Author Topic: Skaters and their Rapper equivalents by Jenkem  (Read 13954 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Skaters and their Rapper equivalents by Jenkem
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »
Kanye west is talented? Quite the reach.

One of the most talented producers and beatmakers to ever do it. Up there with Dre and Rza. Despite being insane to a level that I can no longer defend.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:49:40 PM by VHS ERA »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
 Gonz is ODB because there’s no father to their style

Really he probably deserves to be one of the 80s innovators who took it to a new level.

Rodney Mullen is Rakim because they break it down scientifically
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:56:14 PM by VHS ERA »

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »
Terrible article. The difference between Gino and Nas is that Nas still raps.

Gino and Lauryn Hill is a better comparison. Everyone loves them, but they've been semi reclusive since 1998.

Sean Pablo and Lil B are similar. At their heights, both are a litmus test to see how young and absurdist a person is. 70% of their hate comes from confused 90s dudes. Their influence on the culture is both underrated and overrated at the same time.
Confused? who you? lil b has/created his own lane and im not even a fan. sean is a just some faggot with all the correct connections who isnt talented one bite.

shark tits

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2018, 07:20:52 PM »
shawn powers is tekashi 69 after he cleans that shit of his face.
samaria brevard used to look like the lady of rage a few yrs ago doing long nollie bs lipslides. she had more ass then too.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »
Steve Rocco- Rick Rubin

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2018, 02:28:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Kanye west is talented? Quite the reach.
[close]

you have to be a real bonehead to not see this dudes talent. its one thing to not like him as a person, but the impact his music and the music he has produced for hip hop is legendary.

Hahaha this is amazing. Legendary! God damn the bar has sunk so fucking low.

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2018, 02:38:55 AM »
Maybe he should dickride skate industry heads and make shitty re edit skate videos like you Manolhoe
That takes real talent

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2018, 03:17:27 AM »
Jesus why straight to personal attacks? Just talking about music and there you go.....I don't like west he's a douchebag and very overrated and i'm not the only one to share that opinion. There's many better producers and mcs than this fucking guy.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2018, 03:56:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Terrible article. The difference between Gino and Nas is that Nas still raps.

Gino and Lauryn Hill is a better comparison. Everyone loves them, but they've been semi reclusive since 1998.

Sean Pablo and Lil B are similar. At their heights, both are a litmus test to see how young and absurdist a person is. 70% of their hate comes from confused 90s dudes. Their influence on the culture is both underrated and overrated at the same time.
[close]
Confused? who you? lil b has/created his own lane and im not even a fan. sean is a just some faggot with all the correct connections who isnt talented one bite.

I like both actually, sometimes I feel SP's coverage is a bit much. I would say that both dudes had/have similar types of haters - older dudes who dont get why a guy like that is even promoted to begin with.

CHOW

• Rep: -6
  • ice like winnipeg
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2018, 05:24:59 AM »
Fred Gall- ODB
I disagree with this one. IMO Fred Gall is Redman and Harold Hunter is ODB.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2018, 06:52:50 AM »
He's an average beat producer

he's well above average, i'd even say he's one of the best ever
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:59:37 AM by roba »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2018, 07:15:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Jesus why straight to personal attacks? Just talking about music and there you go.....I don't like west he's a douchebag and very overrated and i'm not the only one to share that opinion. There's many better producers and mcs than this fucking guy.
[close]

sorry bonehead hurt your feeling. i thought it was alot more lighthearted. i still think your talking out your ass and the ppl that share your opnion are as well and im sure you and like minded individuals that share your opinion think the same about me. we have a difference of opinion. its ok.

idk how bonehead was personal but either way im sorry.

also who are these better producers!?! and yeah i think 22 grammys def puts you in the legendary conversation, you dont get that many grammys as a rapper (yess i know the grammys are shit but 22 of them def speaks volumes my guy), weather you like it or not most of his catalog is considered hip hop classics. idk how old you are but since west's inception he's always been at the fore front. idk if its cause your a jedi minds tricks kinda guy but the rest of the world clearly agrees with me. look i dont think he's a better rapper then nas or jay or idk a plethora of dudes, but to act like he has 0 talent or is just all hype comes off as asinine. i dont like lil wayne, i think other ppl do his job alot better but i can clearly see his impact and his talent, i can see what brings to the table. you dont have to like kanye but your gonna look real foolish acting like he's just some regular  shmegular artist....

I was replying to bawtawd post!!

I don't think grammys are really representative of artistic quality in music. Something annoying also and never really brought up is the actual guys in the music studios behind celebrities like west. They're pretty much doing 80% of the job. Dude rolls in with a sample and actual very very good studio producers and arrangers do the job.

