Author Topic: Being "Vegan" & Skateboarding  (Read 10063 times)

mongopushingmallgraber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
    • Voicemail avatar image
Being "Vegan" & Skateboarding
« on: June 12, 2018, 12:21:18 PM »
Okay, so there prob is already a thread on this but I want to know what your guys thoughts are on this.

It seems like being Vegan is a new big trend in skateboarding but ive always thought that shit is super ironic because all these dudes claiming to be vegan "for the animals" are 9 out of 10 times rocking suede shoes (suede being, "leather with the flesh side rubbed to make a velvety nap") and leather car seats inside their cars.

Also its important that im not talking about someone like Ed Templeton, a dude who has been a true die hard vegan since forever and has always stayed true to that by used vegan materials in his skate shoes.  Im talking about these dudes that turned vegan after seeing one of Alex Olson's instagram posts about animal cruelty and now they think they have the right to stand there in their brand new full suede, Alex Olson colorway, blazer mids, and make me feel like an asshole for eating meat, even though its they just finished their first week being "plant based".

Lemme hear your thoughts!

P.s. I love AO and hes one of my fave sk8rs but he is the first person that comes to mind when I think about this. Attached below are his pro color way "built with textile, leather and suede on the uppers."

Also here is the link to one of his insta posts titled "FUCK FUR!" ya, fuck suede too dude
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZAdtkDllI1/?hl=en&taken-by=olsonstuff

Sincerely,
 Your fellow non vegan <3

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Being "Vegan" & Skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »
I already hate this thread.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:35:14 PM »
Always a fun conversation

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »
Going out with a vegan girl can be a pain in the ass if you're not vegan. 
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:40:47 PM »
Wow.  If you want to be vegan, be vegan.  They're are a lot of people in the middle. 

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
This thread is 100% speculation on what other people's motivations are, so just leave them be.  That being said, McCrank was always pretty up front about saying he chose a vegan diet but doesn't call himself vegan because he knows he doesn't do the whole shoe and lifestyle thing.  Dudes like AO and Aaron Herrington can eat a plant based diet and not have to call themselves VEGAN.  No labels bruh.

bo golden

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 12:49:18 PM »
Vegan bodybuilding is so hot right now.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
Where's VeganxShaun?

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

unholy mackerel

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
vegan pussy tastes better

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 12:53:43 PM »
One post, one fail.

bo golden

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 12:56:09 PM »

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
This thread is 100% speculation on what other people's motivations are, so just leave them be.  That being said,
^^^

When I went vegan I had a backlog of suede shoes from before I was vegan so I skated through those.
Now I just buy used leather/suede which is better for the environment than new vegan ones (and in turn for animals).

who are you talking about OP? I've never met anyone like this

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
Meh being vegan and wearing suede shoes is better than not being vegan and wearing suede shoes. Not everybody has to be a fundamentalist. I for one am a pescatarian who would eat fish more than once or twice week if there wasn't so much fucking mercury in the ocean and try to buy canvas, pleather, etc. but aren't a purist about it.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »

Not sure bout their pussies but safe to say their butt holes do. Much more efficient digestion

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
I can't confirm specifics, but I've spoken with someone more knowledgeable on veganism and he mentioned that a lot of the materials and glues used in vegan shoes are highly toxic to those in production, much more so than ingredients made from horse byproducts. So, there's that.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 01:23:35 PM »
Why do vegans care about shit? Fuckin lame.

pistachio

• Rep: -4
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 01:27:06 PM »
I can't confirm specifics, but I've spoken with someone more knowledgeable on veganism and he mentioned that a lot of the materials and glues used in vegan shoes are highly toxic to those in production, much more so than ingredients made from horse byproducts. So, there's that.

This is pretty much what I was going to add. While it's great not to rely on animals for things like unnecessary food consumption, you gotta realize that a lot of "vegan" options for clothing and/or footwear are horrible for the environment. Take something like polyester or even the rubber sole (which is nearly impossible to avoid), for example, it's created by drilling and processing oil and leaves the consumer with a product that won't really ever biodegrade, where at least the suede will degrade once it eventually hits a landfill.

