Author Topic: Skating in the heat/summer seasons  (Read 5061 times)

SkateParkDesigner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Re: Skating in the heat/summer seasons
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2018, 01:06:34 AM »
Damn, that mesh hat idea is a really good idea.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 02:03:07 AM »
It gets up to 120 where I live. When it's that hot, we mostly skate late at night or don't at all. Hasn't happened to me but I've had friends that had their grip start sliding off their boards, not completely but it shifts. One year the soles on my shoes started to become very soft and I could feel it when riding. Just during summer though because then winters are brutal. Desert weather, take it or leave it.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 06:14:18 AM »
I live in the South, am old as fuck, and I refuse to wear shorts because I have weird looking legs.

Rule of thumb, when the water is gone, so am I.

calvinsdream

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »
I love daytime park sessions in Houston because all the parks are cleared out. Definitely sweat through jeans a few times and had a few “fuck this, it’s too hot” sessions but I’d take the heat over 4-5 months of not skating due to the cold/snow.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »
I love daytime park sessions in Houston because all the parks are cleared out. Definitely sweat through jeans a few times and had a few “fuck this, it’s too hot” sessions but I’d take the heat over 4-5 months of not skating due to the cold/snow.

I knew a guy in the midwest who would completely disassemble his trucks after each session during the winter because he was convinced it would wreck his bushings.  Most definitely the cold is inhospitable to easy turning.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 12:52:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I knew a guy in the midwest who would completely disassemble his trucks after each session during the winter because he was convinced it would wreck his bushings.  Most definitely the cold is inhospitable to easy turning.
So a few years ago I started a nonprofit quasi lending library of boards and parts where I would go to parks give away some stuff or I'd have jam sessions at local park whatever, sometimes in the summertime mainly on the spot announced via instagram when I gave a shit about social media. the idea of my lending library was a donation and faith based if you have shitty board or whack trucks leave them with me I will reassemble a sharktooth board and some kid will rip it. I'd go to pawn shops, thrift stores, swap meets, and some craigslist ads. Oh the egregiousness of craigslist ads are horrible too, all custom from Zumiez spent over $250 skated for 2 days, trying to get their money back or the weekend dads project that totally sucks ass. Well I got an element board and shuvit board at a pawn shop and the other at a thrift store. When I buy these from different places I try to ask the history oh where do you get your donations from or who pawned it yada yada, well the element came from New Jersey and the Shuvit was a rehab dude who pawned it. When I buy these turds of boards many things I look for when buying them the wheels in decent shape the trucks are a must for a final buying the board however not so much I have a dremol tool and a sander that I can give it a once over to reshape it or at least polish the turd so it looks aesthetically pleasing to some kid. Well I cannibalize the parts clean em up relube the bearings adjust everything. So I am skating this Element deck and not paying attention the bushings and wheels literally disintegrated as I was powersliding and doing reverts never ever have I experienced this! So in summation your friend was kinda right about cold affecting the bushings maybe it's the freezing and temperature that fucks with the rubber or whatever but I had it happen to me and it scared me.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 06:46:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
So a few years ago I started a nonprofit quasi lending library of boards and parts where I would go to parks give away some stuff or I'd have jam sessions at local park whatever, sometimes in the summertime mainly on the spot announced via instagram when I gave a shit about social media. the idea of my lending library was a donation and faith based if you have shitty board or whack trucks leave them with me I will reassemble a sharktooth board and some kid will rip it. I'd go to pawn shops, thrift stores, swap meets, and some craigslist ads. Oh the egregiousness of craigslist ads are horrible too, all custom from Zumiez spent over $250 skated for 2 days, trying to get their money back or the weekend dads project that totally sucks ass. Well I got an element board and shuvit board at a pawn shop and the other at a thrift store. When I buy these from different places I try to ask the history oh where do you get your donations from or who pawned it yada yada, well the element came from New Jersey and the Shuvit was a rehab dude who pawned it. When I buy these turds of boards many things I look for when buying them the wheels in decent shape the trucks are a must for a final buying the board however not so much I have a dremol tool and a sander that I can give it a once over to reshape it or at least polish the turd so it looks aesthetically pleasing to some kid. Well I cannibalize the parts clean em up relube the bearings adjust everything. So I am skating this Element deck and not paying attention the bushings and wheels literally disintegrated as I was powersliding and doing reverts never ever have I experienced this! So in summation your friend was kinda right about cold affecting the bushings maybe it's the freezing and temperature that fucks with the rubber or whatever but I had it happen to me and it scared me.

wow that sounds like a lot of work.  I bet that stoked a ton of kids out though, +1
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

active_shooter

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 06:16:10 AM »
Yes, this and early too. Granted, there doesn't seem to be much difference temp-wise, 8:30am is as hot as 11am but for one no one is out at 8:30am, for sure. The park on Gulfton seems to be crowded no matter what time, so there's that. And, like the gentleman mentioned earlier, "when the water is gone, so am I." I've been dehydrated before, and we're not doing that again. 

active_shooter

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 06:20:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The Craigslist thing... last night I was looking at boards on Craigslist, LetGo, 5Mile, etc, and saw DGK boards brand new (from Zumiez) for $230. So, these kids find they can't handle riding a skateboard and not only try to get ALL their money back, but DOUBLE their money? Mmkay. Kids are amazing.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2018, 08:42:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
The Craigslist thing... last night I was looking at boards on Craigslist, LetGo, 5Mile, etc, and saw DGK boards brand new (from Zumiez) for $230. So, these kids find they can't handle riding a skateboard and not only try to get ALL their money back, but DOUBLE their money? Mmkay. Kids are amazing.
The hilarious thing is their expectation to get back the money, Like anyone would buy a recent board for that much. Maybe a rare out of print deck of so and so dead skater or some weird deck they only made a limited handful of decks.

For example Peter Beste did a collab with Creature and also Darkthrone did a gnarly tank deck which I'd pay large amounts for those boards but not a "custom" as they put it on the Craigslist ad,

The  title should be something like this:  ahem I got my kid a nice board and I am disappointed because he chose a scooter instead. so buy my "custom turd"  from Zumiez only $250 paid not low ballers and name your price which is far less then I will get back
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 09:30:16 AM »
just accept the fact you’re gonna be hot as hell and sweat disgusting amounts and it’ll make it a little better.