Author Topic: Hensleys 540 cab  (Read 2884 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Hensleys 540 cab
« on: June 23, 2018, 03:46:05 PM »
 Under celebrated dude who was for a time seemed the most mentioned in pros interviews as being their favorite.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Not Local

Re: Hensleys 540 cab
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »
540 one foot tail grab on a mini ramp.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:19:25 PM »
extended cab

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:59:21 AM »

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 04:47:50 AM »
Under celebrated dude who was for a time seemed the most mentioned in pros interviews as being their favorite.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 06:28:27 AM »
540 one foot tail grab on a mini ramp.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 07:23:07 AM »

He's under celebrated now for his contribution to skateboarding and skate culture in general, but there was a time when he was considered a god.  He was on every cover and literally changed skate fashion.  During the late 90's everyone started wearing cargo shorts, white t-shirts and chain wallets.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

shark tits

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 07:55:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's under celebrated now for his contribution to skateboarding and skate culture in general, but there was a time when he was considered a god.  He was on every cover and literally changed skate fashion.  During the late 90's everyone started wearing cargo shorts, white t-shirts and chain wallets.
he was forced out by mike ternasky's capitalistic, disposable hero ethos. w/ our modern view of venerating our elders and hanging onto our heroes, he could've stuck it out a lot longer.
that said, he grew into a real adult and is more diverse than a lifelong pro of the same age.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 09:28:26 AM »
lest we forget.

This was 25 years ago..

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 03:32:49 PM »
In all fairness, the only reason he isn't talked about all the time like Gonz is because he doesn't put himself out there all the time. So all the new kids asked about "the greatest skater of all time" in interviews will reach for someone like Gonz - they weren't around for his heyday, but they are familiar because skate media keeps him at the forefront of our minds.

I wouldn't really say it's fair to call him underrated. If you ask someone who knows to name top street skating pioneers from the late 80s to early 90s, he will always be on the list.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 08:41:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I chain walleted up after seeing him with it; Brilliant! I won't lose my shit when skating. Thankfully I was already in army navy cargo gear due to cost.

Gullwings, handdrags, tictacing (again, Gullwings), early grabs and chunky fucking hi-tops.

Skated more Hensley decks than anything (next to the OG Vision Gonz /the second/third gen gonz shapes & BL Manny Moe Max deck).

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:02:53 PM by Xen »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 03:58:04 AM »
lest we forget.

This was 25 years ago..

Mesmerizing.

In all fairness, the only reason he isn't talked about all the time like Gonz is because he doesn't put himself out there all the time. So all the new kids asked about "the greatest skater of all time" in interviews will reach for someone like Gonz - they weren't around for his heyday, but they are familiar because skate media keeps him at the forefront of our minds.

I wouldn't really say it's fair to call him underrated. If you ask someone who knows to name top street skating pioneers from the late 80s to early 90s, he will always be on the list.

He was also only active for a relatively short period in his prime. Gonz was around for way longer (with a one year hiatus in 92/93).
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 05:53:45 AM »
Wow, that is a Cab and a half.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 10:18:21 AM »
I had his Church Glass deck and it was one of the few decks I bought back then because I liked the pro.  Usually I bought by shape or graphic.

All the guys I skated with really looked up to him, and we were all WTF when he quit.  Back then, news like that would take months to get around and there was lots of time between when we heard a rumor and when it was confirmed.  Crazy to think how slow things travelled back then.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:20:33 AM by backinaction »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
magnifiscient, gonna try cabs out of ditch in the park tomorrow

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
I had his Church Glass deck and it was one of the few decks I bought back then because I liked the pro.  Usually I bought by shape or graphic.

All the guys I skated with really looked up to him, and we were all WTF when he quit.  Back then, news like that would take months to get around and there was lots of time between when we heard a rumor and when it was confirmed.  Crazy to think how slow things travelled back then.

Hensley of Plan B confirmed.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 02:02:03 PM »

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 04:58:05 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEirlzJERME
always loved this part.

I always loved this part even though I started skating long after he retired. Classic Pogues track.

How did the Label Kills part come about? Was he back skating again briefly? Does he still skate at all?

He played piano accordion for Floggy Molly too which was rad.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035