Author Topic: Marie Dabbadie - Is skateboarding still norm breaking?  (Read 10813 times)

Cosme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Marie Dabbadie - Is skateboarding still norm breaking?
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2018, 08:55:30 AM »
Expand Quote

If you were able to figure out how to call skate tricks properly you should be able to use the correct non-binary genre terms - you only have to care.
[close]

I see. Cause if I don't use the correct terms, that means I don't care, and that means I am transophobic/homophobic/prejudiced/whatever?
This is exactly why I don't have much "understanding for these groups". They operate in a with us or against us way. And trying to dictate vocabulary is straight Orwellian.

Also now it's established I am not a "straight white dude in America", am I allowed to have an opinion? This is exactly the problem with identity politics. What you can say depends on who you are, there is no "equality".

Let me tell you this: I was an adopted kid. Do I expect everyone to understand the "cause" of adoptee rights? and "care"? Should I ask to be called, not an adoptee, but an "ethnically displaced person"? Should I hate all women forever because my birthmother abandonned me? No, fuck this victim bullshit.

I might be getting carried away here but it really pains me to see causes I used to support become totalitarian.

Of course not, you are entitled to your own opinions and you can use the terms you want and how you want to use them. That doesn't make you homophobic or transphobic.

Same way that someone who says Switch-Nollie or Frontside-Indy is not a skater hater.

If I truly care about you/your collective, I'll def try to understand and respect the way you want your collective to be called. I don't understand what's so difficult about this. If you guys don't want to show empathy then don't show it and carry on with your lives.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2554
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2018, 08:57:21 AM »
I see. Cause if I don't use the correct terms, that means I don't care, and that means I am transophobic/homophobic/prejudiced/whatever?
This is exactly why I don't have much "understanding for these groups". They operate in a with us or against us way. And trying to dictate vocabulary is straight Orwellian.

How is it Orwellian? How do you equate a (fictional) dystopian regime - which controls every aspect of your life and destroys you if you dissent - with a minority which does not have the same rights as you or me (let alone have political control) and thinks you're a dick if you don't acknowledge their identity? Why wouldn't you listen to them?

Let me tell you this: I was an adopted kid. Do I expect everyone to understand the "cause" of adoptee rights? and "care"? Should I ask to be called, not an adoptee, but an "ethnically displaced person"? Should I hate all women forever because my birthmother abandonned me? No, fuck this victim bullshit.

How exactly is this comparable? Do adoptees have fewer rights than other people? Do adopted kids think "adoptee" is a deragoratory term? There are so many good parallels from history about treatment of minorities, and you chose this wack personal example...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:01:17 AM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2018, 09:32:24 AM »
Cosme: ok, I can respect that.

Alan:  wack personal example? fuck you.
You should not open your mouth about something you know nothing about. Yes, adoptees have fewer rights than other people, in the countries that practice what is called closed records adoption. It's common for my generation. And it still exists in France to this day. What that means is you have no access to your files. You don't know your own history. Your biological parents'name, their origin, the reason for adoption, nothing. And I won't even get into re-adoptions in the US and all the shady shit that goes on in other countries, stolen babies for trafficking and so on.

As for orwellian, I used that word because the fictional regime of 1984 controls the people's thoughts by redefining the vocabulary. Do I really have to spell it out?
Anyways.........done talking to you here.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
Hey Pals!!! First time poster, but I seriously have been on here for so long, that I feel like I personally know some of you all. Either way I would like to post about the topic at hand, since I’ve been in the skateboard world/industry since I was a little kid. I also happen to be pansexual, and have been with multiple men, women, and trans people.

I read some of the shit on here and just usually don’t feel the need to type or whatever. Most things on here honestly make me happy because I feel like a lot of people understand our culture very well. I will say though that whenever the topic of sexuality or gender gets brought up that people just don’t fucking understand, and I also feel like most of the skate industry at large doesn’t understand. (and yes I’ve warned many of them higher ups for years on where the state of the industry is going).

There really is very little acceptance of queer people in skateboarding, which to me is funny because the gayest straight people I know all skateboard. Either way what I really wanted to shed light to, which I guarantee most of you all don’t know, is that there are a lot of queer skateboarders. I mean people even back into the 70s-90s that would blow your all’s minds. I’m not gonna air out those people because it’s a personal and private decision to publicize something like that, but know some of the people you put up on pedestals(and trust me you all put these people on pedestals), are queer as fuck.

Also said mentioned people would never ever bring up this topic to even their close friends and the industry at large. It was just taboo, people literally lost jobs over that shit in the 70s-80s.

