Author Topic: Thoughts on the switch switch  (Read 2294 times)

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Thoughts on the switch switch
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »
pertaining to video part lines....Lands switch and then just slides the back foot up to start pushing reg(or vice versa)? It always came off as lazy or poor trick selection to me. Pop a fs halfcab or switch back 180 and lets go. bad taste or the classic overthink?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: Thoughts on the switch switch
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:31:21 AM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but actually dont mind it at all when people do that or just to a revert to go from fakie to regs or vice versa, unless it looks really uncoordinated of course.

Baron Samedi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
Depends who does it, as well as what trick precedes it. Guys like MJ, Wes, or Kenny Anderson could easily do something like that and make it look seamless, where plenty of others could make it look really stupid. Same with the jazz push, varial flips, and many other questionable maneuvers in skateboarding.

shark tits

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
nollie shove it and start pushing switch, switch shove it and start pushing regs. didn't you watch penal code?
that shit is allowed.
we don't really doubt you can do a nollie 180 or halfcab so go ahead.
one thing i thought was gonna be a weird trend but turned out to be a one of is marc johnson on 411, he'd do a trick regs then do a slappy nollie half cab to do a trick riding backwards.
it's normal if rare to do a fakie to regs kickturn [actually pretty damn rare!] but to do it to is presumptuous and rude.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 01:03:57 PM »
it's normal if rare to do a fakie to regs kickturn [actually pretty damn rare!] but to do it to is presumptuous and rude.
i love those

esp this line
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:09:54 PM by behavioralguide »

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i love those

esp this line

guy .. mouse
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

shark tits

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:17:02 PM »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »
this one always stood out haha

shit_for_brains

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »
Depends who it is. Bobby Worrest would do a trick to get back to regular, but like Jon Dickson just turn around dude we don't care.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »
oh and callum paul in my sig ofcourse

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 02:07:37 PM »
as far as my own skating is concerned I'm with OP (regardless of whether I'm being filmed or not). as far as anybody else I don't mind, as Baron Samedi said some people will make it look sick, although personally I will appreciate people who respect the stance they happen to find themselves in mid line by responding accordingly not to break the flow. it's not so much about 'rules' as it is about whichever aesthetics were codified as normal in skating when you first started or discovered it, be it in the popular videos of the time or at your own spots, seeing what the older skaters were doing. comprising habits such as turn arounds, or switch mongo pushing, depending on your scene it's either the only respectable way of doing it (Mike Carroll talking about pushing fakie) or the totally wrong way (Cc: Ricky Oyola). once you've incorporated those habits into your own skating, then sticking to them for the rest of your life makes you feel like you're constantly paying tribute to certain traditions.

I think (especially street) lines where people don't break their own flow all the while retaining technicality on the tricks they use to revert back to regs (or turn around to switch for that matter) are an art form that's on yet another level of respectable; the tricks don't have to be hard ones either, just show control even on the basics. I think in reality, it's just that noone wants to see half-assed shit, be it a cheap non-popped half cab with not enough flavor to be jazzy, or a sketchy nollie backside flip going slow with a ticktack. everything goes, just put in some effort to make it look your own type of good, the rest is just technicalities and words. some good examples and counter-examples in this thread for instance.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:12:34 PM by silhouette »

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »
I think it feels rad.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
I almost have a weird fetish with that kind of thing.  Walker ryan’s after he switch heelflips up the curb in his Svrn part looks so fucking cool but I don’t really know why. 

I almost think of them as being analogous to Bob Ross whacking “the devil out” his paint brush against the easel; you’ve seen it a million times but you always like watching it again.  Well I do anyways.  Could just be my undiagnosed autism.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
the absolute worst example of this is joey brezinksi in some transworld video. front nosegrind 180 on a ledge, cruise for 10 feet, them turn back around and do a regular trick. he should have been thrown off all his sponsors right there, how do you reach pro level and not know how to put a line together better than that shit

also if you watch closely in fully flared MC does two switch tricks in a line but pushes regular around the corner in between, but i'll give him a pass
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

calvinsdream

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 06:05:36 PM »
pertaining to video part lines....Lands switch and then just slides the back foot up to start pushing reg(or vice versa)? It always came off as lazy or poor trick selection to me. Pop a fs halfcab or switch back 180 and lets go. bad taste or the classic overthink?

You and Oyola should hang