Author Topic: Lets finally address the elephant in the room  (Read 42782 times)

DCLOVE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
Re: Lets finally address the elephant in the room
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
Why would SJW’s not like someone advocating against heroin use? Like who the fuck advocates that shit? You’re dumb. Also if you’re cool with using heroin in the first place you’re already a lost cause in my book. Junkies will come and they will go and unfortunately nothing I say will stop that cycle . It’s up to the addict to want help, not us trying to change them, they’ll feel attacked and dive deeper.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
How can I actually help someone close to me who is struggling with opiates? Rehab, giving them money, a place to stay, a job has failed and/or all backfired.

I'm sure there's tons of info on the web, but I'm interested in SLAP's thoughts and experiences.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »
I was think about Anthony Bourdain who had to struggle day-in and day-out getting paid a lot of money to travel around the world and eat.  It’s kind of a miracle he held out for as long as he did.

It’s the kind of struggle you really can’t appreciate until you’ve lived through it, I’m told.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
How can I actually help someone close to me who is struggling with opiates? Rehab, giving them money, a place to stay, a job has failed and/or all backfired.

I'm sure there's tons of info on the web, but I'm interested in SLAP's thoughts and experiences.
Last thing you wanna do is give a junkie money
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Not Local

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »

There's no universal answer to this. I've lost a brother and got several other family members still in opiate addiction. Being supportive and non-judgmental when they need it but also holding firm boundaries and not enabling... its not easy.

Get the strap

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 11:55:15 AM »
I wonder if the 'sobriety narrative' that is being told again and again with all these skate interview podcasts might oddly be romanticizing drug and alcohol abuse. I'm talking about the classic story of a pro skater who is out of control with substance abuse who gets his act together, and how happy he is to be sober and healthy now.

Reynolds, Wenning, Greco, Ellington, Goatmouf, Boulala, Spanky, Lizard King, Neen (basically the whole OG Piss Drunx except Dollin) plus so many others... I'm glad they got their lives together, but these heartwarming tales of overcoming addiction are all have a prerequisite of getting fucked up in the first place.

Nobody gives you props for not getting hooked on drugs in the first place, which I get cause avoiding drugs entirely doesn't make for a compelling narrative. But I can see kids hearing Grosso's Nine Club and not being turned off from drugs.

The sobriety narrative is appealing... have a great time on drugs or drinking, have a brief dark spell, and then be a hero with interesting stories to tell by making a sober comeback.

Seriously, only the tales of friends dying from overdose, or the reality of what Boulala (and now Corey Kennedy) will be going through for the rest of their lives as the result of their intoxication, are actual deterrents. If Hubbard died from heroin, as embarrassing as that is, it should be known if just to let young skaters know that not all skate addicts make comebacks.

Glad you pointed out the sobriety narrative is appealing because I believe that is the main reason why it's told. They're advertising the brand and the skater while telling "the story". I don't think the sobriety interviews are influencing new drug and alcohol abusers. I think it's still traditional factors that trigger abuse, income, relationships, politics, etc. However the whole turn up get dumb culture definitely influences heavy drug and alcohol abuse, no question.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
The sobriety narrative 100% helped me get of drugs. Addiction is different for different people. Unfortunately, that's what makes it such a complicated issue.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
The sobriety narrative 100% helped me get of drugs. Addiction is different for different people. Unfortunately, that's what makes it such a complicated issue.

For sure. I remember watching Greco's EL junked out, thinking "Some day I'll get off this shit, too." Took some years.

darkthrone

• Rep: 154
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 12:50:54 PM »
Shimizu is alive and well, saw him last night.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 01:03:34 PM »
Do you think liberals are pro-heroin or something? F anything that seems like some libertarian right leaning shit

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »
Also anyone who seriously uses the term SJW is a giant man-baby

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 01:47:04 PM »

There is no one long term solution, they need to hit rock bottom and want it for themselves.  But, in the short term have him/her carry around an EpiPen or two and make sure when using his friends also know how to use it.

A friend of mine overdosed and was kicked out of the apartment by his "friends" to lay there to die in the stairwell instead of calling for help or being able/willing to help.

Check the laws in your state as many have laws where you will not get into trouble if you are trying to help in the case of an overdose most people freak out and do nothing.

If they can afford inpatient care/rehab and they consent then that is probably the best bet and first step to recovery.

Ultimately, they need to deal with the source of the underlying pain they are trying to numb.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:57:17 PM by sluggers »

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »
There is no one long term solution, they need to hit rock bottom and want it for themselves.  But, in the short term have him carry around an EpiPen or two and make sure when using his friends also know how to use it.
Shouldn't that be Narcan?

shark tits

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »
narcan reverses overdoses, not an epipen. that's for anaphalatic shock.

friend of mine had narcan in the car but the cops wouldn't let him save his girl, just had to watch her die waiting for 'professionals' to give her narcan.

*in a pinch, uppers can reverse an OD, i usedta tell my friends 'put some crakc in my arm if i go out, i don't wanna go ER'
** do as i say not as i did

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »
Expand Quote
There is no one long term solution, they need to hit rock bottom and want it for themselves.  But, in the short term have him carry around an EpiPen or two and make sure when using his friends also know how to use it.
[close]
Shouldn't that be Narcan?

Well, there is the EpiPen known as Evzio which is an auto-injector, the name epipen is just the mechanism. Narcan is the nasal spray. So, yes, that is of use too. But, it is complicated.

http://nhpr.org/post/granite-geek-narcan-not-exactly-epipen-heroin#stream/0
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:15:49 PM by sluggers »

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 02:23:37 PM »
I know of at least 2 board members that used to shoot up together but have since put the needle down for good...