It's pretty hard to avoid doing something wrong with a lot of these processes, but I certainly don't think that replacing natural products with synthetics is the best answer and a whole lot of people seem to neglect that point.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 01:48:25 PM »
nothing wrong with being vegan unless you're boasting about it to every fucking human you see and guilt tripping everyone for consuming animal products.

You can always say "fuck labels" and just do a vegan diet once a week or 5 times a week. Switch between canvas and suede shoes every other pair. You dont have to label yourself as a vegan. Small steps here and there are what counts.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
A Person Who Eats Meat

by Leonard Cohen

A person who eats meat
wants to get his teeth into something
A person who does not eat meat
wants to get his teeth into something else     
If these thoughts interest you for even a moment
you are lost.

where's Vegan Shawn anyway?

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »
This is true actually.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
I've often thought that I'd be way better at skating if I'd held onto my virginity because all that pent-up anxiety would surely allow me to ollie higher and hippie jump even higher.

soccer mom

• Rep: -17
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »
Most people just do the Vegan diet, as far as people i've come across over the years anyway. I have meet a few who won't use certain types of film that have animal products, or wear cloths from animals, however I think that is a small  group of people who get way into the whole lifestyle beyond food choices. Nothing wrong with just eating that way cause it is healthy, nice to animals or what have you. My two cents..

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 03:59:26 PM »
I have a lot of vegan friends, I'm vegetarian but eat vegan a good amount of the time and I don't think it has to do with skateboarding. Its just a lot easier these days to be vegan and people are more aware of it. I don't only buy vegan shoes though, that would be way to hard, I don't think many vegans I know wear vegan shoes, its more about the vegan diet

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This is true actually.
Who the fuck is doing taste tests? I don’t eat pussy for its flavor profile, as long as its not nasty I don’t give a fuck what it tastes like
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
This is true actually.
[close]
Who the fuck is doing taste tests? I don’t eat pussy for its flavor profile, as long as its not nasty I don’t give a fuck what it tastes like

That Smolik photo would go great here.

cloudy

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
nothing wrong with being vegan unless you're boasting about it to every fucking human you see and guilt tripping everyone for consuming animal products.

You can always say "fuck labels" and just do a vegan diet once a week or 5 times a week. Switch between canvas and suede shoes every other pair. You dont have to label yourself as a vegan. Small steps here and there are what counts.

i think that's a good perspective to have. this video that etnies did with ryan lay profiling his vegan shoe made a big impression on me as far as compromises go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11P3WFeq_c
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:32:51 PM by cloudy »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 04:37:53 PM »
For the OP,
Kids that just turn “vegan” don’t usually suddenly throw out the shoes they already have. It takes a while for a big change like that to filter into all parts of your life.

Having said that, if they are giving you a hard time and still wearing leather, feel free to call out that hypocrisy. I think doing less harm is the way to go, and sometimes at the beginning when you realize how fucked up the regular way of doing things realky is, you want everyone to know, and thats where the crusading attitude comes from.

But like everything at the beginning, people usually suck at it, and they need to refine their approach. So yeah, call these kids out, it helps them learn too.

Now for the leather/synthetic debate.

Leather is pumped full of chemicals to prevent biodegrading as well, and is not really any greener than synthetic is seems. From that standpoint, canvas is probably the best, even if it wears the worst.

It’s about time someone retried the rubber grip tape idea
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:00:01 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 04:57:02 PM »
This thread is 100% speculation on what other people's motivations are, so just leave them be.  That being said, McCrank was always pretty up front about saying he chose a vegan diet but doesn't call himself vegan because he knows he doesn't do the whole shoe and lifestyle thing.  Dudes like AO and Aaron Herrington can eat a plant based diet and not have to call themselves VEGAN.  No labels bruh.

To each their own, but McCrank is the realest. Cool he doesn’t claim edge either.

Are you pals familiar with the singer of H20? Corniest dude alive.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 04:59:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

To each their own, but McCrank is the realest. Cool he doesn’t claim edge either.

Are you pals familiar with the singer of H20? Corniest dude alive.

That’s the Jefferson Brothers buddy
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps