Author Topic: Is lowering your standards of "good" due to gender not in its self sexist?  (Read 16433 times)

Surf-goth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -676
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Is lowering your standards of "good" due to gender not in its self sexist?"

If your "standards" keep leading you back to discriminate against an entire group, then it's your standards that are the problem. If that's too complicated for you, go do something with numbers you can point to.
[close]

No you're an idiot the dude has a point
[close]

You've convinced me
[close]

We're pretty much best friends now
[close]
Y'all should go do karate in the basement

I want to but he seems too soft
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

roscoemoore1

No it's not.

What is sexist is denying women representation in skateboarding on the basis they physically do not have the same capabilities as males. Equality doesn't mean absolute equality.

Surf-goth

No it's not.

What is sexist is denying women representation in skateboarding on the basis they physically do not have the same capabilities as males. Equality doesn't mean absolute equality.

If it's not absolute then it isn't equality
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Gnars for ignores on surf-goth. Just let me know when it’s done and I got ya.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Is lowering your standards of "good" due to gender not in its self sexist?"

If your "standards" keep leading you back to discriminate against an entire group, then it's your standards that are the problem. If that's too complicated for you, go do something with numbers you can point to.
[close]

No you're an idiot the dude has a point
[close]

You've convinced me
[close]

We're pretty much best friends now
[close]
Y'all should go do karate in the basement
[close]

I want to but he seems too soft

Mostly just adaptable ie. Secure enough to see the good in people.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Thinly Veiled Sexism: The Movie

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
this post isn’t gonna help you lose your virginity kid
I take exception to this.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

bo bice

• Rep: 76
imagine hating women so much you created a burner slap account my god the horror

roscoemoore1

Expand Quote
No it's not.

[close]

I suppose you would equally want the right to an abortion then? I mean, if it has to be absolute

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
i think i like their skating because i want to like them. skill doesnt always equate to my interest. my friends and i are about "aight" on a good day but im more excited about seeing their shitty footage on a group chat than most parts. that sort of sums up my feelings towards this. shit im kind of drunk and i cant tell if there are typos or not.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 95
This has been discussed on this forum before. It’s all marketing. You don’t get sponsored for being the best. You get sponced for being marketable and being able to push product. That’s why Gino had a Nike colorway this year and Colt Cannon did not. People want to see females in skateboarding. Brands can make money off of it. It’s not about tricks, it’s about money. Most things are about money.

THIS and The Olympics are Coming.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
It could be argued that my standards are pretty low as it is. I prefer style over difficulty no matter the gender.

I like Samaria, Breazy, Alexis, Marissa and Elissa. Lacy's style is forced but I think it can get better, Laticia's fits are terrible and don't help her style.

Girls on transition look more natural but I like the ones that get down in the streets more.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Still better than Pablo.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
The female thing in skateboarding is cool.  Certainly done for the Olympics, but it would great to get more young women into skating and have them have role models to look up to.  It's no secret that women aren't on the same level at most sports as men.  Think the level of play in the WNBA vs. the NBA. But it's good it's there and people enjoy it. 

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
demographics change. keep up with the times. sell some shit. skateboarding is retail sales for most part.  :'(

Surf-goth

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No it's not.

[close]

[close]

I suppose you would equally want the right to an abortion then? I mean, if it has to be absolute

Well yes i want a say in an abortion if it's my lady. I'm pro life.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
but you're a fucking moron though

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
redundant  ;D
goes with being pro-life.
the term in itself is moronic

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Expand Quote
[close]
redundant  ;D

I'm pretty against-life when it comes to a lot of people.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
It's not "lowering of standards", it's a physically different standard (like in nearly every sport).

So you can cry to the Internets that women shouldn't be professional skaters, you can ignore them, or you can appreciate female skaters who rip as hard as they do.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
Girls in skateboarding have come a long way, Peggy Oki (as one of the OGs) Cara Beth and Jen O were all I knew of when I started skating. Compared to today's amount of Pros I can't keep up with theres a stack of new girls on the rise,it's awesome. No standards lowered, if your skating sucks it sucks. Most of the girls out rip hard

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Yu Dum

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No it's not.

[close]

[close]

[close]

God, Buddha, whoever you subscribe to; help your child’s soul if you do have one. Hopefully it won’t grow up to have its head in its own ass much like its “father.”

Surf-goth

Expand Quote
[close]
redundant  ;D

So women should just kill babies cause they wanna sleep around? And don't gimme that rape bullshit
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Yu Dum

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
redundant  ;D
[close]

So women should just kill babies cause they wanna sleep around? And don't gimme that rape bullshit
Rape bullshit?? Are you fucking kidding me? You act like getting an abortion isn’t a severely traumatic experience for the women involved. You really think people get enjoyment out of having to rip a potential (notice how I said “potential”; as in, not yet living) life out of themselves?
Get fucked by a Mack truck, you dork.

jawano

• Rep: -16
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
redundant  ;D
[close]

[close]
Rape bullshit?? Are you fucking kidding me? You act like getting an abortion isn’t a severely traumatic experience for the women involved. You really think people get enjoyment out of having to rip a potential (notice how I said “potential”; as in, not yet living) life out of themselves?
I was at the bar after work yesterday talking to an old-timer who was in about his early twenties when Roe v. Wade came down. He excitedly described the uptick in promiscuity. I don't know, wasn't there. Sounded fun though.

Not all women are traumatized by abortion, bro. I think it's sexist to assume that they would have some emotional connection to a group of cells growing in their bodies simply because they are women.

Back to the topic at hand, I like watching girls skate. Sometimes for selfish reasons (they look good and they are sometimes skimpily dressed) but also because girls sometimes have their own steez that dudes can't really emulate.

Yu Dum

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
redundant  ;D
[close]

[close]
[close]
I was at the bar after work yesterday talking to an old-timer who was in about his early twenties when Roe v. Wade came down. He excitedly described the uptick in promiscuity. I don't know, wasn't there. Sounded fun though.

Not all women are traumatized by abortion, bro. I think it's sexist to assume that they would have some emotional connection to a group of cells growing in their bodies simply because they are women.

Back to the topic at hand, I like watching girls skate. Sometimes for selfish reasons (they look good and they are sometimes skimpily dressed) but also because girls sometimes have their own steez that dudes can't really emulate.
The handful of women I’ve talked to about their experience, those of whom I’ve been very close to throughout the years, have told me that it was one of the most traumatic experiences they’ve had to go through.
Not only because they’ve had to make one of the toughest decisions they’ve ever had to make, but because they have to live with that secret for the rest of their lives.
They’ve all expressed extreme guilt because of this, but all were necessary. Maybe not all women feel the same, but I can say that I feel the majority dread ever having to make the decision.

SlappyBum

• Rep: -4
Watching some dude wallie 360 flip down a stair set gets me less stoked to skate than most clips of female skaters having fun. They get me hyped cause its relatable cause im not a skate god. But i do enjoy watching clips like that to admire people for being bad ass

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
redundant  ;D
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
The handful of women I’ve talked to about their experience, those of whom I’ve been very close to throughout the years, have told me that it was one of the most traumatic experiences they’ve had to go through.
Not only because they’ve had to make one of the toughest decisions they’ve ever had to make, but because they have to live with that secret for the rest of their lives.
They’ve all expressed extreme guilt because of this, but all were necessary. Maybe not all women feel the same, but I can say that I feel the majority dread ever having to make the decision.

I know a few women who have had one but I'll describe two:

One was 15, in a relationship with an physically abusive shitbag who is still an abusive shitbag 25 years later. No regrets.

The other was 18, hated kids, had a dipshit boyfriend who couldn't pay a phone bill, and still doesn't have much use for kids 25 years later. No regrets.

Not to get into specifics but these events led to multiple children being born decades later who are loved and well cared for and would not exist if certain people had their way over all women's bodies. If you believe these young women should have lived with their earlier bad choices, it's the same as saying the kids who were born years later shouldn't be alive.

There are probably thousands of stories like this that are never spoken of.

It ends up becoming some dark secret because in this country there are plenty of holier than thou assholes who can and will ruin your reputation and career because they disapprove of how you handled shit you weren't equipped to handle.

Let me also point out because it often goes unsaid in the discussion that childbirth is incredibly traumatic. Gestating a child for nine months then giving birth is traumatic and a woman's body is not the same afterwards. Period. Any evidence to the contrary is Photoshopped. Maternity care costs a fortune. Raising kids is hell under the best of circumstances.

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No it's not.

[close]

[close]

[close]

lmao of course you are

Surf-goth

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
redundant  ;D
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

No you can't say that. You can't say most women you can say the women you knew cause guess what? The women i knew had no remorse and just treated it like it was tooth getting pulled.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.