Poll

What's your favorite thing to skate?

100% Street (Ledges, stairs, etc.)
80% street, 20% vert
80% vert, 20% street
100% Vert (Bowls, quarter pipes, etc.)

Author Topic: Constructive Criticism on Unfinished Skate Park Design  (Read 6300 times)

SkateParkDesigner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Constructive Criticism on Unfinished Skate Park Design
« on: June 30, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
Hi! This is my first post. You can call me SkateParkDesigner. I’m trying to design a skate park (for fun). I’m trying to make something that I can feel proud of, so my ideas are coming kinda slow and I’d really appreciate some constructive criticism. What do you like/dislike about the design so far? What would you add/remove? How can I improve the style of the park? How would you change it?

Pics:

I want to make a ramp over these chains, but don’t know how to make it look cool or where to put it. Also, I want one of the poles to be a pole jam. And I want it to look like a natural street spot.

I’m kinda going for a natural vibe with lots of vegetation and shade. Sorry about the clutter in the background and stuff… It’s still a work in progress.

Here’s an update after editing it a little bit.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:11:35 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
Re: Constructive Criticism on Unfinished Skate Park Design
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 01:03:58 PM »
have you think about transition?  it look like city park, look like nice place to eat lunch.  it not smooth lines from one obstacle to another. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:07:03 PM by revfredmorton »

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
You're right, the park definitely needs better flow with smooth lines from one obstacle to another. I also want to divide the park into sections somehow, so the park doesn't turn into a crash derby. I'm considering putting transition into the skate park, but I'd want it to look like a natural skate spot. Feel free to post pics of a skate spot with transition that you'd like to skate.

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
"no scooters a loud" sign and maybe some fetish restraints

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 04:35:00 PM »
A "No Scooters" sign would help keep the ledges from chipping, so that'd be reasonable. I don't want to use coping on the ledges because metal rusts and I'd rather grind concrete. Metal is very expensive, so eliminating coping would reduce costs too. Lol... I think the city wouldn't allow fetish restraints unless it was a private facility.

Here's a chain gap. I'm still not satisfied with it though... The unused part of the bank looks kinda boring. I think it'd be fun to hit a ramp over some chains though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:48:13 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 05:06:33 PM »
how about more banks styled like ones from famous spots instead of your typical qp or bowl type transition? that would probably fit in best with the “natural” spot approach you have going.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 05:25:07 PM »
"no scooters allowed" sign and maybe some fetish restraints

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »
fetish restaurants

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »
A restaurant at the skate park would be a great idea, but I think it'll need a more family friendly theme. Also, grindable banks would be fun. They're one of my favorite obstacles actually.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 01:31:01 AM »
You could use some planters that have transition in them and have vegetation on top of it to have more natural parkish theme going on as an easy fix. One could even have water there or maybe a little fountain which could emptied if necessary..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 04:36:37 AM by Mystical Leader »

Pigeon

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 04:34:34 AM »
A restaurant at the skate park would be a great idea, but I think it'll need a more family friendly theme.
Wack Arnold’s

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 04:44:40 AM »
You could use some planters that have transition in them and have vegetation on top of it to have more natural parkish theme going on as an easy fix. One could even have water there or maybe a little fountain which could emptied if necessary..

best spot

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 08:00:55 AM »
how about more banks styled like ones from famous spots instead of your typical qp or bowl type transition? that would probably fit in best with the “natural” spot approach you have going.
Look up Brotherhood Plaza Stockholm. This place kills it with the "natural" look.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 08:07:51 AM »
All skateparks should have a flat bar, a foot to foot  and a half tall regular ass ledge,  a foot tall regular ass Manny pad, and at least a four foot tall mini. A six foot quarter with pool coping is icing on the cake.a big steep bank too.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »
Brotherhood Plaza Stockholm is cool and I love the brick quarter pipe. I'm definitely planning on adding a flat rail. I kinda want it to look like a barcelona round rail.

It's interesting to read about what you all want in skate parks. Personally, I'd prefer the skate park to be all street spots, but a lot of you think it needs transition. Most people are street skaters, so I wasn't expecting people to want mini pipes and stuff... Chances are you already have transition at your local skatepark, but there isn't a street park in the area. Adding a street park would diversify the terrain of parks. It'd be a legal skate spot. If you went to a street park, would you get bored if there wasn't transition?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:18:02 AM by SkateParkDesigner »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »
If you want to skate street spot go skate the fucking street. Kids are so lazy and sheltered they disgust me.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Look up Brotherhood Plaza Stockholm. This place kills it with the "natural" look.

that’s a fun-looking park. but like you said actual street spots are better.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »
dont put trees in a fucking skatepark

if you want street skate fucking streets

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 02:06:32 PM »
Brotherhood Plaza Stockholm is cool and I love the brick quarter pipe. I'm definitely planning on adding a flat rail. I kinda want it to look like a barcelona round rail.

It's interesting to read about what you all want in skate parks. Personally, I'd prefer the skate park to be all street spots, but a lot of you think it needs transition. Most people are street skaters, so I wasn't expecting people to want mini pipes and stuff... Chances are you already have transition at your local skatepark, but there isn't a street park in the area. Adding a street park would diversify the terrain of parks. It'd be a legal skate spot. If you went to a street park, would you get bored if there wasn't transition?
we have a fat sausage flatbar at one of our local parks and  everyone i know wishes it was a normal round rail
you cant pinch your shit on a sausage

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »
I did a redesign on a park once for a project, it wasn't very good but I've done a lot of research into landscape architecture. I do agree that there could be a stronger sense of continuity in the park and a way to integrate sections more, but I also appreciate that this just seems like a nice place to hang out, skating or otherwise. I like the trees, and natural elements, and the direction this is going looks pretty good. I think it would help inform some of your decision making in the layout if you research what makes a successful public space and then applying those principles to skateable components. But keep updating, I'd like to see how this develops.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 01:36:42 PM »
maybe a little fountain

I like that idea... I made one with a little bit of tranny & street mixed together. It still needs something though. Maybe a statue of a woman in the middle of the top deck or something. Someone pointed out it's harder to certain grinds on thick rails, but I think they look easier to balance on.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:48:56 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 01:47:55 PM »
How about a few skate stoppers for popover tricks

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 02:23:22 PM »
Expand Quote
maybe a little fountain
[close]

I like that idea... I made one with a little bit of tranny & street mixed together. It still needs something though. Maybe a statue of a woman in the middle of the top deck or something. Someone pointed out it's harder to certain grinds on thick rails, but I think they look easier to balance on.

with this whole "i think" shtick i think you dont even fucking skate

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »
water fountain so you dont die of dehydration, ample parking, toilet, lights for nighttime skating

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 04:44:52 PM »
it just looks like a kid on top of a 7 stair w/ a wooden stick. it wouldn't play for me.
maybe you can make sausage flatbar for thems who's wants em and skinny minnie flatbars for the other guys/
60/40?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 06:31:58 PM »
Make a rail that's not a double kink.  Most normal skaters wouldn't be able to do much on that thing. 

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
My thought process about the double kink rail was that pros might not feel challenged enough on an easy rail. I wanted to put in at least one pro obstacle, while the rest of the obstacles cater to the average & beginner skill level. I removed the planter gap and put in some pole jams into a bank. They're at various angles for different skill levels. Also, you could gap over the chains into the bank or over the chains out of the bank.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:33:38 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
My thought process about the double kink rail was that pros might not feel challenged enough on an easy rail. I wanted to put in at least one pro obstacle, while the rest of the obstacles cater to the average & beginner skill level. I removed the planter gap and put in some pole jams into a bank. They're at various angles for different skill levels. Also, you could gap over the chains into the bank or over the chains out of the bank.

How many pros skate your current local park?  You've got to cater to your main audience.  Fuck, just put in a 30 stair 5 kink incase K-Walks shows up.  Definitely need a 30 foot drop in case Jaws drops by. 

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 04:15:52 PM »
You've got a real knack for designing okay street spots