Author Topic: Skate backpacks  (Read 2623 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Skate backpacks
« on: June 06, 2018, 12:21:22 PM »
Anyone got recommendations for a backpack that I can strap my skateboard to? I have some old Burton bag that's pretty much done and I need a new one. I ordered the Nixon Landlock III but it's fucking shit. Fits like shit and the pockets are stupid and it looks like shit unless it's full.

Main thing would be durability as thin fabric gets ripped up from the griptape too easily. Gotta look good too and fit well. It seems that there are no decent choices around. Not gonna buy Nike.

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
Re: Skate backpacks
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
There are a couple useful threads on this topic already you can search for. Dakine bags have gotten love on here before. Bags by non-skate brands tend to be better nowadays; Chrome makes some good stuff (including their Anti-Hero crossover line). You can also get older skate bags on eBay (I just picked up a Shorty's bag from the late-90s that's still in amazing shape and there are usually a couple CCS backpacks floating around on there). Those bags in the late-90s were fucking TANKS, practically indestructible, especially compared to some flimsy shit out there lately.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:10:41 PM »
https://www.hexbrand.com/products/hex-guy-mariano-skatepack-black

I have this one and like it a lot. I think you can get it from ccs for around 60$. Super simple and lightweight plus all black. I used it for work/school/skating and it worked well for all of them.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 02:16:13 PM »
I've been looking for one as well.  I'm an old fart and need a bag with room for all my pads and shit.  I have a cheap single shoulder strap backpack I grabbed for almost nothing at K-mart (before it closed) but there's no straps for the deck.  Otherwise it's a great bag.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

ciaran

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
Dakine Atlas if you don't need to carry a laptop as the main pocket/area is large - the backpiece on this one seems to fold away from you a fair bit when you're cycling or whatever.
Volcom Strata if you need to carry a laptop to work regularly as it has a sleeve for a 15" MBP. 
Both of them keep the board close to the back so they last.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:24:07 AM »

I have this one and like it a lot. I think you can get it from ccs for around 60$. Super simple and lightweight plus all black. I used it for work/school/skating and it worked well for all of them.

damn ccs only has the skate backpack which is far less inferior then this one. i may pull the trigger and get the guy mariano one if i can find it on sale. i use a backpack to work and alotta times go skating afterward - pretty much been like this for the last decade so that backpack looks really functional. is it worth $80?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
Anyone got recommendations for a backpack that I can strap my skateboard to? I have some old Burton bag that's pretty much done and I need a new one. I ordered the Nixon Landlock III but it's fucking shit. Fits like shit and the pockets are stupid and it looks like shit unless it's full.

Main thing would be durability as thin fabric gets ripped up from the griptape too easily. Gotta look good too and fit well. It seems that there are no decent choices around. Not gonna buy Nike.

i've had the same bag for last three years and beside the elastic bands on the side pockets everything else is holding up pretty good. Wouldn't mind if it was a bit bigger. I've used it a lot (including month long trips) and has been doing the job great so far

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Those Chrome bags look like good quality stuff. Sadly they didn't seem to have what I'm looking for.

Dakine bags all look like shit to me. I dunno how good they are, but I don't like how they look one bit.

Couldn't find that Volcom bag but I did find this:
https://www.volcom.com/mens/accessories/backpacks/substrate-d6531649
Looks pretty cheap to me, so I dunno if it's good enough. 🤔

That Hex Guy bag has the same problem as many skate backpacks: you're supposed to hang the board by the upper truck, which makes the board hang low, possibly rubbing against your bike seat and generally being in the way. So far I've used snowboard bags which are designed to support the weight of a snowboard from the lower strap so can easily support a skateboard from the lower truck also. 🤔

Maybe I'll just get another snowboard backpack and patch the fabric up if it gets torn from the griptape. 🤔

