Author Topic: LGBTQ Skateboarding CNN Article  (Read 26142 times)

fulltechnicalskizzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
Re: LGBTQ Skateboarding CNN Article
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2018, 12:30:08 PM »

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is why BA's coming put was so important to skateboarding and the culture in general. How much does the industry need to circlejerk itself about the legacy of Jay Adams, Danny Way, and Jeremy Klein?
As someone who is part of the LGBTQ community, it becomes really daunting to be involved with skateboarding when those known homophobes are lauded throughout skate culture as beyond criticism because of their skill level and industry status.

It's no surprise when these LGBTQ skate groups like this are popping up exponentially because skateboarding has undoubtedly marginalized women and queers until very recently. Granted, the whole "pay black women for their time" gripe is a little misguided, but at least they are not beating straight people to death for walking down the street holding their partner's hand.

Skateboarding needs more of this in our small community, not more pseudo jock bro's who vibe out people at their local park.
[close]

Skateboarding needs less of this, and more women/LGBTQ skaters that don't define their reality through the lens of gender and race.
[close]

The second a girl steps in a skateboard she is a skater girl, not a skater in the eyes of 99% of dudes at the skatepark. How do you suggest she change that reality?
[close]

That isn't a reality. You can't just pull blanket statements out of your ass and use them as the basis for your victimhood worldview. So "she" probably doesn't have to change anything, besides grow some self-esteem.
[close]

Lol sure. Girls aren't judged different at skateparks/spots. Def.
[close]

You know.. There's a spot in between "99% of guys see a girl as less than" and "Girls aren't judged different at skateparks".

For fucks sakes, I hope you're not this much of a polarizing dunce in your regular life.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is why BA's coming put was so important to skateboarding and the culture in general. How much does the industry need to circlejerk itself about the legacy of Jay Adams, Danny Way, and Jeremy Klein?
As someone who is part of the LGBTQ community, it becomes really daunting to be involved with skateboarding when those known homophobes are lauded throughout skate culture as beyond criticism because of their skill level and industry status.

It's no surprise when these LGBTQ skate groups like this are popping up exponentially because skateboarding has undoubtedly marginalized women and queers until very recently. Granted, the whole "pay black women for their time" gripe is a little misguided, but at least they are not beating straight people to death for walking down the street holding their partner's hand.

Skateboarding needs more of this in our small community, not more pseudo jock bro's who vibe out people at their local park.
[close]

Skateboarding needs less of this, and more women/LGBTQ skaters that don't define their reality through the lens of gender and race.
[close]

Ah, the ol "be whoever you want to be, but don't you dare show any outward affinity to your inherent individual markup" argument. Just as stupid as saying you are okay with gay people, but don't you dare show any indication that you are gay.
[close]

You're an idiot.
[close]

How to win an argument when you don't have a legitimate response: call them names. You sure showed me!
[close]

After your boneheaded response you really think you deserved a well thought out reply?

I said: we need "more women/LGBTQ skaters that don't define their reality through the lens of gender and race."

You take that as: "be whoever you want to be, but don't you dare show any outward affinity to your inherent individual markup"

So I'll repeat the result of my analysis: You're an idiot.
[close]

Do tell, how does a woman or LGBTQ skater "define" their reality without acknowledging they are a woman or LGBTQ?

You seem hung up on outward appearances and "affinity". I was talking about someones individual perspective, not what groups you like on social media, or what logo/wristbands you like to decorate yourself with.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ah, the ol "be whoever you want to be, but don't you dare show any outward affinity to your inherent individual markup" argument. Just as stupid as saying you are okay with gay people, but don't you dare show any indication that you are gay.
[close]

You're an idiot.
[close]

How to win an argument when you don't have a legitimate response: call them names. You sure showed me!
[close]

After your boneheaded response you really think you deserved a well thought out reply?

I said: we need "more women/LGBTQ skaters that don't define their reality through the lens of gender and race."

