Author Topic: Does Supreme "give back" to skating?  (Read 16255 times)

ZachMoldof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -42
Does Supreme "give back" to skating?
« on: June 06, 2018, 11:11:56 PM »
They've got to be one of the most profitable companies in skate. And half the company is owned by Carlyle Group, which is entirely antithetical to what skateboarding stands for. But it doesn't seem like they get any criticism at all. I feel like lots of skaters have learned to be super-critical of Nike, but it doesn't seem like there is a mass consensus about Supreme being bad for skate.

I can't recall ever hearing about Supreme doing stuff for skaters–besides sponsoring riders. No contests, no dontations, no skateparks, nothing at all that I can recall. Am I missing pieces of the picture, or is this an accurate take?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Does Supreme "give back" to skating?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:14:24 PM »
Its not the same as nike because they started as a skate shop, not a running shoe shop.
That said, Supreme is beyond corny in its current form.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

High Hair

• Rep: -34
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:38:32 PM »
I don't care if Carlyle are on some real evil shit I JUST WANNA KILL ALL THESE FUCKING GOD DAMN FUCKING NAZIS AND I WONT STOP TIL THEY'RE ALL DED!!!FUCK NAZIS!!!SMASH THE FASH!!!

IHOP

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 11:58:06 PM »
how is supreme "bad for skate" when they sell their overpriced gear to 95% non skaters, employ skateboarders in stores and behind the scenes, a full skate team, and make skate videos that are pretty classic.  Is a company only beneficial to the culture of skateboarding if they build a skatepark?

I dont own any of it, they have made a ton of questionable moves, but I dont get why people get so worked up over a brand being successful in their own lane.

poser666

• Rep: -64
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:14:42 AM »
i know supreme is limited and that sells good but how the hell did they manage to get the fruitcakes wanting it so bad.....the quality on the box logo hoods really are the best tho they are thick and heavy as hell and will last a lifetime. not worth resale tho...but i can see why they cost almost a bill more than typical skate hoodies..

disintegration

• Rep: -113
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:47:20 AM »
Have bowls inside shops. Don't let people skate it. Says it all really.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 02:01:18 AM »
Its not the same as nike because they started as a skate shop, not a running shoe shop.
^^that plus if they keep coming up with video and with Strobeck on the payroll, they're doing something for the culture imo

Prawn Cocktail

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 02:31:29 AM »
i know supreme is limited and that sells good but how the hell did they manage to get the fruitcakes wanting it so bad.....the quality on the box logo hoods really are the best tho they are thick and heavy as hell and will last a lifetime. not worth resale tho...but i can see why they cost almost a bill more than typical skate hoodies..

They're made by reigning champ.

Prawn Cocktail

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 02:33:38 AM »
They actually do cop a load of criticism.

And they're a skate brand as much as Ralph Lauren is a saddle maker. They do have authenticity but its wearing thin. 20 year curse and all that.

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -61
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 03:00:44 AM »
This just screams skateboarding...

Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 03:45:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
^^that plus if they keep coming up with video and with Strobeck on the payroll, they're doing something for the culture imo

it's not enough "giving back" at all considering the amount of money they're sitting on...
Palace is way more respectable in that sense and it says a lot
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:58:39 AM by BALARGUE »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 04:10:55 AM »
Do I own SUPREME?
Yes, a lot of it too.
Almost all old stuff though.
The boxlogo hoodies are indeed pretty good quality, NOWHERE near worth resell prices.
But to be fair, their stuff isn't that expensive if you can buy retail.

The aftermarket is INSANE, and I agree that in the last few years (2012 and onwards) it became really really wack.

But with the TON of money they're sitting on it would be cool to see if they gave back to skaters/kids that come from a 'less privileged' background... They use that image to SELL after all right? The grungy/grimey NY look?

Well I truly wish they would start some kind of charity to help the kids that come from those neighborhoods, that maybe skate and barely have enough money to buy a pair of walmart jeans...

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 04:31:44 AM »
Even though Fat Bill is a douche, they did give us “cherry” and help jump start one of my current favs Tyshawn carreer or at least gave him more exposure with that overhyped video.

The clothing itself can be good quality I guess, the t-shirts are as top quality as those thick basic thrasher shirts though.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 04:44:16 AM »
All I know about Supreme is I like their videos, they are supposedly opening up a store in SF, and people use bots to be the first to buy their online releases which they then go on to resell.

I've never understood the whole stand in line to buy clothing / gear based off a logo or design, then again flipping shoes to those people standing in like for 5x their price helped me fund a few skate trips back in the day.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:46:31 AM by tkp »

Bhaktih

• Rep: -18
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 04:48:08 AM »
Do I own SUPREME?
Yes, a lot of it too.
Almost all old stuff though.
The boxlogo hoodies are indeed pretty good quality, NOWHERE near worth resell prices.
But to be fair, their stuff isn't that expensive if you can buy retail.

The aftermarket is INSANE, and I agree that in the last few years (2012 and onwards) it became really really wack.

