Author Topic: Being "Vegan" & Skateboarding  (Read 10058 times)

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Being "Vegan" & Skateboarding
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
Expand Quote
This thread is 100% speculation on what other people's motivations are, so just leave them be.  That being said, McCrank was always pretty up front about saying he chose a vegan diet but doesn't call himself vegan because he knows he doesn't do the whole shoe and lifestyle thing.  Dudes like AO and Aaron Herrington can eat a plant based diet and not have to call themselves VEGAN.  No labels bruh.
[close]

To each their own, but McCrank is the realest. Cool he doesn’t claim edge either.

Are you pals familiar with the singer of H20? Corniest dude alive.
are you sure you're not confusing him with John Joseph, singer of the CroMags?  that dude definitely posts a ton of corny vegan shit.  I'm vegan and grew up on NYHC and even I can't stand it.  But maybe that Toby guy is on the same tip, I don't know, I haven't kept up with him.

artskool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »
Vegan is a new trend in skateboarding? There were at least two vegan skate shoe companies 25 years ago.

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 05:21:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This thread is 100% speculation on what other people's motivations are, so just leave them be.  That being said, McCrank was always pretty up front about saying he chose a vegan diet but doesn't call himself vegan because he knows he doesn't do the whole shoe and lifestyle thing.  Dudes like AO and Aaron Herrington can eat a plant based diet and not have to call themselves VEGAN.  No labels bruh.
[close]

To each their own, but McCrank is the realest. Cool he doesn’t claim edge either.

[close]

That’s the Jefferson Brothers buddy

Ah yes, one of them knows Kobe.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 06:18:45 PM »
Leather is pumped full of chemicals to prevent biodegrading as well, and is not really any greener than synthetic is seems.

THIS! look up the environmental impact of the leather industry. Honestly, I-path should just hurry up and get back in the game so they can do hemp shoes with rubber toe caps

or...
Vegan is a new trend in skateboarding? There were at least two vegan skate shoe companies 25 years ago.
zero-two needs to make a comeback!
Servant is probably the only contender in the game that is really going out of their way these days but I will give eS and etnies some props too (etnies more so as they used recycled materials etc.). Emerica still throws us some bones but these days we're lucky if it's one shoe per season.

edit #62: (cuz I just had to give my 2 cents right?)
as for the topic at hand, it seems that being/eating healthy is trending in lots of different subcultures at the moment (as someone mentioned, vegan body building is pretty big right now), but I wouldn't be too quick to judge people like AO as he's still in the early stages and isn't really flying the animal rights flag too high right? I though he was just mostly plant-based ala Yaje?

There's tonnes of different ways you can approach the topic too and some might argue, at least for skaters, that one pair of suede shoes has less of an impact on the environment than two pairs of canvas shoes. There's also vegans who buy second hand leather goods too because it lasts a long time and is better than creating demand for new products. Faux leather jackets are a good example of this; those PVC joints only last a year or two at best before peeling while good leather jackets can last 20+ years.

I personally don't rock any real leather but try to buy more environmentally friendly alternatives when it comes to non-skate shoes, wallets, belts, watch straps etc.
Microfibre is a great alternative and ages well too! Got a pair of boots from this guy 6 years ago and they still go hard/ age just like leather: https://www.bravegentleman.com
Recently got a bag from https://tokyobags.co and it gets a tonne of compliments
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:02:47 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »

Sure, except that this thread was started by a meat-eater bellyaching about vegans, which in my experience is way more common than vegans telling me about their shit, and every bit as annoying.

fs overkrook

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 09:58:09 PM »
Being a vegan is like being a skateboarder. Nobody cares.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 10:23:12 PM »

This and being on Nike AO is probably just getting his name slapped on stuff due to contracts
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 10:29:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure, except that this thread was started by a meat-eater bellyaching about vegans, which in my experience is way more common than vegans telling me about their shit, and every bit as annoying.
a-fucking-men
"those pesky vegans talking about veganism in the vegan thread though"

This and being on Nike AO is probably just getting his name slapped on stuff due to contracts
probably, or it could be like when Even Smith repeatedly asked DC not to use animal products in his shoes but they continue to do so because ... well I have no idea why, but they certainly like to rub it in his face
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:37:00 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »
I once told a girl I was casually fucking that I could never date her,because she was vegetarian and I wasn't.Fast forward a decade and I'm vegetarian and married one,ha!

Eating healthy is trending,but it's not a bad thing until there's a pissing contest on who's the best vegan and shit like that.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2018, 10:45:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
are you sure you're not confusing him with John Joseph, singer of the CroMags?  that dude definitely posts a ton of corny vegan shit.  I'm vegan and grew up on NYHC and even I can't stand it.  But maybe that Toby guy is on the same tip, I don't know, I haven't kept up with him.

Nah, not John the nyc tour guide. It’s Toby.

IHOP

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »
Im vegan and I skate suede shoes, and I'm quick to point that out to anyone who asks me about my diet.  I try and skate canvas, which i actually prefer, but as stated above its pretty hard to tear through shoes that aren't harmful in some way.

I think most vegans would agree they do it because it is an easy way to reduce your footprint and impact on other living beings.  I also try and use less plastic, I dont use straws or waterbottles or single use silverware, that doesnt mean I am not incredibly wasteful, but its more about being aware of your everyday impact.

