30

Of course any skater would prefer SoCal to Canada, eastern Canada at least (Crankers still lives and runs the shop in BC), but Apple's has completely forgotten where he came from.  He talks about being a skate rat and then just bitches non-stop about money, he's lost his roots.

I'm totally with you on the apples thing. when I read some random thrasher interview of him saying how much he wanted to be rich I was like "WTF, screw this dick". I honestly dont give half a fuck about how he skates anymore. Not saying the dudes I like now are super quiet philosophers or anything, it's just that the apples thing was way too much.

Glad to see Alien Workshop is not blowing it at all.
cornholio
SLAP Pal
Rep: 13

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2012, 06:14:02 AM »

Berra Berra Berra... You were so good in the End, what happened...
ian lowe
SLAP Pal

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2012, 06:39:23 AM »

c'mon guys, we're talking to someone with kurt cobain as his avatar

not anymore. weird...
dadbald.tumblr.com
Big Skatefase
SLAP Pal
Rep: 137

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2012, 08:14:21 AM »

I dont remember all the details but Kareem Campbell mentions something about punching Berra in the face and leaving som tour a long time ago. Havent read it in years but there was something about stolen boards and Berra dropped something along the lines of "thats easy for a black guy to say" so Kareem punched him and left the tour.

@ this if it actually happened
sebastian
Rep: -12

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »

Koston should have put Dylan, or any other Alien rider on his team for BATB 5, and rigged it so he makes it to the finals hahaha..
victor333

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

Koston should have put Dylan, or any other Alien rider on his team for BATB 5, and rigged it so he makes it to the finals hahaha..

...swing and a miss...
BraveUlysses
SLAP Pal
Rep: 99
i'm tim

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »

@ this if it actually happened
If it did happened I guess that whole situation is resolved since Campbell was on the Berrics about a year ago.
LOU.502
SLAP Pal
Rep: 45
rawr

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »

there hasn't been any word of that appleyard part since like january. I'm bummed i was really excited for it

im probably lying
darrin649

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »

I recall reading about this years ago as well, and Berra just got in his face after and kept repeating "why would you do that?  why would you do that?".  I thought it may have been at The old World Park though...  yeah find it if you can, I'm almost positive it was in a TWS, I think may have been the with with 'Reem on the front and a tall ass crooked on a tall ass LA picnic table...
carbonite
SLAP Pal
Rep: 396

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »

I recall reading about this years ago as well, and Berra just got in his face after and kept repeating "why would you do that?  why would you do that?".  I thought it may have been at The old World Park though...  yeah find it if you can, I'm almost positive it was in a TWS, I think may have been the with with 'Reem on the front and a tall ass crooked on a tall ass LA picnic table...

jovontae snuffed berra on tour back in the day
DaSk8D00D

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

I recall reading about this years ago as well, and Berra just got in his face after and kept repeating "why would you do that?  why would you do that?".  I thought it may have been at The old World Park though...  yeah find it if you can, I'm almost positive it was in a TWS, I think may have been the with with 'Reem on the front and a tall ass crooked on a tall ass LA picnic table...

jovontae snuffed berra on tour back in the day

lol, berra seems like the type of guy to say or do something to some hood nigga tryna be funny only to get his ass stole on.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:42:10 PM by DaSk8D00D » Logged
kellen

« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2012, 06:17:37 PM »

David Schwimmer
Rep: -27

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2012, 07:04:06 PM »

Your one to talk, D00D
We were on a break
DaSk8D00D

« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »

Your one to talk, D00D

mongomaestro
Rep: -41

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »

Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Jump to: