Author Topic: Good places to relocate for skateboarding?  (Read 7206 times)

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
Re: Good places to relocate for skateboarding?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »
nah, i went to vancouver once and there was a street-ish course in white cement and a giant white bowl and adults cheering a trashy teen as he smashed a little kid's bike into the bowl repeatedly. idk if it was punishment to some kid who ran afoul or just senseless wreck but sort of an intimidating scene out of gummo or some shit.
another time couldn't get a ride outta jubitz for 3 days so walked the bridge outta portland into wa and theres' little brick hubbas on the promised land side.
did my stupid ex wanna hold the camera so i could skate them?
no.
no she did not.
but we got a ride right away then dropped of when we didn't have the drug marijuana.
That's a bummer I have run into nothing but trouble in Vancouver,Wa my buddy Jeff was doing tattoos there in the smallish DT area, Volksfront are many many deep there, I do not get it being a skin period racist or not seems like apples and oranges. The park was alright I got a few shits here and there, I think I know what hubba you are talking about. Seems to me the outside areas of whatever town you find some unique interesting spots.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Asheville NC, it's Portland of the south.
[close]

Asheville is sick but there's a bunch of phony REI hippies kinda blowing that area up and there isn't legal weed out there

I agree with this as well.

I'd still recommend Asheville because its relatively affordable and there is good scene out there. Plus if you aren't feeling skating anymore you still got tons of dope outdoorsy stuff to do.

5 years ago I would've recommend the triangle area of NC, but they're going through a weird identity crisis where the area doesn't know if it's a fake Austin TX or a budget Northern VA

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
  Currently living in a small town in upper Michigan, and I'm ready to follow my heart and relocate somewhere with better weather and skating. Oregon seems like a solid choice after a little googling, but was hoping to get some feedback from the skate community. I dont care if its a major city or not, just hoping to find a place with a decent job market,  good parks and street spots, and milder weather. Thanks in advance for any info.
[close]
Oregon is rad, do it. If you don't care about being in the city (Portland, in this case) then I'd recommend Eugene or that area. It's big enough that there's lots of jobs but not TOO big. They built a really amazing new park under a bridge and it's huge. There's also some cool street spots and a decent skate scene there. I grew up in a similar sized town in Washington and it's a good time.
[close]

Yo Pappy where did you grow up at if you don't mind me asking, I grew up in Maple Valley.
[close]
I'm from Olympia. Live in Seattle now. You stick around the area?
[close]

are you a geoduck?
Ha! I can't claim to be but I definitely have logged some hours using the school's equipment to capture footage when my capture cams broke or hanging out with girls I dated who were students there. There's also some spots. Am I talking to an alumni?

shark tits

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 10:18:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
  Currently living in a small town in upper Michigan, and I'm ready to follow my heart and relocate somewhere with better weather and skating. Oregon seems like a solid choice after a little googling, but was hoping to get some feedback from the skate community. I dont care if its a major city or not, just hoping to find a place with a decent job market,  good parks and street spots, and milder weather. Thanks in advance for any info.
[close]
Oregon is rad, do it. If you don't care about being in the city (Portland, in this case) then I'd recommend Eugene or that area. It's big enough that there's lots of jobs but not TOO big. They built a really amazing new park under a bridge and it's huge. There's also some cool street spots and a decent skate scene there. I grew up in a similar sized town in Washington and it's a good time.
[close]

Yo Pappy where did you grow up at if you don't mind me asking, I grew up in Maple Valley.
[close]
[close]

are you a geoduck?
[close]
Ha! I can't claim to be but I definitely have logged some hours using the school's equipment to capture footage when my capture cams broke or hanging out with girls I dated who were students there. There's also some spots. Am I talking to an alumni?
i never matriculated but i did live at the mods w/ a girl for a while [then w/ exchange students].
usedta skate the hockey arena there during the rain. i love OlyWa! seals on the 4th street bridge, eating blackberries and that yellow flatbar [might be blue now] on 4th st.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

• Rep: 6
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
I've been following this thread as I have the itch to get up and move again. What are people's thoughts on ATL?

Skating in Dallas is pretty great, rent's cheap, but not much to look at in regard to nature :( Figured I'd throw that one out here for you all.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
I've been following this thread as I have the itch to get up and move again. What are people's thoughts on ATL?

Skating in Dallas is pretty great, rent's cheap, but not much to look at in regard to nature :( Figured I'd throw that one out here for you all.

and your living in dallas...

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 02:19:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Asheville NC, it's Portland of the south.
[close]

Asheville is sick but there's a bunch of phony REI hippies kinda blowing that area up and there isn't legal weed out there
[close]

I agree with this as well.

I'd still recommend Asheville because its relatively affordable and there is good scene out there. Plus if you aren't feeling skating anymore you still got tons of dope outdoorsy stuff to do.

5 years ago I would've recommend the triangle area of NC, but they're going through a weird identity crisis where the area doesn't know if it's a fake Austin TX or a budget Northern VA

hmm neat
we are relocating to nc, potentially part of the triangle but have yet to check asheville
lease ends in august were already packed up

change is good

methamketamine

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 07:43:26 AM »
Ashvilles like a magical hippy forrest, Raleighs kinda dirty but has mad different sections, carys new and nice with bland shopping shit, Durham.. nah, unless your a hipster gentrifiyer type. Apex is small town nature.

If you move to triangle you can hit me up if you wanna skate, I'm actually pretty normal.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 04:12:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

are you a geoduck?
[close]

Yeah I moved up to Seattle 6 years ago, I live like a 4 minute walk from Benefit down in the southside. Never got to spend much time in Oly, only when I was taking short breaks from Job Corps to see family. Seems like a dope town though just met a guy from there at a hostel in Austin.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2018, 04:15:52 PM »

I was in ATL a week or two ago. Its a pretty dope city but the transit isn’t great and its spread out. Only hit one park for 5 minutes (got rained out) but the park looked sick had like 3 bowls and a nice little flow area. I dont know about the street skating though.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 06:43:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was in ATL a week or two ago. Its a pretty dope city but the transit isn’t great and its spread out. Only hit one park for 5 minutes (got rained out) but the park looked sick had like 3 bowls and a nice little flow area. I dont know about the street skating though.

I like Atlanta. You can get around with public transit although it's true that you're better off with a car. There's plenty of cool spots and skateparks all over the place if you're willing to drive to them and plenty of other stuff to get into as well. Drive two hours north and you're in a beautiful mountainous area. You also get 4 even seasons there. Summer can be ass but spring and autumn are nice with winter being bearable most of the time.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 08:38:31 AM »
Since the Midwest/Great Lakes region is rarely mentioned, I’m going drop my 2 cents. Specifically Ohio/Michigan Feel free this talk shit about weather, fat people, single moms with neck/hand tattoos, bad food, crusty ground, etc.

The good things are

Cheap rent/housing
Unseen spots
Some good parks
Actually good food (best middle eastern food in the US in Detroit/Ann Arbor/Toledo)
Decent economy (it’s coming back)
Best craft beers even though I quit drinking.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
the fbi is hiring special agents in hawaii right now ..
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

RowdyReptilian

• Rep: 0
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 05:17:49 PM »
Phoenix!

Pecos + Desert West + Tempe Skatepark + lots of homeless people to darkslide = perfection

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »
You people mentioning Eugene as a location. How do you handle the fucking rain in the fall/winter? True, they have an under bridge skate park that's pretty sick, but it's not fully covered and gets pretty soaked when it rains. I currently living in Portland and get super bummed in the fall/winter. I moved here last year from a dry climate region and it sucks having to adjust to weeks of non stop rain haha.