Author Topic: austyn of wknd  (Read 83374 times)

puff daddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
Re: austyn of wknd
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »
I too have heard these rumors, something that is quite upsetting. I feel like it made too much sense that he rode for WKND, as they re a team that capitalizes off of fun, goofy ideas/concepts, and solid skating. I know Austyn was in Strobeck's latest story with Sean Pablo, and that sort of reconfirmed these rumors as I can't imagine those two would be hanging out unless something was up. I also can't help to think in that one video interview with Austyn, his mention of skating that gets attention but isn't actually on the level it should be was a jab at Pablo and NYC skating at times. However, I could be wrong. And I don't necessarily agree as I think Pablo has a place in skating...

no one got a screenshot of this ? this thread is 4 pages deep and theres still nothing to back any of this up besides hearsay

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »
Do you guys like philips head or Allen key hardware more?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

active_shooter

« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
Expand Quote
For what it's worth (which is probably not much) I can confirm Grant is a super nice dude who always responds to my emails and always takes time answer all questions that I might have. I don't appreciate FA/Hockey switching up and utilizing possibly cheaper board manufacturers at a time when they seem to be doing rather well, what with Rihanna wearing your shirts and all. WKND has remained with PS Stix and I certainly can appreciate that.
[close]

I was wondering if they recently switched woodshops. I was standing on the AA 'Carved' board at the shop and thought it felt different than the last run. There was no usual PS engraving on the top. And yeah FA seems to have some unlikely supporters aside from Rihanna. Serena Williams husband (the guy that started Reddit) was rocking a Dill FA shirt in some recent interview he gave.
As I understand it, if it's PS Stix, it will say so. When Dylan died, my friend hopped on Ebay and got a Dylan board, and much to his dismay it didn't have any PS Stix markings on it. I'm not sure if that just with FA and Hockey is still pressed by PS Stix. I wanted that "Carved" board, too.
Funeral House or Home or whatever is a terrible name. Blessed is worse. But nothing surprises me...

canadian tm

« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »
Expand Quote
I too have heard these rumors, something that is quite upsetting. I feel like it made too much sense that he rode for WKND, as they re a team that capitalizes off of fun, goofy ideas/concepts, and solid skating. I know Austyn was in Strobeck's latest story with Sean Pablo, and that sort of reconfirmed these rumors as I can't imagine those two would be hanging out unless something was up. I also can't help to think in that one video interview with Austyn, his mention of skating that gets attention but isn't actually on the level it should be was a jab at Pablo and NYC skating at times. However, I could be wrong. And I don't necessarily agree as I think Pablo has a place in skating...

[close]
no one got a screenshot of this ? this thread is 4 pages deep and theres still nothing to back any of this up besides hearsay

sean pablo burn board -

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:43:46 AM by canadian tm »

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For what it's worth (which is probably not much) I can confirm Grant is a super nice dude who always responds to my emails and always takes time answer all questions that I might have. I don't appreciate FA/Hockey switching up and utilizing possibly cheaper board manufacturers at a time when they seem to be doing rather well, what with Rihanna wearing your shirts and all. WKND has remained with PS Stix and I certainly can appreciate that.
[close]

I was wondering if they recently switched woodshops. I was standing on the AA 'Carved' board at the shop and thought it felt different than the last run. There was no usual PS engraving on the top. And yeah FA seems to have some unlikely supporters aside from Rihanna. Serena Williams husband (the guy that started Reddit) was rocking a Dill FA shirt in some recent interview he gave.
[close]
As I understand it, if it's PS Stix, it will say so. When Dylan died, my friend hopped on Ebay and got a Dylan board, and much to his dismay it didn't have any PS Stix markings on it. I'm not sure if that just with FA and Hockey is still pressed by PS Stix. I wanted that "Carved" board, too.
Funeral House or Home or whatever is a terrible name. Blessed is worse. But nothing surprises me...
I have the AA carved and it is not ps stix. it says made in mexico and has the punch mark(sorry not up on the wood anymore). I had a fitz earlier this year that was a stix.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2018, 11:25:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
I have the AA carved and it is not ps stix. it says made in mexico and has the punch mark(sorry not up on the wood anymore). I had a fitz earlier this year that was a stix.

There was a thread about FA/Hockey wood a while back, not that it helps. I've had PS and what I assumed was BBS wood, within weeks of each other.

I thought I remembered someone saying PS might've been having trouble keeping up with the demand. At that point, perhaps Dill sourced some through BBS. Who knows...

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2018, 11:39:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

There was a thread about FA/Hockey wood a while back, not that it helps. I've had PS and what I assumed was BBS wood, within weeks of each other.

I thought I remembered someone saying PS might've been having trouble keeping up with the demand. At that point, perhaps Dill sourced some through BBS. Who knows...

yeah a lot of the latest FA/Hockey decks are pressed at BBS. Pretty much based on which factory can keep up with the demand and I think it may depend on who's pro deck it is as well.

se7en3two

« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »
If there's any truth to restricting sale through a shops online store it's probably to somewhat safeguard against someone buying in bulk to resell.

