Author Topic: Bankrupt The Industry  (Read 8450 times)

sluggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -407
Bankrupt The Industry
« on: June 21, 2018, 06:31:52 PM »
Since it seems many of you want to destroy the skate industry there is a very easy way.

As Don Brown tells it:

"The company that owns this building saw the @themuska @esskateboarding ad in @transworldskate and sued éS for damages to the marble handrail... I believe it cost is around $30k to settle ... but a photo of #TheMuska is priceless... we got a bargain price ...Front 5-0, 180 out"

So, have every property owner and company sue or threaten to sue every sponsor for damages and it will all be done.

You would even get a little percentage of each settlement.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Bankrupt The Industry
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »
Where did that footage end up? Was it in “life in the fast lane”?

SlappyBum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 07:14:00 PM »
Since it seems many of you want to destroy the skate industry there is a very easy way.

As Don Brown tells it:

"The company that owns this building saw the @themuska @esskateboarding ad in @transworldskate and sued éS for damages to the marble handrail... I believe it cost is around $30k to settle ... but a photo of #TheMuska is priceless... we got a bargain price ...Front 5-0, 180 out"

So, have every property owner and company sue or threaten to sue every sponsor for damages and it will all be done.

Actually not the worst idea other than the blowback that would fall on the activity that is skateboarding

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1218
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:14:13 PM »
I have always wondered why this doesn’t seem to ever happen.  I’m no lawyer, but couldn’t a case be made that when a big company like Nike commissions a skate video which it uses to help sell their stuff, doesn’t that kind of make them responsible in some way?

With board companies, they probably don’t have enough assets to make them worth suing, but Nike or Adidas is a different story.

I’ve wondered if now that skating is creeping into the broader culture if property owners will start trying to lawyer up if they find out their property ended up being used in promotional material for Nike, especially since a skate video could be thought of as a collection of video clips of crimes being committed.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Doroteo Arango

• Rep: -26
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
nike probably gets permits for everything they skate in their videos

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 07:18:19 PM »

As Don Brown tells it:

Lawful Evil

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:21:28 PM »
maybe cause skate doesn't destroy, it only leaves black marks and dirty rainbows?
or proving that a particular trick is what caused a particular bit of wreckage might be hard.
idk, it would end skating as we know it, for sure.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »
The permit idea would be crazy.  I know they got a permit when Sheckler did that live thing and got hurt and Thrasher has done it for contests.  I’m sure there’s plenty of examples that I don’t know about.

Also the thing about not being able to prove that the trick in the video is an interesting argument, but if a property has a no skateboarding sign and there is footage of skating there, wouldn’t that count as trespassing?

Also think about the how companies will sometimes settle with the plaintiff just to avoid legal fees and bad PR even if they could win a court case.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
trespassing is a petty misdemeanor punishable by no more than 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine.
that would dent a pro's pocket but not a corporation and since corporation's aren't people, they can't trespass, only the skater can.
also, the fine goes the government, not the 'victim' building/bannister/whatever.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »
But if that’s the case, why is eS on the line for the money and not Chad?

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 07:48:37 PM »
for damages, not trespass. i think a good lawyer should've beat the case. did they put in new hubbas?
where's brink, we aren't getting the whole story.

SlappyBum

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 10:09:26 PM »
trespassing is a petty misdemeanor punishable by no more than 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine.
that would dent a pro's pocket but not a corporation and since corporation's aren't people, they can't trespass, only the skater can.
also, the fine goes the government, not the 'victim' building/bannister/whatever.

Pretty sure ronald reagans dickhead ass actually turned corporations into people but dont quote me

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 10:24:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty sure ronald reagans dickhead ass actually turned corporations into people but dont quote me

Yea, I would not quote you.

In a U.S. historical context, the phrase 'Corporate Personhood' refers to the ongoing legal debate over the extent to which rights traditionally associated with natural persons should also be afforded to corporations. A headnote issued by the Court Reporter in the 1886 Supreme Court case Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad Co. claimed to state the sense of the Court regarding the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as it applies to corporations, without the Court having actually made a decision or issued a written opinion on that issue. This was the first time that the Supreme Court was reported to hold that the Fourteenth Amendment's equal protection clause granted constitutional protections to corporations as well as to natural persons, although numerous other cases, since Dartmouth College v. Woodward in 1819, had recognized that corporations were entitled to some of the protections of the Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:27:09 PM by sluggers »

SlappyBum

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 11:06:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yea, I would not quote you.

