Author Topic: How did you discover SLAP?  (Read 6303 times)

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: How did you discover SLAP?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I posted on the Transworld board when I first started skating but it sucked. It was either someone over there mentioning this place or just totally random, I'm not sure. The fact that that was like 17 years ago, and now i'm right back here, is in-fucking-sane.
[close]

Hahah i use to post on transworld back in the day when i was in high school. What was your username over there?

Oh god I don’t even know haha. I was like 13. Now that I think about it I started posting here summer 2001 because that is when I moved to a new state and had no friends haha.

CHONGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
After skateperception shut down made the switch

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 05:19:48 PM »
The first One in a million.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
i must have followed a link from Skatedaily or skateboard.com or something while avoiding work at my cubicle job.  had to have been at least 15 years ago
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 06:19:00 PM »
They mentioned it on WiSkate once, and my friend mentioned he called Austyn Stephans a lesbian then made fun of me for not knowing what Slap was. That was like... 2008ish.

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 06:37:08 PM »
The Emerica messageboard aka the EMB was dying down, a few of the remaining members over there mentioned posting on SLAP so I followed suit.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
I came here as a refugee when the hip hop forum I posted on got shut down around the same time I started skating again. The fuckery here is kinda comparable. I had heard about it a few times over the years.

GrandPUNCH

• Rep: -2
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
Heard about it for a while but never was into internet forums. Read the jenkem mag Slap mod interview and thought it would be fun running around in the muck with you freaks and geeks.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 07:28:03 PM »
I read the magazine a lot, and hated myself, so it made sense.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 07:35:36 PM »
Thrasher magazine message boards
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

feedmeseymour

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 08:06:30 PM »
Truth is I was talking shit about Scientology /arguing on instagram with Steve berra on a friendship skateboard post quite some time ago. Friendship said something to the effect of “woah guys save it for the slap message boards”  so here I am, just waiting for berra.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
I preordered the mindfield DVD, and did a Google search about the video to see if I could find any spoilers as there had already been premieres. Of course there was a slap thread, multiple pages. I lurked for 6 years before making an account.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:37:24 PM by offkilter »

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 09:47:24 PM »
I discovered it by being a loser with nothing else to do.

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2018, 10:18:15 PM »
I subscribed to the magazine when i was in elementary school/middle school in the mid/late 90s. I googled it a few years ago when i started skating again and found the website and saw it never got updated and then clicked the forum and voila i found a great place to find great conversation and waste a ton of time while at work/not skating ;)

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »
Through the Emerica message board oddly enough. Back in the dayo I was enamored with all things Emerica. Particularly “Baker” Emerica. I fucked with Reynold’s and especially Ellington’s first shoes hard. One day while perusing the Emerica website I noticed they had a message board. Curiosity got the best of me and I peeped it, only to find the banter on it unsavoy to say the least. Curious to find the “it” message board. I found this place. Lurk for eons swearing I would never sign up until one day and was finally compelled to sign on and well here I am...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:37:48 PM by Salsa Verde »

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2018, 10:36:13 PM »
I would look at Slap mag at my local adult book store (there was a guy that allowed teenagers in the magazine area). Lurked the message board for years. Finally made an account over a year ago.

Bonus, saw one my high school teachers walking out from the back area, dropped off a tv control on the counter with what looked like some cleaning chemicals, looked my way, made eye contact, walked out. Never told anyone about this. I guess it was a mutual, I won't tell if you won't tell kind of deal.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2018, 10:58:53 PM »
The older Brisbane guys told me about SLAP way back in the early 2000s (Pretty sure BNE still posts from time to time or at least looks at SLAP)... i made an account but forgot the password straight away so I just lurked.

ended up making this account in 08... haven't looked back since... much

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »
Was briefly on the awful Thrasher forums and then jumped over here and made my first account since I'd heard pros mention it every so often and saw an ad for it in Thrasher. Eventually ended up making this one instead.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:28 PM »
Saw issue #1 at a magazine rack near my hometown. I also discovered Transworld and Poweredge, at the same store, before I ever saw them in skate shops. Eventually, all the magazines had their own message boards. I quit TWS when they required registration and Big Brother had too many English majors.

Randozzi

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2018, 11:53:37 PM »
Friend worked at SLAP and created the forum, signed up the first year.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2018, 12:14:12 AM »
First read the mag then came to the boards after googling illegal downloads for Fully Flared which had just come out. Slap delivered the link and haven't looked back since..

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 12:46:11 AM »
My psychiatrist told me about SLAP
support your local ramp-tramp

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 01:18:45 AM »
I bought a very thin paper stock, not glosy, magazine from Funtastics in PA. No one had ever heard of Slap before that. But it was a great new magazine.

Edit* I first came here to the forums following a search for a free video link. Got so excited there were still likely skating and talking about all things skating. Joined instantly, and came to the reality I was too old and think skinned for internet forums. When I came back around Pretty Sweet premier time, I just looked daily. This also was because I'd gotten my first office "job" where all I had to do was look busy watching the screen. After years, I finally created a new account for the some reason to yell at Tracer. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:06:22 AM by Shifty Flip »

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 01:24:55 AM »
slap used to a little news sidebar on the main page that was always the first to announce team changes and shit, so i used to check that all the time. somehow i moved on from there to the message board. i lurked in fear for a long time before i made an account

ratherwatch

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 02:18:37 AM »
Used to write bits for the print mag in the SF heyday around 20 years ago.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2018, 02:21:11 AM »
not getting pussy. therefor, i scoured the world wide web.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 02:39:16 AM »
What happened to the jailbait thread?

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2018, 02:42:00 AM »
I got some copies of Slap at my local shop in the late 90ies and really liked it. Discovered this place much later (maybe 10 years ago) through youwillsoon. Even tough I hardly post anything, I lurk pretty intense. Anyways I just posted here to say thank you, Watson!

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2018, 05:10:30 AM »
Someone mentioned it on stormfront.

Nah, I thought Slap was the best mag out there, so at some point I saw an ad for their website and found the forum. It seemed like a good place: small community, without much flaming, and plenty of interesting discussions. Been here since the grey boards (under different names).

Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
During a bout of depression in 2016, I decided I was no longer going to pay attention to the news, social media, or politics. Things like reddit, facebook, talk shows, they all seemed like such bullshit to me. No matter what the subject matter, no matter who was talking, it always felt like I was watching the two most annoying people from a group of friends arguing vehemently over things they knew nothing about.
Skateboarding is something I love and never took seriously, so I didn't cut myself off from it. I ended up here by googling some skate gossip I heard (maybe Fallen had gone under? I dunno) and I found links to slap. And voila, lurked since.
I had a great time. The things I said about two annoying friends arguing is still true here, but it's skating, so I liked it. I hadn't really anticipated the things that bummed me out about mainstream media, like racism, political antagonism, Nazis, etc. becoming omnipresent here as well. Additionally, the irony that I made an account directly in response to these things is not lost on me.