Author Topic: austyn of wknd  (Read 83340 times)

GershonSweaty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
Re: austyn of wknd
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2018, 08:30:52 AM »
RE: left over decks.I’d print over his name but maybe that’s bad form.

Dill really is following the Rocco business model right ?

A new brand maybe means better with us than with someone else.

Can anyone tell me how Kevin Terpenning gets away with it ?

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 08:37:12 AM »
riding for the Funeral Home probably pays well if its out of the FA camp. WKND probably doesnt.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/funeralhomeskateboards/

It looks like our dude Pine might be on as well.

canadian tm

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2018, 08:49:14 AM »
riding for the Funeral Home probably pays well if its out of the FA camp. WKND probably doesnt.

don't think thats going to be the actual name, it's a place holder until they have an actual name

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »
They have a Trademark on the name. why would they spend time and money on a place holder. If you are starting a brand, first you need to think of a name that you can use, one that isnt already trademarked. Then you need to protect your brand by trademarking your name so you dont get sued down the road. Funeral Home is the name. nobody would waste their time on trademarks otherwise.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 09:08:26 AM »
seen riding a fa/hockey board in nyc with strobeck
pictures ?

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »
A company called funeral home having any ties to Dylan seems weird to me

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 09:44:14 AM »
The only tie to Dylan is that Dill is starting the company. its a pretty loose connection there. From here on out should every move dill makes take into account that Dylan rode for FA and how it reflects upon his legacy? no.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 10:00:47 AM »
The only tie to Dylan is that Dill is starting the company. its a pretty loose connection there. From here on out should every move dill makes take into account that Dylan rode for FA and how it reflects upon his legacy? no.
Dill is supposedly starting a company with Austyn Gillette, 2 of Dylan's close friends. It's not hard to see how someone could make that connection but I agree it doesn't really affect Dylan's legacy or anything like that.

micky682

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »
Are we sure it’s not gonna be called just Funeral and funeral home would be the official trademark like how Toy Machine’s official name is Toy Machine bloodsucking corporation. 

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2018, 10:11:07 AM »
i agree that it doesnt affect dylan at all its just weird to me to think of riders and companies (austyn/dill/fa) that were so close with him and the word funeral. im not saying there is anything wrong with it. just makes me feel sad.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3271
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2018, 10:16:19 AM »
Can’t believe he’s of Echo Park Skateboards.

This is quite astute.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 384
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Why can't he go back to Habitat already together with Louie and Jake?
Louie would be a great fit on there and if they would make decent graphics again they would be killing it again.

Do we really need another company?
Let alone another FA one... I like FA alot though.

And it's not that my opinion matters :-)
[close]

I'd rather a new cool one than keeping all the shitty old ones.

I think this is the key step that skating is currently forgetting.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »

Can anyone tell me how Kevin Terpenning gets away with it?

If you can afford to do it until one of them sticks/blows up, why not? Surely FA and Hockey are not on everyone's radar (and not to the level that Dill perhaps thought it would be?). Besides, the industry is dominated by the distribution house's brands.

None of these new 'small' brands have been able to get passed cult followings and position themselves as a force to be reckoned with other than Primitive (largely due to already being an established brand and, of course, Prod) in the face of the big 4 Distro house and their brands. 

Quasi, WKND, Ilse, Polar, Scumco, Magenta, Killing Floor, Northern Co., etc., aren't majorly successful, but continue to sell and have a following...and arguably some of them are past their prime...it's like stacking clips on instagram...oh look, something new and shiny, wknd who?

Fading but clinging to life brands like Zero, Toy, DGK, Skate Mafia, Plan B, FLip, Slave, Habitat, AWS might as well be dumped into that cult following group as well, but at the bottom of the list. Somehow they survive the popularity contest. How many of your buddies ride a DGK or Plan B board?

Brands like #s, Skate Mental, Pizza, Max Allure, SVORN, Bianca Chandon, whatever didn't make a dent...

In order to be a player, you need the backing of shoe money, your own money (Birdhouse), bean old influential pro with cash and some other older pros (e.g., FA) or you need to pool multiple teams under one roof and go distro to survive the long game and not have a day job.

The Boss has got it right (and it seems Crail might be trying it again) AMs, young kids sell product to the young kids "hey that kid is my age, I wanna be like them" so they GROW UP WITH THEM and follow them, no young kid at the skatepark gives a fuck about Dill footy. Hell, I'd rather watch Kader rip than Dill.

Also, Austyn is too fucking good for WKND, bro co or not.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:01:49 AM by Xen »

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you can afford to do it until one of them sticks/blows up, why not? Surely FA and Hockey are not on everyone's radar (and not to the level that Dill perhaps thought it would be?). Besides, the industry is dominated by the distribution house's brands.

None of these new 'small' brands have been able to get passed cult followings and position themselves as a force to be reckoned with other than Primitive (largely due to already being an established brand and, of course, Prod) in the face of the big 4 Distro house and their brands. 