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »
I had the same problem the other day. Had an emerica backpack that I loved for years but it was getting too fucked up so I had to change and couldn’t find anything that would fit my taste and needs.
I really liked that hex Mariano one, but it was too small, then found some other ones but they always had something that bugged me.
After like 1 week of searching around I ended up buying this Dakine one:

https://www.tactics.com/dakine/park-32l-backpack

I agree that most of dakine backpacks look like shit, but this one has that “boxy” classic look so I dig it. I use it for daily commute and to travel aswell. It’s super simple, Just a huge main compartiment with the laptop pocket and then the front pocket (which has a decent size aswell) that acts like the skateboard strap. It has 32L so it feels like a black hole throwing stuff inside, but at the same time it doesn’t look too massive to use everyday. And there’s a rubberized layer over the nylon to avoid griptape abrasion since that seems like a plus for you. I also like the stabilizer strap on the front.
The price is also decent so I thought it was a good purchase.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »
I recently bought a Dakine backpack for my camera because it had everything I needed for a good price. I'm quite surprised about the quality and details.

I can also handle the board but I don't think I'm gonna skate with more than 10000$ in camera equipment

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »
I've been using one of those Chrome Cardiel ORP bags for a little bit now and I love it. The only downside is that it doesn't have a small pocket or anything on the front so you have to unroll it overtime you need something. People on bikes are way more particular about the bags than skaters, so you could maybe try a bike shop if you want to see some options in person. Otherwise 6pm has good deals all the time on pretty much every brand mentioned in here.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »

That Hex Guy bag has the same problem as many skate backpacks: you're supposed to hang the board by the upper truck, which makes the board hang low, possibly rubbing against your bike seat and generally being in the way.
Ahhh, travelling by bike gives you a few other options.  You can also get a rear pannier rack with spring clamp for your bike.  Then sling the front truck through the spring clamp so it points behind you as you travel.  Putting some bungee cords around the rack and wheels minimize side to side movement.  I did this a lot on my older bike and never had any problems.  I put the Dakine bag on the front rack (also with a spring clamp) and it made a world of different on long rides in summer.   

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

damn ccs only has the skate backpack which is far less inferior then this one. i may pull the trigger and get the guy mariano one if i can find it on sale. i use a backpack to work and alotta times go skating afterward - pretty much been like this for the last decade so that backpack looks really functional. is it worth $80?

I've been digging it, I picked up last year and use it daily and it's still just like new. The bag keeps its form which I really like because I hate it when a back pack gets all crumpled and shit when you set it down. As pointed out its not ideal if you're going to be biking. I use mine on public transportation/walking. I found it looking for a skate back pack that was made in america (sadly this one was not).

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've been digging it, I picked up last year and use it daily and it's still just like new. The bag keeps its form which I really like because I hate it when a back pack gets all crumpled and shit when you set it down. As pointed out its not ideal if you're going to be biking. I use mine on public transportation/walking. I found it looking for a skate back pack that was made in america (sadly this one was not).

ha my bike has a rack for my board so i really wouldnt be using to hold my board (when i do travel i check my board in) and id use it more as a backpack i have with my my whole day. so it seems ideal with the all the pouches to have a tool chilling in there.

im using a regular jansport but i always have to rotate my things out and often leave things behind

so im looking for a good backpack with a lotta pouches - i might just go to a out door store and look at brands like North Face, Colombia etc.  Ive had a few of those and they eventually do tear or have zippers break but these brands have been WAY better than any skate bag/hershel or jansport ive owned.

[

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »
You can find some pretty great deals on skate backpacks on Amazon too. I think it's just a lot of the past few years models that would be sold out if a skate shop tried to order them. I got a RVCA one that is fine, has a lot of pockets and holds the pads I bought it to hold. I don't rely on a backpack nearly as much as I used to so the thing mostly lives in my car but it seems pretty legit. It was also $20
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

artskool

• Rep: 31
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 08:50:13 AM »

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »
found the grey/black one on daddys boardshop with a 20% off discount code came to $71.

[