Just know that when u shitpost on gay people on here, that the entire world can see, even said mentioned people. They also get really bummed out too, and so when you are sitting in your room and wondering why hey said person didn’t put out more footage or whatever, know that people being mad rude to queer people in skateboarding is honestly a big reason, and I know the people I’m talking about  are people you all call GOAT status. I’m also saying this because if there is a queer kid out there, to know you aren’t alone and that some of the greatest skateboarders of all time are queer, and there’s nothing fucking wrong with it.

Also y’all saying skateboarding can’t immediately dictate what it’s image is going to be obviously have no fucking clue how the industry works. You think skaters are the ones doing bussiness? Lmao, these days it’s all suit and ties, doesn’t matter what fucking company u are talking about. As well during the 1980s Powell, Santa Cruz, and vision, all held a meeting in a board room somewhere that they all literally agreed to all push street skateboarding over vert because it was so accessible to the Midwest and markets at large. People can change this entire industry with one board room meeting, so those thinking their efforts are in vain are ridiculous.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »
Hey Pals!!! First time poster, but I seriously have been on here for so long, that I feel like I personally know some of you all. Either way I would like to post about the topic at hand, since I’ve been in the skateboard world/industry since I was a little kid. I also happen to be pansexual, and have been with multiple men, women, and trans people.

I read some of the shit on here and just usually don’t feel the need to type or whatever. Most things on here honestly make me happy because I feel like a lot of people understand our culture very well. I will say though that whenever the topic of sexuality or gender gets brought up that people just don’t fucking understand, and I also feel like most of the skate industry at large doesn’t understand. (and yes I’ve warned many of them higher ups for years on where the state of the industry is going).

There really is very little acceptance of queer people in skateboarding, which to me is funny because the gayest straight people I know all skateboard. Either way what I really wanted to shed light to, which I guarantee most of you all don’t know, is that there are a lot of queer skateboarders. I mean people even back into the 70s-90s that would blow your all’s minds. I’m not gonna air out those people because it’s a personal and private decision to publicize something like that, but know some of the people you put up on pedestals(and trust me you all put these people on pedestals), are queer as fuck.

Also said mentioned people would never ever bring up this topic to even their close friends and the industry at large. It was just taboo, people literally lost jobs over that shit in the 70s-80s.

Just know that when u shitpost on gay people on here, that the entire world can see, even said mentioned people. They also get really bummed out too, and so when you are sitting in your room and wondering why hey said person didn’t put out more footage or whatever, know that people being mad rude to queer people in skateboarding is honestly a big reason, and I know the people I’m talking about  are people you all call GOAT status. I’m also saying this because if there is a queer kid out there, to know you aren’t alone and that some of the greatest skateboarders of all time are queer, and there’s nothing fucking wrong with it.

Also y’all saying skateboarding can’t immediately dictate what it’s image is going to be obviously have no fucking clue how the industry works. You think skaters are the ones doing bussiness? Lmao, these days it’s all suit and ties, doesn’t matter what fucking company u are talking about. As well during the 1980s Powell, Santa Cruz, and vision, all held a meeting in a board room somewhere that they all literally agreed to all push street skateboarding over vert because it was so accessible to the Midwest and markets at large. People can change this entire industry with one board room meeting, so those thinking their efforts are in vain are ridiculous.

I hear over and over again that people "don't understand". But you never actually say what it is we don't understand, just the same old "be nice to me! call me my favourite made-up identity! the world isn't nice enough!"

So gay people won't skate or put out as much footage if people are being rude to them? That shit is wack. If any of us were that bothered by people being rude, we wouldn't skate.

Most gender/identity politics are a pain in the ass, because they don't seek equal treatment, they seek special treatment. If you really wanted skating to accept you, you'd just skate, not bitch.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hear over and over again that people "don't understand". But you never actually say what it is we don't understand, just the same old "be nice to me! call me my favourite made-up identity! the world isn't nice enough!"

So gay people won't skate or put out as much footage if people are being rude to them? That shit is wack. If any of us were that bothered by people being rude, we wouldn't skate.

Most gender/identity politics are a pain in the ass, because they don't seek equal treatment, they seek special treatment. If you really wanted skating to accept you, you'd just skate, not bitch.

There is a difference between the base level rudeness we all face in the course of our lives and not being treated with the same degree of respect and fairness as others because of your gender or sexuality. In turn asking to be treated with the same level of respect and fairness is not asking for "special treatment". Also, as wonderful as skateboarding is, the answer to nuanced social matters is not "just skate".

