Author Topic: High tech decks  (Read 3424 times)

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
High tech decks
« on: June 20, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »
So I have been fucking with lithe, heavyweights real deck, Lib tech and have found some interesting results. I’m a mild 210lbs not sure metric system anyways. I break boards a lot and have been investing my research for heftier dudes. Well the Lithe was a kick down kinda trade, for some decent weed the heavyweights is boss as fuck and the Libtech is holding well. I am not good at posting videos or sorting out pictures on the board. All boards are still functioning and some have razor tail but definitely haven’t broken the tail or nose and it’s been 3 months on Real board and stoked the others are top notch slid down a bit but no chips and fractures. I think they’re worth it, anyone else have any experience? Please share......
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: High tech decks
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 03:50:47 AM »
the year was 2008. i was 14. i got an almost cooper wilt "cars" complete for my birthday, double impact deck with some tensor magnesium lo sliders and i want to say some cored wheels? not the greatest choice but after a year of skating a hand me down zero complete i was hyped. it was snowing mad heavy on some citizen kane shit so i wrapped my board up in rubbish bags and carried it down to "the apartments" which was basically just this sheltered probably 10ftx10ft dry patch of flat with some curbs. i had just recently learned 5050s but hadnt skated in a while so i roll up to it pretending to be mike mo in my lakai manchesters having just seen fully flared for the first time, pop, land on the curb and yeah basically i slipped the fuck out and the board shot into a main road and got ran over by a bus resulting in me going home in tears.

Skate_lurker_Rob

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 03:56:27 AM »
the year was 2008. i was 14. i got an almost cooper wilt "cars" complete for my birthday, double impact deck with some tensor magnesium lo sliders and i want to say some cored wheels? not the greatest choice but after a year of skating a hand me down zero complete i was hyped. it was snowing mad heavy on some citizen kane shit so i wrapped my board up in rubbish bags and carried it down to "the apartments" which was basically just this sheltered probably 10ftx10ft dry patch of flat with some curbs. i had just recently learned 5050s but hadnt skated in a while so i roll up to it pretending to be mike mo in my lakai manchesters having just seen fully flared for the first time, pop, land on the curb and yeah basically i slipped the fuck out and the board shot into a main road and got ran over by a bus resulting in me going home in tears.
Board shooting out is a bummer, had that happen a few times in LA and SB.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 05:41:18 AM »
I've been curious about some of the tech out there.  It just never seems to really catch on though.  That got me to wondering; What would it take for you to buy into new board technology?

Longer life at a cheaper price?
A certain pro or pros endorsing it, not for the money, actually using it and saying "this or nothing"?
exact feel in pop and slide and weight as maple?
Proven to have better pop, slide and endurance to maple?

For me, I think it would be a matter of price and feel.  I'm really not that good and I'm old (42) and I've only broken 2 or 3 boards ever (I don't focus).  Especially nowadays as little as I get to skate, a deck lasts me a really long time.  I have about 5 that are all in great condition just because I wanted to try something different (size, shape, brand, etc.)

If I could get a deck with equal or better pop that's the same weight or lighter than 7 ply maple at or around that price point that is guaranteed to last 2 or 3 times as long, I'd at least buy it to give it a shot.  But it would also depend on reviews.  I'd want to get opinions of skaters who've ridden it that are better than me. 

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

ungzilla

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 06:58:48 AM »
I’m a mild 210lbs not sure metric system anyways.

15 stones bro

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »
As for something like p2 or powell's flight boards - I'd say if the majority of the team rode them, and some pros who were w/out a board sponsor chose to ride them too, I might give it a go.

Skate_lurker_Rob

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:31:32 AM »
well for myself I wanted a deck that could withstand abit of abuse weight wise, so far the heavyweights are my shit. the Lithe one is amazing it's gives a little but ultimately I am satisfied. the next board I am interested in is the flight deck from Powell Peralta . Yeah the newer board technology seems gimmicky and why try to reinvent the wheel as the saying goes, I would gladly give my money to a board company that finally does it right and has a killer shape like a Real full shape or a Plan B type of nose and tail. The Lithe board I have is smaller then I'd ride an 8" but if it were a 8.25" or 8.5" that'd be my board for life hands down.....

