Author Topic: Reissues that bother me...  (Read 3260 times)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
Reissues that bother me...
« on: June 28, 2018, 12:17:16 AM »
You know what grinds my gears?
It's probably just me but certain reissues bother me greatly.

There are companies out there that release proper reissues and deliver the entire package:
the exact shape, graphic, colors, concave nice silkscreen etc...

But I got almost mad when Habitat and AWS started to do reissues because they were nowhere near the OG's, sometimes not even with the pro skater's name on there!!! The shape and size were completely off, not the proper way of applying the graphics etc.

I wish when a company reissues a deck that originally was a 7.62 deck from 1994, that it would actually be like that when it gets reissued.

There should be something like a 1:1 reissue and a 'graphic' reissue, because that is something completely different.

end of my old guy rant...

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: Reissues that bother me...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 04:08:31 AM »
i wonder how big the market is for 1:1 reissues of random habitat/aws/etc 2000 era decks compared to say 80s reissues

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:56:14 AM »
I'm kind of the opposite.  I do get nostalgic for old boards I had in my youth and a lot of those are coming back out fairly close to the original size and shape (I'm really old so we're talking 10" wide boards with no nose), but I don't skate that size anymore.  I skate an 8.25 popsicle now.  I wish when they release a deck in the classic shape and graphic, that they'd release some modern popsicle shapes with the graphic as well. 

Santa Cruz just released the street creep graphic on a popsicle shape and I'm stoked!  I had two of those decks back in the day in the original shape and loved that board (but mostly for the design).  Now I can get one in a shape I currently skate!

I understand getting the board as a wall hanger, but I just can't.  If I buy a deck, I feel compelled to skate it!  I used to do car shows back in the day and I always hated the "trailer queens".  Beautiful cars that were never driven.  They were pulled out of the garage, onto a trailer, then backed into the grass for a show, then back on the trailer.  Cars and trucks are meant to be driven.  Skateboards are meant to be skated.  Give me the classic graphic, but give me more options on size and shape.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

JerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 06:13:03 AM »
I like the idea of a company running both shapes, a modern version and replica of the original. Northern Co actually did that when they ran some Shilo Greathouse guest boards. Pretty sure they had a traditional popsicle and a 90’s style board.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 06:38:49 AM »
I think the market is just different. Having started skating in the 00's I don't necessarily want a 7.6 reiusse of old graphics even though that's the size I rode. Older dudes buying up all these 90s boards still ride them, as when whenever someone who quit skating in the 00s gets back on board they tend to get a modern size.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »
I like the idea of a company running both shapes, a modern version and replica of the original. Northern Co actually did that when they ran some Shilo Greathouse guest boards. Pretty sure they had a traditional popsicle and a 90’s style board.

I feel like 90% of re-issues do this. And it's a good way to do it!

I just saw the Natas 101 boom and the Brian Lotti dancing ladies re-issues yesterday. The screen print looks and feels great. And the shapes looks so odd compared to the modern popsicle. It always surprises me that I skated those shapes in the late 80s/early 90s.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:41:01 AM »
Also, I saw on instagram a lot of people pissed at buying h-st Hensley re-issues and the shape and concave was nothing like the original.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 10:18:11 AM »
I'm kind of the opposite.  I do get nostalgic for old boards I had in my youth and a lot of those are coming back out fairly close to the original size and shape (I'm really old so we're talking 10" wide boards with no nose), but I don't skate that size anymore.  I skate an 8.25 popsicle now.  I wish when they release a deck in the classic shape and graphic, that they'd release some modern popsicle shapes with the graphic as well. 

Santa Cruz just released the street creep graphic on a popsicle shape and I'm stoked!  I had two of those decks back in the day in the original shape and loved that board (but mostly for the design).  Now I can get one in a shape I currently skate!

I do too but sadly no one is doing any New Deal re-issues yet ;) Santa Cruz, love'em or hate'em is starting to brig back og graphics and slap them on pops; Salba tiger/girl, Knox firepit, street creep, JJ (yeah yeah); they need to get on with the roskopps already. Vision (http://www.selectsk8.com/vision/) is also doing it, they've a few OG gonz pops out now.

I'm riding the Street Creep popsicle right now and it's fucking great (I rode a few of them in a row back in the day, all natural wood grain). Haters gonna hate but the 'wide' tip shape is easily the best 'full' shape I've ridden, especially the tail, I had to scrape a bolt so I know which is the nose/tail. I'm going to start stocking up on them when I can (they have a mint/black colorway in that shape as well).

Also, I saw on instagram a lot of people pissed at buying h-st Hensley re-issues and the shape and concave was nothing like the original.

I was lucky enough to A) have ridden a shit ton of the OGs (I learned impossibles on them) and B) stood on the reissue; I didn't buy one.

It's too bad they don't do a 'modern' style of the OG shapes...scale down the exaggerated dims of the shape and lengthen the noses.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 07:15:39 PM »

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 10:43:08 PM »
There's two markets : collectors who prefer OG type stuff and skaters who prolly rather skate something current.  Honestly I'd rather buy the tshirt.....

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 02:28:07 AM »

*vomits in mouth*

Those vision double tails are AWESOME though...

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 06:55:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do too but sadly no one is doing any New Deal re-issues yet ;) Santa Cruz, love'em or hate'em is starting to brig back og graphics and slap them on pops; Salba tiger/girl, Knox firepit, street creep, JJ (yeah yeah); they need to get on with the roskopps already. Vision (http://www.selectsk8.com/vision/) is also doing it, they've a few OG gonz pops out now.

I'm riding the Street Creep popsicle right now and it's fucking great (I rode a few of them in a row back in the day, all natural wood grain). Haters gonna hate but the 'wide' tip shape is easily the best 'full' shape I've ridden, especially the tail, I had to scrape a bolt so I know which is the nose/tail. I'm going to start stocking up on them when I can (they have a mint/black colorway in that shape as well).

Expand Quote
[close]

I was lucky enough to A) have ridden a shit ton of the OGs (I learned impossibles on them) and B) stood on the reissue; I didn't buy one.

It's too bad they don't do a 'modern' style of the OG shapes...scale down the exaggerated dims of the shape and lengthen the noses.

Did people like H-Street shapes? I loved the vids but never owned a deck. I guess I went straight from no-nose Powell decks to World/Blind shapes. H-Streets had a kicknose but small, right?

It's funny but I held onto old school shapes way past their due date but now I can't bring myself to go back.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 07:11:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Did people like H-Street shapes? I loved the vids but never owned a deck. I guess I went straight from no-nose Powell decks to World/Blind shapes. H-Streets had a kicknose but small, right?

It's funny but I held onto old school shapes way past their due date but now I can't bring myself to go back.

When I was a kid, I had a couple of the H-Street Sal Barbier models with the Raiders shield on the bottom.  (I think it was his first pro model).  I loved the shape and concave back then.  It had a good size nose and square tail.  I think it was around 10".   I don't think I could do it now though.  I prefer an 8.25 popsicle nowadays.  I think it was mentioned earlier, but I wish they'd just come out with some of the classic graphics on a ton of t-shirts.  I wonder if some t-shirt company could try to get the rights to a ton of old graphics from a bunch of old companies and just put out shirts with classic graphics on them.  I'm sure Santa Cruz wouldn't go for it because they are actually pretty good about putting out shirts with classic graphics.  But it would be cool to have some of the old Powell, Schmitt Stix, Vision, Block Head, AWS, Sims, G&S, H-Street, World etc. graphics all in one place ya know?
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 08:12:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The H-Street Ron Allen and Hensley Models were great shapes for the time, had the old school feel but were way more trim. The Hell Concave was where it was at tho.

Hensley Kings Size

I could never go back and ride any of them, let them die in a fire. Take the OG Natas, for example, that thing was so weird to skate...I might skate an Acme Skateboards' Double Edge Model if they released, such a great shape back then.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:02:20 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »
I got the Natas Satan one....I think the shape is different. Wheelbase seems tiny, it's not that fun to skate.

Just saw g&s did the blender faces......reshape it but whatever.....

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »
I saw a reissue of an early 90s board from Enjoi, football shaped with pressure flip scrapes on the tail totally would have that as dork around board for sure.... http://www.conflictskates.co.uk/enjoi-big-pants-small-wheels-complete-skateboard-8625-x-325-old-skool-early-1990s-style-15632-p.asp
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass