Author Topic: The scummiest of all sell outs  (Read 24224 times)

Eds_gallerist

Re: The scummiest of all sell outs
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »
Shit, Gip I am with you here. The lamest Instapost in a long time.

stevedave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 03:36:44 PM »
i feel like you can say this about ANY sponsorship that isn't a skateboard hardgood.  shit, even sneakers are a grey area.  Any energy drink you can either drink or not, and they're doing the same thins.  You can buy into credit cards/debt or not.  Shit, Reese Forbes was sponsored by fucking JAGUAR, how many 18 year old skaters went into life long bankruptcy debt because all of a sudden every skater wanted to drive a Jaguar XJ? What about Omar Hassan and his Ford sponsorship?  Were skaters buying Ford Rangers because of that?  Every company out there is just trying to get theirs.  If you're a smart person, and you have any sense of how the world works, you're not going to go get an AMEX card because Arto fucking Saari gets one from them.  C'mon, that's just naive. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

shark tits

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
didn't everyone read 'behold the pale horse' when they were 20?
getting people into debt is a way to maintain slavery [even if it's not nearly as bad as 1800s or current libya or whatever slavery] and also, getting people to do dumb violent/nationalist shit at a young age [like join the military and kill arabs] is a good way to get guilt into young people along w/ blood on their hands.
makes em less inclined to question stuff cause if i killed people for no good reason, i've gotta look at myself hard in the mirror.

every war a banker's war [or big pineapple, or coal mine owners, etc] every war is about stealing resources and they get you when you're young and stupid.
whoever's smart enough to avoid the first trap usually ends up in the debt cycle, working for company scrip [government scrip].
planman, i can see as a black skater you're more upset about 10/10 but in the scheme of things, credit and lending fucked over more people than trashy vert dogs.
remember the subprime bullshit and now every 3rd house in detroit is foreclosed on?
get people living outside their means and they'll owe you forever.

Mr. Fink

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »
Arto! Arto, wake up!

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 03:43:39 PM »
lol, you americans will justify this

"he's just getting paid bro" "don't be mad, he's making money"

Nag Champa

• Rep: -29
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
Weeks to reserve a diner spot? Fuck american express.

wu tang joe

• Rep: -1
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 03:58:43 PM »
^ i was wondering the same thing, chipped tail.
arto schmarto, how betrayed do ya'll think i felt when my celebrity crush of my 20s-early 30s and 'the cute one' from sleater-kinney, carrie brownstein did the same.
maybe she was already sold out being on that tv show and selling to yuppies but damn, what happened to punk ethics and not being a shill?
bill hicks would spit in your face, carrie!

Bummer part two bill hicks might be alex jones

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »
I use a home depot card for projects all the time its great. no intrest if you pay it back in 90 days and you earn points towards discounts and cash back.

If you know how to budget and not overspend credits not so bad big budget items like hotels and flights especially.

you are absolutely right and are exactly the type of person they are not targeting. 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »
Aha shit, I was gonna bring this up.

Kickflipmcdelux

• Rep: -22
  • I'll truck fuck your dad
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 04:31:56 PM »
The real defining question is what party sought out the other party to make such business relations and contracts available.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 04:40:25 PM »
Expand Quote
"Yeah Arto took a sponsorship deal so now his entire career is ruined for me, guess I'll whine on slap"
[close]
“Some dude criticized a pro I like for doing something sketchy, guess I’ll whine on slap”
See, works for you too! But I guess you have a point. Criticism on slap is pointless considering how few people in the industry care about it. Remember how nothing happened to that Nazi who rode for Santa Cruz? Oh wait...

Streisand Effected the fuck out of this.   Never would have noticed this if it wasn’t pointed out

Hoeboi

• Rep: -362
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 04:48:49 PM »
i pay my credit card bill in full every month. i got great credit and i get nice rewards as a consolation prize. but then again im not a fuckin idiot like most of you guys are. if your dumb enough to spend money you don't have thats your problem not artos.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
i pay my credit card bill in full every month. i got great credit and i get nice rewards as a consolation prize. but then again im not a fuckin idiot like most of you guys are. if your dumb enough to spend money you don't have thats your problem not artos.

it needed to be said.

https://youtu.be/tKIzaMdo3Pg?t=203
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
I bought tacos with my CC. The tacos are gone but the debt grows.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »
Oh wow, nazi boy Groucho is too stupid to get the point despite how clearly it was spelled out. What a shocker.

The point isn’t that we got tricked- the ad hasn’t even been out a day.
The point is he is down to take money as part of an ad campaign specifically designed to target young people, most of whom aren’t very financially literate. They know that fact and exploit it with ad campaigns like these which make them big money, and Arto is part of the team of people doing the exploiting.
Is it really that hard to get? Stupid or trolling, guys?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Hoeboi

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2018, 05:01:41 PM »
Oh wow, nazi boy Groucho is too stupid to get the point despite how clearly it was spelled out. What a shocker.

