Author Topic: LGBTQ Skateboarding CNN Article  (Read 26141 times)

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:14:37 AM by Disco234 »
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

SHIREFLIP

Re: LGBTQ Skateboarding CNN Article
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 07:29:12 AM »
All of my posts on here thus far have been flippant and bullshitty, but I really hope I've never made anybody feel unwelcome at the skate park, for whatever reason.

...Except messy junkies and thieves, they can still get fucked.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 07:29:33 AM »
Some guy is falling off his board and I'm assuming "accidentally" grabs for her bra strap and this is a sign of aggression? Did I miss something in that opening gambit?

Also can we clarify if Jarret Berry ever went pro or not. Ed Templeton referred to him as a "marginal pro" so I'm assuming he did.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 07:42:40 AM »
Some guy is falling off his board and I'm assuming "accidentally" grabs for her bra strap and this is a sign of aggression? Did I miss something in that opening gambit?

Also can we clarify if Jarret Berry ever went pro or not. Ed Templeton referred to him as a "marginal pro" so I'm assuming he did.
He was pro for a second tier company, I think that's what Ed meant he just said it poorly, I saw him skate at one of The Texas Skate Jam events and the dude was really good, he has some clips in H Street Lick and Evol Back in Black and he was good as most of your mid to upper level arms at the time. He has weird interview somewhere and says he was a pretty shitty drug addict, guessing that with being semi openly gay will relagate you to small regional company.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgnFBxAnayN/?utm_source=ig_embed

And here I go with my bullshit: what exactly do they mean by "pay black women for their time?"

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 08:01:22 AM »

And here I go with my bullshit: what exactly do they mean by "pay black women for their time?"

Is this some contrived reparations shit?

I'm sorry for something I didn't do, I lynched somebody, but I don't know who. You blame me for slavery 200 years before I was born.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

Yu Dum

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:13:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm sorry for something I didn't do, I lynched somebody, but I don't know who. You blame me for slavery 200 years before I was born.
Not to provoke anything or come off as aggressive, but you do realize that it goes beyond just slavery, right? Jim Crowe era laws that still are in affect today on top of institutionalized racism and taught prejudice are pretty huge factors.
Don’t sit there and ask why you’re being “victimized.” Ask how you can help make society better for all humans.

Also, I know someone is going to try to pull some “quit the hippy bullshit” type of talk. You just don’t know how to be empathetic.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 08:28:41 AM »
Not sure if he qualifies for the af......

Pro nonetheless.....

GinosGroceries

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »

As a gay man, I feel as though this Instagram post is a little misguided.

"Cis dude" also includes gay men, so they should have been more specific if they meant straight dudes. If they did mean to include gay men in "cis dude" then it's hurtful because it's as if cis gay men aren't "queer enough" to attend.

An event like their's would seem to be about inclusion but there is a vibe of exclusivity especially when there is a check list you have to meet if you're not part of the lgbt family.

I 100% understand someone's deep seeded anger and frustration towards a group of people who have privileges that you feel you've been denied. I just think they should have been more tactful when making sure that those who attend are respectful.

butterballs for jerry

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 10:05:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Not to provoke anything or come off as aggressive, but you do realize that it goes beyond just slavery, right? Jim Crowe era laws that still are in affect today on top of institutionalized racism and taught prejudice are pretty huge factors.
Don’t sit there and ask why you’re being “victimized.” Ask how you can help make society better for all humans.

Also, I know someone is going to try to pull some “quit the hippy bullshit” type of talk. You just don’t know how to be empathetic.

I'm not trying to play the victim, it's just when people have their hands out asking for money (or are telling me to give them money) I gotta ask questions. Do you really think I owe black people money, or that they deserve the money I have because of the effects of racism that's been around for hundreds of years? Money at best would be treating the symptom, not the sickness. If they can't find some shit job (which is the only type of job I've ever worked) to make a living then that's on them. They can shovel shit, I've shoveled my fair share of it.