But with the TON of money they're sitting on it would be cool to see if they gave back to skaters/kids that come from a 'less privileged' background... They use that image to SELL after all right? The grungy/grimey NY look?

Well I truly wish they would start some kind of charity to help the kids that come from those neighborhoods, that maybe skate and barely have enough money to buy a pair of walmart jeans...

They had those Kate Moss shirts and then they had the Grosso shirt with AH collab. It used to be what you're talking about, but they sell the most easily digestable parts of skateboarding back to people. Skateboarding is a part of pop culture now.

Like the Three 6 shirt. Anytime I see/hear them I think of Baker videos, but most other people think of Stay Fly I'd imagine. My understanding was they helped with that 12th & A park when it was still a thing. But yeah, the contributions to the culture and actual skateboarders through a paycheck is nice, but it seems unbalanced. I've seen Jeff Pang working there once.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 05:09:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

it's not enough "giving back" at all considering the amount of money they're sitting on...
Palace is way more respectable in that sense and it says a lot
no doubt the british are ginvig back way more, but hey, they could be just keeping atention to the hypebeast pple. Said so, the only supreme thing i've bought since 2002 (first time i went to new york and got myself a camper hat) was cherry dvd. Never been a fan of the cool cat vibe they've seemed to embrace over the years

feedmeseymour

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 05:33:47 AM »
the kids who skate for supreme are all very good, most of the clothing sucks minus a drop or two (akira).

the fact that they dont let randoms skate that bowl is crazy, orchard in boston lets people skate their birds nest bowl no problem. id rather give them my money than supreme

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 05:41:36 AM »
I’ve always thought that I wasn’t cool enough to wear anything from Supreme.  Guess the tables have Supremely turned.

Hopefully the Van Heusen young men’s collection will get hot.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:04:53 AM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 05:57:48 AM »
James Jebbia brought a lot of insight to Supreme via his involvement with Union. The branding and retail incorporated/ripped off strategic choices and aesthetics from luxury goods and fine art. To have your core product, the box logo tee, crib from an artist (Barbara Krueger) concerned with the dehumanizing aspects of capitalism points to a savvy, diabolical outlook, as do all the collaborations. You see Joy Division Unknown Pleasures tees everywhere, but only Supreme licensed the art from Peter Saville.

They've always played with exclusivity as a calling card, so the rude employees, limited drops, and long lines are strategic. Supreme wants to make you feel like an outsider and desire to be a part of their thing, although you most certainly never will. But you can wear the shirt: manipulation through class anxiety.

The recent videos and skate team really bought them a lot more time. They injected a lot of energy. And if they diversify, they could last longer. Look at Polo/RRL - a brand can grow with its customers.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:39:47 PM by n0torious »

GinosGroceries

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 06:53:41 AM »
Skateboarding isn't entitled to any of Supreme's money. Supreme could be deemed uncool in an instant by the masses so they're probably doing the smart thing and saving the money. Sure, they probably could afford to spread some cash here and there but like Busenitz said "you can't retire on street cred."

Can you imagine how many randoms would show up if Supreme let them skate the bowl? You'd probably get first timer hypebeasts trying to skate the flat lol.
A lot of people who haven't purchased anything Supreme in their life would show up too. They're not entitled to ride the bowl of a private company. Maybe they could let people who buy stuff skate the bowl though

shark tits

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 07:00:42 AM »
ask not what supreme is doing for skateboarding, ask what you can do for skateboarding.

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 07:25:44 AM »
don’t reckon there will ever be another industry that asks companies to “give back” to the culture (whatever the fuck that means) than skateboarding.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 07:31:31 AM »
i bought a supreme 5 panel skated in it for months and sold it for more than i paid

thanks supreme

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »
You have to wait in line to just go inside, sometimes RSVPto shop! So if they opened up the bowl to the public. Line would be around the block every day lol

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 08:38:42 AM »
I remember there was a Rob Pluhowski interview where he said they were all a bunch of dicks. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

casper

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 08:45:40 AM »
I like supreme. My first hand experience with them is they are nice and take care of skateboarders.

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 09:06:46 AM »
Was just at the Brooklyn location recently. I didn’t know people weren’t allowed to skate the bowl and I was super bummed to learn it’s off limits when I got there. To be fair an employee did bring me up there and let me see it, looks like a blast to skate.

At least Supreme has roots in skateboariding, collaborates with respected skateboard companies, supports some very good skateboarders, and continues to sell boards and shoes.
MN -> IL

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »
why the fuck they got a bowl but people arent allowed to skate it? pros/team only? how tf feedback ts up there rinsing that same feeble fakie clip everytime tranny comes up on insta

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »
supreme ny is a very warm and welcoming skate shop. whenever i need a bolt or something they let me walk behind the counter and get one for free. 10/10 great group a guys

hehe  ;D

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 09:33:48 AM »
I thought Supreme was lame the first time I walked in there in the 90's, and it's so very much worse now. People are bummed on Vans corporate overlords, but are cool with these guys?
https://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/10/10/the-carlyle-group-supreme/