Author Topic: (semi) new skater here, have a few questions  (Read 1172 times)

ciaran7578

• Rep: 0
(semi) new skater here, have a few questions
« on: April 11, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »
i have been skating since about November, starting out with a kryptonics board i found in a park, and me unknowing it was a bad idea, i got a penny board and a longboard, after i watched some videos about skating, i bought a Popsicle board.

1. what shoes would you reccomend? i have high top vans but i can't really hit an olly, t hey feel heavy especially since i am a size 11,

2. what would you change about my board?
(specs at bottom)
would you change the bearings?

3. does weight matter about how fast you go?

4. my red bearings as i said b4 arent pleasing me, they dont seem to last long, i bought two sets. havent let me go very fast or very far which is quite discouriging, should i get the bone lube or whatever it's called?

these are my deck specs
Trucks: Thunder Team 151 Polished Skateboard Trucks

bearings: bone reds
(not sure if they need to be lubricated again but so far im not happy with them)

wheels: 55 mm bones 100 purple 4pk

deck: 8' deck

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
Re: (semi) new skater here, have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
yes, get the boner lube.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -290
  • ants suck!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
i have been skating since about November, starting out with a kryptonics board i found in a park, and me unknowing it was a bad idea, i got a penny board and a longboard, after i watched some videos about skating, i bought a Popsicle board.

1. what shoes would you reccomend? i have high top vans but i can't really hit an olly, t hey feel heavy especially since i am a size 11,

(specs at bottom)

4. my red bearings as i said b4 arent pleasing me, they dont seem to last long, i bought two sets. havent let me go very fast or very far which is quite discouriging, should i get the bone lube or whatever it's called?

these are my deck specs

(not sure if they need to be lubricated again but so far im not happy with them)

first of all, this ain the place kiddo, but you should get some f4 spifires and comeback when you forget how to kickflip atleast
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -71
    • Whitebread Skateboarding
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »

(specs at bottom)

these are my deck specs

your deck seems kinda wide for a beginner

the_unknown_soldier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -80
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:58:09 AM »
Honestly, and I'm not saying this to be dismissive, but I would advise you to seek out a local skateshop in your area for guidance. Since most of your questions are about gear you're gonna get a hundred different answers from a hundred different people who skate differently. If you've got a good shop with good folks running it they'll be glad be able to help you get a good set up for your needs, especially if you're a beginner and don't necessarily know what you want.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -460
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
^What he said

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down.

streetsoup

• Rep: -21
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 05:19:59 PM »
Size 11? You need an 8.5 sir.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -321
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »

(specs at bottom)

these are my deck specs

your deck seems kinda wide for a beginner
  Ignore this.
SuckTonycoxhawk.

ciaran7578

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 03:14:56 PM »

sorta hard to just "wear" an 8.5 when my feet can't fit that

ciaran7578

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »
Honestly, and I'm not saying this to be dismissive, but I would advise you to seek out a local skateshop in your area for guidance. Since most of your questions are about gear you're gonna get a hundred different answers from a hundred different people who skate differently. If you've got a good shop with good folks running it they'll be glad be able to help you get a good set up for your needs, especially if you're a beginner and don't necessarily know what you want.

that's where i got this deck, and the questions about hardware i have is sorta useless, but i will check in with a nearby shop to see if they can help?

GardenSkater77

• Rep: 3
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
1. Try shoes on in a store or order a few from a place like ccs with free return. Try Nike maybe.
2. 8 boarding is fine. I have size 12 shoe and I skated 8 boards for 10 years and 7.5 before that now on to 8.5.
3. Weight does not matter much.
4. I like your trucks and who cares about bearings unless you get Swiss.
5. Your wheels are to big for an 8 board. Go with 52 for an 8. Try a narrower wheels like the classic spitfire shape

Have fun

Michnich191

• Rep: -1
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 08:07:57 PM »

Think he meant an 8.5in board. your set up sounds pretty good. Personally I've skated the same pair of bones reds for at least 5 years, best ones out IMO. This may be obvious but if the ground your skating super rough obviously your gonna go slower. Elaborate on not going fast enough if you can, are you creeping to a stop after a push or 2? Or just generally want to go faster?

streetsoup

• Rep: -21
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »

Haha! I was not suggesting for you to try that. If your feet are size 11, then you might benefit from an 8.5 board width.

Cramming your massive fred flinstone feet in a pair of sample sizes will not help you.

redcurb12

• Rep: 3
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »
like someone above said - you could definitely size down your wheels.

reds are usually decent - maybe yours are dirty?

vans look cool but they're super thin and will feel better with some proper insoles. you should try both vulcs and cupsoles and see what you like more. i like having a few pairs of shoes to rotate

8 is a good size but everyone's different - just stand on some boards and pick whatever feels good. you'll find your size eventually

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -321
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 09:00:34 PM »
get a really wide board with 55 wheels.  You don't have to go fast, its skateboarding and you can do whatever you want.  Just skate a lot of hours and skate by yourself a lot, just for fun you don't need to impress people with jumping off high shit, just keep your head down and progress at your own rate.
SuckTonycoxhawk.

thomas kook

• Rep: 4
  • no
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 06:12:41 AM »

can i please put this in my sig
I want to express my attraction to Morgan Smith. He is such a cutie! I'd love to kiss him, hold hands with him, and snuggle in bed with him. I'm being completely sincere about this.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 07:17:27 AM »
151's are quite wide....normally your axel width will be similar to the width of your deck.

if you like your board width consider new trucks, if you like the stability of a wider truck try a bigger deck.

You're currently riding a narrow board on wide trucks...

revfredmorton

• Rep: -10
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »
i would get a 9" deck with those trucks and wheels, a bigger deck will fit you better.  and yes, ur bearings do need oil, u can usually drip it in without taking off the wheels if ur careful, u will go faster

FS-OverKOOK

• Rep: 5
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »
151s on a 8"? I have to see this. I guess wheelbite is a nonfactor. Nonetheless, keep rolling.