Author Topic: Played-Out Graphics Motifs?  (Read 16530 times)

cloudy

Re: Played-Out Graphics Motifs?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 06:48:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The scratch ticket shit, Real did it, DGK did it, I'm sure there are others
[close]
Birdhouse did it waaaaay before anyone else if I remember correctly.
[close]
World industries did that too, have no clue about who did it first tho.
[close]
Pat Duffy Plan B was the first. They took dead stock boards and had the scratchy print over them to get rid of the boards but also had some "winning" boards printed. The non winning boards were other team riders graphics from prior releases. I can't remember what you won but it was a great way to get rid of boards with older graphics.
[close]
Pretty sure Baker had a scratch ticket Ellington.

I actually like the concept and don't think it's played out at all. If anything I want more companies to do it. I want a chance to win stuff just for buying something I was already going to buy.
[close]

Deathwish did it with Ellington, LK, and Dickson

deathwish:

dgk:

real:

(edit) creature:

(edit) heroin:

glenn:

honestly though, world industries probably had the freshest approach to the scratch-off ticket motif. this 1999 article from the la times is pure gold - http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jun/12/business/fi-45592. ("I think World Industries should be banished," he said. "It's one of those companies that make people think skateboarders are evil.")
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:36:52 AM by cloudy »

chipped tail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 07:12:52 AM »
Creature did some scratcher decks too

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Pat Duffy Plan B was the first. They took dead stock boards and had the scratchy print over them to get rid of the boards but also had some "winning" boards printed. The non winning boards were other team riders graphics from prior releases. I can't remember what you won but it was a great way to get rid of boards with older graphics.
[close]

I actually like the concept and don't think it's played out at all. If anything I want more companies to do it. I want a chance to win stuff just for buying something I was already going to buy.
[close]
Found the ad. It's from '92.

Duffy supposedly rigged the contest so his friend won. Little side note...

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »
Haha really?  How did he do that?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »
"It's 1990 boys, let's get rid of the skeletons."

@3:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dva-n1zRctE
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

BullweyHuskey

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
i can only disagree with most of the people here. sure the scratch card decks are awufl, but cartoons that werent made by kayo on some ghetto mickey mouse shit are and were always cool to me. i remeber old birdhouse blind and shortys boards that had really great ones. i also like some artsy quasi type boards some of yall seem to dislike.
to me its the details that make great ideas complete bullshit. to me the most ugly skate graphics right now are from plan b, real and dgk. i also dont get the hype about 917 there boards look so ugly. to me chocolate boards were always pretty boring, i think most of their boards get sold as a collection for a 30 year old guy that is a little to hip and hangs them next to their coffle table. otherwise i couldnt explain how you want a drawing of a 1976 motorcycle under a light green background.

to me nothing is played out when its made good, if its just a cheap way of coppying fa boards its just bad.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
I used to always like Acme graphics back in the days when they did a lot of comic book drawings. Even Zoo was dope when they were the only Hop-Hop referenced brand.

Western Edition remains to be the best to me. Small run, consistant look, and very fitting for an SF brand representing that Jazz heritage.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »

Gave him the board with the Hensley graphic.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 12:05:15 PM »
I’ve never understood the fascination with Evan Hecox.  Especially the portraits... they look pretty uninspired and amateurish to me.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »
I’ve never understood the fascination with Evan Hecox.  Especially the portraits... they look pretty uninspired and amateurish to me.

Yonnie and Jerry's portrait boards look great. The trunk boyz ones seemed off. 

His font is what makes him more so to me than his graphics. Also I think what helps is the riders that he made the graphics for. If he did graphics for another company, it just wouldn't be the same.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 12:25:09 PM »
Powell Peralta skulls.  They are fine for the reissues from the 80s, but come on....   the new shit is horrible.

https://powell-peralta.com/skateboard-decks/pro-series

BullweyHuskey

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »

yesss me neither. i always thought id get it one day like i used to hate on some sorts of vegteables and some typs of music and as i was growing up my taste expanded. but no, now that im older i still think chocolate boards are boring as hell and dont look that good as grown ups that own coffe tables want them to. i mean there are some lowkey toned down boards where nothing really catches your eye from other board brands that i like but somehow i really dislike his work.

BullweyHuskey

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »
Powell Peralta skulls.  They are fine for the reissues from the 80s, but come on....   the new shit is horrible.

https://powell-peralta.com/skateboard-decks/pro-series

wow those really look awful. badly drawn cartoony not bad ass or hardcore looking skulls mixed with some really bad matching colors and asian culture. 1/10

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »
Brains coming out the ears
That skull, with the dagger through

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2018, 12:40:25 PM »
I always thought I’d like Hecox graphics too and just like you, it’s never clicked.

Those Powell graphics are all over Nigel Alexander’s YouTube videos.  I’d have no problem riding those if I got them for free, but there’s no way I’d spend money on them.

BullweyHuskey

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2018, 12:51:57 PM »
id skate complete blank boards if id get them for free. those just look sooooooooo ugly. give me microsoft paint and 5 min and my deck design would look better.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2018, 01:22:40 PM »
I know someone mentioned biting corporate graphics, but I'll point out cereal brands, in particular. I remember Shorty's doing it more than once, and a quick google search shows DGK, Primitive, and Baker have done the same.

GinosGroceries

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2018, 01:41:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Deathwish did it with Ellington, LK, and Dickson
[close]

deathwish:

dgk:

real:

(edit) creature:

(edit) heroin:

glenn:

honestly though, world industries probably had the freshest approach to the scratch-off ticket motif. this 1999 article from the la times is pure gold - http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jun/12/business/fi-45592. ("I think World Industries should be banished," he said. "It's one of those companies that make people think skateboarders are evil.")

