Author Topic: austyn of wknd  (Read 83380 times)

Putaslocas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
Re: austyn of wknd
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Austyn always seemed a bit too pretentious for WKND anyway.  Hope this frees up a spot for David Clark
[close]

pretty sure David Clark is riding for AllTimers

Pretty sure he has a board on politic no?

opinionated bastard

• Rep: -179
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2018, 12:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Austyn always seemed a bit too pretentious for WKND anyway.  Hope this frees up a spot for David Clark
[close]

[close]

rides4nobody

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »
Expand Quote
If you can afford to do it until one of them sticks/blows up, why not? Surely FA and Hockey are not on everyone's radar (and not to the level that Dill perhaps thought it would be?). Besides, the industry is dominated by the distribution house's brands.
[close]
FA and Hockey are absolutely on the level Dill thought it would be, considering that they're able to pick and choose which shops carry their shit. Do you know how hard it is to get an FA board in NYC? Their only account in the 5 boroughs is Supreme. They're not looking to have a giant market share like Deluxe and NHS. They have barely any overhead and they sell through their limited stock at a premium, all while their riders are getting wined, dined, flown around the world, and promoted by their shoe sponsors and Supreme. Dill and AVE are probably making money hand over fist.

I was actually talking with the owner of the shop i go to and they are even really strict on shops selling items online. Im not sure what the rule exactly was but i remember something along the lines of, the shop owners are only allowed to post clothing/accessories on the shops website but not boards. Could be boards and clothing/accesories, not 100% sure. So they want you to only be able to pick up their product at a shop and never online.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2018, 12:15:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

rides4nobody
He's working his way up the Alltimers ladder.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2018, 12:28:10 PM »
still no picture of Austyn with an FA board

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
If you can afford to do it until one of them sticks/blows up, why not? Surely FA and Hockey are not on everyone's radar (and not to the level that Dill perhaps thought it would be?). Besides, the industry is dominated by the distribution house's brands.
[close]
FA and Hockey are absolutely on the level Dill thought it would be, considering that they're able to pick and choose which shops carry their shit. Do you know how hard it is to get an FA board in NYC? Their only account in the 5 boroughs is Supreme. They're not looking to have a giant market share like Deluxe and NHS. They have barely any overhead and they sell through their limited stock at a premium, all while their riders are getting wined, dined, flown around the world, and promoted by their shoe sponsors and Supreme. Dill and AVE are probably making money hand over fist.

I'm pretty sure I've seen FA and Hockey stuff in Labor and/or KCDC.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2018, 12:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Im pretty sure everyone in NY would hate FA if they thought they are so exclusive that they didnt sell to any other NY shops. Labor most def gets FA decks. Labor gets all the cool stuff all the time. FA would be wack as hell if the excluded Labor from their shop list. If I had a brand and was so lucky to pick what shops the decks go to, I would put Labor on the list for sure.

cloudy

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

and "pushing the pricing."

"At 35th Ave, Dave Waite has a handful of boards above $50...I'll use Fucking Awesome as an example, we charge $55 for their boards and no one has said anything. In some ways it is pushing the pricing."

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/the-price-of-a-deck

shit_for_brains

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

and "pushing the pricing."

"At 35th Ave, Dave Waite has a handful of boards above $50...I'll use Fucking Awesome as an example, we charge $55 for their boards and no one has said anything. In some ways it is pushing the pricing."

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/the-price-of-a-deck

I'm crossing streams with another topic but notice how nobody cares when they don't stare you in the eyes and tell you you're a piece of shit along with the price increase?

CHOW

• Rep: -6
  • ice like winnipeg
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2018, 01:07:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

They should, and Labor has every other exclusive brand, but I'm pretty sure the only other shops with accounts in the tri-state are NJ, Travel, and Alumni. I heard that about a year ago from somebody that has correspondence with their rep and I can't find any FA/Hockey product on the Labor/KCDC IGs. A few shops around here have been caught backdooring it though *coughcoughClassiccoughcough*

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I was actually talking with the owner of the shop i go to and they are even really strict on shops selling items online. Im not sure what the rule exactly was but i remember something along the lines of, the shop owners are only allowed to post clothing/accessories on the shops website but not boards. Could be boards and clothing/accesories, not 100% sure. So they want you to only be able to pick up their product at a shop and never online.

its definitely clothing too. whenever that drop came out with the HOCKEY sweater it sold out on the FA site pretty fast so i started looking online and not seeing it. then on instagram i would see shops post pics of it saying it came in with the drop and people in the comments would ask why it wasnt showing up on their online store. they would then reply that they couldnt sell online anymore but to DM them.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »
Expand Quote
RE: left over decks.I’d print over his name but maybe that’s bad form.

Dill really is following the Rocco business model right ?

A new brand maybe means better with us than with someone else.

Can anyone tell me how Kevin Terpenning gets away with it?
[close]

None of these new 'small' brands have been able to get passed cult followings and position themselves as a force to be reckoned with other than Primitive (largely due to already being an established brand and, of course, Prod) in the face of the big 4 Distro house and their brands. 

Quasi, WKND, Ilse, Polar, Scumco, Magenta, Killing Floor, Northern Co., etc., aren't majorly successful, but continue to sell and have a following...and arguably some of them are past their prime...it's like stacking clips on instagram...oh look, something new and shiny, wknd who?

Fading but clinging to life brands like Zero, Toy, DGK, Skate Mafia, Plan B, FLip, Slave, Habitat, AWS might as well be dumped into that cult following group as well, but at the bottom of the list. Somehow they survive the popularity contest. How many of your buddies ride a DGK or Plan B board?

Brands like #s, Skate Mental, Pizza, Max Allure, SVORN, Bianca Chandon, whatever didn't make a dent...

In order to be a player, you need the backing of shoe money, your own money (Birdhouse), bean old influential pro with cash and some other older pros (e.g., FA) or you need to pool multiple teams under one roof and go distro to survive the long game and not have a day job.

The Boss has got it right (and it seems Crail might be trying it again) AMs, young kids sell product to the young kids "hey that kid is my age, I wanna be like them" so they GROW UP WITH THEM and follow them, no young kid at the skatepark gives a fuck about Dill footy. Hell, I'd rather watch Kader rip than Dill.

Also, Austyn is too fucking good for WKND, bro co or not.
The most successful new brand is probably Palace and that brand is majorly successful. Which is somehow ignored in your post. Its only been with major distribution to get product distributed in the United States.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
They should, and Labor has every other exclusive brand, but I'm pretty sure the only other shops with accounts in the tri-state are NJ, Travel, and Alumni. I heard that about a year ago from somebody that has correspondence with their rep and I can't find any FA/Hockey product on the Labor/KCDC IGs. A few shops around here have been caught backdooring it though *coughcoughClassiccoughcough*

NJ Skateshop in New Brunswick has carried Hockey in recent months.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
joining forces with shane?!  :P
[close]
First thing that popped into my head!

Seem like two dudes who wouldn't vibe/don't hang out but I could still see it happening.
[close]
I was told it's a third FA brand with Austyn, Louie Lopez, Jake Anderson, and maybe some others.
Don't think there really needs to be another FA brand but whatever.
I like Austyn on wknd
I would guess one of the AMs will be Jamal Gibbs. Should also try to get Mason Silva on.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »

The most successful new brand is probably Palace and that brand is majorly successful. Which is somehow ignored in your post. Its only been with major distribution to get product distributed in the United States.

I don't disagree with you on their success but also I don't consider Palace new, still going after what, 7-8 years? Hardly considered a startup in this industry.

To the other posts about FA success as a designed-to-be-bourgeois brand sure, they're doing it and Dill/AVEare making money and good for them, they found their niche but maybe we're (I'm) talking about the same thing here: Core brands (DLX, BakeBros)  vs Bro Brands (No.Co, WKND) vs Bourgeois brands (Palace, FA, Chandon).

Also, people buy (and actually where) shit like this for $100?:
https://fuckingawesomestore.com/collections/frontpage/products/cut-outs-work-pants-khaki-black

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:38:50 PM by Xen »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't consider Palace new.
Well, its still a massive brand outside the big 4 distro's you talk about, and is newer than brands like Skate Mental, and was launched around the same time as Polar.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't consider Palace new.
[close]
Well, its still a massive brand outside the big 4 distro's you talk about, and is newer than brands like Skate Mental, and was launched around the same time as Polar.
polar is that old? Skate mental is about 10 years old . I remember kids wearing those uzi does it shirts back in high school.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
joining forces with shane?!  :P
[close]
First thing that popped into my head!