Anybody who knows a little bit about rap history knows that kanye isn't a very good rapper. Sucessful? definitely. But once you're a celebrity and have access to mass media you can pretty much sell any garbage. And get grammys.....Look where we are now with dudes like lil confetti and little yacht being labeled genius.
What do you do to actual musical genius like Coltrane or Mozart when you call dudes like that the same word?
It's fucking sad.

There's a scale when it come to talent and skills in the trade of music, it has nothing to do with being rich or famous.

All this to say that talking about skills, Koston was way more talented in skateboarding than west in rap.

Producers that obliterate Kanye any day:

Dj Premier
    J Dilla
    Large Professor
    Diamond D
    Ayatollah
    The Alchemist
    Pete Rock
    MF DOOM
    DRE
    Rza
    Q-Tip
    Lord Finesse
    Apollo Brown
    4th Disciple
    Prince Paul
    Dan The Automator
    J-zone
    Madlib
    Just Blaze
    Vinyl Reanimators
    JRawls
    9th Wonder
    Hi Tek
    Da Beatminerz
    Marley Marl
    Logic
    No I.D
    Statik Selektah
    Havoc
    Rick Rubin
    Erick Sermon
    Godfather Don
    Dj Babu
    Easy Mo Bee
    Dj Muggs
    De La
    Kankick
    The Neptunes
    Marco Polo

Probably forgetting a lot..

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2018, 07:24:37 AM »
9th wonder lives across the street from a old friend in a normal house, weird. Everythings cool, its hype that causes problems. When the hype eclipses the talent it makes the talent seem less gooder. Music arguers are the worst.

Its all ding ding dong bing bing bong

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2018, 09:05:14 AM »
As I was reading the article, I kept think to myself, “I hope the author of this article raps it up soon.” 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
MF Doom got a great ear for samples but he has used some of the worst drum kits in hip-hop. And like 90% of people you listed dont have Kanyes range or longevity.

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
manolo listens to jedi mind tricks

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »
You listen to Justin Bieber

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2018, 10:24:06 AM »
Lil Debbie=Jimmy Carlin
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Ghost Face Nigga

• Rep: -34
  • Im black
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2018, 10:36:36 AM »
manolo listens to jedi mind tricks

hahaha

MF Doom got a great ear for samples but he has used some of the worst drum kits in hip-hop. And like 90% of people you listed dont have Kanyes range or longevity.

agreed. i like ALOT if not close all of the dudes on his list. but like you said...that range! either way i dont think anyone is gonna convince manolo ye got talent.
Horny 2 Skate

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »
I agree for doom altough it makes his sound unique. Kanye is talented but overrated and a gigantic douchebag.
He also never ever produce anything remotely as groundbreaking and unique as RZA 36chambers.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
I agree for doom altough it makes his sound unique. Kanye is talented but overrated and a gigantic douchebag.
He also never ever produce anything remotely as groundbreaking and unique as RZA 36chambers.

rza would never ever produce anything remotely as groundbreaking and unique as the college dropout

this is such a bad comparison, yeah 36 chambers has great production, it's a groundbreaking album and shit, but it's an album from 1993 and hip-hop was way different then than it was in fucking 2004 and later. also, all in all kanye's a better producer than rza, even though rza is good too (btw one of his best beats (dark fantasy) went to kanye).

THE MCCLUNG BROTHERS = MAC MILLER, POST MALONE, & MACKLEMORE
Who are these people

i think that's the point
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Ghost Face Nigga

• Rep: -34
  • Im black
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2018, 11:29:04 AM »
a gigantic douchebag.

a rapper a douchebag?!?!? well i never!! perish the thought!

Horny 2 Skate

feedmeseymour

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2018, 11:32:01 AM »

rza would never ever produce anything remotely as groundbreaking and unique as the college dropout

this is such a bad comparison, yeah 36 chambers has great production, it's a groundbreaking album and shit, but it's an album from 1993 and hip-hop was way different then than it was in fucking 2004 and later. also, all in all kanye's a better producer than rza, even though rza is good too (btw one of his best beats (dark fantasy) went to kanye).

that made me lol, thanks.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it's the truth though
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

it's the truth though

i would argue that they are more similar than yall are making them out to be. different sounds and a different time for sure but they're similar in their influence - they are both innovators that changed the landscape of hip hop at different times.(rza for the better kanye for the worst? - that would be a more interesting argument atleast) it's just easier and maybe fairer to criticize kanye cause he's a fucking wackjob and came up in the wayne era. i just wanna add that i fucking love a rza beat. they're both top 5 for me. just my 2c
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:31:12 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »
Rza innovated hella shit from 93-97, most notably his liberal use of sampling where he would use inaudible hums and syllables as instruments. Without that there's no Kanye or 9th wonder.  Thing is he fell off hard when hip hop moved into more polished productions and he had inferior beats to other producers on Supreme Clientele and Nigga Please.

