Poll

Do skate park ledges need metal coping?

Yes
20 (48.8%)
No
21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Do skate park ledges need metal coping?  (Read 6223 times)

SkateParkDesigner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Do skate park ledges need metal coping?
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »
Do skate park ledges need metal coping? Personally, I prefer waxed concrete street ledges. If the skate park could have perfectly durable concrete ledges, then that'd be awesome. Most skate park designers think concrete ledges aren't durable enough for skate parks, but I've skated fun street ledges that have been skated daily for years. And they work great. Some concrete ledges in parks suck though. I'm not sure if it's because people don't brick sand them & wax them like they do in the streets, if too many people skated it, or if skate park designers are using a less durable concrete that architects. Also, the metal coping sucks sometimes because it rusts. And the skate park design style can't compete with skate spots "accidentally" designed by professional architects. Metal coping is also extremely expensive. 6' of angle iron is about $25 (think about how much coping is in skate parks), whereas the same volume of concrete coping would cost 65 cents. Also, my favorite bank to grind in the skate park has no coping. It's just concrete. And the sound of a grind on concrete is way more satisfying than the silence of grinding on metal coping.

My vote is no... skate park ledges don't need metal coping. But I'd like to read your thoughts on the subject.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:32:36 AM by SkateParkDesigner »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: Do skate park ledges need metal coping?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »
Do skate park ledges need metal coping? Personally, I prefer waxed concrete street ledges. If the skate park could have perfectly durable concrete ledges, then that'd be awesome. Most skate park designers think concrete ledges aren't durable enough for skate parks, but I've skated fun street ledges that have been skated daily for years. And they work great. Some concrete ledges in parks suck though. I'm not sure if it's because people don't brick sand them & wax them like they do in the streets, if too many people skated it, or if skate park designers are using a less durable concrete that architects. Also, the metal coping sucks sometimes because it rusts. And the skate park design style can't compete with skate spots "accidentally" designed by professional architects.

My vote is no... skate park ledges don't need metal coping. But I'd like to read your thoughts on the subject.

takes one bmx peg to fuck the ledge for everyone else.

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
I've seen people BMX at concrete ledge street spots, but the ledges were still skateable afterwards. BMX definitely damages ledges more than skateboards, but skateboards still damage ledges too. I think BMX damage to ledges is exaggerated. Most popular street ledges have had BMXers grind them & many skateboarders still prefer street ledges to skate park ledges.

I could be wrong though... I know almost nothing about BMX.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:26:34 AM by SkateParkDesigner »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:44:38 PM »
I'm no physicist but I'd definitely reckon that a BMX rider/their bikes weight combined will exert force in very concentrated areas (the peg) and chip/crack a ledge quicker as opposed to a skater where the weight is much less and is spread out somewhat evenly. Certain tricks on BMX ie Ice/Tooth especially when done as a bonk are gonna fuck up a ledge considerably more than a 5-0 etc. Most ledge spots I've seen skated tend to eventually just get rounded out whereas bikes tend to take larger chunks out.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »
Even with metal edges bikes drastically reduce the lifespan of a park. There are two parks here built within 4 months of each other, one that allows bikes and looks like it's from Bosnia in 1992 and one that doesn't and looks brand new. Don't be dumb, put metal on the ledges. Do you want to be cool or do you want to have a skatepark?

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:08:34 PM »
i can think of one spot in particular that has been skateable for 25 years and bikes haven’t touched it .. the problem that happens over time is that is starts getting rounded out
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »
Okay, so in a skate park with "no bikes allowed", does it need coping on the ledges?

P.S. I like street ledges with coping too. They tend to look cooler than most park ledges.
I was thinking some skate parks could have concrete ledges, then others could have coping. So there's a difference between the skate parks & people can choose what style they prefer. I'm tired of all the parks looking the same.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:15:43 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »
if you have to come on here and ask this you shouldn't be a "skatepark designer"

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
if you have to come on here and ask this you shouldn't be a "skatepark designer"

This.

Also make all your rails aluminium please
Gentleman ninja warlock

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »
Metal coping always. Of course a marble or concrete ledge in a park looks "cool" and "more street" but in the end it never grinds as well as metal and gets ignored after it gets too chunked up. I've seen it at Team Pain parks in FL, intial sheen gets grinded off and no one bothers to wax it and keep it nice. People don't go to skate parks to be challenged by a less than perfect feeling ledge, they go to skate smooth terrain and learn tricks. Besides, most cities that I know of provide little to no maintenance after a park is built, so you're gonna want it to be as indestructible as possible.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 02:03:51 PM »
How bout pool coping or tiles or that kind of shit?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »
Put the metal on the ledges.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 07:27:08 PM »
if i had a problem with metal coping at skateparks, i and liked public ledges without coping better, i simply wouldnt go to skateparks.  problem solved!

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
Even with metal edges bikes drastically reduce the lifespan of a park. There are two parks here built within 4 months of each other, one that allows bikes and looks like it's from Bosnia in 1992 and one that doesn't and looks brand new. Don't be dumb, put metal on the ledges. Do you want to be cool or do you want to have a skatepark?
I want to be cool.  8)
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 11:42:53 PM »
Our plaza has granite ledges and some people go out of their way to skate the angle iron ledge.  It's just preference and each works well in certain situations......

If they are concrete they should be easily replaceable or repaired because concrete gets trashed...

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 01:02:26 AM »
How bout pool coping or tiles or that kind of shit?

oooh, I'd like pool coping on a ledge so I could grind through the clack, clack, clack without having to deal with a 10 foot bowl.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 06:34:03 AM »
Metal ledges might make more sense for durability, but they basically take all the fun out of grinding.  Without that satisfying sound and crunchy feel, I ask myself “why am I even doing this?”  Then I go home, sit down in my bedroom closet, put a towel under the door so no light gets in and play with myself until it’s time to walk the dog.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 07:21:07 AM »
i hope to never skate any park you design.

Pigeon

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 08:01:51 AM »
Buy some 2“x4” and glue them onto the concrete.  8)

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »

he the kinda guy to get a consensus, create a design everyone likes and then say "well actually this is what i think works. i could be wrong though" and come out with some absolute bullshit design reminiscent of brutalist architecture that falls apart in a year

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 09:10:03 PM »
By the way, what determines if a surface will grind?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 09:19:41 PM »
Metal ledges might make more sense for durability, but they basically take all the fun out of grinding.  Without that satisfying sound and crunchy feel, I ask myself “why am I even doing this?”  Then I go home, sit down in my bedroom closet, put a towel under the door so no light gets in and play with myself until it’s time to walk the dog.

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 10:34:08 PM »
Alright, thanks for giving me your opinions. Currently, 40% of people think skatepark ledges don't need coping and 60% think skatepark ledges do need coping. The reason I'm asking is because I want to hear feedback from skateboarders. I'll try to put coping in 60% of my skate park designs, while 40% won't have any coping. I'm also not a fan of brutalist concrete architecture. I try to use a variety of design styles. I'm planning on making a Youtube with skate park designs eventually, but honestly it might take a while. So don't expect anything soon.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:39:30 PM by SkateParkDesigner »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »
By the way, what determines if a surface will grind?

Coefficient of friction between aluminium and the surface material (+ possibly some wax) with a whole bunch of force applied.

SkateParkDesigner

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 02:59:07 AM »

Are you sure? Check this one out that I designed.

Pigeon

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 03:31:12 AM »
Do people need to use condoms?

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 05:49:36 AM »
Do people need to use condoms?

Only if doing willy grinds.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 05:50:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

okay that gave me a laugh, you may be my new favorite troll.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »
Skateparks need better designers.

You my son, are the answer. The future is now in your hands.

Please drop it.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 04:02:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

okay that gave me a laugh, you may be my new favorite troll.

You forgot to put metal coping on that QP.