Author Topic: austyn of wknd  (Read 83381 times)

canadian tm

Re: austyn of wknd
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
austyn has already quit wknd, so for those people hoping it's not happening, it's happened. it's done
it'll be announced once they have given shops enough time to sell his board
potential reason for quitting wknd was i now understand they had to cut everyone's pay to turn maalouf pro
homie who works at the fa warehouse says funeral home is not the 3rd company name

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The most successful new brand is probably Palace and that brand is majorly successful. Which is somehow ignored in your post. Its only been with major distribution to get product distributed in the United States.
[close]

I don't consider Palace new.
[close]
Well, its still a massive brand outside the big 4 distro's you talk about, and is newer than brands like Skate Mental, and was launched around the same time as Polar.
[close]
polar is that old? Skate mental is about 10 years old . I remember kids wearing those uzi does it shirts back in high school.
I think Palace launched around 2009, Polar launched in like 2011, and Skate Mental launched around 2008. None are really that new, but if brands like Polar and Skate Mental are considered new, Palace is in the same discussion.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2018, 06:59:37 PM »
i guess they could just use a DBA name. I think Quasi is still called Mother Skateboards on the books but they DBA Quasi Skateboards.

Watson, did your shop get the email saying not to sell FA shit online?

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »
is there any actual reliable sales data out there? all day on slap there's people talking about how well Brand X is selling/Brand Z isn't/etc etc but these comments don't seem to be informed by anything beyond the limited scope of what they personally see at their local shop/park or just adding to the slap echo chamber

other2

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2018, 07:34:18 PM »
he's on the reborn Time Skateboards out of Australia.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2018, 07:53:33 PM »
let's just rewind a bit here and contemplate the fact that Dill called his company "fucking awesome"

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »
is there any actual reliable sales data out there? all day on slap there's people talking about how well Brand X is selling/Brand Z isn't/etc etc but these comments don't seem to be informed by anything beyond the limited scope of what they personally see at their local shop/park or just adding to the slap echo chamber
Well, in the case of Palace which is the brand I mentioned, I'd say its the rapid expansion and how written and talked about it is. Now, a bunch of the success like Supreme is driven by people who don't skateboard. This is also reflected in the re-sale market of these items.

Since almost all of these brands are privately owned, its hard to get any concrete info on them.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2018, 08:05:11 PM »
My guess is that austyn, if he is actually leaving, will start a new board brand with his former cohorts, poach Silva and jake Anderson, then the cherry on top is that they will enter into a distribution with dill, who will distribute fucking awesome, hockey, new brand, former, and australian glasses epocke, someother bullshit wheels/hardware, and maybe even some surf shit - then dills dream of crushing dlx and nhs will come true.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
reminds me of legal weed. in the 90s there were X amount of skaters and they could be served by 20 or so board companies.
now there's 10 X as many skaters but 20 X as many board companies.
legal weed undercuts the old niche dealers. if anything there should be more competition and prices get lower.

euro tm

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »
i guess they could just use a DBA name. I think Quasi is still called Mother Skateboards on the books but they DBA Quasi Skateboards.

Watson, did your shop get the email saying not to sell FA shit online?

shops are not allowed to sell any of their product online so they can only exclusively sell on their own website. i’m a fan of them but that definitely made me not want to support it. it’s been fucking a lot of shops over.

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
the "in-store only" is U.S only (for now)

we've been selling a bit more FA/Hockey to the states since that happened, mostly clothing.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2018, 10:29:34 PM »
stores can still post the FA stuff to an online store, and make the item inactive so the customer cant buy it online. Then the description says something like "in store only call for details". The customer calls and buys it over the phone. selling online and displaying online are different things.

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2018, 12:05:58 AM »
seems likely to me they'll use the next supreme vid to showcase the next set of up and comers to be in the new brand the same way Cherry launched fa.

their sales strategies are very smart especially for a small controlled brand. hockey being available in chain stores fa being exclusive etc.. saying its bad that a local shop can't sell online is a conflicted statement. also they sell more than you would probably guess as a high number via their own webshop.

diversification from one of the camps doing it right is good for the scene imo and yeah much rather some good new blood come around and take away from the tired old guard.. why not? push those big distros and shadow men who don't or haven't had anything to do w/ skating in decades.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2018, 12:58:04 AM »
he's on the reborn Time Skateboards out of Australia.

