Author Topic: Geek Sh*t (Computers, Phones, Tech, Etc.)  (Read 1443 times)

beatifk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
Geek Sh*t (Computers, Phones, Tech, Etc.)
« on: July 04, 2018, 12:56:01 AM »
Is there a thread for this already? Couldn't find it, but then again, I didn't go really far back (I stopped around pg 5 of the topics).

Here we can talk about nerdy tech things.

I am not tech savy at all, I've been using apple products for as long as I can remember but I feel like soon I'll be dipping my toes into non apple stuff.

Mostly, I want to buy a tablet for reading comics. And really only reading comics. I have a Kindle that I use all the time and I love it as a replacement to piles and piles of heavy books (I move a lot and like to own very little stuff) but I miss reading comics. I've been looking at the Amazon Fire HD 10 but it's not available in my country currently and also I'd rather not support that Lex Luthor-looking megalomaniac that runs that hellish company. I've been looking at Lenovo Tab 4 10 because it's cheap, and it has a 10 inch screen. It runs on android so there are comics reading apps available. Literally all I want this for is like an e-reader for comics. Is there any others I should look at? I live in Europe so the stuff available in the USA is not always available here.

Also, my iphone 5 is on it's last legs. I'm waiting for the iphone SE 2 but maybe it will never come out. What phones are comparable in size to the iphone 5/SE. I hate big phones. And I really don't care about features like cameras and whatnot. I would buy a little nokia phone if I could run whatsapp on it. I'm looking at that Lite Phone 2 but that doesn't come out for a long time unfortunately.

Let's get geeky everyone.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Re: Geek Sh*t (Computers, Phones, Tech, Etc.)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »
I always buy the low mid range stuff because I don't give a lot of fucks. People who worship Apple shit are strange and should not be trusted.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »
Get an Apple iPad, better technology and reliability. Others are only chasing chasing apple.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 10:08:47 PM »
Get an Apple iPad, better technology and reliability. Others are only chasing chasing apple.

I've been tempted to buy one for skyping my fiance, can you recommend any for under $300 that are still decent? I'm just a bit skeptical about getting one because I hear updates for ipads make the older models run slower.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:29:00 AM by Hmmmm Nice Bike »

beatifk

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 11:01:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been tempted to buy one for skying my fiance, can you recommend any for under $300 that are still decent? I'm just a bit skeptical about getting one because I hear updates for ipads make the older models run slower.

This is true (I think). That's why I'm a bit skeptical of Pigeon's recommendation to buy a used ipad from 2012 because my mother actually offered me her old ipad probably not even as old as 2012 and it was running SO SLOW. I don't know if it was due to user error (she's not super tech-savvy) or just because of planned obsolescence on apple's part.

beatifk

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 05:42:00 AM »
Fuck it, I just bought a brand new 2017 ipad 32GB for €279. I want it for a long trip this month so I didn't have time to shop around and overthink it. And I worked like 100 hours overtime last month so €100 more than the super budget version is nothing really to worry about. And I'm getting more storage and a better screen (I guess, who cares?).

I read that the new 2018 ipads have a newer processor and they work with the stupid apple pencil but other than that the 2017 is essentially the same thing, but since stores want to get rid of them they're all on sale all over the place.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:02:00 AM by beatifk »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 07:20:44 AM »
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tablets/galaxy-tab-a/galaxy-tab-a-8-inch-32gb-silver-sm-t380nzsexar/

I have the older model of this tablet. It's probably two years old and still works fine for what I use it for. Not the best by any means, but will probably work fine for what you need. Only $200 brand new. Used ones or older models will be even cheaper.

For phones, I'd recommend samsung again, but go with an older galaxy or note, do not go with the cheap-o budget models. I had a cheap one and it was really slow, the camera sucked, and it was always behind on the software updates because they focus on the flagship phones when they come out with new shit. They might seem expensive, but honestly I think paying the money for the flagship phone is worth it in the long run. They're fast, reliable, and being able to take a decent photo when you want to is actually really nice to be able to do. You can find decent deals on brand new older models on amazon.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »
I always buy the low mid range stuff because I don't give a lot of fucks. People who worship Apple shit are strange and should not be trusted.

I own Apple and non-Apple stuff and every once in a while I’ll peek into MacRumors or another Apple-related site and notice hardcore Apple people are like religious fundamentalists. If you have a question about using an iPhone with a PC they might answer your question but they’ll also tell you to get a Mac next time. I don’t understand why they go to bat so hard for a company. It’s not like they all work for Apple.

beatifk

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tablets/galaxy-tab-a/galaxy-tab-a-8-inch-32gb-silver-sm-t380nzsexar/

I have the older model of this tablet. It's probably two years old and still works fine for what I use it for. Not the best by any means, but will probably work fine for what you need. Only $200 brand new. Used ones or older models will be even cheaper.

Yeah, if I could've done with a 8" model it would've been a lot easier to find something. But I need a bigger screen for reading comics. I know it's stupid, but that's the reason I need something bigger.

One of my colleagues has a samsung phone and wants to buy a top-of-the-line samsung tablet to replace his heavy 15" macbookpro for travel because he's really convinced by samsung products these days.

My friend gave me her old phone to use when mine completely stops working so I'm hoping that will last me until that Lite Phone 2 comes out... because I don't want to spend any more money on stupid gadgets right now.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 11:11:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I own Apple and non-Apple stuff and every once in a while I’ll peek into MacRumors or another Apple-related site and notice hardcore Apple people are like religious fundamentalists. If you have a question about using an iPhone with a PC they might answer your question but they’ll also tell you to get a Mac next time. I don’t understand why they go to bat so hard for a company. It’s not like they all work for Apple.

I dislike Apple for these reasons. I will never buy an iphone, especially since the hardware is inferior to most flagship non-apple phones.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 10:55:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been tempted to buy one for skyping my fiance, can you recommend any for under $300 that are still decent? I'm just a bit skeptical about getting one because I hear updates for ipads make the older models run slower.

iPad pro would rule supreme for what you want it for.  im definitely stroked on mine.

beatifk

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 12:09:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

iPad pro would rule supreme for what you want it for.  im definitely stroked on mine.

I'm pretty sure those cost way more than $300.