Author Topic: Jump off A Building...  (Read 3149 times)

OrangeVHStapes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
Jump off A Building...
« on: June 26, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
Often overshadowed by it's predecessor Welcome to Hell, Jump off a building is a masterly crafted, killer fucking video... Bam and Kerry have two parts... Chris Senn makes up for lack of Donny Barley, BA has the ender, Elissa, Maldonado and Ed all have incredible parts... Not to mention a killer fucking soundtrack to boot... I believe it deserves more love or dare I say... Appreciation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=735_lQrtgSQ

shark tits

Re: Jump off A Building...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
this had a little more of a 'chill' vibe than WTH. slightly more 'cruise-y' [even if it was senn cruising downhill at mach julien] and less 'hammers'.
my roommates had this in washington where it rained every day so i watched it a whole lot. i really dug bam and his 'white wedding' shenanigans.
cornrows maldonado, kerry getz busy, ed w/ a better SY song and elissa taking another little piece of my heart.
even the zero commercial is nostalgic and rad

cloudy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:44:11 AM »
fully backing this. amazing soundtrack.

has one of the most memorable skate video quotes of all time - "where were we before we came here donny?"

also for me one of the most underrated funny moments is at the end when they're skating bricktown, and shane heyl (which i never realized was him until his episode of the nine club) slams on that fakie ollie, the pissed off teacher from earlier comes over the pa system with "if you are skateboarding in front of the school, you need to leave" and then you hear elissa respond "alright." for some reason that always gets me.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:11:51 PM »
Always that Maldonado should have had last part. Kerry’s part was shocking at the time.

aloftystandard

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »
Jump Off a Building was the first video I ever watched I got it along with an ed complete for my 12th birthday and there is no denying the heavy influence it had on me. I honestly don"t think I would be the person I am today if I was not introduced to toy at such a young age. So many legends in this video. TOY FOREVER

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 02:48:12 AM »
best

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 05:13:30 AM »
man...

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 06:47:24 AM »
Pretty sure I had Toy Machine shirts, hoodies, hats, keychain, banner etc after this came out. Initially was bummed cuz welcome to hell was the shit then team changes (especially missed Barley), but this team was sick. I was all about Kerry, Senn, and Elissa in this one. Bam made me laugh back then too. When Kerry left, I had his first habitat board pre-ordered. Funny in hindsight. Miss this era... Senn on Toy was great

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 02:21:58 AM »
My introduction to Toy Machine was through the Toy ad in Misled Youth. That ad was a life changer for me. I didn't have access to skate videos or the internet. Bought Misled Youth on VHS at my local shop since Zero was one of the few companies I knew, or core brand I wanted to support. Still have that copy. I've had a chance to meet Ed and the Toy team a few times. Crazy how different the team today is compared to Jump of a building team.

Not Local

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
That Senn-Dog part got me motivated to get off the couch to go out and skate countless times.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »
That Senn-Dog part got me motivated to get off the couch to go out and skate countless times.
wasn't in love w/ his part so much back then but it's grown on me.
loved the philly 3 and everyone else.

cloudy

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 08:31:41 PM »

same here! that line he does down that banked hill, through the freeway underpass. it was so simple, but it always got me stoked.

if you had a venn diagram of people who have heard of the band cigar and people who have seen jump off a building, how much overlap would there be? the comments on the youtube video would lead me to believe that it would just be one big circle because essentially they're the same group of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThKkDD-khm4

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 05:05:22 AM »
Fantastic vid. Loved BA, Maldonado and Senn. Excellent music throughout.
My mate had a bootlegged copy of it that we gave a good thrashing.

Crazy how diverse Toy Machine was at this point compared to how generic it's felt pretty much since then. Same goes for Emerica too. Both brands really pigeon holed themselves into Californian handrail and stair hucking skating.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 09:55:48 PM »
I LOVE Mike Mangatanga's Maldonado's part in this video.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 03:43:38 PM »
"it ripped the fucking mounting hardware out"

Dermbot

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
Jump Off A Building feels like the first real toy machine video as far as the brand and art direction went. Welcome to hell seems more like a Tum Yeto video or a Jamie Thomas homie Video and JOAB is a toy machine video.

Not Local

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

same here! that line he does down that banked hill, through the freeway underpass. it was so simple, but it always got me stoked.

if you had a venn diagram of people who have heard of the band cigar and people who have seen jump off a building, how much overlap would there be? the comments on the youtube video would lead me to believe that it would just be one big circle because essentially they're the same group of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThKkDD-khm4

thanks for finding that song! not a fan of 90s 3 chord pop punk anymore but that's a good one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 07:45:24 PM by Not Local »