Someone is selling the winning Baker Ellington Scratch Fever deck on eBay
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Baker-Erik-Ellington-Scratch-fever-Winning-Skateboard-Deck-Vintage-Deathwish-/173352541837

Damn, Glenn is always ahead of the game.

GinosGroceries

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 01:42:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gave him the board with the Hensley graphic.

It's a conspiracy!!

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »
id suck a dick for heroin to put out another set of those lucky cat/shimizu series boards

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »
id skate complete blank boards if id get them for free. those just look sooooooooo ugly. give me microsoft paint and 5 min and my deck design would look better.
You just described Frogs design approach.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
id suck a dick for heroin to put out another set of those lucky cat/shimizu series boards
yikes be safe out there

BullweyHuskey

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You just described Frogs design approach.

but it works its fun.
those powell boards was probably drawn by a guy who calls himself an artist but has a horrible taste, wasted about 100 hours on those boards and charged some good money for it.
would still buy a frog board over this

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2018, 04:28:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yesss me neither. i always thought id get it one day like i used to hate on some sorts of vegteables and some typs of music and as i was growing up my taste expanded. but no, now that im older i still think chocolate boards are boring as hell and dont look that good as grown ups that own coffe tables want them to. i mean there are some lowkey toned down boards where nothing really catches your eye from other board brands that i like but somehow i really dislike his work.

I love Evan Hecox's art; then again I'm 30 and love coffee, not coffee tables though and I don't think I'm hip at all. Part of Chocolate's imagery used to go over my head when I was a kid because it was too clean and refined for me to identify with - I was skating grimey parking lots every day - but over the years it grew on me, especially after I started appreciating fine arts more and also got to check out some of his books and pieces that were never intended to be skate related, which I find to be deeper and looks a bit different (e.g. a lot more landscapes). It is worth mentioning that as much as I like what he does, though, I don't like the skaters' portraits posted above either, those feel rushed in the way that it's too obvious that they are a commercial production as opposed to artwork that would be more genuine like what he does on the side.

On a side note, I liked Randozzi's exchange with Traffic's graphic artist Mike Stein recently on Theories, regarding portraits on decks:

"There are no written rules for skateboarding except for the ones we make up. Like with Rick and Bobby, they have their vision of what is acceptable to them. I have always heard from a few sources that there are three or four things that are not supposed be in board graphics. Taboos, if you will.

One – no skater's doing tricks in a graphic.

True.

Two – portraits.

With a few exceptions I totally agree. That said I love the OG Chocolate portraits.

Three – boards on boards.

Dude, you're nailing it. I agree with all of them."

http://www.theoriesofatlantis.com/features/2018/5/29/artists-of-theory-mike-stein

thisisnotepic

• Rep: 88
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 04:38:17 AM »
Expand Quote
There are definitely more played out motifs than this. Board graphics overall have been on the same shit for years. I'm sick of cartoons in general on boards. But even the new small companies have been generic. If it's not a cartoon, it's a random portrait or an off-center picture of flowers/sculpture.
[close]

put your user pic on a board and ill skate it

that'll be $100.00 USD please

fergus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2018, 05:25:03 AM »
The official collaboration boards that have become more common lately.
The Primitive/Rick and Morty boards are the worst of the bunch.

cloudy

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 06:22:55 AM »
I know someone mentioned biting corporate graphics, but I'll point out cereal brands, in particular. I remember Shorty's doing it more than once, and a quick google search shows DGK, Primitive, and Baker have done the same.

shorty's:

dgk:

baker:

primitive:

stain industries, brought to you by creative visionary madrob:

cloudy

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2018, 06:31:03 AM »

On a side note, I liked Randozzi's exchange with Traffic's graphic artist Mike Stein recently on Theories, regarding portraits on decks:

Expand Quote
"There are no written rules for skateboarding except for the ones we make up. Like with Rick and Bobby, they have their vision of what is acceptable to them. I have always heard from a few sources that there are three or four things that are not supposed be in board graphics. Taboos, if you will.

One – no skater's doing tricks in a graphic.

True.

Two – portraits.

With a few exceptions I totally agree. That said I love the OG Chocolate portraits.

Three – boards on boards.

Dude, you're nailing it. I agree with all of them."
[close]

http://www.theoriesofatlantis.com/features/2018/5/29/artists-of-theory-mike-stein

that's pretty funny. first thing that came to mind was the chief, habitual line stepper that he is. and wouldn't rule one also always be breaking rule three? or is rule three like just a board by itself? like when girl did the crailtap magic board deck?

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2018, 06:47:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

stain industries, brought to you by creative visionary madrob:

Can some one explain me this? Serial killer?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »

I posted this in the trend watch, but DGK, Powell, Primitive, creature, & SC all have japanese motifs or Hiragana currently
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0342/5665/products/PS18W0052PJ-RODRIGUEZ-SAMURAI_800x.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1743/8407/products/HDG1007_AO_DGK_GETMONEY_TEAM_81_6decff44-99e6-4817-8b7b-5134db51b1ef.jpg

http://socalskateshop.com/images/products/thumb_90022_Santa-Cruz-TokyoLights-Everslick-Deck-B.jpg
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1855/9149/products/blind_10011567_wht_intl_rhm_grande.jpg
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/CR_SketchyDemon_Gravette_Green_Bottom_149x448.jpg

Althought the SC graphic, I've seen before years ago & the Blind deck, must have been for Yuto because he rode it a lot

On a smaller scale, there are 3 companies in my area that do anime-based graphics and I have no idea how the economy will be able to support them all.