"Pay black women for their time". What the fuck does that even mean?

Sad Hippo

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 10:37:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not trying to play the victim, it's just when people have their hands out asking for money (or are telling me to give them money) I gotta ask questions. Do you really think I owe black people money, or that they deserve the money I have because of the effects of racism that's been around for hundreds of years? Money at best would be treating the symptom, not the sickness. If they can't find some shit job (which is the only type of job I've ever worked) to make a living then that's on them. They can shovel shit, I've shoveled my fair share of it.

Holy shit you're dense.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/10/today-isnt-equal-pay-day-for-black-latina-or-native-american-women.html

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »
How are you going to turn away fellow skaters from a publically owned and funded park? Ridiculous. You don't owe anybody anything more than common courtesy in this world.

In all my 20+ years of skateboarding, I've only had one really shitty experience. A high school kid who used to skate but piled out showed up all messed up and trying to start a fight. He grabbed my hair and dry humped me, I pushed him off. He walked over to the bowl. A crowd surrounded him, he threw a nearby lap dog yelling "get 'em!". The dog did not "get" anyone" He ended up beat pretty bad, blood all over his face. He exited the park to punch parked cars.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Holy shit you're dense.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/10/today-isnt-equal-pay-day-for-black-latina-or-native-american-women.html
If this guy is dense i must be made of bricks
I had to google cis male .

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 11:00:34 AM »
just here to comment on the fact gentle jones sig is a clip of himself
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »
Stop the hippy bullshit.

Stop empathy.

butterballs for jerry

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Holy shit you're dense.

So... more often than not they work for minimum wage. What do you want me to do about It? Why mention that in a post about skateboarding, in a sentence addressing the average dude skater? Do they think I can change something? What could possibly come out of That? I work for minimum wage, but if I wanted to get a loan and go to college I could. Are minority women denied loans?

And calling someone dense reeeeeally helps to change their mind and see the light. Insults are the best way to convince people!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »
He's gone full Weasley

shripshrapper

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »
This is why BA's coming put was so important to skateboarding and the culture in general. How much does the industry need to circlejerk itself about the legacy of Jay Adams, Danny Way, and Jeremy Klein?
As someone who is part of the LGBTQ community, it becomes really daunting to be involved with skateboarding when those known homophobes are lauded throughout skate culture as beyond criticism because of their skill level and industry status.

It's no surprise when these LGBTQ skate groups like this are popping up exponentially because skateboarding has undoubtedly marginalized women and queers until very recently. Granted, the whole "pay black women for their time" gripe is a little misguided, but at least they are not beating straight people to death for walking down the street holding their partner's hand.

Skateboarding needs more of this in our small community, not more pseudo jock bro's who vibe out people at their local park.

Skateboarding needs less of this, and more women/LGBTQ skaters that don't define their reality through the lens of gender and race.

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »
Expand Quote
This is why BA's coming put was so important to skateboarding and the culture in general. How much does the industry need to circlejerk itself about the legacy of Jay Adams, Danny Way, and Jeremy Klein?
As someone who is part of the LGBTQ community, it becomes really daunting to be involved with skateboarding when those known homophobes are lauded throughout skate culture as beyond criticism because of their skill level and industry status.

It's no surprise when these LGBTQ skate groups like this are popping up exponentially because skateboarding has undoubtedly marginalized women and queers until very recently. Granted, the whole "pay black women for their time" gripe is a little misguided, but at least they are not beating straight people to death for walking down the street holding their partner's hand.

Skateboarding needs more of this in our small community, not more pseudo jock bro's who vibe out people at their local park.
[close]

Skateboarding needs less of this, and more women/LGBTQ skaters that don't define their reality through the lens of gender and race.

The second a girl steps in a skateboard she is a skater girl, not a skater in the eyes of 99% of dudes at the skatepark. How do you suggest she change that reality?

Mongoloid

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »

This is so shocking considering everything he does is with the intention of pimping himself out.

veritas

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
This article was surprisingly good for CNN. You have to wonder how they hope to foster understanding and inclusion with that odd statement.

