Author Topic: How did you discover SLAP?  (Read 6305 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: How did you discover SLAP?
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:20 AM »
Sluggo....

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2018, 08:46:17 AM »
Someone showed me a photo of useless wooden toy banter from 1921 and I realized I’ve always been here
lol classic

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »
My best friend was a poster on here. You may of heard of him. His handle was BLOODONMYDICK

OMG Bloo Don was everybody's favorite. You're lucky to have such a good person as a friend.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »
I read the magazine back in the day but never really came to the forums till I searched skating in your 30s or 40s or something like that and found the old dudes thread. Weird thing is I found out a couple posters here used to be on the Giant Robot forums where I was a regular.

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »
Friend told me this was the best place to hear about skate news and gossip, signed up after a couple weeks of lurking
Shit could be worse

shit_for_brains

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »
I've been here thousands of years. SLAP was built around me.

Thanks a fuckin lot Watson

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2018, 11:22:10 AM »
my buddy won one in a million and was getting flamed super hard in here for his fits. i came and tried to defend him, kooked it hard, did more damage than good, got vibed by a bunch of OGs, felt sick for a few days after getting smoked on here and then came back for more. been hooked every since.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »
First mag I had was slap, Chad Bartie back tailing a white Hubba was the cover

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2018, 01:42:41 PM »
I was hating on Bam at imdb when they had a forum, and somehow found my way here.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »
Always heard about it in interviews and magazines growing up. But it wasn't until I got this desk job behind a computer screen 8 hrs a day that I needed something skate-related to pass these hours of boredom.
Have gotten caught twice now with the slap window open while on a call, so now I must be more careful, and the rate at which I post now is reduced greatly.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2018, 03:03:50 PM »

GetSnaked

• Rep: -3
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
Made an account on skateboard city in 09, bumped a thread from 04, got shit on by some dude I was subscribed to on youtube.  That eventually died, but I didn't migrate until 2013. I feel like I was always aware via mentions in mags, but I remember watching the 2010 OIAM the summer after. Somebody bitching about how we don't need anymore "PROS WHO GOT ARRESTED" threads clued me in that there was some juicy shit on here.  Also seeing a bald Haslam on a brand called deca really made me understand how little I knew. Heavy lurking ever since, I also remember getting annoyed with all the Josh Stewart threads and learning about static.  Now 2 and 5 are some of my favorites and i go back to search for all those threads.
i get the joke it's just not funny and doing school for a long time doesn't make you not a dipshit.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You little zoomers that came up at zoomies don’t know shit and you need to read a fucking book and put

doublesteveburger

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
SLAP found me motherfuckers just kidding I looked up “skateboard rumors” on google while ignoring my girlfriend at the time

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2018, 09:47:46 PM »
maybe as early as 2000 or 2001 i found this place just by checking all the skate mags websites. the dlx forums were there but i think that was really it at the time and the dlx site was barely trafficked. im not sure what made this place different at the time. i think it was just there werent a lot of options back then and the mods were active enough to keep it out of chaos.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2018, 09:49:39 PM »
I think I clicked on a link Quartersnacks posted. My first SLAP experiences were lurking all day in a windowless unfinished basement room all day while on heroin in November, 2012. Very strange. (I'm now 2.5 years clean and sober from everything).

shark tits

« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »
I think I clicked on a link Quartersnacks posted. My first SLAP experiences were lurking all day in a windowless unfinished basement room all day while on heroin in November, 2012. Very strange. (I'm now 2.5 years clean and sober from everything).
wanna get high?
jk, keep the faith and all that. i don't have that long but it's prolly not too far from 2 yrs for me.
i already answered YWS but i had the magazines before anything. first one w/ carroll and 2nd one w/ chris pastras interview. he called cheers 'a conservative white fuckup because my black peoiple aren't represented.'
militant dune!

Sad Hippo

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
I don't remember anything other than it was an early issue and it had the Del the Funky Homosapien interview where it's a big, close up picture of him lighting a joint... I subscribed for years, always thought it was so much cooler than Thrasher.  I would check the website years later, maybe a few times a month for news and clips, but didn't mess with the forum.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2018, 10:18:07 PM »
I'm trying to undiscover slap at this point. But I'm addicted.

Pigeon

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2018, 10:57:13 PM »
Some guys at a shop 10-15 years ago were talking about the Danny Way incident. I didn’t know what the fuck they were talking about, so I looked it up online. After looking through some Google searches, I found this place and wasn’t disappointed..

itspizzapie

• Rep: -13
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2018, 03:00:59 AM »
There was an article on Jenkem with an illustration with an old pro skater in his room with boxes of unsold goods, looking at his computer opened on a slap thread about him talking shit about him/his product

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2018, 03:08:35 AM »
got a free SLAP mag when i got my first complete
from a real local skatehop. but there wasn't really
internet back then in my area. i looked it up since
it kept being mentioned by Watson on YWS later.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
Oh cool one of comments got made into a thread! Jake Donnelly’s one in a million 2 weeks in sf vid on YouTube is how I found the message board. I had known about slap magazine from other magazines and interviews discussing it but had never seen one in the wild.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »
It was a combination of a few different things - OIAM, the Jason Dill Slap Pals questions, and You Will Soon. Mainly it was the Slap Pals questions that are unfortunately defunct. Wish Jake Johnson completed his.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
I had no friends in college so I used to lurk online all the time. I found skateboardrumors.com and Slap in '03 or so, then sr got shut down for publicizing Danny Way's address or something lol.

I migrated over from skateboardrumors.com too, that site was fucking juicy before that D-Way shit went down