Author Topic: Marie Dabbadie - Is skateboarding still norm breaking?  (Read 10799 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
Marie Dabbadie - Is skateboarding still norm breaking?
« on: June 22, 2018, 06:55:25 AM »
http://www.freeskatemag.com/2018/06/22/is-skateboarding-still-norm-breaking/

Marie discusses some interesting points about acceptance in skateboarding and their own unique identity and some of skateboardings other problematic issues

newMe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Marie Dabbadie - Is skateboarding still norm breaking?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 07:00:04 AM »
This was excellent. Well done Marie!

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:02:11 AM »
Such an important read, thanks for posting this

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -61
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:02:27 AM »
Marie discusses some interesting points about acceptance in skateboarding and their own unique identity and some of skateboardings other problematic issues

Yes.Yes she does.
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
I don't understand why someone should get special treatment in skateboarding because of who they are. Whether or not the skating looks dope should be the only criteria.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 10:00:07 AM »
born free :)

“ Skateboarding is not actually breaking norms anymore but instead often perpetuating archaics of patriarchy and oppression. “

“If skateboarding welcomed you when you felt like an outcast or a weirdo in the world, maybe it’s time to think on how you could make skateboarding more welcoming to other minorities.“

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »
I don't understand why someone should get special treatment in skateboarding because of who they are. Whether or not the skating looks dope should be the only criteria.

you either didn't read the whole article or missed the point entirely 

SlappyBum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 10:12:21 AM »
This was good thank you for posting

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 10:16:10 AM »

it's not special treatment at all, there's a part of skateboarding that hasn't ever really had any real coverage and people are starting to take it into their own hands to show their representation of skateboarding as it relates to themselves.  I think it's cool.

And with regards to the skating "looking dope", so if someone doesn't look "dope" they shouldn't do it?  Most other big sports represent plenty of different aspects of society. The NBA/WNBA, MLS/WMLS, tennis, National Wheelchari Basketball Association, the Special Olympics, etc., Just because they may not be as "good" or as "dope" or "stylish" doesn't mean they shouldn't get coverage or be represented.  That's just narrow minded thinking, man. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »
I despise the theoretic background that this talk was founded on. It is just super weird that theories which used to be anti-identity politics were turned into a new way of doing identity politics. And using expressions like white priviledge and non-binary gender categories is not really against any real dominating norms of western societies.
Big American companies have no problems includinge them if you just look at google for example. As a matter of fact it fits perfectly into current norms of modern consumer culture: "You identify as a vegan trans person? Perfect, try our new line of trans clothing and we also have a vegan lattes in our customer friendly safe space". What? You don't have any money? You think shopping is stupid? Who are you? Get the fuck out of here! 

Having said that. You have to respect her for speaking about her own experience in skating and I agree 100 percent with her message of "don't be a dick to minorieties and don't let others be dicks to minorities at your local skatepark."

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 11:37:56 AM »
I might be reading too much into this, but I took this article in the same light as Kyle Beachy's 10/10 article from a couple weeks back. The gatekeepers of the skateboarding industry have an idea about what's sick about skateboarding that is very quickly becoming outdated. Giving coverage to blatant white supremacists and spousal abusers while completely ignoring the growing movement of "alternative" (PC for lack of a better phrase) lifestyles is a telltale sign that skateboarding as a culture isn't pushing the envelope socially like it used to. The mainstream skateboarding media outlets gave up their ability to push the norms of social acceptance in favor of personal/financial security. Companies won't take out ads in a publication that would be deemed to risque, even though that's what the true culture of skateboarding was founded on. Props to Marie for taking shit into her own hands and putting out a cultural outlet based on the people and not on the companies that are just trying to maintain their bottom line.

Fuck the industry. Burn it down and start over.
Also props to Free for posting this, and keeping up the 10/10 article all this time. Don't burn them down.
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »
Not feeling it...

Nowadays its a picking and choosing of outcasts, you just want the good outcasts, and could care less about the bad ones. Exactly how it used to be with if you were a shithead you were a good outcast but if you were gay you were a bad outcast, its just flipped upside down now.

We gotta just accept everyone for who they are.

But people still think what another person is into effects them.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »
Not feeling it...

Nowadays its a picking and choosing of outcasts, you just want the good outcasts, and could care less about the bad ones. Exactly how it used to be with if you were a shithead you were a good outcast but if you were gay you were a bad outcast, its just flipped upside down now.

I get the feeling you're leading towards the stigma placed upon intravenous drug users in society generally and skateboarding specifically. Before the name was taken over by people selling IV drips for hang overs or mood boosting there was an organisation called The I.V. League that served to normalising IV drug use as just another lifestyle choice. Personally I felt that their mission was always damned because unlike being trans or queer that lifestyle was inevitably destructive. I'm not going to condemn all IV users as doomed but in my life experience I'm yet to see it turn out positive.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »

I don't understand why someone should get special treatment in skateboarding because of whether or not the skating looks dope.  Who they are should be the only criteria.

works better the other way round to me. this isn't a discussion about your favourite pros, take your blinkers off
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Not feeling it...

[close]
I get the feeling you're leading towards the stigma placed upon intravenous drug users in society generally and skateboarding specifically. Before the name was taken over by people selling IV drips for hang overs or mood boosting there was an organisation called The I.V. League that served to normalising IV drug use as just another lifestyle choice. Personally I felt that their mission was always damned because unlike being trans or queer that lifestyle was inevitably destructive. I'm not going to condemn all IV users as doomed but in my life experience I'm yet to see it turn out positive.
Nothing to do with iv drug use dude. I get the negative/positive thing but we should accept the negative people instead of shunning them, when we do that we have a better chance at changing things/them. If you've noticed I've changed somewhat, because I was accepted here (not really but you see what I'm saying) you can't make a person change through force. There has to be a mutual respect that everyone can build off of.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 01:23:39 PM »
I get it, but i am pretty sure that some percentage of these new young trans and gay flashy people are the new "emo kids without any identity whatsoever" who just do it for the attention factor and also to feel like theyre part of something.
I mean, you cant take the american out of an american can you?
Props to anyone doing themselves (their real self)
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »
really good article. skateboarding is mainstream jock shit and has been for a long time.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not feeling it...

[close]
[close]
Nothing to do with iv drug use dude. I get the negative/positive thing but we should accept the negative people instead of shunning them, when we do that we have a better chance at changing things/them. If you've noticed I've changed somewhat, because I was accepted here (not really but you see what I'm saying) you can't make a person change through force. There has to be a mutual respect that everyone can build off of.
[close]

There are too many people. It's just better to dismiss them and write them off entirely.
I dont know if that's a joke or not. Not everyone can be helped, that don't mean we stop trying.

In a general sense.

Sometimes lines get crossed and you might need to kick someone out of a spot (happened to me a few times) and I also learned from those experiences too. Its like crime and punishment, the law is not perfect, but we should always try and have the most balanced law system we can.

This article has good ideas, but I don't fully agree with the overall message.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 02:11:45 PM »
No, skateboarding isn't norm breaking. skateboarding is a bunch of kids and adults that play with a wooden toy. we might think we are cool and "fucking the system", but we're not. let's not pretend that anyone of us have ever "fucked the system" because we skateboard...

the only thing I know, is that a safe space isn't on the internet. it's out there with your friends, and if you skateboard and you're not a kook, you'll get friends regardless of what you identify. is that a safe space? i have no clue.

women and queers are of course welcome to create their own "counter-culture" within skateboarding. there aren't actually any rules to skateboarding (except for all the rules), and it's actually understandable if you don't want to slam beers, skate around with no shirt, hug sweaty friends and yell weird noises at people when they land tricks. but if you're not a part of it, then you most likely won't get mainstream coverage, because that's what they cover. hell, there are people who still freestyle skateboard today and they sure as hell aren't getting in on the nike money, because they are not a part of.

but i'm probably too privileged to have an opinion on this.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 03:13:35 PM »
I don't get the idea why people think that riding a skateboard is somehow a revolutionary act. Last year I saw a lot of people I know get skateboards for the first time, and start "skate clubs" and "skate gangs" because it was cool and counter culture. Seemed like they just wanted something to post on instagram. Hell, one girl I know that is super pc, great girl, she helped start an organization to work on preventing sexual assault in bars, got a Gator board. Seriously, of all boards, a fucking Gator board. Not to mention all the people I know that are all about ACAB but were swinging from Mic-E Reyes nuts when he moved to town. I don't know if I have a point to this post. I'm hungover. We're not revolutionaries, most of us are just a bunch of fuck ups.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

D. Bag

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 03:19:44 PM »

Jesus, it's cute when people think that they can always "do it better" because they have some regular gripes with some facets of the industry, but something tells me that "burning it down" will leave you with a sub-standard new version of the industry that's no better than the old one.

When did people get to the point where they literally think that if it's not perfect, it should be crushed and redone from the ground up?

jawano

• Rep: -16
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 03:31:58 PM »
Interesting read. It pains me that some people feel so excluded, and it pains me that as a male i am sometimes lumped into the group causing that pain.

Skateboarding is not a political act. Its pretty mainstrram even though olds in particular still look at me with distrust because im on a board. Its a way to pass time and have fun. Ive met cool skaters and lame skaters. We would all do better to remember and live by the golden rule, as corny as that may sound. I am not an activist and I dont donate to causes, but i try to treat people fair without regard to color, creed, gender, etc. and teach my kids to do the same. Way more important than internet posturing.

I dont agree with the article 100% but it was a good read and its cool to see someone enterprising and getting out there doing shit instead of just bitching on social media.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:34:53 PM by jawano »

Heavy Lurk

• Rep: 3
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
I'm glad this person doesn't feel ostracized anymore, but I don't really get the point of the article. Who was keeping this person from skating, who is keeping women and trans people from filming? They talk about making skateparks a safe space, what does that mean? Most skateparks are public property, are they suggesting having times of the day where it's a women and non-binary skate times? It seems more like they're advocating for special treatment rather than inclusivity. They talk about Thrasher not featuring more non-cis males, but I mean that has to be the overwhelming majority of people who skate, thrasher solely exist to sell ad's, and generate clicks, despite what Jake Phelps says. Maybe i'm just jaded, but i tend to believe the real reason a majority of these articles exist isn't to raise awareness, but rather elevate ones status.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »
A thought, can we just call the gender non binary people ladyboys? And call the existing ladyboys girls? Cause I'm not about to say gender non binary when talkin about someone. That shit does not roll off the tounge at all, real shit.

Also I think maries pretty hot, but she's, he's (see what I'm sayin) is coming off as kinda a dick.

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 06:25:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jesus, it's cute when people think that they can always "do it better" because they have some regular gripes with some facets of the industry, but something tells me that "burning it down" will leave you with a sub-standard new version of the industry that's no better than the old one.

When did people get to the point where they literally think that if it's not perfect, it should be crushed and redone from the ground up?

I see your point, but "doing better" is a very subjective goal. To me, "doing better" would be having the industry more accurately represent the people who are doing it, including women and queers, and not putting white supremacists on the back cover just because they're "down with the mag." The industry should be more in the hands of the people, instead of the gatekeepers. I agree that it would be near impossible to build a better business based around skateboarding than what currently exists, but skateboarding isn't business. It's skateboarding.
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 06:29:28 PM »
I don't get the idea why people think that riding a skateboard is somehow a revolutionary act. Last year I saw a lot of people I know get skateboards for the first time, and start "skate clubs" and "skate gangs" because it was cool and counter culture. Seemed like they just wanted something to post on instagram. Hell, one girl I know that is super pc, great girl, she helped start an organization to work on preventing sexual assault in bars, got a Gator board. Seriously, of all boards, a fucking Gator board. Not to mention all the people I know that are all about ACAB but were swinging from Mic-E Reyes nuts when he moved to town. I don't know if I have a point to this post. I'm hungover. We're not revolutionaries, most of us are just a bunch of fuck ups.

Did you tell her? if she just got into skating how would she know about a thirty year old murder? that's on the industry, not a new skater.

Honestly, toward the article, if you can't fathom it being hard for a woman or a queer person or a person of color to drop $150 on a toy and show up to the park/spot, surrounded by people that shun them, don't look like them, don't act like them, don't respect them as people, over and over again, you're without empathy. skateboarding is a beautiful thing and Id rather have more people skating than the same ~250 dudes in california incubate an environment for only white men and strong willed black men.

Also: Consumerism can't negate IdPol in this case because, skateboarding is a consumerist act that has been based around 40 minute advertising segments for nearly 40 years.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

shark tits

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 08:00:21 PM »
skaters don't accept skaters. we're insecure pussies who judge each other on clothes or personal ergonomics while performing the 10 or so tricks everyone does.
we're not revolutionary, nor do have we ever been particularly 'inclusive'.
don't feel comfortable at a skatepark? skate a street spot.  be the change you wanna see, don't try to force people to like you.
be a good example and people will like you for you.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 09:20:05 PM »

works better the other way round to me. this isn't a discussion about your favourite pros, take your blinkers off

you either didn't read the whole article or missed the point entirely

In the article the writer says there should be more diversity in skatemags etc.
I think only the quality (artistic, skillwise or gnarlyness, whatever) of skateboarding should matter. Respect is earned through good and inspiring skateboarding, not by what your gender or sexual orientation is. The industry and media has no obligation to promote people if the quality of skating is not there.

Look at Nora or Breana Geering. The skating looks fucking dope. I want to watch content they produce, much more than content produced by many cookie cutter male pros out there. Of course their character is part of why it looks so good, but without the skating I have no interest whatsoever.

And I'd love to see a transgender who rips. Just give me some instagram names and I guarantee I'll follow if the skating looks good. If the skating and dopeness is there, they definitely should get pushed by the industry.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:22:37 PM by corto »

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »
she making herself out to be the victim and blaming the skateboard community because she has gender issues that dont align with her?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:40:07 PM by revfredmorton »

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 09:55:37 PM »
Try to be nice to others/don't let people be shitty to others. Got it.