Author Topic: Deck Specs  (Read 4899 times)

B. Hopper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Deck Specs
« on: June 08, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
Of all the specs. available to us in the modern age, I think width gets the most attention, however I contend that length is the more/most important dimension.

What say you?
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
Re: Deck Specs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »
girth
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
width and wheelbase
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 04:20:07 PM »

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
It all matters to me. I like 8.38 to 8.5 but prefer an 8.38. but I cant make jumps like that in length and wheelbase that easy.

I like a shorter deck with short wheelbases and short nose and tail. If I go longer it starts to feel like a boat instead of a jetski.

The G016 girl 8.375 I'm on right now feels perfect. Don't know if I'll switch it up much after riding this.

Trucks play a huge part too. My krux feel good on this girl deck but if I put my ventures or thunders on it the wheels sit way to far back in the pockets and it feels goofy as hell. Ventures even more so than thunders.

B. Hopper

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »
I've tried a bunch of different setups the last year or so. Simply because I can. It's fun. Seems to me that length is relative to my height/leg length, and for street skating, that's been the biggest factor in having board control and pop...if I had to choose one dimension that is...
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
width is the most impacting for me. especially when sizing down. once if ridden bigger decks anything smaller just feels unstable. i think length might be second for me.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »
As someone who's been steadily sizing up in width over the last 4 years, I actually think it's wheelbase.  I've been on 8.5 with 14.5 wheelbase for the last 2 years, and felt like I had a hard time scooping some shuvit and 360 shuv variations.  I got a xmas complete setup recently that's 8.25 with a 14.25 wheelbase.

The WB effects the way the board turns (or feels when you land on it), and for me, where I need to set my feet up for flip tricks.  It's also noticeable on scoop-based tricks.  I've gotten used to it for the most part, but thing if you're only varying the width within 1/4 of an inch, wheelbase is way more important.

ungzilla

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 06:45:44 PM »
i buy based on circumference and volume measurements

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »
It's wheelbase>length>width for me

14.375/38 WB> under 32" but over 31.5" and 8.18" min to 8.38" max

Perfection:14.375"WBx31.85"x8.3" in a FULL shape.

I can get away with a 14.25"WB if I rock Thunders.

No one makes them. Come ON DLX, make the Ishod TT in a full SE, I'M BEGGING YOU.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:45:26 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 10:49:08 PM »
A quarter of an inch on nose, tail, and wheel base is still rideable....8.25 to 9.0?..... I know it's the Internet and we are discussing it but......

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 12:36:01 AM »
It's wheelbase>length>width for me

14.375/38 WB> under 32" but over 31.5" and 8.18" min to 8.38" max

Perfection:14.375"WBx31.85"x8.3" in a FULL shape.

I can get away with a 14.25"WB if I rock Thunders.

No one makes them. Come ON DLX, make the Ishod TT in a full SE, I'M BEGGING YOU.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 01:44:31 AM »
i also feel like the length and the wheelbase are more important to me than the width, i can skate anything 8.25-8.5 (usually 8.5s) but can't skate wheelbases longer than 14.38
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 01:49:30 AM »
i also feel like the length and the wheelbase are more important to me than the width, i can skate anything 8.25-8.5 (usually 8.5s) but can't skate wheelbases longer than 14.38

I 💯% agree! Especially if you pair a longer wb with thunders.

Wb (shorter than 14.375) >length>width (8.25-8.5) I rode a real full non se and it's umongous

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 08:00:47 AM »
anyone else literally skate whatever decks they could get their hands on when they were younger out of necessity/hand me downs/etc and now as an adult you're somewhat picky and snobbish over what you ride

anyway for me i dont really get too in depth, 8.5 seems to be the good spot for me. skated a nice somewhat shaped 8.5 with a 15" wheelbase that was perfect but they dont make em anymore :(

B. Hopper

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
anyone else literally skate whatever decks they could get their hands on when they were younger out of necessity/hand me downs/etc and now as an adult you're somewhat picky and snobbish over what you ride

Sorta the point of the thread. I started in 1980. We didn't even have specs on boards. Skateboards were just skateboards. All these dimensions and spec sheets on things are a new world to me. I keep multiple setups from 8.25 to 9 and ride them all for the same style of skating because: 1; it's fun and 2; because I can.

I don't think it's being a snob though to take advantage of having all these choices and luxuries. I think it's just fun and I enjoy having choices.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sorta the point of the thread. I started in 1980. We didn't even have specs on boards. Skateboards were just skateboards. All these dimensions and spec sheets on things are a new world to me. I keep multiple setups from 8.25 to 9 and ride them all for the same style of skating because: 1; it's fun and 2; because I can.

I don't think it's being a snob though to take advantage of having all these choices and luxuries. I think it's just fun and I enjoy having choices.

In the 80s all that shit was 10x30 (10" at the widest) with a WB of 15" or more. Nose and tail length didn't matter as it was all tail(probably 7" plus. It wasn't until The New Deal shapes came out that things shook up the norm and nose length started to matter, that's when we started measuring shit:P

I do miss those days, buying boards due to the shape being new or with a bigger nose, getting that first set of [small back then] 55mm wheels:P We cared less but we still knew what worked (thunder and venture) and what didn't (gullwing and tracker), Natas and Gonz boards were all we rode...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »
I like my girl deck, has some nostalgia too cause I liked them a lot back then but only bought sale decks

I like that they keep it old skool with a short wheelbase but wide deck

Makes it easy to pop and flip but stable
yes

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i never really had any issue with specs growing up either. even if a board was wider than i was used to it was barely wider and i got used to it pretty quick. however, recently when i started riding 9.5+ decks it feels impossible when i try to ride decks 8.5 and under. i just feel so unstable.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 02:05:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i never really had any issue with specs growing up either. even if a board was wider than i was used to it was barely wider and i got used to it pretty quick. however, recently when i started riding 9.5+ decks it feels impossible when i try to ride decks 8.5 and under. i just feel so unstable.

Are you sure your riding a skateboard? Sounds like a surfboard to me

How do you even flip a 9.5??
yes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 05:19:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Back in the day people use to flip boards that big no problem...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Back in the day people use to flip boards that big no problem...

Most of us starting flipping boards at 10"

Not Local

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 08:46:23 AM »
Tail length to Wheelbase ratio is important to me... I learned the hard way with a Creature 8.8. 15" wheelbase and 6.3" tail. Fucked me up but because it was a P2 I couldn't kill it quick enough... Minimum 6.5" tail.

Width seems to be less and less of an issue, as long as its 8.38" to 9" I can make it work.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:34:22 AM by Not Local »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »
Not sure if this is old news or not, but this is like catnip for those of us who nerd out over skateboards but instead of skateboards it was that we were cats and the catnip was this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sidcnh2cJH4&feature=share
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:26:05 AM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 10:25:00 AM »
If I see 8.0 x 31.75 and I like / respect the brand, yes

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
I think width is the most important, especially in the beginning. Once you realize what you truly like and your body slows up in terms of facing the downward trend of your peak, then everything matters (esp wheelbase).
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »
Tail length to Wheelbase ratio is important to me... I learned the hard way with a Creature 8.8. 15" wheelbase and 6.3" tail. Fucked me up but because it was a P2 I couldn't kill it quick enough... Minimum 14.5" tail.

Width seems to be less and less of an issue, as long as its 8.38" to 9" I can make it work.

damn, are you a longboarder?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »
I prefer the 8.12/8.18 with that 14.25wb... Also prefer under 32" in length.

Steep concave as well. Anything too flat, feels like it has more room to flex.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
Use to be I preferred 8" but somehow got use to 8.25" and everything in between till 9" I like a good foot placement and wheelbase to feel solid when getting down and landing cool shit, small boards just seem like toothpicks when I skate anything smaller than 8" Also I know it's probably bullshit but I like the hightech boards for impact support, Right now I have a Real Heavyweights 8.25" super awesome landed a few gaps and stairs no stress no bs good sailing.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »
Theres no real good place for this so i figured asking those who nerd out on 1/8th inches might be the best.

Do any of you guys feel your board is smaller when its dark?

i went skating last night for maybe 15 minutes before it was dark out. leaving my place board felt normal and good, coming back down the same street a while later my board felt like a twig

only thing that changed was it was noticeably darker