The point is he is down to take money as part of an ad campaign specifically designed to target young people, most of whom aren’t very financially literate. They know that fact and exploit it with ad campaigns like these which make them big money, and Arto is part of the team of people doing the exploiting.

like i said. most of you guys are idiots. if you can't understand the concept of a credit card by the 8th grade then your stupid and deserve to be in debt.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:16:20 PM by Jeff Groucho »

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1235
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 05:01:57 PM »
#amexlife

the fuck?

too bad it wasnt homies scrounging pocket change together for some bags of concrete

that wouldve at least made a minute insta montage

anybody remember those columbia house cd deals?

shark tits

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »
#amexlife

the fuck?

too bad it wasnt homies scrounging pocket change together for some bags of concrete

that wouldve at least made a minute insta montage

anybody remember those columbia house cd deals?
12 tapes for a penny, hell yeah.
shit selection but i rocked it from juvie, heheh.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »

i wonder how many of you with this mindset smoke cigarettes
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

like i said. most of you guys are idiots.
holy shit

That made me laugh.

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2018, 05:18:48 PM »
you can’t apply for a credit card in your own name until you’re 18 years old. this ad is lame, but hardly predatory.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Feel like it's still not as terrible as Red Bull & Monster, kids chug that shit and it will kill you.

Also the scummiest sponsorship I've seen was the US Navy sponsoring the X games this year. That shit was disgusting, advertising killing yourself to a bunch of teenagers who are obviously not risk averse (into skateboarding) and probably from the lower income bracket families, it's almost creepy how well that marketing probably works. Also, between the runs having people like Nyjah come on screen and say "If I didn't start skateboarding, I definitely would have joined to US Navy..."
[close]

I recall the US Army (or maybe it was the Marines?) having ads in Transworld for years as well
Pretty sure thrasher too and I'm talking as far back as 1999
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2018, 05:30:03 PM »
I got a credit card with a limit of $24,000 when I was 18. Now about $40,000 with inflation.

Damn, it was a helluva fun ride for awhile. When the bills came due I finally got a job and I was able to work with a great company so I paid off my debt in an agreement that worked out to twenty cents on every dollar owed.

I have good credit now, took about five years to build it back up. So debt doesn't have to be debilitating, but it sure is a helluva drug and I can see people getting into a real black hole for a long time due to it.

thomas kook

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »
you can’t apply for a credit card in your own name until you’re 18 years old. this ad is lame, but hardly predatory.

wow, you're actually my dad

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
Does it hurt being that stupid, or is it pleasant?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Hoeboi

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »
how much do you owe amex gip? theres a few bright ones on this forum. we might be able to help you structure a plan for you to get outta dept. we understand its rare to excel in both math and liberal studies.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2018, 05:54:12 PM »
amex is definitely not a card that should be marketed toward your typical skater, unlike other card providers. their amexlife campaign is more of a way for the company to show they are associating with a more middle aged crowd instead of the typical older market they have historically aligned with. nowhere in the ad did it say, apply for this card.

Issy

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2018, 05:59:37 PM »
https://thebaffler.com/outbursts/a-crime-and-a-pastime-ohaver

"With paying contests relegated to minor status, and without a functioning umbrella organization, skateboarding is best understood as a full-time freelance economy funded through endorsement deals. Pro skaters are contract employees, paid to be jumping-and-grinding advertisements for half a dozen or so sponsors—makers of boards, shoes, wheels, trucks, clothing, and energy drinks. (In recent years, too, maintaining a social media presence has become another of companies’ demands.) After spending countless man-hours indentured to such companies, the gamest pros find themselves able to branch out and pursue the skater’s dream: they start their own skate brands and sign younger skaters, at which point the cycle spins forward.

Yet as skateboarding has grown in popularity over the last two decades, large corporations have more and more sought their cut. In the same way that libertarians decry the government while thirsting for its handouts, the skate industry has begun to depend on the bankrolls of the very (enormous) “carpetbaggers” it once disparaged: Vans, Adidas, and, especially, Nike. Though Vans has long been associated with skating, Nike and Adidas were mocked when they first tried to enter the market in the nineties. But when streetwear boomed in the 2000s, alongside a decline in board sales, the big two wormed their way into the market, offering top-tier pros contracts they couldn’t refuse. Now that these cherished pros ride for Nike, even riders on other teams hesitate to criticize the brand.

Meanwhile, this capricious, industry-wide shift presages darker days of the too-big-to-fail shade. Skateboarding is now ascendant, but what if these companies find that post-Olympics profits aren’t what they expected? A decision by Nike or Adidas to leave the market could be devastating; not only could the top skaters find themselves without their corporate bargains, but the cash-and-capital drought could blight out board and clothing companies, many of which are owned by the very skaters sponsored by Nike and Adidas.