P.S. I'm one of them...
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

Number

• Rep: 16
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 02:29:34 PM »

Kratom helped me kick my heroin habit. That and a positive group of friends and fam to encourage getting clean. Everyone is different. Some dont want to quit.

shark tits

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
I know of at least 2 board members that used to shoot up together but have since put the needle down for good...

P.S. I'm one of them...
the other one wanted to holler at you last wk to skate providence but ain't got a phone and we were already enroute.
i hate to glamourize drug abuse but one time jim and dan came to my town and i showed him this wicked crummy bank to wall that we could only bs wallride and he kickflip wallrid it.
it's like our local tom penny story or some shit.
glad we're both doing well.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 03:02:51 PM »

P.S. I'm one of them...

Wait, you did drugs? I didn't know that since you never mention it, ever...

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
are you referring to Mark Hubbard?
[close]

I think he is. And from what I've heard the skate community that knew Hubbard is not that willing to speak about the cause of his death publicly. That's where the discussion could be. Suicide or drug OD, often we feel the need to quieten those causes down a bit... Why is that?
[close]

I think this is a really valid point. Opiates eat anybody up, regardless of gender, race, class, what have you. It's another great equalizer. In the midst of a nationwide health crisis that is at least attributable to yet more corporate greed gone wild staying silent about addiction further stigmatizes it and just fuels the problem. Still, I respect the family's wish for privacy, especially right now. I just hope there can be a real conversation about this some time in the future.

“We want to just talk about what’s rad about skating and not all that negative crap”

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
I was think about Anthony Bourdain who had to struggle day-in and day-out getting paid a lot of money to travel around the world and eat.  It’s kind of a miracle he held out for as long as he did.

It’s the kind of struggle you really can’t appreciate until you’ve lived through it, I’m told.

This is true. Its a sad, scary lonely place. Looking back on my drug use its a fucking miracle I'm still alive. I was at my breaking point and wanted nothing more than to get off opiates. I finally reached out for help and was able to kick the habit. It's been about two years now, but I still get the urge to get fucking laced.

For me, it was all about escaping the pain. It was good for about a month and then I was waking up dope sick every morning and it turned into a constant quest to feel normal/get my drugs. Drug use will fuck someone up, but the roller coaster of trying to get well all the time is what destroyed a large part of my life.  It turned me into the person I never wanted to be. The guilt I was carrying around was overwhelming.

Seriously, don't play around in that paint for long. Look around you right now and imagine all that shit being gone, because it will be. It's fucked up and sad and the government idiots dont have a clue about addiction. The people making the rules don'r even know how to crush up a fucking oxy. It's an individual journey that an addict must be willing to take if they want to survive.

Not trying to stir any shit up -- just my point of view.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »
Expand Quote

P.S. I'm one of them...
[close]

Wait, you did drugs? I didn't know that since you never mention it, ever...

Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 04:11:19 PM »
if you live in this country and you haven't been affected by opiates in some way (either yourself or via someone close to you) you're very very fortunate

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 04:36:23 PM »
Also anyone who seriously uses the term SJW is a giant man-baby

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2018, 05:22:55 PM »
“SJWs” want criminal justice reform and treatment for addiction not prison, since you had to make this political

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »
If we're having this conversation, we can't forget about the industry brushing the cause of Van Wastell's suicide under the rug, claiming he was blackout drunk when he really fiending for his heroin stash his teammates took from him in an effort to force him to go cold turkey. The whole "only talking about whats rad about skateboarding" instead of addressing issues that need to be dealt with only feeds into the circlejerk of the skateboarding culture and makes us all look like fucking jocks. Skateboarding is the sickest when you can actually help your friends who do it instead of avoiding an "awkward conversation."
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

Not Local

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »

friend of mine had narcan in the car but the cops wouldn't let him save his girl, just had to watch her die waiting for 'professionals' to give her narcan.

*in a pinch, uppers can reverse an OD, i usedta tell my friends 'put some crakc in my arm if i go out, i don't wanna go ER'

That's insane. What state was that? A lot of cops carry Narcon/ Naloxone. Its super easy to administer, especially the nasal spray and you really can't do anyone harm by giving it to them.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2018, 06:14:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's insane. What state was that? A lot of cops carry Narcon/ Naloxone. Its super easy to administer, especially the nasal spray and you really can't do anyone harm by giving it to them.

This is probably before heroin was being cut with fentanyl which is what is causing all of these immediate overdoses. That shit has reframed the conversation everywhere. Fentanyl is literally measured in granules and it is absolutely not what you want in anyone's junk.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

shark tits

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2018, 06:27:28 PM »
it was in south carolina and fentanyl is old news. prolly started hearing about fentanyl dope batches in mid 2000s in nj or philly then it'd pop up somewhere else.
i od'd on fentanyl dope w/ rusty in 2013, maybe 2014.
homegirl prolly died in late 2014 or early 2015.
just cause where you live is a certain way, it's a big country and other areas are ahead/behind/separate but equal.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »
I don’t think it’s necessarily as much of a thing about skateboarders as I do think it’s about societal stigmas. There’s a stigma against drugs, but there’s also a stigma to reaching out for help. Those of us who don’t understand the mind of an addict are lucky. It’s by no means a black and white issue.

Be kind. If you know somebody struggling, support them in taking positive steps for themselves. Express concern, not shame.