Poll

What's your favorite thing to skate?

100% Street (Ledges, stairs, etc.)
80% street, 20% vert
80% vert, 20% street
100% Vert (Bowls, quarter pipes, etc.)

Author Topic: Constructive Criticism on Unfinished Skate Park Design  (Read 6298 times)

shark tits

Re: Constructive Criticism on Unfinished Skate Park Design
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 04:23:27 PM »
Expand Quote
My thought process about the double kink rail was that pros might not feel challenged enough on an easy rail. I wanted to put in at least one pro obstacle, while the rest of the obstacles cater to the average & beginner skill level. I removed the planter gap and put in some pole jams into a bank. They're at various angles for different skill levels. Also, you could gap over the chains into the bank or over the chains out of the bank.

[close]

How many pros skate your current local park?  You've got to cater to your main audience.  Fuck, just put in a 30 stair 5 kink incase K-Walks shows up.  Definitely need a 30 foot drop in case Jaws drops by.
i'd keep matt schlager in mind and build a crazy 15 flat 15.
yoo hoo, matt schlager will make your spot famous

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 04:14:30 AM »
 looks shitty.   Why the double set ?  make the trees bigger
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

SkateParkDesigner

• Rep: -6
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »

I put in the 3 flat 3 for people to do tricks down the stairs. There's a 2 stair too in case you can't skate the double set. Sorry you don't like it... I'll consider putting in a 15 flat 15 with skate stoppers as requested. There's nothing quite as fun as launching an unmanned skateboard down a 30 stair, then Tech Decking down the handrail and doing an ollie over each skate stopper.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:17:24 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 05:13:05 PM »
If there is no fetish restaurant, can you put some fruit on the trees for when I get hungry?  Or to throw at scooter kids.

Also, pros like fruit.  That may entice them to visit.

And a 20' bowl with a hubba in it.  Because I want to keep to that 80/20 ratio.

regards,

stabby bird
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

shark tits

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 05:18:11 PM »
and just to make your park stand out, really 'pop' how about a mount rushmore statue? but instead of dead presidents to represent me [get money] it can be 80s celtic greats. 'chief' robert parish, kevin 'frankenstein' mcchale, danny 'mormon' ainge and lawrence 'larry bird' bird.
*substitute dj for danny ainge if you want but he's the forgettable 5th man.

once on 411 koston did a slappy grind on a bouncy pole then propelled of it to grind a nearby ledge. maybe you could make something similar.

calvinsdream

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 06:03:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I put in the 3 flat 3 for people to do tricks down the stairs. There's a 2 stair too in case you can't skate the double set. Sorry you don't like it... I'll consider putting in a 15 flat 15 with skate stoppers as requested. There's nothing quite as fun as launching an unmanned skateboard down a 30 stair, then Tech Decking down the handrail and doing an ollie over each skate stopper.

Focus your shit anytime

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 06:56:10 PM »
and just to make your park stand out, really 'pop' how about a mount rushmore statue? but instead of dead presidents to represent me [get money] it can be 80s celtic greats. 'chief' robert parish, kevin 'frankenstein' mcchale, danny 'mormon' ainge and lawrence 'larry bird' bird.

What if the mount rushmore statue was of Shane O'Neill, Eric Koston, Rodney Mullen, and Nyjah Huston? Runner-ups being Bam or Stefan Janoski...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:59:39 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

shark tits

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What if the mount rushmore statue was of Shane O'Neill, Eric Koston, Rodney Mullen, and Nyjah Huston?
not abstract enough. that's like having 'skateboard skateboards'. you gotta have 'coffee skateboards'. or 'tv skateboards'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFcl3BrJpU

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 07:05:56 PM »
not abstract enough. that's like having 'skateboard skateboards'. you gotta have 'coffee skateboards'. or 'tv skateboards'.

Okay... What about... A mount rushmore statue featuring 4 security guards? Maybe Paul Blart, Big Black, the security guard from EA skate, and a crazy lady flipping everyone off.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:11:33 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

shark tits

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 07:09:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Okay... What about... A mount rushmore statue featuring 4 security guards? One of the could be Paul Blart.
now we're steppin in good shit

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 08:18:36 PM »

Paul Blart, Mount Rush More Cop
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:15:53 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

shark tits

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »
dan drehobl and the other cop from donut duty?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSFzxbg_ME

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
My thought process about the double kink rail was that pros might not feel challenged enough on an easy rail. I wanted to put in at least one pro obstacle, while the rest of the obstacles cater to the average & beginner skill level. I removed the planter gap and put in some pole jams into a bank. They're at various angles for different skill levels. Also, you could gap over the chains into the bank or over the chains out of the bank.

Chains at a skatepark, especially one that you want to feel like a regular city park, are a huge mess waiting to happen. Some 12 year old kid is going to try to hippy jump into the bank going 0 miles an hour and slide down on his face, and then you'll have a brigade of parents threatening litigation over your choice to incorporate 'non-skate obstacles' and 'intentionally unstable surfaces'.

Stick to stuff that doesn't wiggle and can't be moved around the park and you'll save yourself a multitude of headaches into the future.