You take that as: "be whoever you want to be, but don't you dare show any outward affinity to your inherent individual markup"

[close]

Do tell, how does a woman or LGBTQ skater "define" their reality without acknowledging they are a woman or LGBTQ?
[close]

You seem hung up on outward appearances and "affinity". I was talking about someones individual perspective, not what groups you like on social media, or what logo/wristbands you like to decorate yourself with.
[close]

Do you honestly believe that someones individual perspective isn't at least somewhat defined by their gender or sexuality?
Only if they make it so. I've gotta side with shripshrapper on this. I have no objection to any group wishing to host their own skate events but the type of gender/sexuality politics you are arguing for do not align with inclusivity. You are presenting yourself as an idiot.

shark tits

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2018, 01:14:41 PM »
remember when gershon and kareem and lil stevie didn't get any respect from cis hetero white skaters so they called 'black swim' at the skatepark and allies could give them money  to 'pay for their contributions'?
me neither.
skate and get respected. not cause you bought a shirt and a complete.
goes for any type of person.
pull this crybaby shit and you make it harder for the next marginalized group.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »
Granted, the whole "pay black women for their time" gripe is a little misguided, but at least they are not beating straight people to death for walking down the street holding their partner's hand.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're an idiot.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do you honestly believe that someones individual perspective isn't at least somewhat defined by their gender or sexuality?
[close]
Only if they make it so. I've gotta side with shripshrapper on this. I have no objection to any group wishing to host their own skate events but the type of gender/sexuality politics you are arguing for do not align with inclusivity. You are presenting yourself as an idiot.
[close]

My argument is that if people want to define themselves by their identity, they should be more than welcome to. And if someone doesn't want to identify themselves by their sexuality/gender then more power to them. I never said that straight, cis people shouldn't be allowed to attend these events. That goes against everything I believe in.

But to say that queer people or women haven't faced scrutiny because of their outward identity is flat-out bullshit. You need to talk to these people and hear about their experiences. The same way I talk to my conservative friends and they tell me about their experiences. Empathizing with people is so lost on people nowadays.
That's not what I said. Also you asked about "individual perspective", that's defined by them, the individual. You know in the Female SOTY thread where someone posted Bill Burr being asked about female comedians and he responded along the lines of "why are you waiting for outside validation? Why don't you make your own shit?" Well this rings true to me. If you think you are not being given your dues in this community but expect to be treated differently why not do your own shit? Create your own "industry"? Sharktits has a point about Gershon, Stevie and Kareem.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
remember when gershon and kareem and lil stevie didn't get any respect from cis hetero white skaters so they called 'black swim' at the skatepark and allies could give them money  to 'pay for their contributions'?
me neither.
skate and get respected. not cause you bought a shirt and a complete high wasted dickies
goes for any type of person.
pull this crybaby shit and you make it harder for the next marginalized group.

still trying to figure out how i can be the Dickies Women tm

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2018, 02:10:32 PM »
Kids always want revenge for the wrongs of the world. But really this just a CNN article, it ain't skateboarding. I just hope people can stop fallin for this gender politic bullshit and rise above.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »
what i don't get is that they seem to want to be a part of "our" culture, but their way in always seems to be by excluding themselves from it...

and i kinda wonder, who started out skating and wasn't terrified the first time they went to the local skatepark? i'm a white privileged cis dude and didn't feel at home in the beginning either.