In a U.S. historical context, the phrase 'Corporate Personhood' refers to the ongoing legal debate over the extent to which rights traditionally associated with natural persons should also be afforded to corporations. A headnote issued by the Court Reporter in the 1886 Supreme Court case Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad Co. claimed to state the sense of the Court regarding the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as it applies to corporations, without the Court having actually made a decision or issued a written opinion on that issue. This was the first time that the Supreme Court was reported to hold that the Fourteenth Amendment's equal protection clause granted constitutional protections to corporations as well as to natural persons, although numerous other cases, since Dartmouth College v. Woodward in 1819, had recognized that corporations were entitled to some of the protections of the Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

Public school has failed

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 09:17:34 AM »
I have always wondered why this doesn’t seem to ever happen.  I’m no lawyer, but couldn’t a case be made that when a big company like Nike commissions a skate video which it uses to help sell their stuff, doesn’t that kind of make them responsible in some way?

With board companies, they probably don’t have enough assets to make them worth suing, but Nike or Adidas is a different story.

I’ve wondered if now that skating is creeping into the broader culture if property owners will start trying to lawyer up if they find out their property ended up being used in promotional material for Nike, especially since a skate video could be thought of as a collection of video clips of crimes being committed.

I'm sorry, did you not see ANYTHING about 35th North Skateshop in Seattle being sued by the city for building a DIY spot that was part of a Nike run DIY contest? 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 01:55:01 PM »
But if that’s the case, why is eS on the line for the money and not Chad?

im guessing because es published the "vandalism" for profit

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 02:06:40 PM »
Crossing the line, completely snitching

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
Expand Quote
As Don Brown tells it:

[close]

this is what happened to the hip-hop industry when people started successfully suing for samples, that made it impossible to create another nation of millions, pauls boutique, or 3ft high and rising.

in skating it happened before where lawsuits and insurance companies basically shut down all the 1970s skateparks
Yeah what's kinda weird is sampling is more expensive than ever but the music industry is pretty dead,you'd think these older groups would practically be giving these samples away for a few thousand here and there.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm sorry, did you not see ANYTHING about 35th North Skateshop in Seattle being sued by the city for building a DIY spot that was part of a Nike run DIY contest?

Why do you have a mean tone?

Hoeboi

• Rep: -362
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 03:05:35 PM »
yall really wanna bankrupt the industry just kill yourselves, less skaters equals less consumers equals less money for the industry. very easy. also there will be a positive side effect of less dweebs on the planet earth.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »
yall really wanna bankrupt the industry just kill yourselves, less skaters equals less consumers equals less money for the industry. very easy. also there will be a positive side effect of less dweebs on the planet earth.
Kill yo self

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 770
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »

great first post

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »

Is it me, or does this also have a bit of a nasty tone to it as well?  I understand and respect your point that we should all go kill ourselves, but there’s no need to be rude about it.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 06:21:40 PM »

you first. we promise we’ll do it right after.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -362
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 08:02:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

trust me i think about doing it all the time, but not because i hate the industry, but because i hate myself

shark tits

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 08:10:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

trust me i think about doing it all the time, but not because i hate the industry, but because i hate myself
"i hate you motherfuckers, i hate you motherfuckers, i hate you motherfuckers.
my mind's a machine gun, my body's the bullets and the industry is the target."

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 08:14:26 PM »
GG   8)

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
so how you going to get municipalities to sue all the fuck ass companies where all they skate is curbs and flat?

I swear on all fuck if this shit puts Frog and Revive at the top I’ll be orally copulating my Remington 870 willfully.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 01:30:14 PM »
I don’t think he made that 5-0
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »
The permit idea would be crazy.  I know they got a permit when Sheckler did that live thing and got hurt and Thrasher has done it for contests.  I’m sure there’s plenty of examples that I don’t know about.

Also the thing about not being able to prove that the trick in the video is an interesting argument, but if a property has a no skateboarding sign and there is footage of skating there, wouldn’t that count as trespassing?

Also think about the how companies will sometimes settle with the plaintiff just to avoid legal fees and bad PR even if they could win a court case.
Shane O'neill and P-Rod's stuff at that LA triple set. Shane switch 360 flipped it and P-Rod switch Hardflipped it.

Although, this is an absolutely terrible idea. Pretty much everything that got sued for and replaced, would be replaced with skate-stoppers.