I don't care what other do Im not going to preach, but if im asked I will say my opinions.  I'd say its "trendy" the same way that being sober is trendy, at least its a positive step.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2018, 11:00:10 PM »
calling people out for calling people out....is the new calling people out.....

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 12:31:54 AM »
I eat plant based food 90% of the time, but I sometimes eat cheese if I'm out with my friends because it's quite hard here to find vegan food in restaurants.

I stopped wearing suede a long time ago, and I buy cruelty free products only.
It is for me the easiest things to do for the animals.

But maybe AO dos not want to loose his sponsors ?
If I'm not wrong sometimes I see Herrington wearing those black one star suede slipon too...

I had a proposal from DC a few weeks ago but I refused because the guy didn't want to send me canvas only.
Evan Smith shoes are all suede now, I still can't understand that...

Anyway, you have to choose between killing animals and having shoes for free.
I guess that for some people the money is more important than the convictions...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:33:55 AM by Thomas »
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 12:36:13 AM »
the impact you have in life on your surroundings is never going to be perfect (what even is perfect) and our knowledge on harmfulness of our actions evolves thought time - so you shouldn't be worried about not doing enough, but be happy about caring and doing your best

so if you eat a vegan meal today, that's great ... try doing it more and more often. also consider local ingredients etc. just try and give two thoughts into the life you lead and how it affects the big picture

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 02:08:38 AM »

I think most vegans would agree they do it because it is an easy way to reduce your footprint and impact on other living beings.  I also try and use less plastic, I dont use straws or waterbottles or single use silverware, that doesnt mean I am not incredibly wasteful, but its more about being aware of your everyday impact.

have a gnar! Also going down the zero-waste rabbit hole at the moment and it's quite eye-opening to say the least.
Straws and single use plastic bottles were the first to go for us but recently we've done away with disposable razors too (for the most part). Use lots of eco wraps etc. when we go to the local markets too!
All about striving to survive causing the least amount of suffering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfYM0G1yUZQ

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 04:37:26 AM »
I've often thought that I'd be way better at skating if I'd held onto my virginity because all that pent-up anxiety would surely allow me to ollie higher and hippie jump even higher.

I bet that holding up to your rectums virginity can give you a great amount of anxiety, but I bet you know more about that stuff cos you're the GAY afterall
Just shred some serious gnar.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 04:52:14 AM »
 I am not vegan, but I usually think it would be more ethical to be vegan. I try to buy organic meat or meat from hunters. i just really like to eat meat every once in a while.

I have question to you vegans: They are currently working on growing real meat in labs. So you would have the meat without an animal suffering. Would you eat that?

feedmeseymour

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 05:27:00 AM »
this

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 05:36:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this

maybe they should compete on veganism in the olympics next time
Just shred some serious gnar.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 05:37:40 AM »
the skater i know that label themselves as vegan, only skate canvas shoes soooo yeah.

calvinsdream

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2018, 05:55:18 AM »

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 06:03:57 AM »
i think a lot of people have some sort of inferiority complex when they come across someone that is vegan, it's like they're pissed that this person has the will power to make this life choice. you can split hairs all fucking day on dumb shit like you can't be vegan if you have a car because there are animal byproducts in the tires etc...just let people live

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 07:07:07 AM »
I am not vegan, but I usually think it would be more ethical to be vegan. I try to buy organic meat or meat from hunters. i just really like to eat meat every once in a while.

I have question to you vegans: They are currently working on growing real meat in labs. So you would have the meat without an animal suffering. Would you eat that?

No, because when you're vegan you basically change all your alimentation and you don't need meat anymore.
So I guess it's just about taste, and seitan burgers taste way better than meat burgers.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Not Local

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »
The all or nothing mentality is not always useful. Do what you can and whats right for you and your body. I called myself Vegan for about 12 years or so but realized I need animal products every once in awhile. Maybe committing to the label helps some people but maybe they could drive their car less or help their elderly neighbor out more or not pay taxes that fund nukes... there's alway something...

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No, because when you're vegan you basically change all your alimentation and you don't need meat anymore.
So I guess it's just about taste, and seitan burgers taste way better than meat burgers.

I've been vegan for six years... Impossible burgers, beyond burgers and beyond sausage all taste better to me than meat ever did... Again I haven't eaten it in eight years so I guess that isn't a total fair opinion (vegetarian two years before vegan) but have you had those impossible sliders from white castle??? Holy shit they are good... PS I'm currently skating the vegan Emerica indicators ... They feel good but rip on the sides pretty quick, toe cap has held up tho.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2018, 11:32:37 AM »
When I stopped being vegan it was like leaving a cult.

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »
I cut beef, pork and chicken out of my diet a couple years ago. I still mess with seafood a few times a week. Basically I stay on my deen. It's funny how after a short amount of time your brain reprograms itself and when you see cooked meat your brain doesn't tell you "yo that is food".

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2018, 02:28:25 PM »
Make veganism lame again
9/11 was a national tragedy

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
nothing wrong with being vegan unless you're boasting about it to every fucking human you see and guilt tripping everyone for consuming animal products.

You can always say "fuck labels" and just do a vegan diet once a week or 5 times a week. Switch between canvas and suede shoes every other pair. You dont have to label yourself as a vegan. Small steps here and there are what counts.

For real. If it weren't for the fact that I hate skating canvas shoes and I hate the feel of synthetics, I'd go that way. A dude I skated with turned vegan and is preaching on Instagram every day about veganism and anti animal products.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can someone make this into a t-shirt?