Author Topic: RIP Wormside [aka worcide]  (Read 3999 times)

shark tits

RIP Wormside [aka worcide]
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:53:29 AM »
it was never my favorite spot to skate but it was cool to take out of towners like 'check this out'. rusty used to like going there and wax a bank in order to drop in noseblunt down it.
long running DIY in worcester, must be 10, 11 yrs old. alas.
http://www.instagram.com/p/BlLPEycDaiL/?taken-by=jamie_dube

BobbyPshew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -61
Re: RIP Wormside [aka worcide]
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »
Always sad to see a spot get taken out like that.
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:13:05 AM »
from just the little outside area to a fullblown halfassed burnside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht8VkBcsIBA
to rubble.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Sy4twXSn0

Mongoloid

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »
Ahh Worcide! First place I’ve ever seen a person shooting up. I left many a beer piss around that place in the two times I’ve been, and some genessee ice for the locals.

CHOW

• Rep: -6
  • ice like winnipeg
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 08:33:03 AM »
Huge bummer. I always wanted to stop by when visiting Worcester, but never got the chance.

shark tits

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 08:37:21 AM »
Huge bummer. I always wanted to stop by when visiting Worcester, but never got the chance.
it was well on it's way. first 5-7 yrs it was small, outter area and they'd usually destroy something every time they built soething so it never had great flow.
then in the last several yrs, the went under the bridge and built around what was there, it was really getting close to a legit 'bridge-side' diy.
i feel bad for the kids who invested in it.

SlappyBum

• Rep: -4
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:01:20 AM »
RIP

shark tits

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 12:22:13 PM »
article says the city put the screws to CSX because junkies started a fire under the bridge and CSX had to oblige.
i say we find who put that word out and vote their opponent, whoever that [likely just as shit] person is.
fuck you, my man!
http://worcestermag.com/2018/07/13/decade-old-community-skateboard-project-demolished/60849

shark tits

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:50:24 PM »
i wrote to the councilor to see if we can keep sharkside. i didn't tell her where it is but hopefully people will be outraged enough that we gain leverage [even though wer'e squatting someone's land heheh]. don't take my illegal ramps!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:11:50 PM by I sniff my own butthole all the time »

shark tits

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »
so i talked to a couple of the builders, one of the original guys who stayed w/ it the whole time and some newer cats and they're having a meeting w/ the mayor tomorrow morning!
obviously it's way damn late to salvage the original structure but city hall fucked up and they know it so hopefully they let them have it back and put in some lights or somehow junkie proof it?
or, i guess appropriating land for a skatepark but letting the builders be involved would be a secondary victory.
who knows what will ultimately happen but i think meeting the mayor bodes well and wormside will always be the big sister to all of my projects.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 10:14:21 PM »
I'm friends with the bridge crew from Worcide. It's a total bummer for everyone involved; lots of angry facebook and instagram posts the past few days. If I'm not mistaken the bridge had a gentleman's agreement with the city- you could do whatever you want as long as you clean it up and keep the junkies and needles out of there while the city turned a blind eye. There's a new city manager who didn't quite understand that, which led to the demolition of the bridge. What that article fails to mention is that it was a lot worse before everyone started taking Worcide as a serious DIY and started regulating. The nickname "Paris of the 80's" is attributed to Worcester as a city because it's another failing New England industrial city, so it's looked at as a lower tiered city to outsiders. The bridge crew took back a part of the city and did something great with the space and helped clean up the neighborhood. A lot of people were pissed enough that the city is starting to regret the demolition after two whole days- it'll come back and something else will take its place, but it will take some time
fuck you bama

