Author Topic: Do Wall Boards Warp?  (Read 1023 times)

spacial_profiling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -88
Do Wall Boards Warp?
« on: July 23, 2021, 09:15:11 AM »
Is there anything about hanging boards up that would cause them to warp over time (humidity, gravity, etc.) ? Hitz mentions they do, thus why he doesn't hang 'em (9:25). Got me wondering...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:23:21 AM by spacial_profiling »

Crap

• Rep: 77
Re: Do Wall Boards Warp?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 10:43:51 AM »
The string or whatever you use to hang them is pulling on that end of the board. It's not much pressure, but it's uneven and constant, and it's exposed to the changes of temperature/moisture in the air, so the board will warp over time.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 11:12:40 AM »
Any board left out in open air for years is going to warp slightly but it's going to be pretty negligible. Obviously tons of factors effect this... local humidity, exposure to light, etc.

If you're hanging it on your wall then obviously you're not planning on skating it so it shouldn't really be a problem

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 11:28:00 AM »

@ 42:50

Yeah, they will warp in as quickly as a week hanging. Paul Schmitt goes into it on his recent Noine Club Stop and Chat.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 12:43:59 PM »
Yeah they'll warp but I don't understand the logic of not wanting to hang them up for that reason. If you're only ever going to hang them up then what does it matter?

spacial_profiling

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 01:01:26 PM »
If you're hanging it on your wall then obviously you're not planning on skating it so it shouldn't really be a problem

Yeah they'll warp but I don't understand the logic of not wanting to hang them up for that reason. If you're only ever going to hang them up then what does it matter?

True. I honestly never considered not skating what I hang, minus a few one-offs. Case in point, beemer board. Not going to lay in a stack. But not going to not get skated. In its interim life it’s living on the wall, and will return after its skated. Would be bummed though if I went to set it up and it was warped from hanging. If it’s negligible then idgaf.

Love Paul, but not taking warping advice from a dude who puts out way too much warped product. Maybe just don’t hang PS.

I wonder what those 6ft stacks of decks Hitz has does for their mold retention.

And paying $$ for a wall hanger that gets warped past the point of functional utility seems worthless to me.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 01:34:42 PM »
[Nine club clip]

@ 42:50

Yeah, they will warp in as quickly as a week hanging. Paul Schmitt goes into it on his recent Noine Club Stop and Chat.

What Roger is saying makes a lot of sense though. If you have a bunch of boards with different concave, couldn't that pressure on the wrong places fuck it up? It's a lot of weight...

Love Paul, but not taking warping advice from a dude who puts out way too much warped product. Maybe just don’t hang PS.

Haha true, the only board I've had that's been warped to shit while just standing against the wall in my room was a PS. It wasn't a little either.. Ever since then I've been hesitant to get em.

Aye!uhhaha

• Rep: -2
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 03:34:07 PM »
obviously yes, they do.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 04:19:55 AM »
What Roger is saying makes a lot of sense though. If you have a bunch of boards with different concave, couldn't that pressure on the wrong places fuck it up? It's a lot of weight...

It's a good point. I would think weight like that from the top regardless of concave is somewhat even, consistent pressure over the entire board. It might well mellow it out but I can't see bloards twisting in that situation. In all reality boards are likely shipped this way from Mexico/China so they've already spent some time sitting like that.

Stack height is pretty important though, iirc in the Nine Club episode above PS suggested around 10 boards. When Jeron showed him his stacks he said they were too tall.

For me personally I use a few of those cardboard boxes that fit ~5 decks stacked on top of each other laying flat and keep my iced boards in there, 1 box per size. Never had an issue with twisting. I have around 10 boards hanging throughout the house with the shoe string method and they have all warped, some worse than others.

spacial_profiling

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 05:11:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's a good point. I would think weight like that from the top regardless of concave is somewhat even, consistent pressure over the entire board. It might well mellow it out but I can't see bloards twisting in that situation. In all reality boards are likely shipped this way from Mexico/China so they've already spent some time sitting like that.

Stack height is pretty important though, iirc in the Nine Club episode above PS suggested around 10 boards. When Jeron showed him his stacks he said they were too tall.

For me personally I use a few of those cardboard boxes that fit ~5 decks stacked on top of each other laying flat and keep my iced boards in there, 1 box per size. Never had an issue with twisting. I have around 10 boards hanging throughout the house with the shoe string method and they have all warped, some worse than others.

Damn, 10 out of 10. Making me want to take all mine down now.

I keep the board boxes as well, but sort boxes by brand with biggest size on the bottom.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 07:30:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn, 10 out of 10. Making me want to take all mine down now.

I keep the board boxes as well, but sort boxes by brand with biggest size on the bottom.

Scares about hanging now, mine been laying all.over for months now

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 04:14:49 PM »
I just recently moved my spare decks out of my bedroom. It’s where my AC is and it gets hot and humid as fuck in the Delaware Valley in the summer. I also live on the 2nd floor. I figured going from 95 degrees and 90% humidity to 75 air conditioned constantly wasn’t going to be good. Need to get some hard cases for my guitars too, for the same reason.

spacial_profiling

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 06:48:54 PM »
I just recently moved my spare decks out of my bedroom. It’s where my AC is and it gets hot and humid as fuck in the Delaware Valley in the summer. I also live on the 2nd floor. I figured going from 95 degrees and 90% humidity to 75 air conditioned constantly wasn’t going to be good. Need to get some hard cases for my guitars too, for the same reason.

Almost brought up the guitar comparison. Thank you.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 10:23:59 PM »
I have not tried this and it could get expensive real quick but if they are important enough to worry about warping it might be worth it

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Sk8ology_Deck_Display/descpage-S8DKDIS.html

with one at the top and the bottom I would think it would be locked in enough to keep its integrity

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 10:55:21 PM »
I have not tried this and it could get expensive real quick but if they are important enough to worry about warping it might be worth it

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Sk8ology_Deck_Display/descpage-S8DKDIS.html

with one at the top and the bottom I would think it would be locked in enough to keep its integrity

That’s what I use.   I’ve had several up over five years and haven’t noticed any warping to the naked eye.   

spacial_profiling

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 08:56:36 PM »
What about wall boards compared to boards on the wall at the shop? Shouldn’t the same logic apply? Is old stock sus if you're saying they’ll warp? Currently away from home for a few weeks, but my stuff has been up almost a year now, and I’m going to pull down and check everything when I get back. I did notice one WKND was torqued af, but can’t be sure if I should attribute that to construction, wall hanging, or what I feel is a blend of the two.