Author Topic: RIP Mark Hubbard  (Read 47958 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: RIP Mark Hubbard
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
What a life to lose. His legacy is literally set in stone though, and his spirit will live on through burnside and the rest of his amazing creations.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
Damn I feel so bad for his family. On last years road trip we went to his house and skated his vert ramp. He wasnt there but his wife let us skate the ramp. when we were leaving my fucking car wouldnt start so I had to go knock on the door and ask for a jump start. She jumped the car for us and and i gave her a squash that my wife grew in our backyard. She said Mark was gonna be hyped on the squash, and I always wondered if they ate it. life is short and fucked up.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »

One of the best quotes ever!
Made some amazing stuff.
RIP
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 07:35:44 PM »
People like Mark are the real heroes of skateboarding. We've lost a real good one.

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
Expand Quote
People like Mark are the real heroes of skateboarding. We've lost a real good one.
[close]

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »

One of the best quotes ever!
Made some amazing stuff.
RIP
lol I remember going to a grindline park for the first time when i was 16 and tripping on how dangerous it was. An eye opener for sure

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -61
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2018, 12:58:50 AM »
What a beautiful fucking legacy he left.
Spraying concrete is one of the filthiest, grimiest tasks around and he did it all for us.
R.I.P. Monk.
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 12:05:11 PM »
This is a huge loss...Monk helped lead the way so concrete transition was still an important part of skating.  He didn't just do it for himself but everyone.....

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:49:55 PM by j....soy..... »

QueeferMadness

• Rep: -343
  • Don't Fear The Queefer
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »
Dude was skateboarding personified. RIP.

Poser666, pick your spots better man. Come on.

Jimmy Q

• Rep: 11
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2018, 06:38:38 PM »

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
https://www.gofundme.com/Mark-Hubbard-memorial

Let's keep this right at the top.  This is a skateboard forum.  Everyone here should kick in whatever you can if we really value skateboarding.  If you've EVER skated a DIY spot, you can thank Hubbard.  If you ever learned to mix mud and form transitions, you can most likely thank Hubbard.  The parks he left behind will live on forever, and the knowledge he passed on to skateboarding as a whole is enough to carry skateboarding into the next millennium. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
RIP Monk.
I live my life every night on the dark side

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 01:49:04 PM »
Living in a small town, I benefitted so much from having an early Grindline park built nearby. It's where I met people who are my best friends 15 years later.

Stories about Monk, Red, Rabbi, etc., were like currency to us, the stories were so unbelievable. The first time Hubbard showed up at the park, carrying an iPod and a guitar speaker blasting Geto Boys, I was too scared to talk to him. My friend jumped off the bench and said, "Hey, are you Monk?" and they shook hands. My friend reported later that Monk's hand shake was kinda weak – no idea if that was true or if my friend was showing off.

By the end of the day he invited our whole crew to skate the West Seattle bowls, and we were not "cool." We were awkward small town teenagers; some of us thought we were hip hop, or punk rockers. Some were homeschooled. I wore a helmet and we were all just weirdos. When we showed up, it was like looking through a window into another world. That was a really cool thing for him to do. I'll pitch in for sure because I know I would be a different person without him. We all would be – every hot young kid can skate transitions now and I'm not sure that would be the case without Hubbard and Red.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »
Living in a small town, I benefitted so much from having an early Grindline park built nearby. It's where I met people who are my best friends 15 years later.

Stories about Monk, Red, Rabbi, etc., were like currency to us, the stories were so unbelievable. The first time Hubbard showed up at the park, carrying an iPod and a guitar speaker blasting Geto Boys, I was too scared to talk to him. My friend jumped off the bench and said, "Hey, are you Monk?" and they shook hands. My friend reported later that Monk's hand shake was kinda weak – no idea if that was true or if my friend was showing off.