Edit: After seeing all the good responses above, I'm mad at myself for giving you semi-constructive feedback. Be sure to have a leatherbound animatronic Berra at your fetish restaurant.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:03:40 AM by Lt. Frank Drebin »

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2018, 09:14:08 PM »

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2018, 10:24:47 PM »
NO SAUSAGE  RAILS
polejam=fun and easy
polejam with chain=terrifying
double set kink rail=waist of concrete
pretty much all parks have stairs to jump down and if not...street...fuck stairs anyway
a few parks have big ass street size handrails around here
and everone that eyes them out says the same thing
Might as well do it on a street rail.
Dont be part of the problem be part of the solution.

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2018, 10:54:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Chains at a skatepark, especially one that you want to feel like a regular city park, are a huge mess waiting to happen. Some 12 year old kid is going to try to hippy jump into the bank going 0 miles an hour and slide down on his face, and then you'll have a brigade of parents threatening litigation over your choice to incorporate 'non-skate obstacles' and 'intentionally unstable surfaces'.

Stick to stuff that doesn't wiggle and can't be moved around the park and you'll save yourself a multitude of headaches into the future.

Edit: After seeing all the good responses above, I'm mad at myself for giving you semi-constructive feedback. Be sure to have a leatherbound animatronic Berra at your fetish restaurant.

Chains are actually safer than most stair sets at skate parks when you compare the impact between the two. Especially considering it's a relatively mellow bank and a relatively low chain. We're talking like only 1" - 1' 3" high. Most people can hippy hop over a 1' 3" chain, but I guess the bank adds a little bit of difficulty to the trick. The main reason I put chains in the park is because I love to do tricks over chains. Especially when they're low to the ground. Chains do move, but I always make sure they're relatively still before I try a trick. Everything in the render is a skateable obstacle, except the ivy wall. The poles are 2' high, so people can ollie them into the bank. There's always that one guy who can ollie really high, so the poles are for them.

You bring up a good point about liability issues. Skateboarding is a dangerous sport and injuries are common, so the liability issues are definitely a concern to me too. My sole intent in skate park design is to design a place for people to have fun skateboarding in a relatively safe environment. I don't know how to make skateboarding 100% safe. Even if the entire park was flatground, someone will still probably get injured.

Skaters, what are your favorite types of spot to skate? Like tell me a little bit about your go-to skatespot. For example, do you most enjoy skating manual pads, stairs, ledges, or banks? My favorite is probably manual pads.

And then, what's your dream spot? Feel free to get as creative as you like. Mine would probably be a ramp over a chain. Kinda like in the render, but with more space between the bank and the chains.

@bumpovertrash The pole jam with the chains isn't terrifying to me! You just need to jump over the rail, but put your trucks in a grind too. If you don't make it, then you can lift up your feet and land past the chain, land on your feet, and run it off. Not to mention it's only about 10" high & only 2' of grinding. It's just big enough to get both trucks on. It's not as big as it looks.

I like sausage rails.

I wouldn't skate the double kinked rail, but I know other people could easily skate that who frequent my local skate parks. They skate rails everyday, so I think it'd get used. The rail is about 2'6" high, so it's 6" shorter than an ADA standardized street rail. And it'd be cool to watch in skate videos.

I agree that stairs aren't very fun to skate. I hate breaking my board and getting hurt on them, but other people seem to like stairs. My favorite stairs are 2-6 stairs. My biggest stair set ollie was 10 stairs, but I know other people who can do way more.

The park rails usually don't look very cool. No offense. So I get it. Why not just do it on a street rail.

I'm honestly kinda procrastinating on the skate park design. Just not feeling very motivated to design lately for some reason. Sorry if this disappoints anyone, but I just feel like my skate park designs aren't going anywhere. I feel like I'm designing for nothing because they never get built. Also, skate parks are really expensive. Maybe if I focus on something more feasible, like a portable obstacle or something...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:15:35 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2018, 04:44:51 AM »
my dream spot is anything that doesn't include double sets or chains..

shit_for_brains

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »
I like all the uninterrupted flat ground you have going.

shark tits

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2018, 10:51:21 AM »
what about a golf themed skate course? like sand traps and water traps for your board to go into? that could be fun. or maybe mini golf and you gotta skate through a tunnel while a windmill tries to thwack you preventatively.
skateparks are often a sterile environment but not burnside. maybe you could employ an older guy to 'create scene' and carve around drunk in a mesh hat demanding beer money from younger skaters?
they won't like it now but they'll reminisce fondly about 'paying their dues' and how kids today have it too easy when they get older.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »
If you put in chains I would connect them with hooks so you can take them out at any time, otherwise you kill the spot’s versatility.
I like pole jams but over a chain? Hell no!

Larger banks/transitions at the bottom to counter and utilize the speed of the bank and charge for going up. Having to push to kick out that bank tires out fast.

The rail is also too gnarly for my taste. People that casually skate real height kickers will skate them on street anyways. The skatepark is more a training ground. Having one side a straight hub a and the other side kinked would be nicer. You get two different obstacles on one set.
Maybe a euro on the bank. I really like the bridge! Maybe a bank to bank over the same gap would be cool. I always like gaps. And really try to keep flow and connectability in mind!

Keep at it, we need spots to be built nicely.

Check out “landhausplatz Innsbruck, Austria” the city gave permission to build out a public square with skate obstacles to connect two different social/recreational spaces and it worked perfectly

PMA