Hoeboi

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »
Expand Quote
crybaby shit
[close]
you are a trashcan from head to toe. who do you think you are fooling

who the fuck is that old bald Tilly's employee trying to skate in your sig?

shark tits

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2018, 02:23:17 PM »
Expand Quote
crybaby shit
[close]
you are a trashcan from head to toe. who do you think you are fooling
i don't wanna suck my own dick or derail this thread but what the fuck have you done for minorities?
you appropriate black culture [poorly w/ your wack rap], you appropriate pediphile culture w/ that mustache and you suck at skating.
for how 'racist' i am, my on/of gf is half black/half irish, i filmed most of bruh man's [vietnamese skater] instagram bangers this month, the DIY i'm part of is used by brown, yellow, white and black skaters and homeless people.
and last yr i gave a black lesbian a complete cause i didn't wanna see her pushing around on a longboard.
what the fuck have you done positively? not ruining some old fart [your age] career or stealing hiphop.
or making fun of a rape murder by an 80s skater to sell boards.
what have you done for anyone?
i don't tell nobody to kill themselves cause i don't want it on my head if you do but maybe focus your account, stop skating and for the love of all that is gnarly and rad, stop self promoting.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
ao went full lgbtq yesterday
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2018, 02:33:08 PM »
All I can say is that I took my son to the skate park in Costa Mesa at the Volcom Park he is nine years old and boy was he scared of all the skating around him And he would prefer that I roll around with him until he gets more comfortable with the park
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
and last yr i gave a black lesbian a complete cause i didn't wanna see her pushing around on a longboard.

Did you call her the n word in the process?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

shark tits

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

do i call anyone the 'n word'?
i say wigger but i don't think i called anyone the n word, strawman.
what have you done to combat racism or to further minorities? calling people racist on slap doesn't count, what real world contributions have you made?

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2018, 02:39:03 PM »
guys, it’s just some people who wanna get together and ride skateboards together.

/thread

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2018, 03:06:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're an idiot.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

My argument is that if people want to define themselves by their identity, they should be more than welcome to. And if someone doesn't want to identify themselves by their sexuality/gender then more power to them. I never said that straight, cis people shouldn't be allowed to attend these events. That goes against everything I believe in.

But to say that queer people or women haven't faced scrutiny because of their outward identity is flat-out bullshit. You need to talk to these people and hear about their experiences. The same way I talk to my conservative friends and they tell me about their experiences. Empathizing with people is so lost on people nowadays.
[close]
That's not what I said. Also you asked about "individual perspective", that's defined by them, the individual. You know in the Female SOTY thread where someone posted Bill Burr being asked about female comedians and he responded along the lines of "why are you waiting for outside validation? Why don't you make your own shit?" Well this rings true to me. If you think you are not being given your dues in this community but expect to be treated differently why not do your own shit? Create your own "industry"? Sharktits has a point about Gershon, Stevie and Kareem.
[close]
My guy, they are making their own shit. The exact topic we are discussing is about LGBTQ making their own shit. It's the same thing with gay bars. Gay people were being bashed and discriminated upon when they went to straight bars so they built their own to feel safe and welcomed. Now when these LGBTQ people are creating their own companies and scenes, they get the same tired SJW victimhood talking points lauded against them.

If they felt welcome in the traditional skateboarding community, then there wouldn't necessitate a need for these queer groups. I hope my points are coming across clearly, I want to understand and empathize with where you are coming from but all I have gotten is me being called an idiot. That's slap I guess though.
Nope. What is your point?

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
what have you done to combat racism or to further minorities? calling people racist on slap doesn't count, what real world contributions have you made?

Every time you say this word you are calling black people the n word. There is no escaping that.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »
Can somebody please just beat the fuck out of shark tit’s sealioninng ass? He’s such a trash nazi loser scumbag, I have no idea how he posts his racist bullshit peacefully, while others get vibed.

This is just a thread of trashy assholes LOSING THEIR FUCKING MINDS over the idea of creating a community that helps them feel like they belong in skateboarding.

Literally nothing they do excludes straight white males from skateboarding, they just meet together at public places to support each other. I’ve been to skateparks when groups like the ones mentioned above have been there. They’ve never told me to leave, just asked me to be respectful of those who were there and why they were there, which apparently is too much for the triggered racists of slap.
And lets be real, your claim that you don’t like them for being exclusive (which they are NOT) is really just you finding a reason to complain about people trying to build a more diverse community in skateboarding, and its very transparent.