Austyn and Seb Steele will get along well

canadian tm

« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2018, 02:10:09 AM »
he is riding the sean pablo angel burn deck in former's latest story on instagram

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2018, 02:21:34 AM »
Austyn and Seb Steele will get along well
hahaha!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2018, 05:50:50 AM »
I too have heard these rumors, something that is quite upsetting. I feel like it made too much sense that he rode for WKND, as they re a team that capitalizes off of fun, goofy ideas/concepts, and solid skating. I know Austyn was in Strobeck's latest story with Sean Pablo, and that sort of reconfirmed these rumors as I can't imagine those two would be hanging out unless something was up. I also can't help to think in that one video interview with Austyn, his mention of skating that gets attention but isn't actually on the level it should be was a jab at Pablo and NYC skating at times. However, I could be wrong. And I don't necessarily agree as I think Pablo has a place in skating...

Anyway, I still plan on supporting WKND as I love the team (Molinar, drop a part)! Grant is super nice as he did a lengthy interview for me and a pal a bit ago and has always emailed me back with questions about boards, etc. You won't get that from other companies. I still am a huge Gillette fan, but I don't necessarily plan on jumping on whatever his new endeavor is, especially if it's an FA thing. To be honest, once Dylan passed and Terpening stopped appearing to be as involved with the brand, the luster wore off for me. I like Sean Pablo, but not enough to buy those boards. Plus the fact that Dill hates WKND bothers me as I imagine this hate is because he feels threatened by a brand like WKND which looks like it is doing super well.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2018, 06:55:56 AM »
Since when does Dill hate wknd?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

CHOW

• Rep: -6
  • ice like winnipeg
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2018, 07:06:45 AM »

Per this interview with Johan: https://farrangolding.com/2015/10/30/working-life-wknd-skateboards-with-johan-stuckey/

Q: I thought the FA school photo decks WKND boards with the girls were sort of similar. Not like a rip off but similar theme I guess.

A: I know Dill definitely hates WKND to the core. So much. He hates Grant and Raymond (Molinar) and that’s why it’s so funny that him and I get along because he hates what I ‘stand for’.

shark tits

« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2018, 07:16:09 AM »
to planman, since jimmy hardcore choked grant for loitering in FA territory

active_shooter

« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2018, 07:17:21 AM »
I too have heard these rumors, something that is quite upsetting. I feel like it made too much sense that he rode for WKND, as they re a team that capitalizes off of fun, goofy ideas/concepts, and solid skating. I know Austyn was in Strobeck's latest story with Sean Pablo, and that sort of reconfirmed these rumors as I can't imagine those two would be hanging out unless something was up. I also can't help to think in that one video interview with Austyn, his mention of skating that gets attention but isn't actually on the level it should be was a jab at Pablo and NYC skating at times. However, I could be wrong. And I don't necessarily agree as I think Pablo has a place in skating...

Anyway, I still plan on supporting WKND as I love the team (Molinar, drop a part)! Grant is super nice as he did a lengthy interview for me and a pal a bit ago and has always emailed me back with questions about boards, etc. You won't get that from other companies. I still am a huge Gillette fan, but I don't necessarily plan on jumping on whatever his new endeavor is, especially if it's an FA thing. To be honest, once Dylan passed and Terpening stopped appearing to be as involved with the brand, the luster wore off for me. I like Sean Pablo, but not enough to buy those boards. Plus the fact that Dill hates WKND bothers me as I imagine this hate is because he feels threatened by a brand like WKND which looks like it is doing super well.
For what it's worth (which is probably not much) I can confirm Grant is a super nice dude who always responds to my emails and always takes time answer all questions that I might have. I don't appreciate FA/Hockey switching up and utilizing possibly cheaper board manufacturers at a time when they seem to be doing rather well, what with Rihanna wearing your shirts and all. WKND has remained with PS Stix and I certainly can appreciate that.