Seem like two dudes who wouldn't vibe/don't hang out but I could still see it happening.
[close]
I was told it's a third FA brand with Austyn, Louie Lopez, Jake Anderson, and maybe some others.
Don't think there really needs to be another FA brand but whatever.
I like Austyn on wknd

[close]

Agree 1000%.

Another FA brand is exactly what’s needed......would you prefer another brand like enjoi, almost, darkstar, Santa Cruz, element, flip, blind?

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2018, 03:12:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

its definitely clothing too. whenever that drop came out with the HOCKEY sweater it sold out on the FA site pretty fast so i started looking online and not seeing it. then on instagram i would see shops post pics of it saying it came in with the drop and people in the comments would ask why it wasnt showing up on their online store. they would then reply that they couldnt sell online anymore but to DM them.

None of this is actually true at all. I run a shop and we sell the stuff online and everyone knows and no one cares.

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2018, 03:20:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

None of this is actually true at all. I run a shop and we sell the stuff online and everyone knows and no one cares.

I get the vibe they closed your account for having that attitude so now youre gonna continue selling whatever gear you have of theirs online. Or maybe daniel shimizu hasnt figured it out yet and will eventually just close your account without telling you lol.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:23:04 PM by Putaslocas »

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2018, 03:31:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I get the vibe they closed your account for having that attitude so now youre gonna continue selling whatever gear you have of theirs online. Or maybe daniel shimizu hasnt figured it out yet and will eventually just close your account without telling you lol.

No.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2018, 03:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

while it might not be true for your shop it was definitely true for others. ill go digging through instagram posts if you really doubt it. i was trying to get a certain thing and saw it mentioned time and time again on different shops feeds.

Coolhats

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2018, 03:53:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

while it might not be true for your shop it was definitely true for others. ill go digging through instagram posts if you really doubt it. i was trying to get a certain thing and saw it mentioned time and time again on different shops feeds.

It’s probably specific drops that shops can’t sell online. There are some clothes I’ve only ever seen on the FA site. When they first started I know they wouldn’t sell to certain shops. Some of that has probably changed though. I think it took 1.5-2 years before they started selling to my local shop.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
my guess is it has something do with the "quality" or whatever of the shop or saturation level. When i was trying to get this particular sweater i noticed socalskates seemed to be the online bigger local shop site to have it online. i remember cowtown was one of the shops that advertised they had it in store but not for sale online.

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2018, 04:11:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

basically every shop in germany that has fa also sells everything online, so that must be us only then?

miff

• Rep: -8
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2018, 04:22:48 PM »
If there's any truth to restricting sale through a shops online store it's probably to somewhat safeguard against someone buying in bulk to resell.

If FA is so popular to sell out product so quickly it benefits the shop to require people to step foot inside...

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »
still no picture of Austyn with an FA board

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
If there's any truth to restricting sale through a shops online store it's probably to somewhat safeguard against someone buying in bulk to resell.

If FA is so popular to sell out product so quickly it benefits the shop to require people to step foot inside...

I agree with you 100%, theyre making people support them and the local shops.

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2018, 04:40:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

basically every shop in germany that has fa also sells everything online, so that must be us only then?

I guess that might be the case. Cant say for sure. All ive posted here is info from one shop owner in the US. Maybe they assume its more popular here so they dont put in as much effort to be strict on foreign online sales?

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Im pretty sure everyone in NY would hate FA if they thought they are so exclusive that they didnt sell to any other NY shops. Labor most def gets FA decks. Labor gets all the cool stuff all the time. FA would be wack as hell if the excluded Labor from their shop list. If I had a brand and was so lucky to pick what shops the decks go to, I would put Labor on the list for sure.

When I was in New York in 2016, labor only got FA boards through am/flow guys selling it to the shop cause FA was only available at supreme, I hope Austyn doesn't leave, also a third board brand out of the FA camp would be to much for me