By the end of the day he invited our whole crew to skate the West Seattle bowls, and we were not "cool." We were awkward small town teenagers; some of us thought we were hip hop, or punk rockers. Some were homeschooled. I wore a helmet and we were all just weirdos. When we showed up, it was like looking through a window into another world. That was a really cool thing for him to do. I'll pitch in for sure because I know I would be a different person without him. We all would be – every hot young kid can skate transitions now and I'm not sure that would be the case without Hubbard and Red.

Respect, there's so many stories like that about him.  I met him a couple of times through mutual friends, but the things those dudes all have done and will continue doing for skateboarding is what will keep skateboarding what it was always intended to do. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

drunkenshredder

• Rep: -135
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:56 PM »

Let's keep this right at the top.  This is a skateboard forum.  Everyone here should kick in whatever you can if we really value skateboarding.  If you've EVER skated a DIY spot, you can thank Hubbard.  If you ever learned to mix mud and form transitions, you can most likely thank Hubbard.  The parks he left behind will live on forever, and the knowledge he passed on to skateboarding as a whole is enough to carry skateboarding into the next millennium.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2018, 12:06:59 AM »

I thought your whole message was touching, but particularly the last sentence.  Much love and be safe out there Pals

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I thought your whole message was touching, but particularly the last sentence.  Much love and be safe out there Pals

Thanks, I only met Monk a few times, but the dude was skateboarding personified. 

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »

By the end of the day he invited our whole crew to skate the West Seattle bowls, and we were not "cool." We were awkward small town teenagers; some of us thought we were hip hop, or punk rockers. Some were homeschooled. I wore a helmet and we were all just weirdos. When we showed up, it was like looking through a window into another world. That was a really cool thing for him to do. I'll pitch in for sure because I know I would be a different person without him. We all would be – every hot young kid can skate transitions now and I'm not sure that would be the case without Hubbard and Red.

Fuck, this is a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »
I grew up in Vista, CA and learned how to do a lot of my fundamentals at the old Carlsbad and Vista parks. Most of the parks around here with the exception of the YMCA were built by companies that didn't give a shit about or know anything about skateboarding. Vista's skaters petitioned our city for eight years to build us another park and last year, Monk and the Grindline crew built us two incredible parks right in the middle of Vista. Thank you Mark for giving us parks all over the US and a skatepark in Vista again. RIP Monk

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »
he was a heroin junkie?  sad.

SlappyBum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2018, 01:03:20 PM »
Gonna go ahead and bump this

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »
Keep Monk on top

thebacker

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »

notcool

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
proof?

i love how everyone immediately says it was H when someone dies.  Yes he was of young age to die so it could of been an od. also could of been suicide or a heart attack so were not gonna know till its official.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
proof?

Most of the time, if cause of death is not mentioned in obituaries it's drugs or suicide and the family doesn't want to advertise it.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
proof?
[close]

Most of the time, if cause of death is not mentioned in obituaries it's drugs or suicide and the family doesn't want to advertise it.

"died suddenly at home"
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

notcool

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »
You're most likely right every time I've lost a friend to drugs or suicide they never mention it in the obituary

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »
Its not evidence, but every recent picture of the dude looks like he is pretty strung out. Of course that look could lead to assumptions.
Opiates are fucking garbage and take people in their prime
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

notcool

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »
Its not evidence, but every recent picture of the dude looks like he is pretty strung out. Of course that look could lead to assumptions.
Opiates are fucking garbage and take people in their prime
they took my prime skate years fucking doctors prescribing autrocious amounts of opiates then cutting me off

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »
I've been at Burnside trying tricks and nothing made me commit more was having either Monk, or Red screaming at me to land it. Those dudes are old school, and can be harsh at times but, it always felt like that they were the dad that believed in you, and knew you could do it. I've been there at 8am and seen them hyping up little kids. Monk was a skater through and through didn't matter how rad you were getting as long as you were going for it. I plan on grabbing one of his beer city boards when I get my next paycheck.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW