Author Topic: Skating in the heat/summer seasons  (Read 5055 times)

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
Skating in the heat/summer seasons
« on: June 29, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »
So I live in the south Floriduh area and it gets stupid hot here from humidity being 60% to 80% to just being miserable. I am from a colder climate and still haven"t got use to this heat. How do you guys and gals deal with this? bs without 1 focusing your board in the daytime 2 dressing like a soccer mum or dude 3 find any kind of shade to cool off as the humidity never goes anywhere just like a warm blanket that lingers and makes me sweat from regions I've never sweat before?!
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Re: Skating in the heat/summer seasons
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
1) Sunblock
2) Always have water
3) Shorts and breathable socks
4) Tanktops 
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »
Early morning and late evening sessions are your friend!  Like was already mentioned WATER... Lots of water.   Light, breathable clothes. 
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 01:47:29 PM »
Also Florida here. I know the feeling. If it isn't in the 90s it's thunderstorms all day. Like right now. Tanktops and shorts. Some skateboarders are insecure with this so you could buy several packs of plain cheap white t-shirts and take those with you. Bring a gallon of water. Only skate at night. Possibly in the early morning before the heat sets in.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »
I'm in Florida and I don't wear tank tops and shorts because of how the sun sets your skin on fire. Also I'm an adult.

Skate_lurker_Rob

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 01:56:50 PM »
So lots of water white shirts and shorts and socks.  FML I just got stuck in the rain too fuck this sucks

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
i go without shirt

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 06:01:04 PM »
just accept the fact you’re gonna be hot as hell and sweat disgusting amounts and it’ll make it a little better.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
Water. Take your shirt off in the shade and wring that shit out. Night sessions for sure but if you gotta skate during the day hide in the shade every 15-20 minutes and drink water. Bring a plastic bag to put on your car seat before you drive home. If your piss is dark at all drink more water and chill for a couple minutes. again, shade is your friend.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

doublesteveburger

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 10:01:48 PM »
It's 100 degrees well into the night here in Arizona but at least it's not humid and there's no alligators.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 11:38:24 AM »
If you trap people in weird conversations about conspiracy theories, the heat and sweat won't bother you. Works for Gershon anyway.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »
Constantly writing essays on slap helps keep one cool.

SkateParkDesigner

• Rep: -6
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 02:59:33 PM »
Be aware that heat can cause health problems (like heat stroke), so take frequent breaks under shade or inside an air-conditioned environment. Wear light or white breathable clothing, but avoid dark clothing that doesn't breathe well. Check the weather to see what time is cool enough. Mid day is usually the hottest, so avoid mid day. Usually, 2 hours after sunrise or 2 hours before sunset is decent weather. Also, if you can find a night spot with bright street lights, then that'd probably be the coolest option. Make plans to skate on the coolest days of the week and stay inside on the hottest days of the week. When it's too hot out, you can play EA Skate, look for skate spots on Google Maps, or something.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:03:59 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
What the fuck

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 08:20:55 PM »
Fucking hate skating in shorts, but today I found out that skating in scrubs is a pretty decent option. Thin light and breathable.

jomeara1

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »
Anybody here live in/by Martin County Florida? I’m taking a trip down there with my cousin to visit my aunt and uncle. Just wondering if there are any good spots around there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:01:06 PM by Johnny »

Skate_lurker_Rob

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 07:06:30 AM »
Anybody here live in/by Martin County Florida? I’m taking a trip down there with my cousin to visit my aunt and uncle. Just wondering if there are any good spots around there.
Whats your go to? parks or street? parks we got plenty just helmets are enforced at some places...... I've been cataloging and making notes of spots street rails banks stairs and other do dads. for martin county not so sure of...... close to Hobe sound and Jupiter it can be a bit rich but whatever that's my opinion. If you want to skate without helmets theres a few parks and stuff but wpb and a few other stuff is killer for clips.

shark tits

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 07:27:42 AM »
in the heat of the summer better call out a plumber, turn on the steampipe and cool me of.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 07:39:23 AM »
I have been to Florida in the summer time and I guess I had to accept the fact that I can't deal with it. I cannot function in that heat. I would try to skate or go for a run in the evening, but it made me dizzy and I sometimes got headaches even though I drank tons of water.

Now that I live in Europe it gets just as warm in the summer, but it is usually much less humid, which makes it way more tolerable. Usually I skate the last one or two hours before it gets dark. So I skate between 8 and 10pm. That way I fall asleep pretty late, because after beeing active I need forever before falling asleep. Since I am presently very much underemployed and I have classes in the morning I usually take naps in the afternoon. I am also constantly drinking water.

Nap Life!!!

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 09:31:08 AM »
Successfully skated in shorts today for the first time ever. I realized I need a high top shoe and it feels way better. Just skated a mini though, I don’t think I’d want skate street still.

jomeara1

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Whats your go to? parks or street? parks we got plenty just helmets are enforced at some places...... I've been cataloging and making notes of spots street rails banks stairs and other do dads. for martin county not so sure of...... close to Hobe sound and Jupiter it can be a bit rich but whatever that's my opinion. If you want to skate without helmets theres a few parks and stuff but wpb and a few other stuff is killer for clips.

My aunt and uncle live in hobe sound actually. Heard a lot of old people live around there but whatever. I’m down for anything parks, streets, parking lots, whatever. I’m cool with helmets that don’t stop me. I’m always down to skate with the locals anywhere too. I’m friendly with everyone.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
Be aware that heat can cause health problems (like heat stroke), so take frequent breaks under shade or inside an air-conditioned environment. Wear light or white breathable clothing, but avoid dark clothing that doesn't breathe well. Check the weather to see what time is cool enough. Mid day is usually the hottest, so avoid mid day. Usually, 2 hours after sunrise or 2 hours before sunset is decent weather. Also, if you can find a night spot with bright street lights, then that'd probably be the coolest option. Make plans to skate on the coolest days of the week and stay inside on the hottest days of the week. When it's too hot out, you can play EA Skate, look for skate spots on Google Maps, or something.

Thanks Mom! Will you make me and the guys some of these?!
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »
please tell me your trollin dude

SkateParkDesigner

• Rep: -6
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 12:40:52 AM »
I am from a colder climate and still haven"t got use to this heat. How do you guys and gals deal with this?

What I'm saying might seem obvious to someone from a warm climate, but someone from a colder climate might not have the same experience as you with heat... Rob asked how to deal with the heat, so I tried to answer his question.

Trolling:
"Make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them."

The sandwich guy is trolling by calling me his Mom and asking me to make him and his friends sandwiches. But I wasn't trolling. I assure you that my only intentions were to help others.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:52:36 AM by SkateParkDesigner »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 02:55:23 AM »
Successfully skated in shorts today for the first time ever. I realized I need a high top shoe and it feels way better. Just skated a mini though, I don’t think I’d want skate street still.

trying tre flips in shorts fucking wrecked me

ontopic:

h y d r a t i o n
y
d
r
a
t
i
o
n

s u n s c r e e n
u
n
s
c
r
e
e
n

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 05:40:02 AM »
I generally just don't skateboard ever.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
i don't. we've had a fucked summer here in Norway with close to 86f/30c, which is pretty much 5-10c higher than usual. early morning or after 7pm is the only thing that works.

Skate_lurker_Rob

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

My aunt and uncle live in hobe sound actually. Heard a lot of old people live around there but whatever. I’m down for anything parks, streets, parking lots, whatever. I’m cool with helmets that don’t stop me. I’m always down to skate with the locals anywhere too. I’m friendly with everyone.
PM’d you my number when you come down here

Sad Hippo

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 11:09:39 PM »
Ive been living in this humid ass sauna for the last five years. Every year from April to October its fucking hot and humid. So I had to really change the way i dressed when I went skating.

First this is HANDTOWELS - it takes a whole lot of trouble from using your shirt to wipe your self with.

Also get some light shorts like this (got it from a sporting good store) it doesn't need a belt which adds on more unnecessary layers ;

Also for hats - there a lot of mesh hats made with the quick drying materials - a lot of golfing hats are like this. Im rocking this one i got as a gift (grizzly i know lame but fuck it, its a free hat that doesnt absorb all my sweat and doesnt stink)  Nothing is worse then wearing a thick ass hat that absorbs sweat, stinks and leaves sweat stains when it dries...

Also wear ankle socks.

Alll this shit has really helped me able to enjoy skating in this humidity - also someone else mentioned the time and place you go. I always skate in a shaded area a few hours before sunset
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[