Author Topic: Grabs  (Read 1672 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Grabs
« on: August 08, 2018, 06:46:21 PM »
This might come across as extremely lame and deserving of ridicule for a lot of people here on slap, but I’ve never really learned what makes up all the kinds of grabs.

My friends and I didn’t have a skatepark or ramp or whatever growing up skating, so I never learned anything about transition skating besides what I could glean from the rare instances I didn’t fast forward through the vert sections in videos.

After a recent move, I finally have a park to skate.  It’s awesome learning a whole different side of skating and I have way more respect for dudes that skate pools and vert now that I’ve actually tried it myself.

Anyways, it got me wondering about what the hell all the types of grabs are.  There are some that are pretty obvious like a tail grab or super distinct like benihanas, but beyond that, I don’t know what makes a Indy or a stalefish or a lien, etc.

Can someone that knows what the fuck they are talking about run down what each grab and invert is?  I’d be willing to bet that I’m not the only one that could benefit from something like this.  It makes sense: if you and your buddies skate nothing but street spots, how are you supposed to learn what the fuck a lein air is?  (That’s a thing, right?)

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

thomas kook

Re: Grabs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 02:42:00 AM »
or you could watch a couple old vert attack livestreams and figure it out yourself. it's not that hard and you'll have fun watching some skateboarding in the meantime

The Dope

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:18:05 AM »
Yeah you could probably google like "skateboard grabs cheat sheet". I know that Crab Grab just released a new cheat sheet for snowboarding grabs.

https://cdn-snowboarding.transworld.net/blogs.dir/442/files/2018/07/Crab_Grab_TWSNOW_Directory_Diagram-SP18-GOOFY.jpg

Not Local

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:56:58 AM »
Do not age over 40. Don't drink beer. Tuck your knee.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:15:35 PM by Not Local »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:35:49 AM »
I was hoping someone would just do all the work for me. :'(
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

cloudy

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:52 AM »
did you never play any skateboarding video games?! thrasher skate and destroy was my favorite. don't tell danny gonzalez though. nothing like pulling off a 540 frigid air over the new york subway.

2:59 - 4:51. he goes through all the classic grabs for you, such as "the superdude"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoPXd1MuSdE

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »
Don't worry about learning them all, the only one you need to know is the japan.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
Don't worry about learning them all, the only one you need to know is the japan.

I would say the only one you need to know is stinkbug.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:46:16 PM »
You can look up most of them online. The important thing to note is that you have to turn backside for an Indy air. The same grab going straight or turning frontside is still a frontside grab.