Author Topic: Nico hiraga lakai colorway  (Read 7028 times)

Putaslocas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
Nico hiraga lakai colorway
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »

How are they giving this kid another colorway when hes been injured for over 6 months? Its incredible to me that they would use an am who hasnt put out any footy in the last 6 months for marketing purposes. Do the kids even give a shit? Lakai must be THAT desperate. At that point might as well give yonnie cruz a pro model. Not knocking Nico as a skater but its odd that an Am who hasnt received much coverage even before injury is being used to sell shoes.

feedmeseymour

Re: Nico hiraga lakai colorway
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:23:45 AM »
never heard of this kid, but his inability to properly wear overalls bothers me to no end.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:40:20 AM »
Instagram
I need a coffee

cloudy

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
to me this is no worse than girl still cranking out ck decks despite him openly skating dlx boards and doing nothing to promote the brand on his social. ck has had at least one, and a lot of the times even two, shapes in each of the recent series. at least this kid seems stoked on the brand that's backing him. crail (and ok lakai is not technically crail, but it's still mc and rick) has a solid history of supporting dudes through injuries (mikemo, eldy, etc). at the end of the day, it's just a colorway. they gotta throw their young guys a bone one way or another to keep them from bouncing while they wait out the endless process that is the road to official pro (see the griffin gass royal capsule). plus, these shoes are already better than those motorhead joints.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:37 AM »
kids are more into looking like a skater than actually skating. shit looks cool until they realize how hard it is to get somewhat proficient. skaters want to look like pop stars and pop stars want to look like skaters. This is Altamont Cap's(lakai) attempt to stay relevant. This kid is all about "the look"...I'm sure his sex change is long and strong and his hippie jump is unparalleled but I would hope they could find someone with a bit more substance.(*steps down from soap box while avoiding eye contact w/clouds)

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
god those overalls look seriously bad

bo golden

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 12:07:06 PM »
patiently waiting for Tony's shoe.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 12:07:15 PM »
I can't and don't want to watch that

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:23:44 PM »
Wasn’t this kid’s first colorway the reason Jon sciano bounced after the flare

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
omg that was the sneakiest of peaks ~

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »
to me this is no worse than girl still cranking out ck decks despite him openly skating dlx boards and doing nothing to promote the brand on his social. ck has had at least one, and a lot of the times even two, shapes in each of the recent series. at least this kid seems stoked on the brand that's backing him. crail (and ok lakai is not technically crail, but it's still mc and rick) has a solid history of supporting dudes through injuries (mikemo, eldy, etc). at the end of the day, it's just a colorway. they gotta throw their young guys a bone one way or another to keep them from bouncing while they wait out the endless process that is the road to official pro (see the griffin gass royal capsule). plus, these shoes are already better than those motorhead joints.

I totally agree that they were always good at backing dudes through injury, which i think is legit because youre always assuming those dudes are gonna bounce back harder than before (especially the young and straight edge kids like nico). Whole thing is that out of all the ams they have i would think they have a few others to choose from whose name they can put on for a colorway to sell more shoes. Id buy a manchild colorway anyday over a nico colorway. I assume the whole purpose of giving an am a colorway is that hopefully that dudes name associated with that color will sell product. So for me i just dont see why they would give this kid a second one when theres plenty of other dudes actually skating their ass off
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:36:53 PM by Putaslocas »

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 12:39:03 PM »

Never heard that before, would be interested to know more. I thought sciano quit and then nico got a colorway?

euro tm

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »
this kids dad is tyler the creators manager or something along those lines. just let that sink in and it'll explain why he's in this position.

cloudy

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I totally agree that they were always good at backing dudes through injury, which i think is legit because youre always assuming those dudes are gonna bounce back harder than before (especially the young and straight edge kids like nico). Whole thing is that out of all the ams they have i would think they have a few others to choose from whose name they can put on for a colorway to sell more shoes. Id buy a manchild colorway anyday over a nico colorway. I assume the whole purpose of giving an am a colorway is that hopefully that dudes name associated with that color will sell product. So for me i just dont see why they would give this kid a second one when theres plenty of other dudes actually skating their ass off

i would think the same thing, but i'm starting to get the impression that carroll (been in a lot of instagram posts with him lately) (and the brand in general) likes keeping this kid around because he's in touch/has connections with trendy shit/fashion/design (like his ties with mikey at illegal civ). also i could see manchild, simon, etc. not being all that interested in designing a colorway and being more focused on stacking clips for the new girl project that i'm guessing, if successful, will turn them pro. by giving him this colorway i could see them wanting to groom him to fill the void on the lakai design team that scott johnston left when he bounced for adidas (someone who didn't always put out a ton of footage but was always a stylish guy that was in tune with design). plus, when they interviewed him on the nine club at the flare premiere he said that smyth had been hooking him up with lakais since he was 14. so it seems like his loyalty is paying off.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »
this kids dad is tyler the creators manager or something along those lines. just let that sink in and it'll explain why he's in this position.
definitely not true

this kid sucks tho ive never seen a clip from him that was any good i forgot he was even on lakai

IHOP

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »
trying to grasp at that Illegal Civ market

ajones

• Rep: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »
patiently waiting for Tony's shoe.

I am also excited for this. Can’t figure out why.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »
He's marketable that's why...Kids love him. Nowdays its also about being popular in Instagram, not only the amount of footage he puts out.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't make me want that shoe.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never heard that before, would be interested to know more. I thought sciano quit and then nico got a colorway?
Why would he bounce over a color way and then ride for vans where they make old skools with flames and sparkles.

MC3

• Rep: 127
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 05:45:21 PM »
I like Nico enough but this is Lakai trying to do what Adidas is doing with Nakel
(Cool Trick GIF)

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »
of course lakai is desperate, but then again they are in the business of selling shoes and he's an instagram celebrity whose affiliated with illegal civilization and odd future and kids love IC and OF and will buy anything they try to sell.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 06:05:23 PM »
never heard of this kid, but his inability to properly wear overalls bothers me to no end.

Let alone dance, manager cable (Oh but I be he can manager cable...)or install carpet...

Based on is insta, he assumes hes got swag? Looks like a punk that needs to eat a sammich or put his shirt back on when off the board.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:09:02 PM by Xen »

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »
Lakai is popular in Japan. This kid is half Japanese and is super popular in Japan. He designs shoes with Japanese styles in mind. Lakai sold fuckloads of his last colourways in Asia. End of story.

Mr. Fink

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »
Is Lena Dunham hurt or is she of?

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »
Lakai is popular in Japan. This kid is half Japanese and is super popular in Japan. He designs shoes with Japanese styles in mind. Lakai sold fuckloads of his last colourways in Asia. End of story.

Thats cool but you didnt
/thread

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 07:09:21 PM »
I want to like Lakai so badly, but they keep pushing the worst looking shoes so hard. :/

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 09:36:29 PM »
This thread of wild speculation about why this kid got a colorway is hilarious.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 09:43:58 PM »
This thread of wild speculation about why this kid got a colorway is hilarious.

Slaps reaction is all the proof needed to see why he got a colour way.
Gentleman ninja warlock

canadian tm

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 11:23:51 PM »

no. lakai told him they were not going to pay him so he quit.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 11:24:50 PM »
nico_the_kook