Quasi, WKND, Ilse, Polar, Scumco, Magenta, Killing Floor, Northern Co., etc., aren't majorly successful, but continue to sell and have a following...and arguably some of them are past their prime...it's like stacking clips on instagram...oh look, something new and shiny, wknd who?

Fading but clinging to life brands like Zero, Toy, DGK, Skate Mafia, Plan B, FLip, Slave, Habitat, AWS might as well be dumped into that cult following group as well, but at the bottom of the list. Somehow they survive the popularity contest. How many of your buddies ride a DGK or Plan B board?

Brands like #s, Skate Mental, Pizza, Max Allure, SVORN, Bianca Chandon, whatever didn't make a dent...

In order to be a player, you need the backing of shoe money, your own money (Birdhouse), bean old influential pro with cash and some other older pros (e.g., FA) or you need to pool multiple teams under one roof and go distro to survive the long game and not have a day job.

The Boss has got it right (and it seems Crail might be trying it again) AMs, young kids sell product to the young kids "hey that kid is my age, I wanna be like them" so they GROW UP WITH THEM and follow them, no young kid at the skatepark gives a fuck about Dill footy. Hell, I'd rather watch Kader rip than Dill.

I honestly want to know what planet you are living on with saying that FA/hockey boards aren’t making the dent they were supposed to. Every shop I’ve been in over the last two years has been selling those like crazy. One shop I went to even sold all 20 boards they got in from them that single day within four hours. Maybe you live in an area that isn’t populated with hipsters🤔? I thought hipsters had moved everywhere these days tho in the states.

Edit: Quasi and polar are kicking ass as well.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:05:59 AM by cheetahsheets »

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 11:14:44 AM »
I have to think FA/Hockey are doing exactly as well as they hoped. The main brand has the word 'fuck' in the name - I think they knew moms wouldn't be buying an FA for their 8 year old's first board. They seem to have a very good idea who they're marketing to (mainly kids that buy Supreme, whether they skate or not), and it worked. I know they're not a Slap favourite, but they have a great team; both in terms of skaters who are hot right now, and big/nostalgic names. I'm sure they don't sell as many boards as Primitive, but I'm not sure anyone else does either, including big distros. I think FA/Hockey are probably as relevant and as popular right now as you could expect a board brand to be in 2018.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2018, 11:15:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I honestly want to know what planet you are living on with saying that FA/hockey boards aren’t making the dent they were supposed to. Every shop I’ve been in over the last two years has been selling those like crazy. One shop I went to even sold all 20 boards they got in from them that single day within four hours. Maybe you live in an area that isn’t populated with hipsters🤔? I thought hipsters had moved everywhere these days tho in the states.

FA/Hockey are the hottest selling boards right now. Anyone who disagrees must have a local shop that doesnt sell it.

I don't ride FA/Hockey boards, but it isnt hard to see that kids eat that shit up.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

FA/Hockey are the hottest selling boards right now. Anyone who disagrees must have a local shop that doesnt sell it.

I don't ride FA/Hockey boards, but it isnt hard to see that kids eat that shit up.

im really curious what the current prestige tier brands are these days. like what are the "best/coolest" deck companies to ride for.

ChiefSQueff

• Rep: -263
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2018, 11:21:47 AM »
Austin isn't leaving wknd. He is part owner. He hates dill. I hate him too

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 347
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »
i still just don't think this is true. He was skating WKND boards on the recent HUF trip, and in all his recent clips he's put out.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2018, 11:43:54 AM »

Lol youre over thinking this.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
Austyn always seemed a bit too pretentious for WKND anyway.  Hope this frees up a spot for David Clark

wheee!

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2018, 11:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol youre over thinking this.

forgive me, im still really messed up over kotr not having make out challenges anymore and its messing with my thinking.

opinionated bastard

• Rep: -179
Re: austyn off wknd
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »

He is not part owner. This is confirmed, he gone.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2018, 12:04:58 PM »
Austyn always seemed a bit too pretentious for WKND anyway.  Hope this frees up a spot for David Clark

pretty sure David Clark is riding for AllTimers
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

shark tits

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

do you travel? it's easy to think that where you are is the whole world then you go to another state, cans and bottles aren't worth a nickel, you don't have to dial area code for local calls and the guardrails and trees are different.
i don't look at anyone's board, don't know or care what kids are riding but i see lots of DLX at my local shop. i wouldn't assume the rest of the country is on DLX as a result.

opinionated bastard

• Rep: -179
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2018, 12:06:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

pretty sure David Clark is riding for AllTimers

rides for no one

CHOW

• Rep: -6
  • ice like winnipeg
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
FA and Hockey are absolutely on the level Dill thought it would be, considering that they're able to pick and choose which shops carry their shit. Do you know how hard it is to get an FA board in NYC? Their only account in the 5 boroughs is Supreme. They're not looking to have a giant market share like Deluxe and NHS. They have barely any overhead and they sell through their limited stock at a premium, all while their riders are getting wined, dined, flown around the world, and promoted by their shoe sponsors and Supreme. Dill and AVE are probably making money hand over fist.

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2018, 12:08:07 PM »

Haha Dill made some jabs at wknd for using similar ideas, never knew austyn hated dill tho