Author Topic: Wheelbase Q  (Read 3336 times)

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Wheelbase Q
« on: May 23, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
I apologize if this has been covered.

I have really never payed much attention to WB in the past but since I'm older now I need every advantage I can get.
I'm 6' 200lbs and skate 8.25-8.5" and I pretty much only skate ledges, flat and I still try to ollie up/over(not down) big shit. I'm curious what everyone thinks on how WB applies to a skaters size and type of skating.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
Re: Wheelbase Q
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »
I've recently begun factoring length and WB into my deck purchases as well. I think since you're on the bigger side, you likely appreciate the extra standing room of a board with a longer wb and have no trouble maneuvering it. I'm a smaller person (5'5 150 lbs) usually doing low impact street/technical oriented skating and I personally prefer an 8-8.125 x 31.3-31.7 with no longer than a 14" wheelbase. Any longer than that and I get in my head that I'm skating a longboard and I can't 360 flip.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:29:24 PM by baustin »

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »
obviously just skate what feels good, but if you're unsure what direction to go, longer boards and wheelbases are good for long smooth turning and stability and shorter boards and wheelbases are a bit snappier for quicker spins, shuvits, and nimble moves.

I'm 6'2" and can't get comfortable on anything smaller than 14.5

I have a schmitt stix with a 15.5 wb and it's insane how fast I can go on that and still feel in control -- except the lack of nose is a mind fuck when rolling in over coping

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »
I'm just over 6 5 and don't feel safe on anything under a 14.5 inch wheelbase. Something between 14.6 and 14.75 is ideal. That being said a lot of tricks are easier on boards with a small wheelbase, but rolling around just doenst feel as comfortable.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 04:55:20 PM »
Same with the height thing (6’3”, won’t skate anything under 14.125” WB). I also skate Venture Hi’s, so that adds a little bit to the wheelbase

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »
Bigger wheelbase is just more stable....but at times if you tack on a bigger board and alt of nose the board can feel sluggish.

I often say big wheel base kickflips feel better but short wheelbase makes me think I can do a 3 flip...

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
15" wheelbase used to be the gold standard for many years. It feels most comfortable to me. Personally, the overall dimensions affect its flippability more than wheelbase. Zip zingers are easy to 360 flip since they're so short, thin and light, despite the standard 14.25" wheelbase.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »
Then there's Chicos big boy.....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »
I've been fighting the WB monster for a few years now...14.3x/14.5 with the right trucks *I'me 5'10.5" and US10...14.25" feels too cramped as soon as I step on the board.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »
I've been skating a 15" WB for several months now, but over the weekend I set up a shorter board with about a 14.125" WB. While in general it felt a little cramped, I noticed right away that my nollies and switch ollies had way more pop than they usually do.

It could be that the shorter board is about 1/4" narrower and thus lighter, or that I was having a good day, or whatever, but the difference felt pretty crazy to me. And it seems counterintuitive that I would feel more comfortable skating switch on something that would normally feel less stable.

Anyone notice anything like this before?

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 11:40:44 AM »
I've been skating a 15" WB for several months now, but over the weekend I set up a shorter board with about a 14.125" WB. While in general it felt a little cramped, I noticed right away that my nollies and switch ollies had way more pop than they usually do.

It could be that the shorter board is about 1/4" narrower and thus lighter, or that I was having a good day, or whatever, but the difference felt pretty crazy to me. And it seems counterintuitive that I would feel more comfortable skating switch on something that would normally feel less stable.

Anyone notice anything like this before?

I would agree that a shorter wheelbase in combination with a longer or less steep nose/tail (whatever you're popping from) makes switch or nollie tricks much easier. This is why modern boards have evolved they way they have. On the other hand, wheelbase is actually the measurement between axles. Indys feel good to me on a 15" wheelbase, but would be excessive with Ventures, which place the axles towards the outer ends of the baseplate.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Ignorance is bliss when it comes to this.
I have yet to enter this wheelbase portal of doom. And I am sure that not one of my friends even knows what wheelbase they're skating or would prefer.
Not that it doesn't matter or isn't important, and I might actually benefit from paying attention to it, but my only questions or concerns when buying a skate are: is it an 8.3-8.5, and is the nose small/big as fuck or weirdly shaped? Prefer flat boards, but my big ass 11.5 feet normally flatten out steep ones anyway.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 05:22:31 PM »
I have yet to enter this wheelbase portal of doom. And I am sure that not one of my friends even knows what wheelbase they're skating or would prefer.
Not that it doesn't matter or isn't important, and I might actually benefit from paying attention to it, but my only questions or concerns when buying a skate are: is it an 8.3-8.5, and is the nose small/big as fuck or weirdly shaped? Prefer flat boards, but my big ass 11.5 feet normally flatten out steep ones anyway.
I'm the same. It was until I really started digging in these slap pages that my mind started racing. I got curious when I noticed how big of a variance existed between brands within the same L x W and the fact that every co. measures differently. I should have stayed off the damn internet.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »

For the most part, people get used to whatever they have and can skate at the same skill level with just about anything. You probably wouldn't even notice the difference unless you went from one extreme to the other.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 07:00:50 PM »
You probably wouldn't even notice the difference unless you went from one extreme to the other.

*raises hand*
I went from a 7.75 with less than 14" w/b to and 8.5 with a whopping 14.75 and it defs fucked with my skating. Back down to 14.375 on Thunders but I still reckon I could go smaller

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year