The house-of-cards structure of the industry, glued together as it is by the mercurial fealty of corporate sponsorship, is masked by skateboarding’s libertarian delusion that it functions as a meritocracy. There are only a handful of famous staircases, after all, down which skateboarders can leap into prominence, provided they land a sufficiently difficult trick. But the meritocracy falls apart as soon as you realize that there is no agreed upon rubric for merit, and no worn path for the would-be sponsored skater. What’s more, there are multiple levels of sponsored skateboarders, which crisscross in both hierarchical and nonhierarchical ways: flow riders, who get products for free; amateurs, who ride for teams in exchange for product and (sometimes) stipends or travel costs; and pros, who can make serious cash through shoe deals, adjacent endorsements, and contests. To further blur the distinction, both amateurs and pros appear in ads and brand videos. And, anyway, there is no set formula for becoming a professional skater; board companies turn amateurs into professionals by way of a black box determination that factors a mix of popularity, marketability, age, and time spent as an amateur. As it turns out, amateurs are often as talented (and usually way more productive) than professionals. If they don’t get injured, if they can slog it out for a few years, amateurs might be lucky enough to earn a pro slot. It’s a system almost comparable to academia, with its adjunct and tenured professors, if, well, more disorganized and libertarian."

"Despite the mounting power of corporate brands, most of the individuals who control the skate industry—even those in charge of the brands’ programs—are skaters themselves. This is helpful insofar as they’re more likely to have skating’s best interests at heart. But this autonomy has also incubated an unfortunate industry tendency to think of everyone—riders, team managers, owners, and the skate publications who cover them—as likeminded bros instead of arbiters of a multibillion dollar business.

Nowhere is this more evident than with the skateboarding press. Never exactly robust, these outlets have been sideswiped (like everyone else) by the turn to digital media; only a handful of magazines remain. The websites that survive acquit themselves honorably of the tasks of hosting videos and interviewing pros, but they rarely become more than trade publications, beholden to the unquestioned values and unmitigated financial success of their industry.

This insularity can have dark consequences. In 2017, Cory Kennedy, a pro for Nike and Girl Skateboards, was arrested on suspicion of vehicular homicide and driving under the influence in a fatal crash that killed prominent Thrasher videographer and personality Preston “P-Stone” Maigetter. In the wake of the accident, there was an immediate outpouring of grief and remembrance for P-Stone posted on sites like Thrasher and Transworld Skateboarding, and by pro skaters on Instagram, but scant mention that Cory Kennedy had driven the car that killed him. An analogous situation in another sport is unimaginable. If, say, Kevin Love killed Bill Simmons in a possible drunk driving accident, the story would dominate sports coverage for days. And if outlets like ESPN and Sports Illustrated refused to report it, they would rightly be seen as negligent.

This bro-ish groupthink has just as easily declined into reactionary childishness. When Dogtown skate pioneer Jay Adams died in 2014, Vice’s Jonathan Smith wrote a thoughtful piece titled “Maybe We Shouldn’t Be So Quick to Idolize a Gay-Bashing Skateboarder.” Smith (who, full disclosure, is my editor at Vice), acknowledged Adams’s influence in skateboarding, but criticized both skate publications and mainstream outlets like BuzzFeed and the New York Times for failing to mention in their obituaries his role in the 1982 murder of a gay black man. (Adams was charged with murder but convicted of felony assault, for which he served six months in prison.) Commenters pilloried Smith for speaking ill of the dead. As one put it, “Knowing that Jay Adams just died, it’s kind of whack for a writer to just write an article to discredit the guy and just to do it to be a douche.” These horrors are compounded by others—rumors of sexual assault, stories of violence, skaters who have turned alt-right—that circulate widely among skateboarders but are never written about, except on the Slap Magazine message board, a Reddit-esque forum that fields puerile jokes and suspiciously accurate gossip."

This is who we are.

Anyone blaming anyone or anything other than themselves is a hypocrite.

This exists because of us.

And the funniest thing is that it isn't even that bad in terms of advertising.

Aren't most of skateboarding big ads? Especially Thrasher Magazine? This is nothing more than a product of the industry. It's ok to get pissed off but this stuff was already condemned by many before it even premiered in 1980s, mainly because of its subject matter. But it's not worse than some of advertising these days. The vitriol spewed toward this move is as predictable as it is unwarranted.
But hey, to each his own.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2018, 06:01:39 PM »
amex is definitely not a card that should be marketed toward your typical skater, unlike other card providers. their amexlife campaign is more of a way for the company to show they are associating with a more middle aged crowd instead of the typical older market they have historically aligned with. nowhere in the ad did it say, apply for this card.

So uhhh was Amex a good client to work with?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
Arto! Arto, wake up!
best post so far!
Honestly, I tend to agree with the energy drinks being more evil in terms of selling out/ being detrimental to your health though.
Do all the 30+ crew on here really not have credit cards?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year