shark tits

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 04:32:44 AM »
I'm friends with the bridge crew from Worcide. It's a total bummer for everyone involved; lots of angry facebook and instagram posts the past few days. If I'm not mistaken the bridge had a gentleman's agreement with the city- you could do whatever you want as long as you clean it up and keep the junkies and needles out of there while the city turned a blind eye. There's a new city manager who didn't quite understand that, which led to the demolition of the bridge. What that article fails to mention is that it was a lot worse before everyone started taking Worcide as a serious DIY and started regulating. The nickname "Paris of the 80's" is attributed to Worcester as a city because it's another failing New England industrial city, so it's looked at as a lower tiered city to outsiders. The bridge crew took back a part of the city and did something great with the space and helped clean up the neighborhood. A lot of people were pissed enough that the city is starting to regret the demolition after two whole days- it'll come back and something else will take its place, but it will take some time
idk how much of an 'agreement' there was as nobody wanted to take responsibility for the spot. it was a grey area between csx and the city.
cops have stopped pours and took braindead ed to jail for drinking but mostly they looked the other way.
i usedta joke on them that they were gentrification because a lot of them are from towns outside the worm but i don't know that it was better/worse before. it just added skateboarding and graffiti.
paris of the 80s was our motto in the 80s. i didn't get it then and i don't get it now but i had a shirt from HBML.
i'm not sure what happened really other than there was a fire and the skate spot got bulldozed in retaliation but all the debris is still there, nothing productive was accomplished.
i think they might get to rebuild which, could be a blessing in a fucked up way because a lot of the older obstacles weren't as well made as the toilet bowl or some of the newer stuff under bridge.

Ghost Face Nigga

• Rep: -34
  • Im black
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 07:05:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
idk how much of an 'agreement' there was as nobody wanted to take responsibility for the spot. it was a grey area between csx and the city.
cops have stopped pours and took braindead ed to jail for drinking but mostly they looked the other way.
i usedta joke on them that they were gentrification because a lot of them are from towns outside the worm but i don't know that it was better/worse before. it just added skateboarding and graffiti.
paris of the 80s was our motto in the 80s. i didn't get it then and i don't get it now but i had a shirt from HBML.
i'm not sure what happened really other than there was a fire and the skate spot got bulldozed in retaliation but all the debris is still there, nothing productive was accomplished.
i think they might get to rebuild which, could be a blessing in a fucked up way because a lot of the older obstacles weren't as well made as the toilet bowl or some of the newer stuff under bridge.

holy shit, i haven't seen that dude in years and totally forgot of his existence. good dude! ed gave me a skate dvd once i think it was called "HATE" iirc. he was always super nice to me.
huge bummer about worcide, but hopefully something better gets put in its place and the person/persons who work for the city who caused this has a shitstorm to deal with
Horny 2 Skate

shark tits

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 07:11:56 AM »
haha, braindead is a negative nancy but i always liked him. speaking of what you just wrote, dube's wife posted this on fb, they're getting their DIY back, either at the same spot or elsewhere!
skaters rule the world but you already knew that.

"We had a positive and productive meeting with city hall, including the mayors office, city manager, chiefs of fire and police, rec and youth leaders and others. We presented them with a great packet and what we are looking for and they are feeling the pressure and have issued an apology for how everything was handled. They are going to be working with us to identify, secure and grant us a space to rebuild, one that will meet our requirements and give Worcide the control. We have work to do to come up with a more comprehensive proposal and need everyone to come together so we are ready in 4-6 weeks to meet and create a timeline/plan.
This all being said, I ask that we move forward in this productive way rather than doing something that will not be productive or help the work that has been done or damage the reputation of the person putting her name/rep on the line to get us what we want. We are beyond city council at this point and if you want to stick it to them find someone from district 2 to run and oppose that counselor."

Mongoloid

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 07:51:18 AM »
I’m surprised people like Braindead Ed! He’s a total koooooook. He came to Nomad with Ace Bizarro and Jerry absolutely annihilated, and ganked someone’s pack of smokes. This isn’t to say he isn’t nice, but he’s always obliterated. I’ve never seen him step on a board either which doesn’t help matters.

shark tits

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 07:59:53 AM »
I’m surprised people like Braindead Ed! He’s a total koooooook. He came to Nomad with Ace Bizarro and Jerry absolutely annihilated, and ganked someone’s pack of smokes. This isn’t to say he isn’t nice, but he’s always obliterated. I’ve never seen him step on a board either which doesn’t help matters.
hahaha, we're like 2 degrees of separation. idk which one is ace bizarro [scully is red baron, i think jared bratko is something bizarro] but yeah, i usedta live like that, drunk all the time.
it sucked, once in a while i'd be charming and impress a girl but mostly i would bum people out.
last i heard ol' braindead is kicked out of burnside for telling them how to pour cement even though burnside is the big sister to wormside [or grandmother maybe?].
braindead is from holden and that is the most entitled, stuck up, all white enclave in worcester county. the only good thing to ever come out of holden is brian jarosz and i've got a brother in law from there.
ed can skate if he has to.

Mongoloid

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 09:18:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
hahaha, we're like 2 degrees of separation. idk which one is ace bizarro [scully is red baron, i think jared bratko is something bizarro] but yeah, i usedta live like that, drunk all the time.
it sucked, once in a while i'd be charming and impress a girl but mostly i would bum people out.
last i heard ol' braindead is kicked out of burnside for telling them how to pour cement even though burnside is the big sister to wormside [or grandmother maybe?].
braindead is from holden and that is the most entitled, stuck up, all white enclave in worcester county. the only good thing to ever come out of holden is brian jarosz and i've got a brother in law from there.
ed can skate if he has to.

Haha I’m regular! I called Jared “Jerry”... FFS I’m no better than Braindead Ed.

Yeah man, the main person I skate with is a huge personality, so the two of us make friends where ever we go. I’m honestly pretty anti social unless I’m drinking. Ed is mostly a harmless minor annoyance, but he’s fine to me so I shouldn’t toss harsh words his way. He was however being weirdly confrontational the first time we met. I chalk it up to how blasted he was.

There’s some great skaters from up your way.

shark tits

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 06:28:19 PM »
idk if this will play for everyone but one of the builder's wife [cause she's more sympathetic and eloquent than a skater] spits facts at city council.
so nothing's rebuilt yet but it looks like they won and maybe it'll be better than it was since they got a lot better at building in the last 5 yrs.
https://www.facebook.com/worcestermag/videos/10155709330686313/
ps i still think we should vote out candy carlson netanyahu and her bulldozers
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:30:34 PM by I sniff my own butthole all the time »

feedmeseymour

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »
sucks this happened, but i gotta say, if youre talking to a room of people wearing suits, and youre trying to be professional and gain their respect, take off your trucker hat, and the guys that spoke were wearing t shirts.. you gotta dress the part sometimes. not saying i would view them differently based on their outfit but im sure some of those council members do.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 12:07:07 PM »
idk if this will play for everyone but one of the builder's wife [cause she's more sympathetic and eloquent than a skater] spits facts at city council.
so nothing's rebuilt yet but it looks like they won and maybe it'll be better than it was since they got a lot better at building in the last 5 yrs.
https://www.facebook.com/worcestermag/videos/10155709330686313/
ps i still think we should vote out candy carlson netanyahu and her bulldozers

wow she was great! really good conclusion.
 if you guys are serious about uprooting the current city manager you should think about asking her to enroll in a "emerge america" program (they kind of promote kooky politics but whatever). she seems like a real fighter.

i am the first one to get annoyed when people wear hats while standing to speak but its pretty clear she wore the hat because it said worcide and gives credence that this is a "real" and  "organized" group.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 01:34:01 PM »
oh true true with the hat, i thought it was just a lowcard hat. makes more sense now.

shark tits

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
ok so they had a meeting at a frozen yogurt shop [little incongruent i know but owner was real cool] and pizza from the place adjacent to my DIY was delivered. why have we never gotten pizza from our nextdoor neighbor? i don't know!
so we chatted and my idea for 'satellite plazas' or 'multi use edible skate spots that don't look like skate spots' was bandied about. its cool if it ends up happening, i been manifesting that nutty idea for a yr or so and somehow i just wanted to eavesdrop about LLC and nonprofit 501k or whatever it is but i got inveigled into 'spot search' team which means basically, the new wormside is gonna be either where it was or under a bridge that i find. i got the dopeshow spot by med city downtown or by the blackstone canal across from rotman's furniture.
if both those spots fail, maybe i can snatch some builders from the greater pool of workers and have little one of DIYs at those 2 spots.
can anyone tell me the appropriate channels that burnside or fdr went through to become legit and city not be 'liable' or whatever redtape reason they give for not letting diy flourish?