Author Topic: Does Supreme "give back" to skating?  (Read 16279 times)

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Does Supreme "give back" to skating?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »
No
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »
I thought Supreme was lame the first time I walked in there in the 90's, and it's so very much worse now. People are bummed on Vans corporate overlords, but are cool with these guys?
https://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/10/10/the-carlyle-group-supreme/

Supreme did 9/11

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
supreme really isn't a thing here, we've got way too many local companies going on to give a shit, except for these 2 stoned nerds I know, they love overpaying for their gear

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »
best not to develop any kind of interdependent relationship with a company. skating should remain diy and independent to maintain the balance of power.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
The craziest part to me, isn't really that they avoid giving back...

It's that the majority of actual skaters seem to think they're lame. Yet they find a way to still associate themselves with legends like Dylan, Gonz, Koston, Dill, etc.

I mean I guess as far as paychecks/free gear goes, I'd rather be linked to Supreme before Monster/Redbull.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 10:38:09 AM »
The craziest part to me, isn't really that they avoid giving back...

It's that the majority of actual skaters seem to think they're lame. Yet they find a way to still associate themselves with legends like Dylan, Gonz, Koston, Dill, etc.

I mean I guess as far as paychecks/free gear goes, I'd rather be linked to Supreme before Monster/Redbull.

I won't speak on Monster, but I bet a Redbull check arrives right on time. If Redbull would sponsor me for anything--anything--I would sign on the dotted, fucking line.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 10:40:36 AM »
supreme is sick because i bought into it heavy for a year or two wore all of it, fell into bodies of water wearing it, spilled peanut butter and jelly on it, and then sold it all to idiots on ebay for profit who would flip the fuck out when you didn't supply them a tracking number 6.8 seconds after they clicked "buy it now."

so yeah, they aight in my book.

good come sausage

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »
I couldn't give a fuck about them but I find it interesting that the same people that are vocal about disliking them expect them to allow people to skate their bowl.

Mcfctid

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »
Listen to Tim O'Connors podcast with strobeck , his answer to why supreme employees are douchebags is simply  "they gotta deal with people man" , il give my money to zumiez before I give to supreme

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3327
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »
I miss the days when people referred to them as 'preme. That was hot.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
no one i know gives a fuck bout supreme
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

IHOP

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »
yea what? why should a bowl thats in their store be open to the public all the time.  imagine you gotta work a retail job at the busiest hour all day long, and then hear fools skating the entire time.

I honestly think supreme gives back to the culture of skateboarding more than most brands right now.  Cherry had a huge influence on the youth and so many filmers are ripping off bill, that dylan section alone is such a perfect part.  A video of tyshawn and crew skating sf does a lot more for the sterile culture of skateboarding right now, than that volcom video that just came out a few days ago.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
supreme is pretty kook'd. The "riders" are alright though,

whatthefuuu

• Rep: 3
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
I remember there was a Rob Pluhowski interview where he said they were all a bunch of dicks.

Those dudes have been dicks since day one.

https://hooktube.com/WU-8c0leii0?t=24m47s

The only good thing about the clothes is that they help to instantly identify a poser.

shark tits

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2018, 01:26:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I remember there was a Rob Pluhowski interview where he said they were all a bunch of dicks.
[close]

The only good thing about the clothes is that they help to instantly identify a poser.
[close]

pffttt hahahah ive been wearing supreme since like 04' and been skating longer. call me a poser to my face for wearing supreme and i will absolutely fold you. no cap.
"fuck supreme! bangin on my chest"
*knocks your hat of

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »
Lol I skated the bowl in LA and still hate them. Their shit is just corny, not evil or mean.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Ghost Face Nigga

• Rep: -34
  • Im black
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

pffttt hahahah ive been wearing supreme since like 04' and been skating longer. call me a poser to my face for wearing supreme and i will absolutely fold you. no cap.
[close]
"fuck supreme! bangin on my chest"
*knocks your hat of

hahahahah holy shit i forgot about that dude. ok ok ok no cap that dude could call me a poser, thats fine. that man is doing the lords works!!!
Horny 2 Skate

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »
I’m like 95% sure they are just a social experiment to see what people will pay for a logo at this point.  I delivered food to the LA store a few years back and they were super nice and tipped well so cool in my book.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3327
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »
I’m like 95% sure they are just a social experiment to see what people will pay for a logo at this point.  I delivered food to the LA store a few years back and they were super nice and tipped well so cool in my book.

I have to say, having worked may years of my life for tips, that this speaks volumes.

wikileaks

• Rep: -34
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2018, 02:18:47 PM »
They've got to be one of the most profitable companies in skate. And half the company is owned by Carlyle Group, which is entirely antithetical to what skateboarding stands for. But it doesn't seem like they get any criticism at all. I feel like lots of skaters have learned to be super-critical of Nike, but it doesn't seem like there is a mass consensus about Supreme being bad for skate.

