Author Topic: "evolution of the spot" article by TOA  (Read 2183 times)

Powdered Toast Man!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
"evolution of the spot" article by TOA
« on: June 13, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »
pretty neat article from a couple days ago, goes how skate spots changed from the 70's banked schoolyards to present day pansexuality for spots.
Mostly agree and informative to any ignorant ass like myself.
Somebody (j lannon) commented Jason Adams' slappy/ wallie/ jersey barrier etc approach in label kills should've been brought up, which i also oversaw.
satisfied? did they miss anything? let them know!

http://www.theoriesofatlantis.com/features/2018/5/16/the-history-of-the-spot

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
Re: "evolution of the spot" article by TOA
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
I liked it. Post 2005 , I haven't kept up as much with what's cool so once he started talking about the UK I was lost. Any time Oyola is talked about is good though

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
Gotta love that shot to Borra in the midd 2000s jajaja

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 02:40:32 PM »
Good overview.
Absence of kenny reed is a big oversight though, as he was crucial to identifying the world itself as a spot. He was the first and best known international spothunter pretty much, and now companies big and small go on filming trips to exotic locales.
Maybe that's why it's easy to overlook his pioneer status, because it's become so common that it's hard to remember how uncommon it once was.

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 06:08:53 PM »
Pretty cool read.

If the early 90s was "anything goes" in regards to trick selection, the mid-to-late 2010s could be "anything goes" in regards to spot selection.

I liked that observation particularly
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 07:23:09 AM »

Expand Quote
If the early 90s was "anything goes" in regards to trick selection, the mid-to-late 2010s could be "anything goes" in regards to spot selection.
[close]

I liked that observation particularly

Except that it's not really accurate. 1993 is "early '90s". Virtual Reality and Goldfish both came out in '93. Shit was codified as fuck back then. There pretty much aren't any ollie impossibles, pressure flips, wallrides, wallies, slappies, late shuv-its, 360 shuv-its, or street grabs in either of those videos. All of those things were considered old-school, and therefore wack, at the time. The jumpramp early-grab stuff in Goldfish, as sick as it is, is meant as a joke. So is the wallride Rickk bails at the end of his part. The rules about what constitutes good skating are so much more open now than they were back then. Anything done well gets props.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
Good overview.
Absence of kenny reed is a big oversight though, as he was crucial to identifying the world itself as a spot. He was the first and best known international spothunter pretty much, and now companies big and small go on filming trips to exotic locales.
Maybe that's why it's easy to overlook his pioneer status, because it's become so common that it's hard to remember how uncommon it once was.
So true. I remember 90s and even early 2000s articles where they talked about Western Europe as being an exotic location for a skate trip. Now you need to go to islands in the middle of the Atlantic to do something of the beaten path.

Edit: I am referencing Medium Skate Mag's trip to Soa Miguel if any of you missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VeReRw-HzU

Soa Miguel is in the Azores - look at how remote that is! Not your normal skate destination.

Edit 2: let me also say that I don’t think this was necessarily an oversight though. He hit a lot of key points. Would have been impossible to cover everything.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:57:24 AM by happenstance »

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Good overview.
[close]
So true. I remember 90s and even early 2000s articles where they talked about Western Europe as being an exotic location for a skate trip. Now you need to go to islands in the middle of the Atlantic to do something of the beaten path.

Edit: I am referencing Medium Skate Mag's trip to Soa Miguel if any of you missed it.

Soa Miguel is in the Azores - look at how remote that is! Not your normal skate destination.

Edit 2: let me also say that I don’t think this was necessarily an oversight though. He hit a lot of key points. Would have been impossible to cover everything.
Woah that edit was really sick. I was just in Iceland recently and it reminded me a lot of Reykjavik.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »
Yeah happenstance, oversight sounds unnecessarily critical and a bit dickish. Medium is doing some interesting stuff, that vid included.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 447
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
Great article!

I'm just gonna repost my comment here cuz I'm desperate to be heard like that:

As others have mentioned, ditches are a major factor is the history of spots. The are the skateparks of the streets, and Rowley talks about his nearly exclusive use of ditch footage these days as a antidote to the frustration of getting kicked out of street spots.
I would also somehow tie on the Bowl Fantasies of the Pacific Northwest skatepark builders of the early 2000s and how the children of those parks are upping the anti on what is possible in a pool or bowl. Kowalski and his natural full pipe loops are a good example of this.
And I'm surprised there is no mention of the invention of skatestoppers in the late 90s.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good overview.
[close]

[close]
Woah that edit was really sick. I was just in Iceland recently and it reminded me a lot of Reykjavik.

There are so many potential spots in Iceland, it's nuts. When I was there last, I couldn't stay focused on work, I kept getting distracted them.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:50:19 PM »
botefdunn, you are forgiven for your transgressions :)

And I'm surprised there is no mention of the invention of skatestoppers in the late 90s.
Actually, this is an interesting comment. Knobbed ledge spots I think played a part in people moving to more unique spots, etc..

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 06:05:34 PM »
Theories tries too hard these days. It was better before Josh had a financial stake in skateboarding. Shit was elusive, any content they posted was worth something real. Now, they're a hip, poor man's Jenkem. Some cool shirts, though.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.