As far as people of color not creating their own communities and safe spaces in skateboarding...of course they fucking did. Back in the 80’s when vert was hot and swastikas were just chill decorations, there weren’t many skateboarders of color, as they didn’t feel welcome. In fact, I’ve heard the discussion MILLIONS of times where black kids call skateboarding a “white sport” to this day. So yeah, community like that was and is necessary, and guess what, spots like EMB and companies like World, Menace, Chocolate, and DGK came around to help build black community within the skateboard community.

And to the dumb racist who said race and gender shouldn’t matter, that may be true, but guess what? Whether they should or shouldn’t matter, they do matter, and you trying to deny positive expression of those individual experiences are trash.

And seriously, all of you who claim LGBT people don’t deserve their own space in skateboarding are just bigot trash who have no place in skateboarding.

Now, on to the actual humans in this thread (unlike subhuman trash like sharktits and his trashy bigot followers), lets discuss the merit of the article as we would any other article:
One thing that annoyed me is their complete passing over of Unity as an LGBT+ brand and community. The article somehow brings up a much less-known sister brand to Unity, which is cool, but it literally only talks about Unity in relation to that brand.
Unity and Jeffery Cheung deserve more shine.

Oh, and Jarret Berry was a pro for a couple Chicago companies. I used to seriously admire him as a local skateboard hero. He had a part in the 90’s in Cold Broke, a video by Tough Guy skateboards, that was sick. Grinding rails in the high teens, throwing biggerspin heelflips into lines, etc. dude was a solid skater. Oh, and Tough Guy was a predecessor to Affiliate skateboards if anybody remembers that.

In closing, good people on slap need to chase these nazi-lovers like Sharktits and the new losers off this board.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Hoeboi

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2018, 03:29:17 PM »
In closing, good people on slap need to chase these nazi-lovers like Sharktits and the new losers off this board.

but you'll have no one to aim your self entitled abusive rants at. your existence will become futile

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2018, 03:30:20 PM »
No ones mad about them creating their own group. Its the lowkey shit talking to non lgbgt people that people don't like. Its not hard to understand.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're an idiot.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
My guy, they are making their own shit. The exact topic we are discussing is about LGBTQ making their own shit. It's the same thing with gay bars. Gay people were being bashed and discriminated upon when they went to straight bars so they built their own to feel safe and welcomed. Now when these LGBTQ people are creating their own companies and scenes, they get the same tired SJW victimhood talking points lauded against them.

If they felt welcome in the traditional skateboarding community, then there wouldn't necessitate a need for these queer groups. I hope my points are coming across clearly, I want to understand and empathize with where you are coming from but all I have gotten is me being called an idiot. That's slap I guess though.
[close]
Nope. What is your point?
[close]

Read my original post. These LGBTQ skate groups have exactly 0 effect on your day to day skating. They are for people that need them. Is that really so awful?
I didn't claim they had any effect on my day to day skating. You were applying politics to it, not me. I'm all for their groups.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2018, 03:33:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

what exactly were you implying, my nigger?

ghandi was a nigger killing son-of=a=bitch
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:39:17 PM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
No ones mad about them creating their own group. Its the lowkey shit talking to non lgbgt people that people don't like. Its not hard to understand.

This. The gipper up there is classic kook material.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2018, 03:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh, fucking waaaaaah.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2018, 03:47:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is how easy it is for white people. They are worried about being shit talked when all these other groups are worried and discrimination and safety. Poor babies.

Hoeboi

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2018, 03:53:00 PM »
mad rock to fakies went down at that session guaranteed

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is how easy it is for white people. They are worried about being shit talked when all these other groups are worried and discrimination and safety. Poor babies.

I know right. Tired of arguing with people who live in this alternative reality where they actually think LGBTQ people are harassing and oppressing them.