If FA is so popular to sell out product so quickly it benefits the shop to require people to step foot inside...

A Jenkem article from a while back, quoted Jaime Thomas suggesting the idea of direct sales. Selling direct to consumer (like everything else these days) cuts the middle man and will increase profit margins.

The impact on skateshops or perception at least, is where it gets interesting I'd assume. They can sell, but only via walk-ins. Now they've set the stage...

Dill, perhaps using the hype of somewhat limited runs and manufactured exclusiveness almost fits this to a T... Plus he's the guy who's not been shy about charging $55-60, where everyone else was static at $50/board.

So far, it seems to be working- if that's what he's up to.

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
Expand Quote
If there's any truth to restricting sale through a shops online store it's probably to somewhat safeguard against someone buying in bulk to resell.

If FA is so popular to sell out product so quickly it benefits the shop to require people to step foot inside...
[close]

A Jenkem article from a while back, quoted Jaime Thomas suggesting the idea of direct sales. Selling direct to consumer (like everything else these days) cuts the middle man and will increase profit margins.

The impact on skateshops or perception at least, is where it gets interesting I'd assume. They can sell, but only via walk-ins. Now they've set the stage...

Dill, perhaps using the hype of somewhat limited runs and manufactured exclusiveness almost fits this to a T... Plus he's the guy who's not been shy about charging $55-60, where everyone else was static at $50/board.

So far, it seems to be working- if that's what he's up to.

this all depends on how you look at it. first he found a way to change the game from the big distros and the tired old brands and take it back to a fully independent skater run operation and did it very well.

also the "limited runs and manufactured exclusiveness" while not exactly "wrong" could also be seen as smart allocation of resources from a business standpoint. they're managing liquidity.

their shit doesn't sell out in <2 min like supreme stuff but they're pretty guarded against sitting on inventory and putting things on sale. it's really just a streamlined business model that works in today's economy which I respect a lot.

ftr, fa's aesthetic is not at all my thing I've only bought a couple things here and there but I do admire what they're doing as a company.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2018, 07:47:57 PM »
I think the direct to consumer thing has worked well. Then again I’ve paid the seven dollars in shipping on stuff that I could drive to the warehouse and get just to avoid having stepping foot in supreme.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2018, 09:47:22 PM »
FA's team is a representation of what Dill, AVE, and Bill think is cool in skateboarding right now. It is a skateboard company, owned by two iconic skateboarders. This is true of Dill and AVE whether you like them and their skating or not.

Telling shops to sell FA product on location instead of online generally means people go to a skate shop if they want FA product (with the obvious alternative being buying directly from FA).You'd have to conclude that this leads to more people going to a physical store, likely owned by skateboarders, thereby creating opportunities for people to buy other product.

Critique on the boutique style of marketing, piled out riders, and active riders that aren't exactly Ishod is valid. That being said, hating on FA seems like dismissing good in the pursuit of perfection.
MN -> IL

euro tm

« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2018, 09:59:16 PM »
FA's team is a representation of what Dill, AVE, and Bill think is cool in skateboarding right now. It is a skateboard company, owned by two iconic skateboarders. This is true of Dill and AVE whether you like them and their skating or not.

Telling shops to sell FA product on location instead of online generally means people go to a skate shop if they want FA product (with the obvious alternative being buying directly from FA).You'd have to conclude that this leads to more people going to a physical store, likely owned by skateboarders, thereby creating opportunities for people to buy other product.

Critique on the boutique style of marketing, piled out riders, and active riders that aren't exactly Ishod is valid. That being said, hating on FA seems like dismissing good in the pursuit of perfection.

i get what you’re saying. that’s a positive way to look at it. but if a shop is going to carry your brand a support it, they should have the choice to sell or not sell that product online.

se7en3two

« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2018, 03:40:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i get what you’re saying. that’s a positive way to look at it. but if a shop is going to carry your brand a support it, they should have the choice to sell or not sell that product online.

Kids want FA and shops need to stay relevant, it’s the demand allowing Dill to implement his version of a non-compete agreement. This stuff is gonna sell (at least for now) regardless and he’s forcing all traffic with the highest margins to buy direct.

Nothing lasts forever though.

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2018, 07:37:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Plus buying a board from a skateshop's website is still directly supporting the shop. If FA/Hockey were really going for the 'support your core shops' narrative, they'd do what DOA does and only sell softgoods on their website, and direct customers trying to buy online to a shops website instead.
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

active_shooter

« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2018, 09:22:38 AM »
Does anybody feel like Austyn skates so much better than the rest of WKND? And not to take anything away from Jordan Taylor or Malouf or anybody else, but it seems like an MLB baseball pro hanging out with some dudes from the minors. If he has left WKND, and it doesn't look like he has as he is still on the website, then this wouldn't change if he was to be on some FA affiliated team. He simply outskates most other skaters on most teams.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2018, 09:28:31 AM »
Does anybody feel like Austyn skates so much better than the rest of WKND? And not to take anything away from Jordan Taylor or Malouf or anybody else, but it seems like an MLB baseball pro hanging out with some dudes from the minors. If he has left WKND, and it doesn't look like he has as he is still on the website, then this wouldn't change if he was to be on some FA affiliated team. He simply outskates most other skaters on most teams.