Kanye on the other hand has had top notch shit since 2001 only really fucking up when he goes on his super experimental Yeezus shit. That said I would say Kanye still only squeks by the Rza.

For the record, my list of producers who could body Ye is this

Premier
Dre
Timbaland
Madlib
Alchemist
Neptunes
Organized Noise
9th Wonder
Pete Rock
Just Blaze (on a good day)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:43:35 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2018, 04:49:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

sorry bonehead hurt your feeling. i thought it was alot more lighthearted. i still think your talking out your ass and the ppl that share your opnion are as well and im sure you and like minded individuals that share your opinion think the same about me. we have a difference of opinion. its ok.

idk how bonehead was personal but either way im sorry.

also who are these better producers!?! and yeah i think 22 grammys def puts you in the legendary conversation, you dont get that many grammys as a rapper (yess i know the grammys are shit but 22 of them def speaks volumes my guy), weather you like it or not most of his catalog is considered hip hop classics. idk how old you are but since west's inception he's always been at the fore front. idk if its cause your a jedi minds tricks kinda guy but the rest of the world clearly agrees with me. look i dont think he's a better rapper then nas or jay or idk a plethora of dudes, but to act like he has 0 talent or is just all hype comes off as asinine. i dont like lil wayne, i think other ppl do his job alot better but i can clearly see his impact and his talent, i can see what brings to the table. you dont have to like kanye but your gonna look real foolish acting like he's just some regular  shmegular artist....
[close]

I was replying to bawtawd post!!

I don't think grammys are really representative of artistic quality in music. Something annoying also and never really brought up is the actual guys in the music studios behind celebrities like west. They're pretty much doing 80% of the job. Dude rolls in with a sample and actual very very good studio producers and arrangers do the job.

Anybody who knows a little bit about rap history knows that kanye isn't a very good rapper. Sucessful? definitely. But once you're a celebrity and have access to mass media you can pretty much sell any garbage. And get grammys.....Look where we are now with dudes like lil confetti and little yacht being labeled genius.
What do you do to actual musical genius like Coltrane or Mozart when you call dudes like that the same word?
It's fucking sad.

There's a scale when it come to talent and skills in the trade of music, it has nothing to do with being rich or famous.

All this to say that talking about skills, Koston was way more talented in skateboarding than west in rap.

Producers that obliterate Kanye any day:

Dj Premier
    J Dilla
    Large Professor
    Diamond D
    Ayatollah
    The Alchemist
    Pete Rock
    MF DOOM
    DRE
    Rza
    Q-Tip
    Lord Finesse
    Apollo Brown
    4th Disciple
    Prince Paul
    Dan The Automator
    J-zone
    Madlib
    Just Blaze
    Vinyl Reanimators
    JRawls
    9th Wonder
    Hi Tek
    Da Beatminerz
    Marley Marl
    Logic
    No I.D
    Statik Selektah
    Havoc
    Rick Rubin
    Erick Sermon
    Godfather Don
    Dj Babu
    Easy Mo Bee
    Dj Muggs
    De La
    Kankick
    The Neptunes
    Marco Polo

Probably forgetting a lot..

[close]
i missed that post, my fault.

also some of those dudes are def not better then west...rza!? GTFO thats someone whose coasted off hype and association. dj muggz!!!!! fuck no. NO I.D.......yes thats west mentor. i would never said kanye is a great rapper, like its obvi he aint lyrically the best or close. my thing is alot of these dudes arent still the type of artist ye is. i feel like your looking at it very black and white and its alot more then just a sound. i mean that nigga ye clearly has a vision alot more deeper then a good amount of the niggas you listed. alot of those dudes are rt two dimensional. amazing producers but lord finesse aint evolved or stepped out his box in never. its the whole package my guy.

i dont care if you like ye or think other niggas are better, i guess you saying "kanye talented? thats a reach" was out of pocket...

i agree 9th wonder,no id,just blaze, premier, and a few other on that list are "better" producers but i still think kanye AS A WHOLE ENTIRE ARTIST is very very talented.

Jesus Christ now you got me arguing both sides. Rzas run from 93 to at least 2001 was unparalleled, genius, game changing production. All the Wu albums and all the solo albums. Dude was on a tear and is still imitated.

You thought Kanye started the chipmunked soul sample trend? He studied Rza for that.https://youtu.be/1th02cIRkmM

Rza the muthafuckin GOAT. Change your screen name and avi and go listen to Cuban Linx
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:59:15 PM by VHS ERA »

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »
watch these rap niggas get all up in ya guts french vanilla, butter pecan, chocolate deluxe

premo is the goat though
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:59:23 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2018, 05:19:30 PM »
watch these rap niggas get all up in ya guts french vanilla, butter pecan, chocolate deluxe

premo is the goat though

Premo is an acceptable answer too

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2018, 05:32:31 PM »
Kirchart and Klein = MC Miker G and DJ Sven