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »
Skateboarding like most other fringe cultures is being suckered into identity politics

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There is a difference between the base level rudeness we all face in the course of our lives and not being treated with the same degree of respect and fairness as others because of your gender or sexuality. In turn asking to be treated with the same level of respect and fairness is not asking for "special treatment". Also, as wonderful as skateboarding is, the answer to nuanced social matters is not "just skate".

1. I say there's no difference in the rudeness I face and the rudeness "they" face. I've had tons of rudeness thrown my way based on my race, but I'll never say that I've had it harder than anyone else, or that my experiences are inherently different or worse. If I did, then I would be seeking special treatment.

2. "They" are not asking for the same level of respect and fairness (they don't want to be treated the way "we're" treated, it's not good enough), they want to be coddled and for other people to change the way they communicate and behave, in order to feel better about themselves.

3. If "they" want to be respected as skateboarders, then yes, the answer is to just skate. Unless they want to be put on a pedestal of progressivism, in which case they'll write endless articles and call us bigots if we don't join their "culture".

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2018, 12:02:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Lacey Baker is a queer female and she gets more props on here than a majority of the dudes. No one ever brings that up because there's no need to, her skating does the talking, not her identity.

Also no one ever gets respect in skating until they're legitimately good, but that shouldn't be a deterrent it should be an achievement.

Skate good and you'll be accepted regardless of identity

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

1. I say there's no difference in the rudeness I face and the rudeness "they" face. I've had tons of rudeness thrown my way based on my race, but I'll never say that I've had it harder than anyone else, or that my experiences are inherently different or worse. If I did, then I would be seeking special treatment.

2. "They" are not asking for the same level of respect and fairness (they don't want to be treated the way "we're" treated, it's not good enough), they want to be coddled and for other people to change the way they communicate and behave, in order to feel better about themselves.

3. If "they" want to be respected as skateboarders, then yes, the answer is to just skate. Unless they want to be put on a pedestal of progressivism, in which case they'll write endless articles and call us bigots if we don't join their "culture".

1. I guess let's stop using the word "rude", because I think we're actually talking about being prejudiced against. I appreciate that you haven't let being prejudiced against based on your race bother you, but I don't agree it's fair that you should have to face it. If someone in your position asked not to be treated that way, to be treated in the same way as someone who is not being prejudiced against, I wouldn't see that as asking for special treatment.

2. I don't know what to say besides I disagree. By "communicate" I assume you mean the words we're asked to use in referring to certain genders and sexualities. I don't see how asking the public to adhere to a certain nomenclature when discussing a minority group is asking to fundamentally change the way we communicate. I'm not at all sure what you mean by "behave", but, again, the ask is that we behave with fairness and respect. This is not asking to be coddled.

3. Skating is a unique culture in that ability does stand for a lot, but it's not this great leveller that removes all social issues from the culture. I don't know what that last sentence means, but no one is calling you a bigot or asking you to join another culture.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
Be nice to me and dont tell me how to act, and ill be nice to you and wont tell you how to act.

Simple stuff. Maybe queers have to be pushy to try and get some shine in the industry, but dont be pushy to the general public.

Its like I wanna see more ladyboys in mags n shit, but if its not happening naturally because of barriers or whatever, you gotta force your way in, instead of playing the sympathy angle. Were sympathetic to yall but don't play that angle, you only get quick love with sympathy, not long term love.

Somin like that.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2018, 01:54:50 PM »
Be nice to me and dont tell me how to act, and ill be nice to you and wont tell you how to act.

Simple stuff. Maybe queers have to be pushy to try and get some shine in the industry, but dont be pushy to the general public.

Its like I wanna see more ladyboys in mags n shit, but if its not happening naturally because of barriers or whatever, you gotta force your way in, instead of playing the sympathy angle. Were sympathetic to yall but don't play that angle, you only get quick love with sympathy, not long term love.

Somin like that.

Aye!
The engine of history has never run on moral suasion.

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2018, 02:29:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lacey Baker is a queer female and she gets more props on here than a majority of the dudes. No one ever brings that up because there's no need to, her skating does the talking, not her identity.

Also no one ever gets respect in skating until they're legitimately good, but that shouldn't be a deterrent it should be an achievement.

Skate good and you'll be accepted regardless of identity

Lacey Baker is lesbian?

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »
she need to be cool with other people and make some friends.  she can try to fit in or not, it up to her

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1201
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2018, 02:43:40 PM »
When are they going to finally install non-binary genderqueer restrooms at skateparks???
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2018, 11:12:08 PM »
They are not going to ever use them just like any other skater.....

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2018, 05:42:32 PM »
They are not going to ever use them just like any other skater.....
but they will tag worldstar on their ig story if any (?[gender born ?] how the fuck do they call us?)uses them
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>