Hot take- Austyn is one of the best skaters in the world right now. 

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »
Anyone remember when Humidity jokingly clowned on FA when they started using Instagram and they straight up stopped selling to them? That shit was petty as hell and definitely ended any support I had for FA. I mean, they stopped selling boards to the shop nearest to me that was stocking them so I couldn't really support them even if I still wanted to.

CHOW

• Rep: -6
  • ice like winnipeg
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
That was my first thought when he got on. The rest of those dudes are mostly on the same level and I really enjoy their skating, but Austyn is an all-time great and his footage occasionally looks out of place.

Hot take- Austyn is one of the best skaters in the world right now. 
This take is lukewarm. Austyn is in rare air. He's been putting out real parts for 10 years and appears to be in his prime.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
Numbers. confirmed

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2018, 01:00:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Plus buying a board from a skateshop's website is still directly supporting the shop. If FA/Hockey were really going for the 'support your core shops' narrative, they'd do what DOA does and only sell softgoods on their website, and direct customers trying to buy online to a shops website instead.

since we're on the subject of direct sales, dwindle has cleverly setup a bullshit online store thats basically direct sales called thank you supply. so big distros are absolutely getting in on this.

https://thankyousupply.com/

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »

That's a perfect analogy with that WKND/Sandlot ad playing in my head lol.

On that note, I feel like a lot of these trendy/fashion-associated brands have rosters like this. Palace, FA, 917, the OG Welcome, etc. A video where both Lucas Puig part and Prawn Showers have parts is pretty incongruous.

cloudy

« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2018, 01:34:10 PM »
Expand Quote
If you can afford to do it until one of them sticks/blows up, why not? Surely FA and Hockey are not on everyone's radar (and not to the level that Dill perhaps thought it would be?). Besides, the industry is dominated by the distribution house's brands.
[close]
FA and Hockey are absolutely on the level Dill thought it would be, considering that they're able to pick and choose which shops carry their shit. Do you know how hard it is to get an FA board in NYC? Their only account in the 5 boroughs is Supreme. They're not looking to have a giant market share like Deluxe and NHS. They have barely any overhead and they sell through their limited stock at a premium, all while their riders are getting wined, dined, flown around the world, and promoted by their shoe sponsors and Supreme. Dill and AVE are probably making money hand over fist.

posted today on business insider - https://www.businessinsider.com/vans-shoes-popular-with-teens-2018-7

"We visited the Vans store in Union Square in Manhattan."

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »
I heard AA wanted hockey sold in places that sold Anti Hero boards so he can make better money off royalties. That’s why Hockey was/is sold at places like skatewarehouse, while FA isn’t.

CHOW

• Rep: -6
  • ice like winnipeg
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
That's technically not FA, but jesus fucking christ, that's wack. I hope that's exclusive to the Union Square store.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
Def seen FA boards at the Philly Vans store.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's a perfect analogy with that WKND/Sandlot ad playing in my head lol.

On that note, I feel like a lot of these trendy/fashion-associated brands have rosters like this. Palace, FA, 917, the OG Welcome, etc. A video where both Lucas Puig part and Prawn Showers have parts is pretty incongruous.
I'd say the big difference between some of those examples and Austyn compared to WKND, is that Prawn Showers is the exception. Like Lucas is on his way to being a legend, but it is not like Danny Brady, Chewy and Lucien don't also kill it.

Every brand generally has a weak link or two. I mean, OG Chocolate had Chico, Gabriel, Gino, Keenan, Mulder killing it and then had little Daniel.

BigManTing

• Rep: 0
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2018, 03:32:55 AM »
i agree that it doesnt affect dylan at all its just weird to me to think of riders and companies (austyn/dill/fa) that were so close with him and the word funeral. im not saying there is anything wrong with it. just makes me feel sad.

So your saying they shouldn't call their company Funeral Home cos their mate died? C'mon man, stop being a dingus.

Expand Quote
is there any actual reliable sales data out there? all day on slap there's people talking about how well Brand X is selling/Brand Z isn't/etc etc but these comments don't seem to be informed by anything beyond the limited scope of what they personally see at their local shop/park or just adding to the slap echo chamber
[close]
Well, in the case of Palace which is the brand I mentioned, I'd say its the rapid expansion and how written and talked about it is. Now, a bunch of the success like Supreme is driven by people who don't skateboard. This is also reflected in the re-sale market of these items.

Since almost all of these brands are privately owned, its hard to get any concrete info on them.

Is it? https://companycheck.co.uk/company/08253929/PALACE-SKATEBOARDS-LIMITED/companies-house-data

Safe to say, Palace are killing it.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »
i just feel like he's such a better fit on krooked

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2018, 09:17:51 AM »
Def seen FA boards at the Philly Vans store.

Skate shop at the Huntington Beach vans shop carries FA and hockey. But I always figured that’s cause they both ride for vans.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »
i just feel like he's such a better fit on krooked
or chocolate