The people they’re telling to get lost are the ones who theoretically would benefit the most from interacting with the group. The last sentence of the article stands in total conflict with that insta post.

It is hilarious however, their mention of 1010 and his past resurfacing, and the fact that it’s now in a piece of recent major news media as an example of what’s wrong with the world still.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »
Go skate in the streets.

shripshrapper

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 11:48:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ah, the ol "be whoever you want to be, but don't you dare show any outward affinity to your inherent individual markup" argument. Just as stupid as saying you are okay with gay people, but don't you dare show any indication that you are gay.

You're an idiot.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The second a girl steps in a skateboard she is a skater girl, not a skater in the eyes of 99% of dudes at the skatepark. How do you suggest she change that reality?

That isn't a reality. You can't just pull blanket statements out of your ass and use them as the basis for your victimhood worldview. So "she" probably doesn't have to change anything, besides grow some self-esteem.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 11:50:27 AM »
I just read that there isn't an openly gay professional athlete in any north american major sports league (confirm?), which just reaffirmed what I had always believed anyway - skateboarding is AHEAD of the curve when it comes to acceptance and inclusivity.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »

As a gay man, I feel as though this Instagram post is a little misguided.

"Cis dude" also includes gay men, so they should have been more specific if they meant straight dudes. If they did mean to include gay men in "cis dude" then it's hurtful because it's as if cis gay men aren't "queer enough" to attend.

An event like their's would seem to be about inclusion but there is a vibe of exclusivity especially when there is a check list you have to meet if you're not part of the lgbt family.

I 100% understand someone's deep seeded anger and frustration towards a group of people who have privileges that you feel you've been denied. I just think they should have been more tactful when making sure that those who attend are respectful.

This is a good point. The instagram post definitely has its heart in the right place but they seem to have a poorly defined view of how to deliver their message. It also feels as though they are making a general statement about non-LGBTQ individuals and then implying that they should be excluded from this event. Not trying to say "hey we're the victims here" but from in my experience it is beneficial to have allies from all sides to strengthen a cause.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »
I just read that there isn't an openly gay professional athlete in any north american major sports league (confirm?), which just reaffirmed what I had always believed anyway - skateboarding is AHEAD of the curve when it comes to acceptance and inclusivity.
Jason Collins came out while an active player in the NBA in 2013.  Four years later, BA came out.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 12:10:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Jason Collins came out while an active player in the NBA in 2013.  Four years later, BA came out.

Thanks! Guess he's done now though, and that's why the article I read said there were no openly gay athletes currently playing... but now a soccer player came out just yesterday. BA isn't alone anymore with people like Fore, Sablone, Lacey  etc...

shripshrapper

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 12:18:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ah, the ol "be whoever you want to be, but don't you dare show any outward affinity to your inherent individual markup" argument. Just as stupid as saying you are okay with gay people, but don't you dare show any indication that you are gay.
[close]

You're an idiot.
[close]

How to win an argument when you don't have a legitimate response: call them names. You sure showed me!

After your boneheaded response you really think you deserved a well thought out reply?

I said: we need "more women/LGBTQ skaters that don't define their reality through the lens of gender and race."

You take that as: "be whoever you want to be, but don't you dare show any outward affinity to your inherent individual markup"

So I'll repeat the result of my analysis: You're an idiot.

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That isn't a reality. You can't just pull blanket statements out of your ass and use them as the basis for your victimhood worldview. So "she" probably doesn't have to change anything, besides grow some self-esteem.

Lol sure. Girls aren't judged different at skateparks/spots. Def.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:24:00 PM by eraserheadfuckers »

shripshrapper

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol sure. Girls aren't judged different at skateparks/spots. Def.

You know.. There's a spot in between "99% of guys see a girl as less than" and "Girls aren't judged different at skateparks".

For fucks sakes, I hope you're not this much of a polarizing dunce in your regular life.