Author Topic: Advice for progressing faster  (Read 4497 times)

ChrisFrantz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -103
Advice for progressing faster
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:03:34 AM »
Here are some things I've learned over the years that have helped me progress in skateboarding. If you do these 6 things, you will progress way faster:
 - 1. visualize yourself doing the tricks you want to do perfectly
 - 2. balance: distribute weight evenly between both legs when landing
 - 3. repetition: repeat new tricks
 - 4. capitalize on days when you're feeling it, in the zone
 - 5. positive self-talk: talk positively to yourself about your ability
 - 6. motivation: skate with people who motivate you to progress
I hope these were helpful. Let me know if these tips or anything else has helped you. Cheers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T1SGCp58s
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:05:17 AM by ChrisFrantz »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Advice for progressing faster
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »
I didn’t watch the video but those are good points you listed. In addition, for me it helps if I break the trick into parts and see which parts give me trouble, then look at how other skaters get past those sticking points. (Shift weight earlier, higher speed, etc...). Then test out each way of solving the problem part until I hit one I think I can use. Rinse, wash, repeat

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 07:11:20 PM »
That all sounds fine and good. I just wonder why none of those tips ever worked for you.

shark tits

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:16:47 PM »
ban this man!

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »
Great video, thanks for the tips.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 07:31:31 PM »
Are you wearing a wig?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

shit_for_brains

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 05:39:31 AM »
Your bedroom looks like one of the stay-awake rooms in Guantanamo Bay. My advice for progressing faster on youtube is to not show strangers your shitty house.

notcool

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
Adderall. But seriously has anyone ever tried this?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »
nope, never tried adderall...

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »

I've skated on Adderall a few times, just from after studying when it hasn't worn off yet. For me, it does seem to make me concentrate a bit better and as a result I'm a bit more consistent and can learn/land tricks a little faster. But Adderall puts me in a shit moood so skating on it is kind of miserable so definitely not worth it, especially when skating is meant to be your outlet.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »
That all sounds fine and good. I just wonder why none of those tips ever worked for you.

Daaaayum

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 08:21:43 AM »
nice video, first of all, thanks!

I am always happy seeing people putting out some advice, just in case. if it helps anyone, that is already a win for skateboarding as a community. and i have to agree especially on motivating yourself and the power of visualisation.
many studies point out how close mental preparation is to physical workout and how big the gap to no cognitive or physical engagement with the matter.

to the adderall off-topic: i have been described ritalin (european version, basically) and it was, in fact, one of the reasons i stopped skating as a kid. i am tense and upset when things don't work out. makes me uninspired and nervous. exactly the wrong thing to ride a skateboard.
other substances have done a better deed, for me, in that context. skating on acid has been one of the best experiences ever, to be honest.

PMA

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 11:11:52 PM »
Looking back I would say the most important things for me are (i know this will sound kooky but here goes)

1. Skate everyday, if possible for two hours or more. Skate everything, every spot. Instead of bitching how a spot is not good, take it as a fun challenge and try to cope.

2. From the very first day you step on a board put at least equal time and effort into learning to skate switch. Learn to ride and push switch as early as possible. Every trick you learn, try immediately to learn it switch. Small miniramps are the shit for getting comfortable skating switch. Start trying to skate ledges switch as early as possible. Skating switch will immensely improve your ability to skate regular as well. For instance landing a frontside flip will be so much easier and feel natural if you can already land switch ollies down small banks.

3. Try to learn to ollie/nollie using only your leg muscles, instead of throwing your upper body and arms around. Watch Appleyard and young Penny for an example on this. This way your upper body is always relaxed and free for balancing/aiming etc. If you start young enough your legs will become really powerful and you'll get that magical effortlessness.

4. Try to skate with a lot of speed. I wish i had understood this earlier. It's hard to get comfortable with speed when your older. You set that default level when you're a child, so set it high.