Little Debbie

« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2018, 07:17:30 AM »
Bill's Nine Club interview shows he has a lot of influence at FA and with Dill and AVE, like he's super involved in contributing ideas and getting in their heads about how/what to present. i could totally see him catalyzing a new brand with Austyn and maybe Sean. he did mention how he wanted to get Dylan, AO and Austyn together for a "Team Handsome" themed brand, maybe now is the time? maybe Blessed is the name of the new team, too? ???

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2018, 07:21:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Per this interview with Johan: https://farrangolding.com/2015/10/30/working-life-wknd-skateboards-with-johan-stuckey/

Expand Quote
Q: I thought the FA school photo decks WKND boards with the girls were sort of similar. Not like a rip off but similar theme I guess.

A: I know Dill definitely hates WKND to the core. So much. He hates Grant and Raymond (Molinar) and that’s why it’s so funny that him and I get along because he hates what I ‘stand for’.
[close]
That was a while ago though, I feel like Wknd had established its brand image much better now compared to then and it's not just another small board company anymore.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2018, 07:31:36 AM »
Bill's Nine Club interview shows he has a lot of influence at FA and with Dill and AVE, like he's super involved in contributing ideas and getting in their heads about how/what to present. i could totally see him catalyzing a new brand with Austyn and maybe Sean. he did mention how he wanted to get Dylan, AO and Austyn together for a "Team Handsome" themed brand, maybe now is the time? maybe Blessed is the name of the new team, too? ???

If they move Sean over and call the company "Blessed," it's already dead to me.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2018, 07:35:55 AM »
Funeral house sounds like something Dill thought while taking a shit

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2018, 09:12:15 AM »
Blessed is a terrible name. Its some over used streetwear swagmaster giant rose on the shirt gold stiching tapout vibe shit. I swear Im seeing gas station hats and shirts left and right that say Blessed on them.

I believe in the separation of church and skate. I dont want any god shit, or being blessed by god shit around my skateboarding in anyway. I dont care for any satan shit either. Theres a few shops in this area that have a church angle to them and they are the lamest shops ever. one of them sells revive decks for full price lol, the only time ive ever seen one.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »
Bill Strobeck seems like a major douchebag and I can’t stand that super close style of filming that he is associated with.  I feel like I have to struggle to keep up with what exactly is going on.  When the board and the skater’s feet take up 60% of the screen, it’s hard to get a feel for the spot.

I will be very sad if Austyn’s footage will be shot this way.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
For what it's worth (which is probably not much) I can confirm Grant is a super nice dude who always responds to my emails and always takes time answer all questions that I might have. I don't appreciate FA/Hockey switching up and utilizing possibly cheaper board manufacturers at a time when they seem to be doing rather well, what with Rihanna wearing your shirts and all. WKND has remained with PS Stix and I certainly can appreciate that.

I was wondering if they recently switched woodshops. I was standing on the AA 'Carved' board at the shop and thought it felt different than the last run. There was no usual PS engraving on the top. And yeah FA seems to have some unlikely supporters aside from Rihanna. Serena Williams husband (the guy that started Reddit) was rocking a Dill FA shirt in some recent interview he gave.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was wondering if they recently switched woodshops. I was standing on the AA 'Carved' board at the shop and thought it felt different than the last run. There was no usual PS engraving on the top. And yeah FA seems to have some unlikely supporters aside from Rihanna. Serena Williams husband (the guy that started Reddit) was rocking a Dill FA shirt in some recent interview he gave.

Because he's a fuckin dork. Has no idea what he's wearing. He'd probably rock a NAMBLA shirt if you told him it was rare.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »
I’d be hyped on a new FA brand if it means they have skaters who actually skate. Half of FA and hockey don’t even skate. And when they do it’s at level of a flow dude for any of the major brands. Only person on FA worthy of being pro for skill is Tyshawn. Kevin Bradley would be if he actually skated instead of just hanging in Venice and being stoned. I saw Sean Pablo at some park here in LA and all he did was 50-50 and stroke his hair. I mean who has a launch ramp clip in a video in 2018? Bummed if FA stopped using PS Stix but all my FA boards are on the wall anyway. Skateboarding needs a purge. Since Instagram started it’s like it’s okay to be mediocre as long as you help sell the brand. I know that’s always been sort of the case but at least back in the day the wack guys still ripped hard enough to deserve a board.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.