Author Topic: Palace power move  (Read 7834 times)

Matze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Palace power move
« on: July 14, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »
Angelique Kerber rocks Palace and wins Wimbledon.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
Re: Palace power move
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:12:48 PM »
Oh Lord!
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

coreaf

• Rep: 22
  • sick
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
f the haters this is sick. bigup lev bigup palace bigup kerber and her porsche sponsorship.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
they should serve some lobster up on that plate.

ChiefSQueff

• Rep: -263
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
Fuck palace. A bunch of fags

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 03:40:56 PM »
lmfao

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 03:45:40 PM »
Power! Backing it! Skateboarding x Wimbledon is loads better than skateboarding x Olympics!
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »
Palace is just for rich british kids anyway, makes sense

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 05:07:17 PM »
Honestly, so sick.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 05:13:56 PM »
PARRRRR
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 07:01:40 PM »
Pretty nuts..

Good for them..

Still don’t get why Sean powers is a sponsored skateboarder

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
Is that a Lucas Puig signature shirt?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »
No idea what any of this means but tennis chicks are hot
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 08:36:25 PM »
Most of the adidas players were wearing the palace collab. Rad kerber was rocking it in the final.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 08:42:28 PM »
Was it something to do with palace being based in England? Either way tennis chicks are hot so no hate on that

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 01:04:59 AM »
Sick. I get kooked for being heterosexual. Nice one sissies.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

SkateChimney

• Rep: -29
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 01:32:07 AM »
i feel this did more for adidas then it did for palace

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 01:48:44 AM »
Serenas butts pretty cool, I don't know anyone else, I jerked of to a tennis match before the moans were powerful like they were trying to destroy my Dick.

HHH

• Rep: -4
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 01:59:03 AM »
i feel this did more for adidas then it did for palace

are you fucking mad?

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 04:37:23 AM »
Hooray,  let's celebrate our slow assimilation into mainstream sports!

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 06:51:50 AM »

More like, Hooray, one of the most legitimate skateboard companies out is making money hand over fist, giving it back to skating, all the while not compromising anything about their aesthetic or our culture.

Do you know how much fucking cooler and better for skating as a whole it is to have Palace as an ambassador of culture as opposed to Primitive, Nike, The Berrics, Revive, etc.?

Skateboarding is huge now and there's nothing we can do about that, but I'd much rather have Palace represent us than 99% of any other brands; they stay true to skating.

Dudes just made one of the best full length videos of the last decade on a VHS camera, and have now stepped into the realm of Betamax while world tennis champions are repping their gear; so insane.

They need to make Jamal Smith pro, though.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 07:04:05 AM »
Sick. I get kooked for being heterosexual. Nice one sissies.

You get kooked for being everything that makes you who you are.

Tabletop

• Rep: -74
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 10:48:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

More like, Hooray, one of the most legitimate skateboard companies out is making money hand over fist, giving it back to skating, all the while not compromising anything about their aesthetic or our culture.

Do you know how much fucking cooler and better for skating as a whole it is to have Palace as an ambassador of culture as opposed to Primitive, Nike, The Berrics, Revive, etc.?

Skateboarding is huge now and there's nothing we can do about that, but I'd much rather have Palace represent us than 99% of any other brands; they stay true to skating.

Dudes just made one of the best full length videos of the last decade on a VHS camera, and have now stepped into the realm of Betamax while world tennis champions are repping their gear; so insane.

This is cool but the most legitimate, best video in 10 years, now using Betamax hyperbole is a bit much.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 11:00:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sure, Palace seems like a legit brand that has done many things right. I just don't think that skateboarding needs an ambassador. Especially as palace does that outreach hand-in-hand with Adidas,  one of the big sportswear corps. I just wanted to convey that kerber sporting the Adidas x Palace collab is nothing too cheer about. In my opinion. 

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is cool but the most legitimate, best video in 10 years, now using Betamax hyperbole is a bit much.

Agreed. That whole post read like a Palace marketing statement. Manchurian Candidate confirmed. And I have no idea what Palace is "giving back to skating" that is differentiating themselves from "99% of other brands". I am asking genuinely.

And just so I can keep the rhetoric straight...one thread is golf look is bad but this thread is tennis look is great because one says Palace and the other is Nike? And furthering the thought, Angie Kerber wearing that equates to giving back to skating? Got it.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 11:33:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Agreed. That whole post read like a Palace marketing statement. Manchurian Candidate confirmed. And I have no idea what Palace is "giving back to skating" that is differentiating themselves from "99% of other brands". I am asking genuinely.

And just so I can keep the rhetoric straight...one thread is golf look is bad but this thread is tennis look is great because one says Palace and the other is Nike? And furthering the thought, Angie Kerber wearing that equates to giving back to skating? Got it.

Honestly, these are complicated questions but I would definitely argue that Palasonic will be one of the standout videos of this decade: seven years in the making, filmed completely on VHS with mk1 (completely their own aesthetic), filmed entirely in London, and released with a full color 200 page photo book--that is insane.

I would say there are two important things to think about:

1) Everything they created is physical--tapes, photos, etc. From a cultural standpoint thats huge because more and more art is becoming less and less tangible. They made something that took time, that you can hold, in an era where thats not necessarily important. This was a conscious decision. This is being acknowledged by prominent outside institutions as well: https://sidewalkmag.com/skateboard-news/palace-x-tate-palace-skateboards-inspired-by-john-martin.html When was the last time a skateboard company was collaborating with a museum? Everything they do is very well thought out and intentional; it's not just some bullshit logo slapped around in photoshop. This is evident is how successful they are in the world of fashion as well.

2) Up until very recently, skateboarding was very geographically regionalized, which inherently breeds more unique style due to minimal outside influence (obviously mags and videos influenced the past heavily, no doubt, but skateboarding is now completely global due to the internet, it's not better or worse, it just is). What I am saying is compare FTC to Subzero, radically different videos and skating; but in todays world that distinct line is becoming more and more blurred. Palasonic completely challenges that--they made a regional video using international skaters in a global landscape which is pretty remarkable. Also, t whole video is a love letter to London skating. They had all the money in the world and could have done anything, or absolutely nothing, but they chose to just make an awesome skate video with their friends, and it shows.

In terms of giving back; they pay their riders well, ams included, supported Southbank, and also replicated the legendary Radlands skatepark this past winter allowing people to skate there for free. They support their community.

Also the difference between nike/golf and palace/tennis is that Palace is a skateboard company and nike is an athletics company, plain and simple.

For the record I am a filthy punk and would look like a fool in Palace gear, nor have I skated one of their boards ever (I do own Palasonic though), but I think they are one of the best companies out, clearly, haha.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:38:05 AM by mattchew »

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
Mattchew - as always, I respect the time you put into that reply but can you give me thesis statement.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
Mattchew - as always, I respect the time you put into that reply but can you give me thesis statement.

I know I ramble, haha

Thesis: Palace is a real deal skateboard company in 2018, a rare feat, and should be respected by the culture at large even if you don't fuck with their aesthetic. See above post for details ;)

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
If Lucien, Lucas, and Benny are getting paid I back it. Benny spent way too long on stereo and deserves that paper.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.