5. Try to break down and analyze each trick you learn as minutely as you can. This way you can take elements from one trick and use them as building blocks to learn the next one. Also you won't forget/lose tricks as easily.

The Dope

• Rep: -6
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
Looking back I would say the most important things for me are (i know this will sound kooky but here goes)

1. Skate everyday, if possible for two hours or more. Skate everything, every spot. Instead of bitching how a spot is not good, take it as a fun challenge and try to cope.

2. From the very first day you step on a board put at least equal time and effort into learning to skate switch. Learn to ride and push switch as early as possible. Every trick you learn, try immediately to learn it switch. Small miniramps are the shit for getting comfortable skating switch. Start trying to skate ledges switch as early as possible. Skating switch will immensely improve your ability to skate regular as well. For instance landing a frontside flip will be so much easier and feel natural if you can already land switch ollies down small banks.

3. Try to learn to ollie/nollie using only your leg muscles, instead of throwing your upper body and arms around. Watch Appleyard and young Penny for an example on this. This way your upper body is always relaxed and free for balancing/aiming etc. If you start young enough your legs will become really powerful and you'll get that magical effortlessness.

4. Try to skate with a lot of speed. I wish i had understood this earlier. It's hard to get comfortable with speed when your older. You set that default level when you're a child, so set it high.

5. Try to break down and analyze each trick you learn as minutely as you can. This way you can take elements from one trick and use them as building blocks to learn the next one. Also you won't forget/lose tricks as easily.

You nailed it man, step 2 is so important for younger kids coming up in the game these days

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 02:48:13 AM »
Here are some things I've learned over the years that have helped me progress in skateboarding. If you do these 6 things, you will progress way faster:
 - 1. visualize yourself doing the tricks you want to do perfectly
 - 2. balance: distribute weight evenly between both legs when landing
 - 3. repetition: repeat new tricks
 - 4. capitalize on days when you're feeling it, in the zone
- 5. positive self-talk: talk positively to yourself about your ability
 - 6. motivation: skate with people who motivate you to progress
I hope these were helpful. Let me know if these tips or anything else has helped you. Cheers!

::)
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 09:03:48 PM »

Good advice here! One thing about 5 that I do which helps me is if I’m having trouble with a specific part of a technique, to see how other skaters solve that particular problem. Like 360 flips for example, I tried for months to get them and couldn’t, and the initial problem was not having control of the spin of the board and not getting full rotation, so I watched people who have beautiful technique to see how they do it. I then experimented with their different ways of doing it and figured out what works for me. Turns out my feet were to far apart and my lead foot was too shallow on the board. My next problem to solve is that I have a tendency to land too far on the nose, so I’ll study why this problem is happening and see what the difference is between my catch and more skillful peoples catch.

BRIX SKWIKZ

• Rep: -84
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 07:24:25 AM »
great talk guys!
evolution is a matter of billions of years
i rolled red caddilac wheels when i was still i diapers so i never cared much for tricks
people saying oh if i could take a time machine and go back to the dog town years i would be pro...
no you wouldnt style is everything
i always thought sk8boarding was a human right and everybody should do it
i bought my first banana board when i was 10 and right after that a shark board in a trip to the us when i was 11
ollies were sci-fi shit for me , only for pros
then i started jumping some tall sidewalks  and 3 set stairs till my bushings and bearing fell apart
by this time sk8ers sdtarted vibing each other off and it started some jock mentally wich eventually lead us to the olympics
rollerblading bacame really hot to and i migrated to sex drugs and rock and roll
came back to skating by the time of the baker boys
so yesterday i watched some uncut footage of paul rodriguez and ellington man even those guys work hard to get their tricks together
though i rather enjoy seeing them just cruising around you know? doing things first try
(ellingtons destroyng by example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk1z5TaDudE

i think theimport thing is to have fun on your board ,hold on to it as your best friend
 feel confortable in your own skin
also taking deep breaths
and of course some footmassage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZ3n_dzGHw

thanks for all the tips guys,
there s nothing like a little help from our friends