Author Topic: Is "selling out" even a thing anymore?  (Read 2324 times)

I-HATE-YOU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
Is "selling out" even a thing anymore?
« on: June 15, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
With the rise of major corporations investing into skateboarding, can you even be considered a sellout if you are sponsored by them?

Becoming a paid professional now means that skateboarding is your job. If you where promoted or offered a raise at your job, would you deny it?

Yes, its ridicules how many people wear nike uniforms now, but would you so no if offered to you?

Its easy to be a hater when you can direct it at other people.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

shit_for_brains

Re: Is "selling out" even a thing anymore?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 10:16:56 AM »
People should stop worrying about the 23 year olds trying to make money at the only thing they know how to do in the short window they have to do it in, and start worrying about the 45 year old having a meeting about maximizing profits and raising prices across the industry. Worry about the guys restarting iPath and the firms who will no doubt make offers no one could resist on a large distributor that a lot of us consider the safekeepers of skateboarding. Stevie Kickflip has to live. The Heath Brinkleys and Ryan Clements' are the ones to watch.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 10:19:00 AM »
You are a sell out if you are employed by a company where you dont like the products or philosophy they create. that could happen being a sponsored athlete or being a secretary at desk. If you work for people you dont like to get a paycheck then you are a sell out. most people work for someone else, hate them, and sell a bit of their sole every time they show up for work. the question is, whats your price?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 10:32:28 AM »
it’s still a thing but it’s not a thing that most people care about anymore.

I-HATE-YOU

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
You are a sell out if you are employed by a company where you dont like the products or philosophy they create. that could happen being a sponsored athlete or being a secretary at desk. If you work for people you dont like to get a paycheck then you are a sell out. most people work for someone else, hate them, and sell a bit of their sole every time they show up for work. the question is, whats your price?

That is an agreeable statement, to an extent.

But does that not mean you are assuming these guys do not like the company or people paying them?

I would say conservatively 50% of people hate their job, but you need one to survive and provide for yourself/family. Based off your logic, the man/woman working a job they hate to feed their family are sellouts.

I-HATE-YOU

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »

I would say that is a true statement. Now that Nike, Adidas and other corporations have a firm grip on the industry, less people speak out against them. I am willing to bet its for financial and possible retribution reasons though, not because they do not care.

The contracts involved with these big corporations can bankrupt you or a shop. To sell nike in small shops come with stipulations...Like you have to sell certain models they are pushing, or they are not allowed to have certain competing shoe brands.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That is an agreeable statement, to an extent.

But does that not mean you are assuming these guys do not like the company or people paying them?

I would say conservatively 50% of people hate their job, but you need one to survive and provide for yourself/family. Based off your logic, the man/woman working a job they hate to feed their family are sellouts.
that is exactly what im saying. Many people sellout to feed their family. theres nothing wrong with it. capitalism has its pitfalls. given the resources to work for themselves many would choose that instead of working for someone else. there are plenty of people who like their jobs too. But some people accept shit pay and being poor to do a job they love, like being a teacher, or a weed trimmer, or a pro skater. we all make choices.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
People should stop worrying about the 23 year olds trying to make money at the only thing they know how to do in the short window they have to do it in, and start worrying about the 45 year old having a meeting about maximizing profits and raising prices across the industry. Worry about the guys restarting iPath and the firms who will no doubt make offers no one could resist on a large distributor that a lot of us consider the safekeepers of skateboarding. Stevie Kickflip has to live. The Heath Brinkleys and Ryan Clements' are the ones to watch.
The thing here is, what the hell are Heath Brinkley and Ryan Clements outside of the niche role they've created in skateboarding? It is probably the only thing they are good at, outside of running a skatepark or filming skate tricks.

Now, it is terrible for the average consumer and I do think it is a more realistic thing to be concerned about, over getting mad over a guy like Zion and Foy permanently rocking Energy Drink hats trying to live off their dream.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 02:41:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would say that is a true statement. Now that Nike, Adidas and other corporations have a firm grip on the industry, less people speak out against them. I am willing to bet its for financial and possible retribution reasons though, not because they do not care.

The contracts involved with these big corporations can bankrupt you or a shop. To sell nike in small shops come with stipulations...Like you have to sell certain models they are pushing, or they are not allowed to have certain competing shoe brands.

hating your job does not always have to do with morals.. don't take it so literal
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »
I’d take a red bull sponsorship . They do a lot of cool shit for “action sports” and have record label that gives hardcore bands shine. Can’t hate my buddy worked for red bull in college and set up some sick snowboarding competitions between the states colleges and dude got us a free mini ramp on campus for a few days.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 02:43:18 PM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Doroteo Arango

• Rep: -28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 09:10:07 PM »
not a thing, hit your local mall all the brands are in there. Their is no way to avoid it and survive.  Any good brands that dont sell to the mall?  Give me a list I am looking for something to support that is worthy these days

bo golden

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 06:00:32 AM »

One of the best to ever do it!  He f'n kills!!

JeremyScottofChapman

• Rep: -21
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 06:44:01 AM »
Selling out is no longer a thing. But being spineless is.

CHOW

• Rep: -6
  • ice like winnipeg
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 06:49:29 AM »
If you skateboard for a living with no skills to fall back on, you owe it to yourself to sell out. A lot of these guys put their well-being on the line so we can watch it for free on Youtube, laugh at their slams, make fun of their outfits, and forget about it in a week. This is a fucked business model, and to make it worse, some of us criticize them for not being core enough. You cannot feed yourself or pay for a trip to the ER with high fives from Mike Carroll. Until there's a union for skateboarders, they should exploit the corporate corners of the industry to the best of their ability. Get that Nike check, wear that Red Bull hat, max out your Roth IRA and take care of yourself. This industry is a meatgrinder.

JeremyScottofChapman

• Rep: -21
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 08:41:28 AM »
I think the key word here is INTEGRITY and its something you cannot put a Red Bull hat on.

Prawn Cocktail

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »
Authenticity is important to me.

But if redbull came knocking with a check and flexfit, I'm biting.