Author Topic: Lets finally address the elephant in the room  (Read 42783 times)

seriouslystopthis

Lets finally address the elephant in the room
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:40:06 PM »
Throwaway account via VPN.  Because the SJW fuckers will not like this.

Heroin.

We recently lost a brother this week. He had a wife and family. So fucked up. We had no fucking idea he was shooting up.  Some of us did, and they didn't address the fact.

Listen, it's been a long ride.  When you rule at everything and your body hurts from skateboarding, dont fuck it up inside.  Hard drugs and the needle is a joke.  Dont ever for a minute let anyone ... ANYONE  tell you it's cool.  You are looking for the next rush and this rush is a dead end.

Stop it.  Talk about it.  The skateboard community turns a blind eye to this and it needs to stop.

pabloalvarado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
Re: Lets finally address the elephant in the room
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:07:31 AM »
Bummer, this isnt a thread about Tracer.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 12:23:41 AM »
no one here will ever defend the use of heroin. It just seems in bad taste to blame the user after he overdoses. The death itself speaks volume and those who do not hear the message need support and understanding and not hate

bo bice

• Rep: 76
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:30:01 AM »
Lol SJWs??  You’re really trying to making heroin a political issue huh. Sorry about your friend truly, I’ve lost a few to it myself, but how bout make this a separate conversation then the one about why you’re an incel..

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 03:05:48 AM »
you could, retroactively, turn this thread into a place for hope rather than blame or anger (although I certainly wouldn't judge the violent, unpredictable, emotional arena of unexpectedly losing someone to drugs). a lot of Slap Pals have trudged the dark road of addiction and recovered one way or another. what works for one person might not work for someone else, but I was a long term painkiller addict and developed into a full blown junkie/alcoholic and got help. what worked for me was detox, outpatient, therapy, psychiatry, meds, and a program, but that's not for everybody. most days I commute on a packed, dysfunctional train fighting for space and this really helps me get my head right. xo. :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=955mKxyBnnE
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:08:38 AM by funeral_tuxedo »

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:42:01 AM »
virginity can be such a scourge

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 04:49:15 AM »
Never got into Heroin but for a minute when I was about 12 or so I was smoking Oxy's. I took a long hard look in the mirror one day and kicked opiates while I was able too. Got a bunch of close family/friends who can't live or function without a fix. It hurts my heart every time I hear a old friend got locked up/killed/od'd on that shit. I can't even pretend to know what its like to kick that type of addiction. I know there are some people on here who have dealt with it and I can only give props to those who have stayed off. Every fucking day is a battle. Big love to all the pals out there struggling or trying to stay clean. I wish the best for you. Opiates arent a joking matter.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:24:49 AM »
I bought this deck and skated it for like 15 minutes before I realized that I loved it too much to skate. 
He HAS such a cool, unique style.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:38:12 AM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 05:57:34 AM »
are you referring to Mark Hubbard?

shark tits

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 06:00:26 AM »
heroin has killed a lot of my friends.
but it has also killed a lot of people i hate.
heroin is neutral. i used to laugh at rednecks i did day labor w/ 'i use meth as a tool' but if you've got the right way about you, heroin is medicine. most people w/ the risk taking to try it aren't built w/ the willpower to use it correctly.
everyone has to find despair on their own.

[i had a fat girlfriend mention the elephant in the room to me once and i was like 'damn baby, why the harsh self image?']

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 06:26:21 AM »
actually the republicans use the elephant as their logo so you might be addressing the alt righter in the room.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 06:38:04 AM »
Well, in my opinion, we focus a whole lot on what to do with people when they are already addicted. Harm reduction and rehabs are great, sadly, people will OD with clean needles too and about 5% or so will make it after a rehab.

The problem is that many people turn to drugs to begin with. If mental issues, especially amongst teens, were dealt with as soon as possible, I suspect that very few would be in this sad state.

Then again, my proposition is way to hard/expensive to implement and I, once again, don't have any solutions.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 06:45:05 AM »
I bought this deck and skated it for like 15 minutes before I realized that I loved it too much to skate. 
He had such a cool, unique style.

this post fucked me up for a second .. delete it
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 07:00:52 AM »
I'll play with needles all day but not with opiates in em. Follow this rule and you will fuck up your life, but not die. You wanna play dumb ya gotta be smart. You could still die but its done me solid.

And drugs are cool, too cool, they are cooler than you, that's the problem.

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 07:36:02 AM »
I like how you think you need to make a secure burner account because SJWs will come after you for discouraging heroin use.  Your concerns about libtards lead me to believe you’re one of those swastika apologists who’ve popped up over the last few weeks, but yeah... don’t do heroin. 

Also, if you do heroin and stop for a while, don’t do the same amount you were doing before.  That’s how my friends have gone.

Mongoloid

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 08:10:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So I’m not the only one that thought Daniel Shimizu died after reading this post?

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 08:15:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So I’m not the only one that thought Daniel Shimizu died after reading this post?

I just googled 'daniel shimizu death' only to get this google hit that conviently cut out some parts of the article (on jenkem) and caused the 2nd skipped heartbeat (the post above being the 1st)

AN ODE TO DANIEL SHIMIZU · January 25 ... Seems the only “respectable” way out of skating is death. ... Daniel Shimizu is now one of them.

Not Local

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 08:32:02 AM »

I think he is. And from what I've heard the skate community that knew Hubbard is not that willing to speak about the cause of his death publicly. That's where the discussion could be. Suicide or drug OD, often we feel the need to quieten those causes down a bit... Why is that?

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I just googled 'daniel shimizu death' only to get this google hit that conviently cut out some parts of the article (on jenkem) and caused the 2nd skipped heartbeat (the post above being the 1st)

AN ODE TO DANIEL SHIMIZU · January 25 ... Seems the only “respectable” way out of skating is death. ... Daniel Shimizu is now one of them.

Haha, it does kind of sound like I’m saying that he died, sorry.  That would be awful.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think he is. And from what I've heard the skate community that knew Hubbard is not that willing to speak about the cause of his death publicly. That's where the discussion could be. Suicide or drug OD, often we feel the need to quieten those causes down a bit... Why is that?

I think this is a really valid point. Opiates eat anybody up, regardless of gender, race, class, what have you. It's another great equalizer. In the midst of a nationwide health crisis that is at least attributable to yet more corporate greed gone wild staying silent about addiction further stigmatizes it and just fuels the problem. Still, I respect the family's wish for privacy, especially right now. I just hope there can be a real conversation about this some time in the future.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 08:54:46 AM »
What’s SJW’s?  ???

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal

feedmeseymour

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »
dated a recovering heroin addict for a while, knew her since i was a kid. that shit is awful, hard to break, and leads to other shit too. now shes hooked on xanax and will seize out when she goes through withdrawl. shes a piece of shit already, and adding dope and whatever else only makes a person worse.

just smoke weed like normal people.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
What’s SJW’s?  ???

That super-group Sistas With Voices, I think.

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »
I wonder if the 'sobriety narrative' that is being told again and again with all these skate interview podcasts might oddly be romanticizing drug and alcohol abuse. I'm talking about the classic story of a pro skater who is out of control with substance abuse who gets his act together, and how happy he is to be sober and healthy now.

Reynolds, Wenning, Greco, Ellington, Goatmouf, Boulala, Spanky, Lizard King, Neen (basically the whole OG Piss Drunx except Dollin) plus so many others... I'm glad they got their lives together, but these heartwarming tales of overcoming addiction are all have a prerequisite of getting fucked up in the first place.

Nobody gives you props for not getting hooked on drugs in the first place, which I get cause avoiding drugs entirely doesn't make for a compelling narrative. But I can see kids hearing Grosso's Nine Club and not being turned off from drugs.

The sobriety narrative is appealing... have a great time on drugs or drinking, have a brief dark spell, and then be a hero with interesting stories to tell by making a sober comeback.

Seriously, only the tales of friends dying from overdose, or the reality of what Boulala (and now Corey Kennedy) will be going through for the rest of their lives as the result of their intoxication, are actual deterrents. If Hubbard died from heroin, as embarrassing as that is, it should be known if just to let young skaters know that not all skate addicts make comebacks.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 09:33:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think this is a really valid point. Opiates eat anybody up, regardless of gender, race, class, what have you. It's another great equalizer. In the midst of a nationwide health crisis that is at least attributable to yet more corporate greed gone wild staying silent about addiction further stigmatizes it and just fuels the problem. Still, I respect the family's wish for privacy, especially right now. I just hope there can be a real conversation about this some time in the future.

Maybe because he had 3 kids, the impact there needs to be considered.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »
Nobody gives you props for not getting hooked on drugs in the first place, which I get cause avoiding drugs entirely doesn't make for a compelling narrative. But I can see kids hearing Grosso's Nine Club and not being turned off from drugs.

The sobriety narrative is appealing... have a great time on drugs or drinking, have a brief dark spell, and then be a hero with interesting stories to tell by making a comeback

That’s a pretty interesting take on the subject, and I think you have a good point.  I remember watching Brandon Westgate’s epicly latrd and them talking about how he’s just this well-adjusted, responsible young guy that is interested in home improvement projects.  I remember thinking how cool it was that he didn’t give a fuck what people thought of him and didn’t try to pretend he was something he wasn’t. 

If I were 15 years old, I know for a fact that I wouldn’t find any of that to be appealing.  It’s a shame that it’s often the super self-obsessed people (Jim Greco being a great example) get much more publicity than guys like Brandon Westgate or Jeremy Wray. 

I remember that slow mo intro of Jim Greco in Baker2g (99% sure it was that one) where he looks like he’s some sort of reanimated corpse in a leather jacket... it always made me feel dirty and gross.  Years later he put out that awful film analyzing himself and philosophizing about how wise and sober he had become.  Unbearable.

shark tits

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
when i was a kid one of my favorite books was 'a hero ain't nothin but a sandwich' and in it there's a line about not wanting to glamorize recovery since it could make kids to think 'horse was something to pick up in order to bravely kick'.

that book made me wanna be a black junkie in 70s harlem so bad!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:11:44 AM by I sniff my own butthole all the time »

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
Deathwish summer tour video probably killed hundreds of kids lol

Man a lot of kids I knew in school are dead. But people keep picking up the habit. If your gonna go off the deep end mine as well do some weird ass dog drugs to differentiate your death from being just another heroin casualty.

I dunno, I get heroin, its ok, not the greatest. But ill be damned if that shits gonna take me out like everyone else. Fuck that bullshit.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 10:25:26 AM »
Way to take the courageous position that heroin is bad! Those sjw’s with their social service degrees and jobs working at homeless shelters and rehabs definitely are pro-heroin and would come at you for daring to insult it!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out