SJ

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 07:49:59 AM »
As for something like p2 or powell's flight boards - I'd say if the majority of the team rode them, and some pros who were w/out a board sponsor chose to ride them too, I might give it a go.

I don't know about the rest of the team but I know Cab and Mcclain only ride the flight decks now

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know about the rest of the team but I know Cab and Mcclain only ride the flight decks now

How do we know Powell isn't just giving their pro's regular decks with the flight graphic on them as part of their marketing push.

• Rep: -42
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 08:38:59 AM »
I've skated a few p2s and they hold their pop extremely well. The problem is the carbon isn't the full top sheet so the nose and tail chip quick. I've heard the flight decks basically solve that problem so go give em a try.
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

SJ

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 09:39:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How do we know Powell isn't just giving their pro's regular decks with the flight graphic on them as part of their marketing push.

Because the holocaust never happened.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
I've skated the flight decks and I'd I got them for the same price they'd be in my mix....or if I broke boards.

I don't think culturally skaters will adopt to spending more money on decks.  That said I don't think it's crazy to consider off shore manufacturing with new materials.  That's kinda what dwindle is doing. 

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2198
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »
Thought this thread was about getting high and fingerboarding.

Skate_lurker_Rob

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »
I've skated the flight decks and I'd I got them for the same price they'd be in my mix....or if I broke boards..
How'd they hold up and were they worth the extra bit of coin? I am genuinely wanting to hear all sides.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:52:54 AM »
I was really interested in the Powell flight decks.   A while back, I talked to a kid skating one at the local park.  He was pretty good and had a smooth style.  I asked him about the board.  He said it was really durable.  It was starting to razor tail a bit and he said it was chipping on the nose and tail a little.  He actually said he wasn't really happy with it but money was tight and he said couldn't get another until he's worn this one out, so the extra durability of it was bumming him out a bit lol.

I just hate to spend that much for it and end up hating the shape, wheelbase, nose/tail, etc.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 11:30:16 AM »
I was hoping for a bong that had a tech deck sized gyroscope thingy like Chris Gentry is selling in the middle of it that spins as you punch one down.

Skate_lurker_Rob

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »

I just hate to spend that much for it and end up hating the shape, wheelbase, nose/tail, etc.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is exactly why I have done research and wanting to hear others opinions, I got a libtech as a part of boredom and it was on sale probably the price of a shop deck with fancy grip. It has served me well only thing I have changed was the grip and that's been twice so far. The heavyweights Real deck is thicker but it has been the closest to any of those fancy brands. I sometimes am heavy on fs tricks or the tail is the focal point of my problem when not landing bots. So in a way these fancy boards just give me leeway to having a sketchy style and not break my shit.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 01:56:50 PM »
I basically don’t break boards so for me to be interested in a new technology it would have to a) Wear slower/feel new longer (would possibly accept a higher price) or b) Feel the same as your average BBS wood but be made of a more sustainable material (and cost no more than wood).

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
I like how stiff P2s and flights are; the flights wear down a bit fast if you're shit at manuals but otherwise they last (especially in a park setting). It was really hard to go back to the feel of a regular deck after riding the flights.

Flight dims are pretty standard but the shapes are their own thing.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:59:47 AM by Xen »

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »
I had a Lib Tech a long time ago. Shit got run over by a car and was still totally skateable. Maybe theres something to it?

hey pickle

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
Expand Quote
I've skated the flight decks and I'd I got them for the same price they'd be in my mix....or if I broke boards..
[close]
How'd they hold up and were they worth the extra bit of coin? I am genuinely wanting to hear all sides.

I razor boards and don't weigh anything so to me they were a bit lighter....didn't sog out and I believe if you break boards they are a good way to go, they weren't crazy stiff like P2.

I do think they can make a board which uses materials that last longer than wood.  Chapman did one before with a plastic piece, Schmidt did the bumper board.  The wear bevel is a huge pop killer.....

Boards are way better than 20 years ago but this is about as good as wood gets, it's time to change...

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 02:19:50 AM »
https://www.prosk8.se/i/technology.html
Seen a few brasilians skating those boards in Barcelona

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 06:47:28 AM »
Wish those flight decks came in 7.75. So would... I know, trends... and could cut it down but wary of lathing carbon fibre :/

I don't think even with mad washers and skinny axle nuts I can stretch my ventures & wheels to the board edge right.