I can't recall ever hearing about Supreme doing stuff for skaters–besides sponsoring riders. No contests, no dontations, no skateparks, nothing at all that I can recall. Am I missing pieces of the picture, or is this an accurate take?

what about DVS being owned by SBG. Huf and Lakai being owned by Altamont Capital. Supra being owned by K-Swiss. Vans being owned by VF. converse being owned by Nike. I could go on and on. Point is they started as a skateshop. they employ countless skaters and allow many of them to have careers. do you think half of todays pro skaters would still be pro skaters if there was no corporate support? no they'd have to get a real job and support their family. you may hate it but most of if not all of the skaters you love have been able to have a long successful career party because of corporate sponsors at one point of their career or another.

Doroteo Arango

• Rep: -28
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »
they pay top dollar to skateboarders to not try hard and look cool.  I guess that is supporting skateboarding or atleast showing it to mainstream hipster culture which maybe introduces them to the real thing. maybe or nah

bucketoftruth

• Rep: 12
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
If you expect any skate companies to do more than give you shit to buy, you are wrong and dumb. Just become the billboard you want to be and wear the cool kid costume and shut the fuck up, or not, nobody cares.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2018, 03:05:06 PM »
If you expect any skate companies to do more than give you shit to buy, you are wrong and dumb. Just become the billboard you want to be and wear the cool kid costume and shut the fuck up, or not, nobody cares.

Thread

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »

Not true at all. There's lots of companies that give back lots to skating. Vans & DLXSF both come to mind.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2018, 05:41:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not true at all. There's lots of companies that give back lots to skating. Vans & DLXSF both come to mind.

Sole Tech financed The Lake Forest Skatepark and donated another $1 million to keep it free. And although this is not necessarily giving back to skateboarding, they have donated thousands of pairs of shoes to homeless and needy local families. I know that Zero and DLX are big supporters (i.e., give money and product) to Skateistan. Many individual skaters and company owners, including Tony Hawk (not to mention the Tony Hawk Foundation), Jamie Thomas, PRod,  have also donated their time and money. Real Skateboards also does the Actions Realized thing. There are many others.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »
Do skaters like supreme more than supreme likes skaters?  Isn't the reason why skaters buy supreme is because it's not element? 

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2018, 05:59:32 PM »
I thought No it doesn’t but after this pic it def gives back

Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2018, 01:41:35 AM »

That's a lot of pixelation. He either hangs mad dong or there's a wanted little person hiding in his crotch.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2018, 02:27:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
That's a lot of pixelation. He either hangs mad dong or there's a wanted little person hiding in his crotch.

Haha

Supreme and that whole culture of limited street wear at its core has such strange fetish to it. They run on how badly people want the products. Just making them as desireable as possible which means they need to be very limited and expensive. It is not for everyone! You can't just skate our bowl, we don't associate with that regular shit. You need to know people!
The other day at the skatepark I saw a whole group of people in their thirties doing a photo shoot for a limited release nike shoe. Literally for hours they would put the shoe in different positions and take photos from various angles. Later I saw them taking photos of each other standing on this old looking railroad bridge. I guess they wanted to add some grittiness to their pictures. Fucking standing on the railroad tracks risking their life for dumb photos with some stupid sneakers!

Ghost Face

• Rep: 107
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2018, 04:08:41 AM »
Expand Quote
They've got to be one of the most profitable companies in skate. And half the company is owned by Carlyle Group, which is entirely antithetical to what skateboarding stands for. But it doesn't seem like they get any criticism at all. I feel like lots of skaters have learned to be super-critical of Nike, but it doesn't seem like there is a mass consensus about Supreme being bad for skate.

I can't recall ever hearing about Supreme doing stuff for skaters–besides sponsoring riders. No contests, no dontations, no skateparks, nothing at all that I can recall. Am I missing pieces of the picture, or is this an accurate take?
[close]

what about DVS being owned by SBG. Huf and Lakai being owned by Altamont Capital. Supra being owned by K-Swiss. Vans being owned by VF. converse being owned by Nike. I could go on and on. Point is they started as a skateshop. they employ countless skaters and allow many of them to have careers. do you think half of todays pro skaters would still be pro skaters if there was no corporate support? no they'd have to get a real job and support their family. you may hate it but most of if not all of the skaters you love have been able to have a long successful career party because of corporate sponsors at one point of their career or another.

You missed something: (I hate that I'm posting a link to a Hypebeast page but): https://hypebeast.com/2017/11/huf-tsi-holdings-acquisition-90-percent-stake
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."