Author Topic: Rit dye on wheels  (Read 6894 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Rit dye on wheels
« on: June 10, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »
I am in my last week of recovery from a appendix removal plus rainy weather with a lotta time and some new wheels and a pack of dye.  So of course i googled this but got a few different methods most of them involving the rit dye material, wheels and hot water. Any one on here have experience in dying urethane? I have some spitfire f4 99s
A lotta the videos i see online dont go specifically into how long you gotta leave the wheels in the water dye for as well as the temperature.

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Sad Hippo

Re: Rit dye on wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 06:01:42 PM »
I did it a few years ago on some yellowing used spit classics.  It looked shitty and made my stove hood all colorful.  I wouldn't do it again.  I had them at a low simmer for about an hour and it dyed them, but it didn't look great.  Used what was supposed to be a teal and it came out really weird and dark green.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
I tried dying my f4 99as teal too and it also ended up a weird dark green. It also didnt soak all the way through the wheel so after I worn down another mm it was back to the original colour. Not worth unless you pull it off really well, also some wheels like stfs just dont dye well.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »
I tried dying my f4 99as teal too and it also ended up a weird dark green. It also didnt soak all the way through the wheel so after I worn down another mm it was back to the original colour. Not worth unless you pull it off really well, also some wheels like stfs just dont dye well.

Thanks for the feedback regarding your guy's experience. Seems like i read on some longboarding forums  :P that you gotta leave em in for about a hour - how long did you let them soak for?

[

TheLowerBack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 11:23:57 PM »
I do this often and have decent results. It does not die all the way through, but it only really wears at the riding surface. It will also fade a little. Bring to a boil on high and stir in the dye. Turn it down to medium and simmer for an hour or two. Turn off and let soak for a few hours. Rinse. Done. You can also do some swirls with a hot glue gun. The last set I did, I did swirls and then died it aqua-ish. Rinsed in cold water then pealed off the glue. I then glued down swirls and dyed it purple. I'll try and post a pic.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 11:29:27 PM »
Hopefully this works

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 04:21:32 AM »
I'd presume with dying them you'd have to leave em for a while, there's some Navs day in the life video that shows him just leaving them in his garage (presumably) for a while

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 05:20:24 AM »
I am in my last week of recovery from a appendix removal plus rainy weather with a lotta time and some new wheels and a pack of dye.  So of course i googled this but got a few different methods most of them involving the rit dye material, wheels and hot water. Any one on here have experience in dying urethane? I have some spitfire f4 99s
A lotta the videos i see online dont go specifically into how long you gotta leave the wheels in the water dye for as well as the temperature.

Ummm you have kinda hard wheels yeah ? well in alot of those videos they've dyed softer longboard wheels and other softer urethane, it holds the dye longer harder wheels tend to not absorb the dye and if they do it eventualy comes off as the riding surface is worn down, so it is up to you just be warned bud softer wheels hold it down hard wheels don't hold well with dye.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »
yeah ive read that the softer urethane will absorb the dye more. i swear i saw someone on here dye some f4s yellow?

[

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 09:58:45 AM »
I left my f4s in for well over an hour. It soaked in fully but wore off pretty quick. I doubt you'll be able to get that bright yellow effect from dying wheels, it will more than likely just make it look crustier

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »
As some other people have mentioned the softer the urethane the longer the dye will last. I like personally like harder wheels and have let them sit in the mix for several days just to have them get worn down to the original color after 2-3 sessions. That being said it's fun to mess around with if you have some onion looking wheels lying around. I've found the powder mix works better and the liquid mix turns out much darker than you would like. This also works with bushings too. I ride the Bones hards and I just let them sit in the mix for around 5 days and they turn out pretty neat. Art class in 5th grade was always my favorite so this shit is pretty fun for me.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »
So i still havent done it yet but I figured I should hit up Darren Navarrette on instagram - surprisingly he replied fast and said he puts em in room temp water with the dye for 2-3 weeks..

[

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 07:43:57 AM »
left them in for two weeks and this is how they came out, used the royal blue color

[

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »
Nice 50/50 dye, I think I wanna try red....

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 09:17:19 AM »
Nice 50/50 dye, I think I wanna try red....

thanks. thinking of doing the other half orange  - make sure to keep the water level even unless you want kind of a swirl

[

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -69
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 11:34:53 AM »
Just wanted to bump thread but I’ve been doing this a lot lately, currently working on some whole pink wheels.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 10:28:20 PM »
Just wanted to bump thread but I’ve been doing this a lot lately, currently working on some whole pink wheels.

post photos!

[

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 11:06:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ill try I don’t know how to post pics.

post photos!

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 04:07:12 PM »
I used purple Rit, idr exactly how long I let them sit, somewhere between 7-12 days I’d guess.they are sky blue

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:20:01 PM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 05:18:09 PM »
I used purple Rit, idr exactly how long I let them sit, somewhere between 7-12 days I’d guess.they are sky blue

should have let them sit longer that’s the key to it.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 06:02:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The dye had dried out and crystallized, that’s why I removed early but I’m def happy with how they turned out.

Idk maybe it’s supposes to dry and sit like that I just wasn’t aware.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 08:21:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

The dye had dried out and crystallized, that’s why I removed early but I’m def happy with how they turned out.

did you add hot water? That’s kinda the key of doing it. Dye shouldn’t crystallize.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 01:04:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
did you add hot water? That’s kinda the key of doing it. Dye shouldn’t crystallize.

i used room temp water and had em in there for at least 14-15 days and they came out looking real good.  did you leave the whole wheel in there?

[

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 07:58:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

i used room temp water and had em in there for at least 14-15 days and they came out looking real good.  did you leave the whole wheel in there?
I left my wheels in there gonna take them out tomorrow, see how they look, if they need more color then they will sit for another week.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 08:07:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Oh no I didn’t add any water, I didn’t even read the instructions on the bottle now that I think about it lol.
I love these white blue sky wheels tho
I didn’t submerge the whole wheel, I just had it up to around the half way point of the wheel but it was a crappy container so they were not perfectly still and soaking on the same spot at all times.
But it basically became a swirl wheel instead of full half and half which i like even better.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:09:35 AM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 09:04:01 AM »
hey Johnes

did you fully submerge the wheels?

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 09:18:41 AM »
Actually gonna dye some loopholes next, shout out to atlas skate shop for being the real mvps!

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 07:12:28 PM »
Ok update on the pink wheels: they will be in the vat for about 2 weeks tomorrow so I’m going to leave them in for one more week and see, if they don’t have the color I want in them I may just leave them in longer. The 101d spitfires are not absorbing the dye fast enough so it just slightly starting to turn pink. The oj elites 99d are soaking up the dye hard. They are almost the right color.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 06:52:41 AM »
Do the dyed wheels leave colored marks when sliding on a wooden ramp for example?

We don’t have Rit in Finland but I was thinking of trying to dye a set with a dye that I think is similar.

As a teenager I dyed some wheels with a big ass red marker. The wheels took up the color really good but would also leave mad marks when sliding. I remember leaving a massive red streak on the school floor while fucking about with my skateboard in school.  :-X

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »
Do the dyed wheels leave colored marks when sliding on a wooden ramp for example?

We don’t have Rit in Finland but I was thinking of trying to dye a set with a dye that I think is similar.

As a teenager I dyed some wheels with a big ass red marker. The wheels took up the color really good but would also leave mad marks when sliding. I remember leaving a massive red streak on the school floor while fucking about with my skateboard in school.  :-X
not that I’ve noticed once the color is really on there it stays there.