Author Topic: Things you do to motivate yourself to land a trick.  (Read 5466 times)

Thrillho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 133
Re: Things you do to motivate yourself to land a trick.
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2018, 03:57:24 AM »
Imagine all my dead friends, girlfriend, and family watching. And how it's been years of them watching me skate. And even though they don't have a lot going on, they are still bored watching me bail. So they're calling me names and booing. And I'm like "oh yeah, Aunt Patty!? Check this shit out."

crustynosepick

• Rep: -56
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2018, 05:30:09 AM »
I’ve deprived myself of water many times. No water until you get this. It doesn’t always work

Pretty sure I've come close to dying doing this before.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1221
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
I usually think about having Martin Luther King right next to me.  “... and my eyes will see the glor-ay of a 5-0 grind!”
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »
  I'm 'back into skating' now and I'm finding the best way to motivate myself is to skate around for 20 minutes or half an hour with slidey tic tacs and slow bottom-of-the-transition type skating (like fakie 360s 10 inches up the transition).   Warm up enough and then maybe land a real trick or two.  I'm super stoked lately.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:18:19 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

chilllyboy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
The pain of road rash and hip bursitis are usually all the motivation I need

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »
Honestly when I get too serious about landing a trick, if there's something funny going around me I'll usually laugh it out and within a few tries I end up landing it. Kind of a weird way to change my mind's mood but it's helped so many times.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
eh, if i've been trying something for too long and don't get it, i just dont really worry about it. i'm in my 30's and if I'm getting tired that means I'm probably getting lazy which means i'll probably wind up hurting myself. it's easier to come back tomorrow vs nursing myself back to help for a dumb injury

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
i always seem to land/stick shit when i see my homie land something else

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »
Just think about some big breasted women... usually works...

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 12:10:57 PM »
Press "record".

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »
^^^^ this

Also, 10-20 pushups. it sounds jock but i fucking hate pushups and will try to do anything to avoid them.

if you have a shit skate day you'll be swole and finally accepted into the mainstream.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 01:53:26 AM »
I pretend my legs are noodles and I sing songs to myself. I don't wear headphones when I skate but I will talk to myself and sing songs to my myself and it does take my mind off of what I am doing and makes it easier/more fun.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 02:02:41 AM »
Hit myself in head (fist or board, doesn't matter), call myself a bad word, keep going non-stop till I make it or collapse.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 02:03:31 AM »
Hit myself in head (fist or board, doesn't matter), call myself a bad word, keep going non-stop till I make it or collapse.

at this point you should really take a break for a minute, drink some water and chill the fuck out for a few and then go back to it. trust me

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2018, 04:26:38 AM »
GETTING SOME MUFF

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 06:37:53 AM »
I just try to black out, I haven’t mastered the formula yet. It just happens sporadically. Mostly I just try to imaging myself in the middle of the trick right after I pop. Seems to work pretty good sometimes

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 06:06:07 PM »
Focus on how rad it will feel to land the trick instead of how frustrating it is to fuck it up.
The BA thing: just visualize how it would feel to do it and go at it like I’ve done it before.
Break up my attempts at the trick by doing easier tricks or doing the trick on something easier just to not get into a mode where I’m used to bailing. Like, if I’m trying to kickflip a gap, I’ll do a few flatground kickflips or ollie the gap, or if I’m trying a tough ledge trick, I’ll break up the tries with a 5050 or a nose slide or something. Keeps the spirits up, keeps you feeling good about doing what you are doing. Spending hours upon hours trying and failing on the same trick can be spirit crushing.

My buddy will do flip tricks and not land em first try every try and just get frustrated and quits and kills . I try and tell em stop jumping down stuff and explore other stuff it makes skating more fun .cause I mean who really goes to courthouse to skate the shitty little four. Meanwhile I’m happy as a clam cause a few ledge tricks and flat ground switch tricks just cruising around . Makes it way more fun. Shit he got frustrated and I learned how to get from up the bank in the fountain to 5050 the top. A long time ago my buddy told stop trying a trick over and over and break it up with something you know you can land just to switch up the muscle memory used. It helps. I don’t really lose my temper in skating though cause it’s more of my happy place where everything melts away. Don’t land a trick? Who cares the crushing anxiety over some other shit is gone and I can focus and land this trick and feel good about something. Skating is so rad.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »
Fall.